The Chopping Block

Lucky Star

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2003
APW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With the seniors sitting at 2-3 and the reserves 2-2, now might be a good time to take stock of all those Bulldogs employees who have been earmarked by those on BF for sacking, trade, delisting, banishment, lethal injection, etc or labelled as just no bloody good.

McCartney (obvious and ongoing)
Chris Maple - reserves coach

Wallis
Higgins
Stringer (should have taken Wines)
Williams
Tutt
Hrovat (has never shown anything)
Howard
Young
Fuller (special mention)
Goodes
Cordy

The entire rookie list

Special mention to the dude who said he was "sickened" by the way Crameri was playing in the preseason.

Seriously we have gone from a supporter base accused of "accepting mediocrity" to a bunch of self-loathing, fair-weather, knee-jerk sooks.

So, anyway, who's next on... the Chopping Block?

Welcome to the irrational world of passionate footy fans.

But let's not do what you are accusing others of: overreacting.

I think you need to differentiate between what a vocal minority say and what the majority might think (and often say). I haven't tallied up who is in which corner for each and every player listed above but I think it's mainly just a few people keen on making some big statements that make it seem like we're "a bunch of self-loathing, fair-weather, knee-jerk sooks".

I think you also need to discount anything said shortly after the siren when we lose* because there's usually not much rationality for the first couple of hours.

I think only Christian Howard and maybe the rookies are out of favour with the great majority. Of the others:
  • Cordy and Williams have not set the world on fire like you would hope for a first round pick. So questioning where they are at is perfectly understandable. Wallis is also suffering a bit from the hype that came with his first round FS selection. However I'd say only a handful of supporters have given up on them altogether. They are entitled to that opinion.
  • Tutt has been in the system for a while and seems to have some fans and some detractors. He seems perpetually on the fringe of best 25 so surely it's OK to have some debate about him.
  • Fuller has so far disappointed as a mature age recruit. I suspect most are holding back on saying he has no future whatsoever as it's only 6 weeks into the season, but surely it's OK to say he hasn't shown much yet?
IMO the problem is that some of those who want to make a bold statement won't tolerate any dissent and quickly resort to abuse ("you know nuthin' about footy...") and then the tedious tit-for-tat stoushes start. Nothing wrong with bold statements - sometimes they are spot on - but we need to respect others who post here and support the club, even if we don't agree with them.

* Also when we win!

Williams - check.
Higgins - he has been a whipping boy for the last few seasons however due to injury I think he can still add value
Wallis - I wouldn't be calling for his head yet.. 5 round in...
Young - depth player

But IMO going off your recommendation to cull more than 1/2 the list is going to put us in the woes that Melbourne have been in for so long. There is no way that any club now would go down that path. Do you want to see us languishing where we are for another 5-8 years? * no.

Spud 4

Senior List
Dec 19, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks, Perth Scorchers
Bit harsh on Stringer and Hrovat, only just started their second year and played a handful of games. Turn it up.

Agree with Fuller though, should be doing more especially for a mature age recruit, Howard I think really must show something but doubt that is going to happen.

I might be wrong, but this thread is intended to take the piss, right Lucky Star?
That's the way I've seen it. Just pointing out how many players have been written off by different people on here. Does this take me off the chopping block LS?

Lucky Star

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2003
APW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's the way I've seen it. Just pointing out how many players have been written off by different people on here. Does this take me off the chopping block LS?

Correct. You have earned yourself a temporary reprieve.

IMO Hrovat is more likely to end up captain and Stringer will have a bridge named after him one day.

This is a discussion board and all that entails, you're never going to get a homogenous point of view.

I give you two elephant stamps for your use of sublety.

images

I would delist:

-Williams
-Cordy
-Howard
-Goodes
-Austin
-Redpath
-Greenwood
-Pearce

This give us the changes required to meet the minimum senior list turnover requirements and an additional two spots for this years bumper uncompromised (relatively) draft.

If we want to cut deeper into the list in order to land gems like Dahl and Honeychurch, I'd also look at these two:
-Tutt
-Jong

BRG93

The Beacon of BigFooty
Artist Western Bulldogs - Honeychurch/Austin/Prudden Player Sponsor 2014
Aug 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I would delist:

-Williams
-Cordy
-Howard
-Goodes
-Austin
-Redpath
-Greenwood
-Pearce

This give us the changes required to meet the minimum senior list turnover requirements and an additional two spots for this years bumper uncompromised (relatively) draft.

If we want to cut deeper into the list in order to land gems like Dahl and Honeychurch, I'd also look at these two:
-Tutt
-Jong
Pearce, Cordy, Tutt and Jong won't be Delisted but your right with the others

On Williams he is a good player (2009 Great Year) but from what has been seen this year he's got absolutely no confidence at all in his body which is a real shame

On Williams he is a good player (2009 Great Year) but from what has been seen this year he's got absolutely no confidence at all in his body which is a real shame
We've seen him for just two games, brought in ahead of time and underdone due to injury to Roughead and an educational issue with Talia.

He and the club have stuck by each other through mostly hard times. I don't know if he will return to his best form but I'm not going to give up on him just on the strength of those two games.

EDIT: One of those two games was quite OK, BTW.

total football

All Australian
Aug 21, 2010
Amsterdam
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Might be an easier exercise to list those who haven't been put on the chopping block?

Just off the top of my head...

...Dale Morris?

BRG93

The Beacon of BigFooty
Aug 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We've seen him for just two games, brought in ahead of time and underdone due to injury to Roughead and an educational issue with Talia.

He and the club have stuck by each other through mostly hard times. I don't know if he will return to his best form but I'm not going to give up on him just on the strength of those two games.

EDIT: One of those two games was quite OK, BTW.
Yeah Fair Point, I just don't know if we can continue to keep him on there maybe delist and then Rookie him, His a Ripper Bloke to Tom

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
With the seniors sitting at 2-3 and the reserves 2-2, now might be a good time to take stock of all those Bulldogs employees who have been earmarked by those on BF for sacking, trade, delisting, banishment, lethal injection, etc or labelled as just no bloody good.

McCartney (obvious and ongoing)
Chris Maple - reserves coach

Wallis
Higgins
Stringer (should have taken Wines)
Williams
Tutt
Hrovat (has never shown anything)
Howard
Young
Fuller (special mention)
Goodes
Cordy

The entire rookie list

Special mention to the dude who said he was "sickened" by the way Crameri was playing in the preseason.

Seriously we have gone from a supporter base accused of "accepting mediocrity" to a bunch of self-loathing, fair-weather, knee-jerk sooks.

So, anyway, who's next on... the Chopping Block?
McCartney - hero
Maple - puppet hero

Wallis - future co-captain
Higgins - not even soft
Stringer - Bridge named after him
Williams - will break record for consecutive games
Tutt - most consistent player on list
Hrovat - future co-captain
Howard - goodwill gesture to keep him away from SANFL clubs
Young - will set BOG record
Fuller - next Luke Hodge
Goodes - better than his brother
Cordy - Better than Naitanui but injured

Rookie list - future All Australian spine

Crameri - best forward in AFL

Bulldogs supporter base? Fickle.

BRG93

The Beacon of BigFooty
Aug 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Add the Muppet Dan Lonergan to the List, For being a Dickhead and Self Procaimed Expert

the dog's kennel

Premiership Player
Jan 7, 2007
The Land of Baileys
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'll put the unhelpfulness of the OP to one side to discuss the topic at hand.

Leaving aside the rookies we know these 3 are going at the end of the year:

Goodes
Gia
Howard

Other than that I don't think we can be sure in Round 6. As for Williams, I'm not optimistic. But it's hard to let him go if Roberts isn't going to make it, seeing as we have a chronic shortage of talls. A call needs to be made on Roberts this year and that may have a domino effect on both Williams and Austin. This is why I'd very much like to see Roberts get some gametime.

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I'm hoping no-one misconstrued my post as serious, although it would be nice if it all eventuated...

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Indeed.

Thread, return to your intended ways.

Indeed. I'd also get rid of these guys, in addition to the OP's listing:

Libba - lacks an outside game

Griff - lacks an inside game

Macrae - consistently gets less than 35 possessions, lazy, delist

Dalhaus - too short, and no longer has interesting hair

Bonts - after so many weeks in the system, has shown too little in all the AFL games he's played

Back