The BigFooty Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So a technical committe eh!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...to-receive-help-from-technical-committee.html

The committee will advise manager Brendan Rodgers but will also, interestingly, take on a much wider role as to how Liverpool is run, the type of football the club will play and all the 'technical’ aspects that are sometimes taken by a director of football.

Although Rodgers, as part of his negotiations to take over at Anfield, insisted he would not work directly for a director of football, despite Liverpool sounding out several candidates, including former Dutch coach Louis van Gaal, the club has not ruled out eventually making the appointment.

Can see that ending in tears. Personally I think it's a concept that doesn't always deserve the bad press it gets, but I can't see Rodgers allowing too much interference.

So a technical committe eh!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...to-receive-help-from-technical-committee.html

Can see that ending in tears. Personally I think it's a concept that doesn't always deserve the bad press it gets, but I can't see Rodgers allowing too much interference.

This was always the plan for FSG, regardless of who took over from Kenny as manager. I think it's a good idea in terms of creating accountability for decision making and continuity of the clubs philosophies such that they are not reliant on any one manager coming in and making dramatic changes to playing style etc. The fact that Rodgers explicitly said he wouldn't work underneath a director of football means that this 'committee' will likely act in more of an advisory capacity, supporting Rodgers rather than telling him what to do. Most clubs have something similar these days, Brian Marwood is heavily involved in the decision making on transfers etc at City, working alongside Mancini in this capacity and Barcelona are renowned for their faith in this sort of model. I think as long as the people we bring in have similar ideas on football to Rodgers and by extension reflect the clubs own philosophies I can't see too much of a problem as long as everyone is working towards the same end goal.

This was always the plan for FSG, regardless of who took over from Kenny as manager. I think it's a good idea in terms of creating accountability for decision making and continuity of the clubs philosophies such that they are not reliant on any one manager coming in and making dramatic changes to playing style etc. The fact that Rodgers explicitly said he wouldn't work underneath a director of football means that this 'committee' will likely act in more of an advisory capacity, supporting Rodgers rather than telling him what to do. Most clubs have something similar these days, Brian Marwood is heavily involved in the decision making on transfers etc at City, working alongside Mancini in this capacity and Barcelona are renowned for their faith in this sort of model. I think as long as the people we bring in have similar ideas on football to Rodgers and by extension reflect the clubs own philosophies I can't see too much of a problem as long as everyone is working towards the same end goal.

Like I said I think the concept gets unneccessary bad press at times. I like it for transfers and as much as British managers dislike it I suspect the days of one man having carte blanche on transfers at a club are nearing an end.

I worry about the input a committee would have on the type of football being played. Surely that is solely down to the manager, and you consider style of play etc when choosing that manager.

Either way, the "committee" style is something that does result in conflict, and unless Rodgers is totally comfortable with being "advised" I can see problems ahead. I see him as someone who is fairly committed to doing things his way, and IIRC correctly one of his complaints when he was at Reading was that he wasn't left alone to do things the way he thought best.

At City, transfers are decided between Marwood, Ferran Serriano (our new CEO) and Mancini. As far as style of play I think that is left up to Mancini, although if things aren't going well I'm sure the board wouldn't be backwards in stepping in with "assistance". It never worked with Hughes as manager, and was one of the main reasons why he was replaced (the board wanted to bring in another coach to support Hughes' team, but Hughes refused). But Hughes, like a lot of British managers has the mindset that the manager controls the lot. Mancini was pretty comfortable working by committee from the outset.

Marwoods main role is sorting the academy and scouting setups, he's obviously had a bigger role on transfers while we were waiting for the appointment of Serriano.

This has probably been mentioned, but is anyone else excited to watch the 'Being Liverpool' show that FoxSports keep advertising? Hopefully it is as good as the ads suggest!

This has probably been mentioned, but is anyone else excited to watch the 'Being Liverpool' show that FoxSports keep advertising? Hopefully it is as good as the ads suggest!
So keen for it!

Like I said I think the concept gets unneccessary bad press at times. I like it for transfers and as much as British managers dislike it I suspect the days of one man having carte blanche on transfers at a club are nearing an end.

I worry about the input a committee would have on the type of football being played. Surely that is solely down to the manager, and you consider style of play etc when choosing that manager.

Either way, the "committee" style is something that does result in conflict, and unless Rodgers is totally comfortable with being "advised" I can see problems ahead. I see him as someone who is fairly committed to doing things his way, and IIRC correctly one of his complaints when he was at Reading was that he wasn't left alone to do things the way he thought best.

At City, transfers are decided between Marwood, Ferran Serriano (our new CEO) and Mancini. As far as style of play I think that is left up to Mancini, although if things aren't going well I'm sure the board wouldn't be backwards in stepping in with "assistance". It never worked with Hughes as manager, and was one of the main reasons why he was replaced (the board wanted to bring in another coach to support Hughes' team, but Hughes refused). But Hughes, like a lot of British managers has the mindset that the manager controls the lot. Mancini was pretty comfortable working by committee from the outset.

Marwoods main role is sorting the academy and scouting setups, he's obviously had a bigger role on transfers while we were waiting for the appointment of Serriano.

I don't worry about the idea of a technical committee providing assistance to Rodgers so much as I worry about whether the right people are selected to join it, if their philosophies mirror Rodgers own then it could be a very positive environment. For example, there may be tactical issues that Rodgers could be overlooking that one of them are able to pick up on, and I'd rather we had 4 or 5 people looking at recruitment than the 1 or 2 we have at present. I wouldn't expect the club to hire a big ego with opposing ideas on how the club should be run, and I'd anticipate that at the end of the day Rodgers will get the final say anyway given they were the terms under which he took the job in the first place.

Regarding player recruitment, as it stands we have Ian Ayre running the shop by himself, a situation which I have absolutely no faith in - he's been fantastic at securing commercial deals for the club, but in terms of bringing in players (which admittedly is not his strength) he has been decidedly lacklustre so far. Continually allowing Liverpool to be held to ransom by the selling clubs and player agents for outrageous contracts and transfer fees (Messr's Downing and Carroll, I'm looking at you).

On top of this we have no scouts until David Fallows (new head of scouting and recruitment) and his team join from Manchester City (which due to contractual obligations may not happen until the end of this month). So to be honest, any restructuring would be an improvement on what Rodgers has to work with at the moment. I personally wouldn't be surprised to see Rodolfo Borrell and Frank McParland given increased input with the seniors given both have been working at developing a Barcelona type model at our academy for the last 2-3 years and I'm sure like Rodgers, they would have a comprehensive understanding of what is required on a technical and tactical level to implement that model.

Rodgers
They've just got rid of one mersey messiah that wasted money like it was going out of fashion, why would they go straight to another?
Rodgers is on same path with regards to wasting money. Buying Allen for 15 million pounds is a complete waste when he shouldve put that money to good use in going harder to secure Dempsey who wanted to come to Liverpool. All the while he has let Carroll and Adam go as they were reportedly out of favour with him which shouldnt have happened and therfore leaves us with one noted forward in Suarez. I can already see a long season ahead for Liverpool and rodgers may not last the season out if they continue to perform the way theyve started

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rodgers is on same path with regards to wasting money. Buying Allen for 15 million pounds is a complete waste when he shouldve put that money to good use in going harder to secure Dempsey who wanted to come to Liverpool.

Allen wanted to come to Liverpool too and he's got 10 years of playing in the red ahead of him. If his performances so far are anything to go by he looks worth every cent.

Allen wanted to come to Liverpool too and he's got 10 years of playing in the red ahead of him. If his performances so far are anything to go by he looks worth every cent.
You telling me he is better than Dempsey. We dont need a player like Allen but Dempsey on the other hand wouldve been a far better signing as brings more to the table

They've just got rid of one mersey messiah that wasted money like it was going out of fashion, why would they go straight to another?
Buying terrible players has become a part of the bin dipper culture, at least Benitez has proven he can overachieve with a lousy squad.

He made 2 Champions League finals and a semi final as well as taking the club to its best league finish in 20+ years during his time at the club. I don't think anyone could reasonably look at anything Rafa did in his time at Liverpool and call it wasteful. Fergie and Mancini have both wasted far more money on below average players than Rafa ever did.

You telling me he is better than Dempsey. We dont need a player like Allen but Dempsey on the other hand wouldve been a far better signing as brings more to the table

From a holistic viewpoint, Allen is a much better signing as he'll provide service for longer and so far his quality is undoubtable. Also, you're having a laugh if you don't think we needed him. So far this season he's looked like our only cm capable of playing the tika taka system.

Why do you think it was a mistake to let Adam go? Absolute deadweight.

Exhibit A of Rafa's disgracefully wasteful spending, £600,000 17 year old Raheem Sterling has just been called up to the England squad. Unbelievable, congratulations to the lad.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...gland-squad-after-Theo-Walcott-withdraws.html
Fast becoming one of the most overrated players going around. Baffled he's getting starts for the current Liverpool side and now he's getting called up to England? Guess it's no surprise seeing as Hodgson hasn't been sacked yet.

Buying terrible players has become a part of the bin dipper culture, at least Benitez has proven he can overachieve with a lousy squad.

Remember where you are so watch your tone

Fast becoming one of the most overrated players going around. Baffled he's getting starts for the current Liverpool side and now he's getting called up to England? Guess it's no surprise seeing as Hodgson hasn't been sacked yet.

Any chance you're going to grace our thread (or any other thread for that matter) with something constructive for a change? No-one's suggesting he's a world beater just yet, but the kid has undeniable potential and is progressing far quicker than anyone anticipated. He's starting for his club because he's earnt that right through consistent performances over preseason and the 1st few games. Without doubt Rodgers would be shielding him from this exposure if he could but because Assaidi isn't 100% fit yet and we missed out on our other transfer targets on the final day he is getting an opportunity to show that even at his age he is capable of performing in the EPL.

Exhibit A of Rafa's disgracefully wasteful spending, £600,000 17 year old Raheem Sterling has just been called up to the England squad. Unbelievable, congratulations to the lad.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...gland-squad-after-Theo-Walcott-withdraws.html

Thats £600,000 can rise to £5,000,000 I've read. Also I highly doubt Rafa had a lot to do with the signing of a 15 year old. Though he may, I didn't follow soccer(football) like I do now when Rafa was in charge. But good on the kid though this could be just trying to make sterling officially an english player as he can play for jamaica if he wants.

Remember where you are so watch your tone
Oh please, anything negative I say pales in comparison to some of the stuff that was said after your match with Arsenal. Also, you can't deny it, right now, Liverpool have a weak squad, plain and simply. It'll likely stay that way until next summer at least.

Any chance you're going to grace our thread (or any other thread for that matter) with something constructive for a change? No-one's suggesting he's a world beater just yet, but the kid has undeniable potential and is progressing far quicker than anyone anticipated. He's starting for his club because he's earnt that right through consistent performances over preseason and the 1st few games. Without doubt Rodgers would be shielding him from this exposure if he could but because Assaidi isn't 100% fit yet and we missed out on our other transfer targets on the final day he is getting an opportunity to show that even at his age he is capable of performing in the EPL.

What I'm saying is that he shouldn't be playing first team football at all. He's occasionally displayed good bits of skill, but offers very little goal threat, doesn't create much and overall, isn't close to being ready for Premier League football. Like it or not, Stewart Downing is the one who should be playing for your mob. Sure he was a poor signing, but he still offers valuable experience and you looked a lot better against Arsenal when he came on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back