The Den's Melboune Cup Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Definately part of my top 3 sporting days of the year (along with AFL GF and SoO I).

I backed On A Jeune last year and it was so close. I may have another look at it this year - i'm not sure of its recent form but it finished like a train last year. Hopefully an Australian horse wins it anyway.

Favourite Cup moment - would have to be Oliver's ride on Media Puzzle after his brother's death, or Makybe Diva's 3-in-a-row. I mean, only the best can do that. ;)

Hopefully i'll be getting very sloshed on the day. I don't have another exam until 2 days after, so a study break on the turps may be in order.

Normanly Id want a Aussie Horse to win but I wouldnt mind if Pop Rock won

Doriemus was my first melb cup in 1995 and I remember two standouts about that....
1. I won him in the sweep - went balistics when he won

2. There was an idiot telling the world that he couldnt win it and his jockey was a dud that wouldnt amount to anything (God! Id give anything to to talk to him again!!!!)

WRONG on both accounts :D

I fell in love with the sport (& Olly :D) ever since!!!

My favorite was 2002 no question - first and only time Ive ever cried over a horse race. I remember an errie event though...I heard about Olly's brother on the wednesday i think and the moring after it was really dark and cold and because of the road works i had to pass morphett vale racecourse on the way to the port - as I came back I heard on the radio that he was riding on regardless and as soon as i hit morphett vale, the sun came out!!! I knew then that hed win on Tuesday - as if it was preordained almost

If my memory dosent let me down i think the guy who wrote the script for movie Phar Lap has done a script for this one now as well! I cant watch it without the goosebumps and the odd tear in the eye. I remember Olly saying somewhere he still cant watch it to this day

Tough one to pick this year, but as Warwick said i might put money on on a jeune to place due to its run last year. Favourite memory has go to be the finish to 97 cup, one of my favourite horses Might and Power getting up by the closest of margins.

As for my bets i thnk ill have some on Tawqeet but by the sounds if Yeats gets a good run it should blitz them so no idea. But a always will put on some outside bets for places and definetly some trifectas/first fours.

Here's POBT's tips for the big day. Disclaimer: POBT knows **** all and loses money regularly on the punt.

1. The Caulfield Cup is your friend. See if you can have another look at it. There were a couple of good runs that make interesting viewing - the winner doesn't always present the best form line.
2. There's always value in backing a roughie each way. Problem is, in the Melbourne Cup, there are about 18 roughies so you'd want to pick the right one.
3. If you are looking for a roughie, go no further than the Geelong Cup. Last year was On a Jeune (1st in GC, 2nd in MC), 2004 was Zazzman (2nd in GC, 3rd in MC), She's Archie in 2003 (1st in GC, 2nd in MC) and Media Puzzle won both in 2002. Mandela is the obvious choice this year.
4. The other way to pick a roughie is to look for well performed horses at distance who have been specifically set for the MC. I like Art Success and On a Jeune for this reason.
5. If you can afford it, take more than 3 horses in your trifecta. Unlike other races, the top 3 in the betting ring never finish in the top 3 of the MC so a mixture of favourites and roughies gives you the best show IMO.

My tip? I can't go past Tawqeet. In a muddling run race, he seemed to be getting to the line the best. The query is the weight penalty and also whether he got a charmed run at Caulfield. As far as the former goes, we just have to wait and see. But for the latter, I learnt the hard way with the Diva not to discount a horse because they had luck - good horses and jockeys make their own luck. The big thing I am going on is what looked like surprise and delight on David Hayes face when Tawqeet won. I'm sure he had set the horse for the MC which means that hopefully the horse has some improvement in it. For placings, I reckon Dizelle and Mandela with Art Success as the rough Qlder.

Barrier Draw
Barrer in brackes
1 Yeats (IRE) (4) 59.0 6yo b h
2 Delta Blues (JPN) (11) 56.0 6yo b h
3 Railings (2) 55.5 5yo b g
4 Tawqeet (USA) (9) 55.5 5yo ch h
5 Geordieland (FR) (10) 54.0 6yo gr h
6 Headturner (19) 54.0 4yo b g
7 Short Pause (GB) (17) 53.5 8yo b h
8 Activation (NZ) (22) 53.0 5yo b g
9 Land 'n Stars (GB) (6) 53.0 7yo b g
10 Mahtoum (7) 53.0 7yo b g
11 On a Jeune (15) 53.0 6yo b g
12 Pop Rock (JPN) (12) 53.0 6yo b h
13 Zipping (20) 52.5 5yo b g
14 Dizelle (21) 52.0 5yo b m
15 Ice Chariot (1) 52.0 4yo b g
16 Kerry O'reilly (NZ) (5) 52.0 6yo b g
17 Zabeat (NZ) (16) 52.0 7yo b g
18 Art Success (NZ) (13) 51.5 5yo b g
19 Demerger (23) 51.0 6yo ch m
20 Glistening (GB) (24) 51.0 5yo b h
21 Mandela (NZ) (14) 51.0 5yo br h
22 Dolphin Jo (18) 50.0 4yo b g
23 Maybe Better (3) 50.0 4yo b g
24 Efficient (NZ) (8) 49.0 3yo gr g
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of all the internationals, one always does a grand job - its just hard to pick which one

I want Pop Rock to win badly - 3min of pleasure to erase 15 months of pain

Pop Rock
Zipping or Efficent(havent decided yet)
On a Jeune

Where will you be at cup day?

At a pub whipping the winner home with about a hundred beers under my belt

Fave Horses/Jockeys?

The Saintly/Beadman combination takes some beating.

Best Best

Art Success each way this year. Of all time, I backed Tawriffic at some pretty juicey odds when I was a youngster

Fave Melb Cup moments

Saintly in 96 - the last time I saw my grandfather was that day. We had a few beers together and both backed the winner. :thumbsu:

Ok bets are on:

Win

$15 Yeats
$10 Tawqeet
$5 Geordieland

Place

$5 Geordieland
$5 Delta Blues

Trifectas

$2 Tawqeet, Delta Blues, Efficient
$2 Yeats, Pop Rock, Geordieland

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cup winners have good form leading up to the race, a horse doesn't suddenly reverse it's form in the Cup.
My Cup punting will revolve around:
Efficient, Tawqeet, Delta Blues, Maybe Better.
I am known to change, & am struggling to identify that one bugger of a horse that runs home & knocks me out.

Don't get to hung up on the Cup (you'll go crazy) & there is plenty of other value on the card tommorrow at headquarters.

Had 1st, 2nd and 3rd for each way bets...would you believe i had them written down when i went to the tab in the order they came home in but talked myself out of either type of trifecta - i know, very dumb blonde today, as the person at the tab just told me... !!!
Anyways what i did win will help towards the membership renewals i paid for today...for me and the son...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back