The Bigfooty Liverpool Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The club statement is absolutely embarrassing by the way - literally 3 lines with not a word of apology from the owners.

"Liverpool Football Club can confirm that our involvement in proposed plans to form a European Super League has been discontinued.

In recent days, the club has received representations from various key stakeholders, both internally and externally, and we would like to thank them for their valuable contributions."

That's it. That's all they could muster up after nearly trashing 130 years of history with one decision that had no consultation with the fans, the players or the staff. Thanks for the financial backing FSG, but it's all over after that.

Need to try and get a 50+1 rule up like the Bundesliga.

Jeez, what a couple of days. FSG have shown their true colors - I always thought they were pretty benign but really shows Glazer level disrespect for the club. I really don't like the criticism that has been leveled at Klopp or Hendo. They have shown absolute class and character and although the owners are total scum the fan base should be proud of the way the team has responded. I love European football as it is - playing say Real Madrid at Anfield once every five years is what makes it magical. This is part of the soul of the club, those 'Anfield nights' and they were prepared to just smash it. I hope the PL and or the British government completely goes nuts and does something pretty big to curtail the influence of these types of owners.

Jeez, what a couple of days. FSG have shown their true colors - I always thought they were pretty benign but really shows Glazer level disrespect for the club. I really don't like the criticism that has been leveled at Klopp or Hendo. They have shown absolute class and character and although the owners are total scum the fan base should be proud of the way the team has responded. I love European football as it is - playing say Real Madrid at Anfield once every five years is what makes it magical. This is part of the soul of the club, those 'Anfield nights' and they were prepared to just smash it. I hope the PL and or the British government completely goes nuts and does something pretty big to curtail the influence of these types of owners.

Simple answer is mandate 51% fan ownership. That model works for Liverpool, there would be plenty of fans that would buy into that. We don't rely on FSG for funding either, if they stay they can keep running the club but the fans would have the final say.

UEFA winning isn't a good thing either

Back to unlimited spending by oil clubs, broken FFP and a shitty new format for the CL

The spotlight now needs to move onto UEFA and look at the reasons why these clubs felt it was the way to go and why it was able to happen in the first place.

Now that that is over, there needs to be a groundswell of support for moving club ownership to the German model.

Remember that Liverpool, as a club, only spends what it earns, so the effect of moving to the German model would be to bring the billionaire playthings (namely Chelsea and Manchester City) back to the pack. Manchester United would also have to resolve their debt situation.

It was a mistake and the outcome was as inevitable as it was predictable. Now to wait and see what competitions we will be playing in next season (my feeling is EPL yes, UEFA comps no).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club statement is absolutely embarrassing by the way - literally 3 lines with not a word of apology from the owners.

That's it. That's all they could muster up after nearly trashing 130 years of history with one decision that had no consultation with the fans, the players or the staff. Thanks for the financial backing FSG, but it's all over after that.

Yeah Arsenal were the only one to actually apologise in their statement. But to be honest an apology means nothing. FSG did what they did. They are dead to us now.

#FSGOUT

didn't we already trash 100 years of history breaking away from the football league to the prem? is this not just another breakaway (attempt)? idk, the way i see it the system is corrupt and the system they were trying to move into is corrupt. i can't direct anger at any one faction right now, we don't actually know the power plays happening behind the scenes.

didn't we already trash 100 years of history breaking away from the football league to the prem? is this not just another breakaway (attempt)? idk, the way i see it the system is corrupt and the system they were trying to move into is corrupt. i can't direct anger at any one faction right now, we don't actually know the power plays happening behind the scenes.

This isn't wrong really. I was ignorant of the changes coming in to the Champs League anyway (10 games against 10 different opponents replacing the group stage) and that's pretty bad as is. Regardless of whether the current set up is corrupt the proposed system was more corrupt. It's been worth it just to see the torrents of abuse hurled at the owners.

Almost seems as if the clubs involved were surprised with the reactions .... how could they not see that response coming ?

Billionaires out of touch with the common man? Who'd have thought.

Indeed, very dissapointing. Its been a crazy 13 months. Hopefully back to normal on Sunday when Spurs choke in a final.

I wouldn't be opposed to something like the German model being implemented in the EPL but I hope fans are prepared for a much smaller scale competition and far fewer of the world's best players. That's been the experience in Germany.

Breaking away isn't the issue for me, it's the removal of qualifying on merit. 20+ years guaranteed is wrong.

We should only be in it if we make the top 4. If 2 of West Ham and Leicester or Chelsea finished above us, they deserve that spot for that season.

I think I was disgusted and outraged over Hicks and Gillette so much back in the day that I feel with what they've done over their journey, FSG shouldn't be lumped in quite the same boat.

Obviously this recent action went horribly against the spirit of the clubs history and supporters, but I consider it a stain against their names, but am prepared to judge them further down the track on what they've achieved with and for the club.

In some respect I sympathise - They've been bombarded by supporter discontent at the lack of transfer funds their entire tenure, yet when they try to mitigate financial loss via furlough or raise the revenue significantly as in this recent fiasco, they cop it aswell. (Understanding there surely had to be better ways of going about it than their Superleague approach)

UEFA winning isn't a good thing either

Back to unlimited spending by oil clubs, broken FFP and a shitty new format for the CL
This!!!! I actually see some good in the clubs standing up to Uefa/Fifa. I mean, the line "the fans have won today" keeps getting said, but what have we exactly won? Ridiculous ticket prices for games? Sky Sports (and for us Optus) coverage which basically focus on the big clubs anyway? A shitty new champions league format that clubs/managers/players don't want? A world cup in Qatar? Football and basically every sport sold out decades ago. The lesser of 2 evils won. Look I wasn't for this, but if a better breakaway comp thought out better was on offer that breaks away from Uefa/Fifa corruption, I'd be for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back