The Brad Crouch Apology Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm calling it now. If b and m crouch stay free of injury til end of next year, I think Sloane can win the Brownlow next year unless brad goes up another gear in which he will take votes of Sloane.

Will be better than Roo when he's done.

Gun.
I love Brad as much as anyone, but that's a step too far. Roo is with McLeod easily the 1st or 2nd best player ever for the Crows (take your pick who comes first, but no one would put anyone else 1 or 2), a Hall of Famer and has a fricken stand at the Adelaide Oval named after him!

Roo was a talent beyond 99.9% of players. A gun mid fielder, who could go forward and kick a bag - he kicked 5+ goals 10 times in his career. Brad is a dead set gun, MVP and Browlow medal capable, but he has a looooong way to go to be compared to Roo.

I think best to keep it contemporary - I think within 3 years he will be considered among the best 5 players in the league. He's 3 years younger the Dusty, 4 years younger than Dangerfield. Both of them are better goal kickers than Brad, but Brad has them beat for possessions and tackles.

http://www.therebels.com.au/latest-news/grand-final-rebels-day-3-brad-crouch

Brad Crouch was a unique part of AFL history before even playing his first game, and now in what will be his 61st AFL game, he could be part of more unique AFL history as his Adelaide Crows strive for their third AFL premiership.

After an outstanding bottom-age season with the Rebels in 2011, where he made the Under 18 All-Australian side after also impressing for Vic Country, Crouch was taken as one of two selections in the one-off “mini draft” held at the conclusion of the 2011 season, which came about through draft concessions to Greater Western Sydney, who were set to enter the AFL the next season. The Giants traded one of these selections, which could only be used to select 17 year old players not eligible for the 2011 AFL National Draft and who would not be able to play AFL football in 2012, to the Crows, who promptly snapped up the Beaufort junior.

Crouch’s trademark since making his AFL debut in Round 2, 2013 has been his toughness, something Rebels Talent Manager Phil Partington saw in him during his time at the Rebels, and Partington was quick to reflect on just how good a player Crouch was at TAC Cup level

“[Brad’s] probably one of the best players we’ve ever had play at the Rebels”, Partington told therebels.com.au earlier this week.

“We only had him for the one year as he was picked up as a mini-draft player as a 17 year old”.

“He oozes class, with a good football brain and is as tough as they come”.

Along with brother Matt, Brad Crouch is set to play a big part in what could be a history-making day for the Crows, and one that could give Crouch another unique piece of AFL history as one of only a few sets of brothers to play in an AFL premiership side together.

I think he is a good chance for the Normie. His finals series has been excellent and the space at the MCG will provide him with more ability to break away with his pace.

I would love to see him win the premiership and Normie. Would make all the heart break due to serious injuries a thing of the past. Would also give him a HUGE confidence boost heading into the pre-season so he can go into the beast mode for whole of next year :eek:

have to put my hand up and apologise. i thought brad would be nothing more than an average player but as the year has gone on, he has changed my mind. he looks so dangerous running forward from a contest whereas in the past he has looked sideways and backwards. his kicking has improved significantly as has his confidence. smokey for the norm smith if we win on saturday.

O'Meara and Brad went 1,2 in the 17 year old mini draft in 2011. First off - does anyone know how that worked. Could they choose *any* 17 year olds, or did they have to nominate for it as well?

Given we were kicked out of the 2012 draft that was a bloody good choice given a) Brad would not have been available by the time we had a pick in 2012 and b) even if he did slip to where we would have been, we weren't there to have that pick!

What was the consensus for where Brad would have gone in the 2012 draft? A reminder of that draft (a pretty dud first 4)

Round Pick Player Recruited from League Drafted to Notes
1 Lachie Whitfield - Greater Western Sydney
2 Jonathan O'Rourke - Greater Western Sydney (Traded from Gold Coast)
3 Lachie Plowman - Greater Western Sydney (Traded from Melbourne)
4 Jimmy Toumpas - Melbourne (uncontracted player compensation pick (Scully)
5 Jake Stringer - Western Bulldogs
6 Jack Macrae - Western Bulldogs (uncontracted player compensation pick (Ward)
7 Ollie Wines - Port Adelaide
8 Sam Mayes - Brisbane Lions
9 Nick Vlastuin - Richmond
10 Joe Daniher - Essendon (Father-son selection)
11 Troy Menzel - Carlton
12 Kristian Jaksch - Greater Western Sydney
13 Jesse Lonergan - Gold Coast
14 Aidan Corr - Greater Western Sydney
15 Taylor Garner - North Melbourne
16 Jackson Thurlow - Geelong
17 Josh Simpson - Fremantle
18 Brodie Grundy - Collingwood
19 Ben Kennedy - Collingwood
20 Would have been us.

have to put my hand up and apologise. i thought brad would be nothing more than an average player but as the year has gone on, he has changed my mind. he looks so dangerous running forward from a contest whereas in the past he has looked sideways and backwards. his kicking has improved significantly as has his confidence. smokey for the norm smith if we win on saturday.
I was going to comment mentioning how dangerous he is running forward. I love his ability to change direction quickly and force the running defender into a mistake. It's a weapon we only saw in glimpses in his first season so it's great to see him use it consistently this year. He's looked super quick this finals series too and reckon he'll be a huge factor toward us winning on Saturday. He was still working into some kind of form in Round 6 and didn't have much impact. Can't wait!

O'Meara and Brad went 1,2 in the 17 year old mini draft in 2011. First off - does anyone know how that worked. Could they choose *any* 17 year olds, or did they have to nominate for it as well?

Given we were kicked out of the 2012 draft that was a bloody good choice given a) Brad would not have been available by the time we had a pick in 2012 and b) even if he did slip to where we would have been, we weren't there to have that pick!

What was the consensus for where Brad would have gone in the 2012 draft? A reminder of that draft (a pretty dud first 4)

11 Troy Menzel - Carlton
20 Would have been us.

Had to nominate,notable names not drafted include Ben Kennedy, Dayle Gartlett, Chris Yarran, Brodie Grundy and Jake Stringer.

A hell of a lot of them were never drafted.

The players who nominated by this week’s deadline were: Chase Bower (Norwood, SA), Adam Carter (South Fremantle, WA), Brad Crouch (North Ballarat Rebels, Vic), Dayle Garlett (Swan Districts, WA), Brodie Grundy (Sturt, SA), Matthew Haynes (Northern Knights, Vic), Riley Hutchinson (East Perth, WA), Emmanuel Irra (South Adelaide, SA), Ben Kennedy (Glenelg, SA), Aaron Loccon (Norwood, SA), Sean Lynch (South Fremantle, WA), Todd McKay (South Adelaide, SA), Jaeger O’Meara (Dongara/ Railways, WA), Jonathan O’Rourke (Calder Cannons, Vic), Jason Pongracic (Dandenong Stingrays, Vic), Mason Shaw (South Fremantle, WA), Josh Simpson (North Adelaide, SA), Jake Stringer (Bendigo Pioneers, Vic), Shannon Taylor (Claremont, WA), Jimmy Toumpas (Woodville West Torrens, SA), Nick Vlastuin (Northern Knights, Vic), Matt Wallis (Norwood, SA), Laine Wilkins (Peel Thunder, WA), Daniel Williamson (Norwood, SA), Christopher Yarran (Perth, WA).

11 Troy Menzel - Carlton
20 Would have been us.
Nobody would know for sure but Hamish is on record as saying if they couldn't have got Brad in the Mini Draft they were not interested in taking part as we would be giving up too much otherwise......I think that was with the knowledge the GCS had 1st dibs on Jaeger O'Meara in the mini draft.That likely indicates O'Meara would have gone 1 and Brad 2. Luke Brown was the sweetener and the real reason he's on our list is we wanted Brad badly.
Hamish also said Brown would have been long gone by our pick in the 2012 draft as he'd played some good SANFL footy for Norwood as an over ager. Hamish and Rendell were actually kicking themselves they didn't draft Luke the year before after getting some real good intel from one of the Norwood coaches whose name escapes me at the moment.

Nobody would know for sure but Hamish is on record as saying if they couldn't have got Brad in the Mini Draft they were not interested in taking part as we would be giving up too much otherwise......I think that was with the knowledge the GCS had 1st dibs on Jaeger O'Meara in the mini draft.That likely indicates O'Meara would have gone 1 and Brad 2. Luke Brown was the sweetener and the real reason he's on our list is we wanted Brad badly.
Hamish also said Brown would have been long gone by our pick in the 2012 draft as he'd played some good SANFL footy for Norwood as an over ager. Hamish and Rendell were actually kicking themselves they didn't draft Luke the year before after getting some real good intel from one of the Norwood coaches whose name escapes me at the moment.
Brouch + Brown > Davis (+ was it pick 10?).

From the memory bank (and before my time) - the thread announcing the Crouch Brown trade

Some early comparisons!
"Might be going overboard here, but that video of Crouch just screams Joel Selwood"
"Crouch reminds me a little of Goddard"
"my first impressions were ...Holy s**t! he plays like a cross between joel Selwood and Steve Johnson"
"Crouch reminds me a lot of Dal Santo"
"Hopefully he develops into a Selwood or a Hodge tier player"
"Reminds me of cotchin a bit"

Also bullet dodged:
"Crouch apparently is the better player but they seriously considered Toumpas given he's a local lad"

But there was "Christ I hope we get Toumpas next year"

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/brad-crouch-and-luke-brown.881897/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also bullet dodged:
"Crouch apparently is the better player but they seriously considered Toumpas given he's a local lad"

But there was "Christ I hope we get Toumpas next year"

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/brad-crouch-and-luke-brown.881897/

The thing with Toumpas is the talent was/is there, but he's been on the list of two rabbles, and clubs that are appaling at developing talent. Considering our track record, he may have been able to eke out a decent career if he had become a Crow.

The thing with Toumpas is the talent was/is there, but he's been on the list of two rabbles, and clubs that are appaling at developing talent. Considering our track record, he may have been able to eke out a decent career if he had become a Crow.
Nup. soft as....

gXnKJ3.gif

Anyone saying that Brad did not have a good year and a great second half od 2017 season has no business commenting on football. Brad had a very good season and built on the games he played the year before.

Given a good preseason and a natural development, he will be in for a bigger and better 2018. Some of his inside work especially in the 2nd half of the year has been elite.

Anyone saying that Brad did not have a good year and a great second half od 2017 season has no business commenting on football. Brad had a very good season and built on the games he played the year before.

Given a good preseason and a natural development, he will be in for a bigger and better 2018. Some of his inside work especially in the 2nd half of the year has been elite.
We set the bar very high for Brad, unfairly so IMO. He had a great year and can get much better too

Anyone saying that?

And Brad was kicking the ball more at last ....rather than instinctively handballing :thumbsu:

He should, in 2018, be the beneficiary of;

1. The acquisition of Gibbs; and
2. The rise and rise of his brother.

Being our 4th string mid should open up a host of opportunity to carve out an elite season.
Imo, Brouch is more likely to be our best midfielder rather than 4th string next year... but it is a far better looking team when we have 4 quality midfielders as going to be hard to shut them all down!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back