The Collingwood (Long) Chant

Remove this Banner Ad

We have the power of the biggest and loudest supporter base in the country and all you want to use it for is as a celebration when the game is already won (like it used to ie late Q4 when we’re 5 goals up)?

Crazy. We absolutely should use it to put energy back into the players, whether we’re in front or not, at critical parts of the game. The players themselves say it makes them lift, and opposition players hate it.

Is this a response to the OP, because that is absolutely not what I am suggesting…

Is this a response to the OP, because that is absolutely not what I am suggesting…

Nope my bad forgot to insert quote. Agree with you 100% on not overusing it outside the stadium nor making it tacky with megaphone starts.

Edit: I’ll add that it seems most efficient when we’re just starting to mount a comeback, because of the whole legend we’ve build it n the past 2y around our ability to get on top in Q4s.

We have the power of the biggest and loudest supporter base in the country and all you want to use it for is as a celebration when the game is already won (like it used to ie late Q4 when we’re 5 goals up)?

Crazy. We absolutely should use it to put energy back into the players, whether we’re in front or not, at critical parts of the game. The players themselves say it makes them lift, and opposition players hate it.

I think it’s an important part of the connection between us and the players and it is being used as we need organically. Sometimes it is to give energy, sometimes to show support in a critical moment.

Besides, Fly has been very stern about booing so sometimes the chant does the trick just as well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I may be old and out of touch, but I’m getting furious at emcees with microphones trying to stir up the chant in what strikes me as a very exploitative fashion.

It’s a battle cry which should take root amongst the fans in the outer, trying with everything we can muster to lift our black and white heroes to victory, and in doing so have it spread like wildfire around the ground.

Having some knob with a mike yelling “alright give us a Collllllllliiiiiiiiinnnnnnnggggggwwwoooooood!” in the line for merch at the AIA Centre is cringeworthy and lame and is going to cheapen and kill it for everybody.

Tell me if I’m out of line here…
You are not out of line at all.
The MC and the final training was an embarrassment as well. He was trying to rev the crowd up and it was so forced. These people should not be on the payroll.

During important games used as a weapon to lift the players it's: "Col-ling-wood".

When a commentator with a mic cheapens the whole thing by inviting the sacred chant during a training session it becomes: "Pine-ap-ple".

You're welcome...

I'll see myself out.

Last edited:
During important games used as a weapon to lift the players it's: "Col-ling-wood".

When a commentator with a mic cheapens the whole thing by inviting the sacred chant during a training session it becomes: "Pine-ap-ple".

You're welcome...

I'll see myself out.
You are obsessed.

You are obsessed.

On a serious note.

I have always pushed back on joining chants on request.

They are meant to occur naturally. One starts and others join without invitation. That's when it's tribal and not show-business.

On a serious note.

I have always pushed back on joining chants on request.

They are meant to occur naturally. One starts and others join without invitation. That's when it's tribal and not show-business.

giphy.gif

A person calling for a chant, rather than just starting it themselves, has no skin in the game. A microphone or megaphone just cheapens it further. If you’re doing the Collingwood chant it’s because you want to lift the players or rattle the opposition, not because you want others to pay attention to you. And it should come from deep within your soul…

Watch this for atmosphere.
I'd like it to be us singing this.

Listening to the “Overly Excited Podcast” featuring Jeremy Howe (thanks [mention]Visions [/mention] for the recommendation) and he comments on the chant. To him it’s not about when we’re winning but when we’re down or “things aren’t going as they should” and the chant breaks out. This is not how the chant started out, but it is what the chant has become and should continue to be about. To lift the players to another level, not simply crow about being good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been a bit too fast the past couple of years, the slower 02/03 version was better. You would really stretch out the "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD" back then.

It also used to only come out when we had the game won (with a couple of rare exceptions).

Listening to the “Overly Excited Podcast” featuring Jeremy Howe (thanks [mention]Visions [/mention] for the recommendation) and he comments on the chant. To him it’s not about when we’re winning but when we’re down or “things aren’t going as they should” and the chant breaks out. This is not how the chant started out, but it is what the chant has become and should continue to be about. To lift the players to another level, not simply crow about being good.

I dont normally stumble over old posts but this one is worth a "well said!" When things are at their bleakist, the supporters usually sit there like stunned mullets. I think it's here when the chant has its greatest effect.

Do we actually know when it was created or who by? Some drunken mates in the Ponsford Stand? We know its atleast as early as 2003 but hoping someone has a good memory of when abouts it became a thing as I was too young to know what was going on

Do we actually know when it was created or who by? Some drunken mates in the Ponsford Stand? We know its atleast as early as 2003 but hoping someone has a good memory of when abouts it became a thing as I was too young to know what was going on
It’s a copy of the Liverpool chant.

giphy.gif

A person calling for a chant, rather than just starting it themselves, has no skin in the game. A microphone or megaphone just cheapens it further. If you’re doing the Collingwood chant it’s because you want to lift the players or rattle the opposition, not because you want others to pay attention to you. And it should come from deep within your soul…

nice illustration of your point by using a piece of nicholas cage over-acting....

The first time I really noticed it was the 2010 Preliminary Final V Geelong. It may have been around longer but that night was the time I recall it really shook the MCG

Those who have made connections between the chant and the english game of soccer, might have something. Evidently, the poms sing and dance and chant because nothing is happening on the field in front of them.....

So could it be true that the chant got it's origin at the pies when nathan buckley adopted his famous strategy of not scoring? It would make sense. When the game is frenetic and a lot is happening, I dont have the time to sing and dance and chant. But when the scoring slows down to the rate of an english soccer game, you start reaching for the footy record, or 3 or 4 hot pies, or a couple of beers or a chant to keep yourself entertained.... Inactivity and boredom breeds chanting.

Those who have made connections between the chant and the english game of soccer, might have something. Evidently, the poms sing and dance and chant because nothing is happening on the field in front of them.....

So could it be true that the chant got it's origin at the pies when nathan buckley adopted his famous strategy of not scoring? It would make sense. When the game is frenetic and a lot is happening, I dont have the time to sing and dance and chant. But when the scoring slows down to the rate of an english soccer game, you start reaching for the footy record, or 3 or 4 hot pies, or a couple of beers or a chant to keep yourself entertained.... Inactivity and boredom breeds chanting.
Liverpool fans do a long chant as do many other clubs. And have done for many years.
Our version is not unique.

Liverpool fans do a long chant as do many other clubs. And have done for many years.
Our version is not unique.
i was agreeing with you.....The poms and us started chanting in the same circumstances - faced with two 45 minute periods without scoring and then extra time in world cup matches and then penalty shootouts dragging out...no wonder they turned to singing and chanting...

And do you think it's because so few women go to games overthere? I know your average pom isnt too keen on women, but I think they get happy and start putting their arms around each other and singing....any excuse

The first time I really noticed it was the 2010 Preliminary Final V Geelong. It may have been around longer but that night was the time I recall it really shook the MCG

Likewise. That was the first time I recall being amazed by it.

I now have the chant as my ringtone. The version I have downloaded dates from 2013. No idea which game.

When people hear it, I add to their shock/discomfort/horror by telling them I am probably part of the chant. Not too may can say that about their ringtone.🫣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back