The day Brendan McCormack OWNED football!

Remove this Banner Ad

Adrian Shelton

Premiership Player
Feb 9, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
North Adelaide
Just reading my Gaumont footy yearbook for season 1992 the other day when i came across the write up of the game where Brendan McCormack exploded for 44 touches. (25kicks 19 h/b) Any of you guys there that day? Just how well did he really play?

I'm sure I was there, but I can't remember the specific game. Billy played a few blinders. If he could have managed his weight problem, he coodabeen a champion.

Love the story of his first training session with the roys. He tells of turning up and then they went for a long 'stroll' and he thought "how easy's this?" hence struggling with training and form ever after, even though he obviously played some blinders. Apparently loved a mac-attack.

The boy had talent to burn!!

Saw him in one of his last games at Waverley against Hawthorn, he was playing really well but was about 8 kg overweight and got stuck in mud on the members wing in the last quarter. His shorts were falling off his backside and it looked like he was running on the spot. Funny to watch but sad to see him on the way out.

Saw his 44 possession game - definitely at Princes Park and I think it was against Adelaide (???), he had the ball on a string and if my memory serves me correct he did not miss too many team mates with his disposal that day!! Lots of Roy Boys chanting "Billy, Billy, Billy....." in the outer. :thumbsu:

I reckon the Bears poached him from us so they could run him out as the mascot and cut back on costs by not having to buy him a costume.

Yeah Bobby, Should be interesting 4 Warrandyte but hope they dont do to well twice next season as my sons will be playing against them. By the way I really enjoyed your (beecroft) game out at Waverley against Melbourne when we kicked that record score - you were on fire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember one day he carved us up. Couldabeen champion.

I know you shouldn't have a 2nd side, but i did. I lived a short tram ride from the junction oval and saw many many games. More than Collingwood games back then.
I even remember Roos in the reserves about 1991 - IIRC.

Ahhhh the memories.....

Billy could of been absolutely ANYTHING but alas getting on the Piss, luving a feed and a punt got the best of him in the end

I was at that 44 poss game and his vision and hands were exceptional.

Saddest thing I remember was him playing an AFL game in VFL shorts because there weren't any big enough new shorts for him to play in one day out at Waverley.

any Roy Boy supporter worth their salt would know what a star this fellow could have been

Remove this Banner Ad

Back