The Bigfooty Liverpool Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

What upsets me most is that realistically this was our only shot at a trophy this season. We won’t even make Top 4 in the EPL without two decent CB signings/loans. Imagine what the European powerhouses would do to us in the CL.

Last edited:
It's frustrating, because we are dealing with successful people who are also quite stubborn. FSG don't want to overpay and want to be patient waiting for the right signing, but we need a CB three months ago.

Klopp plays a system that works most of the time, but he's not pragmatic enough when it doesn't. Also, he will play Williams above Phillips, which is good for the future but probably not the best idea right now in the pursuit of winning games this year.

It's frustrating, because we are dealing with successful people who are also quite stubborn. FSG don't want to overpay and want to be patient waiting for the right signing, but we need a CB three months ago.

Klopp plays a system that works most of the time, but he's not pragmatic enough when it doesn't. Also, he will play Williams above Phillips, which is good for the future but probably not the best idea right now in the pursuit of winning games this year.

Klopp was the perfect fit for the club for a host of reasons, but one (and I stress only one of many) of them was that he realised we weren't as $ stacked as clubs like City, Chelsea and United and he respected that. So whilst he often gets panned for playing an inexperienced kid or not changing formation for example, he doesn't complain about what we have (or don't have) even though it places him in less than ideal position a lot of the time in a gameday managerial sense.

He effectively carries the can for shielding the owners as best possible from unhappy supporters and is what drove a tight-knit whole of club approach that has delivered so much for us in his tenure. Not saying he's faultless, as none of the puzzle pieces would be, but I think he regularly takes a bullet without looking to deflect the blame as many other managers have/would.

Klopp was the perfect fit for the club for a host of reasons, but one (and I stress only one of many) of them was that he realised we weren't as $ stacked as clubs like City, Chelsea and United and he respected that. So whilst he often gets panned for playing an inexperienced kid or not changing formation for example, he doesn't complain about what we have (or don't have) even though it places him in less than ideal position a lot of the time in a gameday managerial sense.

He effectively carries the can for shielding the owners as best possible from unhappy supporters and is what drove a tight-knit whole of club approach that has delivered so much for us in his tenure. Not saying he's faultless, as none of the puzzle pieces would be, but I think he regularly takes a bullet without looking to deflect the blame as many other managers have/would.

Pretty much, Jurg's very accommodating the best of times, but even he has gone out and make so much noise about buying a CB the past few days, probably trying to leverage and pressure the owners into acting. As he should, any club in Europe would act if they have no fit CBs, even if it's a loan

FSG's gonna cop it if this season goes **** up

Pretty much, Jurg's very accommodating the best of times, but even he has gone out and make so much noise about buying a CB the past few days, probably trying to leverage and pressure the owners into acting. As he should, any club in Europe would act if they have no fit CBs, even if it's a loan

FSG's gonna cop it if this season goes **** up

Yeah they've certainly put themselves back in the firing line among many supporters. Cant recall (certainly in the last 20-30 years anyway) the club being so well run, so people need to balance their expectation with commercial reality. Tough in this instance though because you would think we could land a CB - Even if only a temporary one - For markedly less $ than what missing UCL qualification would cost us.

I have some sympathy for FSG.

They own Liverpool and the Redsox and some other smaller sports teams and events. Right now they are earning zero revenue from Anfield and zero revenue from Fenway Park from either sports of events.

They are not Abromovich who has probably increased his wealth through Covid.

It is a s**t situation and sending the club broke which might mean breaking up what Liverpool has is not really a smart option.

Liverpools woes are not FSG's fault. They started with VVD getting injured and if you believe The Guardian VVD is the 10th best player in the world. He is also unlucky to not have won the Ballon d'or. Even if they wanted too you cannot simply replace that quality.

The rest of Liverpool's woes can be largely put down to TAA, Mane and Firmino playing like s**t. And Keita, Gomez and Matip being forever injured.

Liverpool have faced adversity this season and they have not been able to cover it. Plain and simple. City could not last year as well when their defence was decimated (their holding CM played CB all year as well).

Personally I would prefer Klopp just went back to heavy metal football where we score 3 and hope the opposition score less but the truth is Liverpool can barely score at all.

Buying CB's is not magically going to fix that.

Right now I just hope City prevent Manure from winning it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think most Liverpool fans would prefer it if other clubs had to play by the same rules we play by - that is, that the football club itself is a going concern. City and Chelsea do not pay for themselves. United are leveraged to the eyeballs because they are a money-making machine. Arsenal and Tottenham play by the same rules Liverpool plays by, and neither have won the league in a long time, or won the UCL at all.

I think most Liverpool fans would prefer it if other clubs had to play by the same rules we play by - that is, that the football club itself is a going concern. City and Chelsea do not pay for themselves. United are leveraged to the eyeballs because they are a money-making machine. Arsenal and Tottenham play by the same rules Liverpool plays by, and neither have won the league in a long time, or won the UCL at all.

Does that mean Liverpool have to play by the same rules as Burley or Palace?

We need to be careful what we wish for ;)

Does that mean Liverpool have to play by the same rules as Burley or Palace?

We need to be careful what we wish for ;)

We are obviously a bigger club than those two, although I would suggest Palace underperform considering the talent they have in their squad.

Burnley? I have no time for those donkeys.

I have some sympathy for FSG.

They own Liverpool and the Redsox and some other smaller sports teams and events. Right now they are earning zero revenue from Anfield and zero revenue from Fenway Park from either sports of events.

They are not Abromovich who has probably increased his wealth through Covid.

It is a sh*t situation and sending the club broke which might mean breaking up what Liverpool has is not really a smart option.

Liverpools woes are not FSG's fault. They started with VVD getting injured and if you believe The Guardian VVD is the 10th best player in the world. He is also unlucky to not have won the Ballon d'or. Even if they wanted too you cannot simply replace that quality.

The rest of Liverpool's woes can be largely put down to TAA, Mane and Firmino playing like sh*t. And Keita, Gomez and Matip being forever injured.

Liverpool have faced adversity this season and they have not been able to cover it. Plain and simple. City could not last year as well when their defence was decimated (their holding CM played CB all year as well).

Personally I would prefer Klopp just went back to heavy metal football where we score 3 and hope the opposition score less but the truth is Liverpool can barely score at all.

Buying CB's is not magically going to fix that.

Right now I just hope City prevent Manure from winning it all.

I do agree to some extent there are mitigating circumstances. But VVD went down months ago - that's given us plenty of time to come up with some form of solution that provides cover at the CB position without breaking the bank. Surely there is a player available in a lower European league or someone in one of the Big 5 Leagues on loan that would be an upgrade on R.Williams/Phillips?

And longer term, the real question is what is the strategy given FSG coffers won't refill any time soon? Do we look to cash in one of the front 3, bank on Jota and spend in other areas? Sad as it is I think we may have to break up the band and make a few decisions on guys like Keita/Shaqiri/Minamoto/Oxlade-Chamberlain who are nice luxuries and good players, but could be moved on to better balance up the squad for next year.

If you're going to "cash in" on those types, you need to take the best the market offers. With particular regard to Shaqiri and Origi, they are both still at Liverpool because the club was never offered what it considered a fair amount.

Well, they're not worth anything if you don't sell and don't play them. Both are getting some minutes at the moment, but you need to realise the value of the asset. Same with Harry Wilson.

No sympathy for FSG. They’re a company profiting off sports. COVID has hit them hard, no doubt. But this could get dangerous in that a world class team in Liverpool is held back by an American Baseball franchise. I’d rather a buyer like Abrahmovich in these circumstances. United have had a quell for years. No dramas for them as they have the right wealthy buyers.

I'm sure we've at least made some enquiries about buying/loaning a CB, but I'm guessing every potential selling club senses our predicament and is trying to bend us over. On previous history Michael Edwards is not the type to be bent over over easily but with our season slipping away it may be his to turn to clench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back