Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
So now is the time for the grand final rematch, although both sides have seemingly gone missing.

Last time they met was a one sided affair.
I say met, but it was much like me meeting Karinda 5 years ago. It was only 30 minutes before I realised I was out of my depth and left. I will be haunted by that conversation for the rest of my life. I have no idea how Karinda felt, but after I left it must of been something like Geelong victory, a pleasent 1.5 hours of celebration before collecting a cup.
The illustration is stretched only as thin as our defensive depth.

GEELONG
images (3).jpeg

Geelong after celebrating the fact that the swans got lost on the way and decided not to show up.

After what can only be seen as a massacre the Geelong football club decided to take a 3 week break at the beginning of the year, a few players spent the month in respite, but after beating the under 12s Hawthorn club and West Coast (will update), there season is teetering on a knife's edge. Similar to Sydney they have shown the ability to beat up on bottom 4 sides, but have lacked any hunger in the big games.

Most of the players seem a shadow of the grandfinal self, except ironically the one player that was beaten in the grandfinal, Jeremy Cameron. The season for Geelong has been simply this, Jeremy is their only upside.
A big reason for Geelong slide has been attributed to leaving of one of their greats, Selwood, and although I hate the way he ducks for tackles, we can't deny what a presence he was on and off the field for the Geelong footy club.

SYDNEY
images (4).jpeg

Here we have the entire team, consisting of Robbie Fox and his personal runners. Longmire might want to reconsider only playing one player in a grandfinal.

Oh no, what's happened to Sydney.
Is it the grandfinal drubbing?
Is it bad coaching?
Is it a lack of natural development?

Whatever the case, Sydney are in a similar position to Geelong, more than capable of handling teams far below them, but unable to do anything more than that.
Most of our players are down and form and are lacking the impact that they had last year.
Also similar to Geelong we teeter on the edge, making this game vitally important for both sides.
We come off a good win against Richmond that proves nothing. All the teams that Sydney have beaten have only one win to date.

THE MATCH
Geelong are carrying winning form to have their first home ground game this year at GHMBA, while the swans are also on winners list, being 1-2 in the last 3 weeks.
As both teams are floundering to start the year this becomes a huge game for both, it becomes do or die for both sides.

Ironically, despite the stakes, this will one of the less anticipated rematches, as neither side has shown much in terms of being genuine top 4 threats.

The most important match up will be Fox v Cameron, and I imagine if it went anything like last time the swans will walk away with the 4 points, but since last time I picked Sydney by around 20, I've decided to pick Geelong by 83. Hopefully this gives us some good juju.

Anyway if I can saw one thing about this game, it's this,

I still love you Karinda.

Non Melbourne teams generally get invited to the Litter Box as well as Norf who count for SFA.

Without checking the records my sense is we do better than most visitors.

I'm thrilled Foxy is back for heaps of reasons but one is I recall him taking a spekkie at the Litter Box in a game where we got up and won. (Iirc JPK played a blinder).

Listening to Horse last night, there is doubt whether any of the talls will make it back. So it looks like a 2 tall, 2 medium, 2 small forward line. The blokes down back will needd lifters in their boots

We. may make only two changes. In Gould, Sheldrick Out Amartey, Cunningham

Non Melbourne teams generally get invited to the Litter Box as well as Norf who count for SFA.

I'm thrilled Foxy is back for heaps of reasons but one is I recall him taking a spekkie at the Litter Box in a game where we got up and won. (Iirc JPK played a blinder).

Listening to Horse last night, there is doubt whether any of the talls will make it back. So it looks like a 2 tall, 2 medium, 2 small forward line. The blokes down back will needd lifters in their boots

Robbie Fox 2018 Round 6
fox robbie 2018 round 08 geelong.jpg
source: AFL Photos - Galleries - AFL Photo Galleries

We sure do Uncle.

LAST MEETINGS AT GMHBA Stadium
R11, 2019, Geelong 13.7 (85) d Sydney 8.15 (63) at GMHBA Stadium
R06, 2018, Sydney 12.14 (86) d Geelong 10.9 (69) at GMHBA Stadium
R20, 2017, Sydney 16.11 (107) d Geelong 8.13 (61) at GMHBA Stadium
R16, 2016, Sydney 15.8 (98) d Geelong 9.6 (60) at GMHBA Stadium
R19, 2015, Geelong 14.11 (95) d Sydney 9.9 (63) at GMHBA Stadium

Swans have played 5 games at Geelong since 2015 lost only one in 2019.

If we had 15 players under 24 last night, can assume most of our team next Saturday night have never played at the ground?

Interesting to see what we do with our forward line if Reid and Amartey are unavailable for a few weeks. We can't rely on Franklin to play every game. So wonder if we look at only playing two talls with someone like Clarke coming in as another small forward. Or look at Francis as a third tall forward.

Also what we do with our defence if P.McCartin is out for a while. Whether we would be happy with McCartin, Rampe, Fox and Blakey as taller defenders. Or we look to regularly use Gould, Francis or Melican as the 2nd tall defender.

Last edited:
If Buddy doesn’t get up it might be a decision between.

1. Keeping the undersized structure after Amartey went down

2. Bring in Francis (if fit) to replace Amartey and keep McLean rucking

3. Bring in McAndrews to help Ladhams with the ruck who can spend a bit more time deep forward with McLean playing FF

I’m almost tempted to run with 3 and give McAndrews a debut and exposure now given we might need to use him later in the year.

If Clarke plays reserves today and gets through then he should be a chance to return in place of Cunningham.

I like Harry as a good solid depth clubman , his effort is unquestionable , but yeah I think he might be first out.

Maybe he is doing a lot you can't see on tv, but keeping a corey warner or robert's in would be my preference , if we start getting players back like Clarke etc.

I think Gould should stay in for a patch now and see what he has got. I doubt even best case Paddy is back soon, but obviously Rampe and Tom
will come back in.

I think blakey thrived last night in that role, hope we can keep that, Lloyd was up the ground a little more?

Mills can come to the middle with Rampe back

I like Harry as a good solid depth clubman , his effort is unquestionable , but yeah I think he might be first out.

Maybe he is doing a lot you can't see on tv, but keeping a corey warner or robert's in would be my preference , if we start getting players back like Clarke etc.

I think Gould should stay in for a patch now and see what he has got. I doubt even best case Paddy is back soon, but obviously Rampe and Tom
will come back in.

I think blakey thrived last night in that role, hope we can keep that, Lloyd was up the ground a little more?

Mills can come to the middle with Rampe back
Now that they've had a look at Blakey in that role, Scott is the master at taking away what a team wants to do.
We'll need to come at them with something different & that will be how we jump them.
Hawkins & Cameron alone will slaughter us in the air. Again our mids will need to get it forward often so we can just outscore them.
A shootout in other words. The Hawks were terrific at defending them early but then got stretched by the seasoned Cats.
Parker will play a negative role on Danger I'd think.

We will stretch the Cats there. We love this ground as we don't need to defend the width & are fast enough to test them with the length.
Swans by 20 points.

Now that they've had a look at Blakey in that role, Scott is the master at taking away what a team wants to do.
We'll need to come at them with something different & that will be how we jump them.
Hawkins & Cameron alone will slaughter us in the air. Again our mids will need to get it forward often so we can just outscore them.
A shootout in other words. The Hawks were terrific at defending them early but then got stretched by the seasoned Cats.
Parker will play a negative role on Danger I'd think.

We will stretch the Cats there. We love this ground as we don't need to defend the width & are fast enough to test them with the length.
Swans by 20 points.

Danger might murder Parker at the moment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure our previous strong record at this ground counts for much. This group of players hasn't really played there before, at least not against quality opposition (we played West Coast there in 2021, but Helen Keller could've got 3 Brownlow votes against them.)

But I think it shows that Horse is very good at understanding the dimensions of the ground and how to play to it. So I'm hopeful, but this team hasn't earned my trust yet in season 2023 (and I'd imagine Geelong fans would be saying the exact same thing.)

Not sure our previous strong record at this ground counts for much. This group of players hasn't really played there before, at least not against quality opposition (we played West Coast there in 2021, but Helen Keller could've got 3 Brownlow votes against them.)

But I think it shows that Horse is very good at understanding the dimensions of the ground and how to play to it. So I'm hopeful, but this team hasn't earned my trust yet in season 2023 (and I'd imagine Geelong fans would be saying the exact same thing.)
Couldn't agree more with your last line. I have no idea how this will go

I think the reality is we're now locked in to McDonald, McLean and Franklin for the next block and we need to squeeze every drop out of Franklin whenever he gets back

McAndrew worth a try as Ladhams can be handy forward. Francis plug a hole if someone can't get up

Fan of keeping 3 talls

Last edited:
Sheldrick was pulled from the VFL game today at half time with what appeared to be a rib / breathing issue.

Chalk up one less available option to come in next week 🙁.

Francis was just ok-ish (at best), Clarke was fair - but nobody in the VFL side could really say they had a good day.

I suspect Tommy Mac misses another week & likely Rampe too - in which case:

No change*

* edit: apart from the forced Armatey out.

Last edited:
Sheldrick was pulled from the VFL game today at half time with what appeared to be a rib / breathing issue.

Chalk up one less available option to come in next week 🙁.

Francis was just ok-ish (at best), Clarke was fair - but nobody in the VFL side could really say they had a good day.

I suspect Tommy Mac misses another week - in which case:

No change.
Bit impossible with Amartey's injury

Really hoping we get Rampe and Tmac back. Otherwise we go in with Fox, Gould and Blakey as our tall defenders versus Cameron, Hawkins and deKonig. At least Hawkins is out of form but knowing our luck, he will find it in time to kick a bag against us. If it's the 3 talls from last night, I'd be inclined to play Fox on Cameron, Gould on Hawkins, Blakey on deKonig and hope our midfield dominates.

Bit impossible with Amartey's injury
You’ve got me there!

Francis didn’t have much of it in the VFL - but unless Buddy returns, I’m not really sure what our other options are.

It just can’t be McAndrew. I shudder to imagine him rucking in defensive 50 against Hawkins.

Last edited:
Really hoping we get Rampe and Tmac back. Otherwise we go in with Fox, Gould and Blakey as our tall defenders versus Cameron, Hawkins and deKonig. At least Hawkins is out of form but knowing our luck, he will find it in time to kick a bag against us. If it's the 3 talls from last night, I'd be inclined to play Fox on Cameron, Gould on Hawkins, Blakey on deKonig and hope our midfield dominates.
Doesn't SDK play back?

Their talls are going to cause us serious issues. Keen to see how Gould goes. Has to keep his spot given who we're playing.
That was a memorable game. Blinder might somehow even be selling JPK short. He pretty much single-handedly beat the Cats midfield of Danger, Selwood, Kelly, and Ablett.

Sinclair played a blinder that day.

I have no idea about this game. If Fox could pull another blinder on Cameron that would be great. Hopefully Rampe and TMac are back. If not we're a little ****ed - loved Blakey's game but can't see him or Fox going with Hawkins physically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back