Rules The 'Dissent' rule

Remove this Banner Ad

Rule was well implemented this round.

How easy was it for the players to just keep their focus on the game? Remarkably simple.

Some classic melts on here before the round, but pretty quiet now :cool:

Rule was well implemented this round.

How easy was it for the players to just keep their focus on the game? Remarkably simple.

Some classic melts on here before the round, but pretty quiet now :cool:

Not really, it's still so inconsistent. They need to make umpiring simpler and take out interpretation

Late in the Adelaide v Bulldogs game which Crows won by a point a free kick was paid against a crow player and he went mental, a good old fashioned umpire melt, but the ball had spilled forward and the umpire was looking at the ball and called advantage. The advantage went nowhere and Crows won. If the umpire paid the 50 it would have been guaranteed at least a point for the dogs so a draw

Not really, it's still so inconsistent. They need to make umpiring simpler and take out interpretation

Late in the Adelaide v Bulldogs game which Crows won by a point a free kick was paid against a crow player and he went mental, a good old fashioned umpire melt, but the ball had spilled forward and the umpire was looking at the ball and called advantage. The advantage went nowhere and Crows won. If the umpire paid the 50 it would have been guaranteed at least a point for the dogs so a draw
It will take a few weeks to get it right, and even then some mistake will be made.

However, bigger picture, the rule takes away so much negative and unneeded player energy, commentator energy, coaching energy from the game and allows the players to mentally focus on the next contest and getting it right.

Maintain the rage, fellas, come on, show some passion, some DISSENT.

ROAR!

So after this weeks round about 2 of eleventy gazillion of 'arms out' were paid.

Why aren't you hammering down on your umpires Brad? Did you not say that it's not up to the umpires discretion? Seems to me there were several game by game that weren't paid - due to umpires 'discretion'

Where are you now? Why aren't you explaining to the public why those 50's weren't paid?

Actually, y'know what Brad, if you wanna keep your job probably best you keep your dumb ass gob shut. Coz if you insist that the umps should pay what they don't want to - you'll very quickly have the fans with lighters and jerry cans waiting for you to step out on the street from Marvel.

So after this weeks round about 2 of eleventy gazillion of 'arms out' were paid.

Why aren't you hammering down on your umpires Brad? Did you not say that it's not up to the umpires discretion? Seems to me there were several game by game that weren't paid - due to umpires 'discretion'

Where are you now? Why aren't you explaining to the public why those 50's weren't paid?

Actually, y'know what Brad, if you wanna keep your job probably best you keep your dumb ass gob shut. Coz if you insist that the umps should pay what they don't want to - you'll very quickly have the fans with lighters and jerry cans waiting for you to step out on the street from Marvel.

I just posted a similar reply in another thread on this top and it seems apt here

I think its the way you view watching the games.

The last round you watched the games and saw a few dissent frees not paid. That to you is the system not working

When I watched the last round, what I saw was a hundred or more occasions where players would have complained and carried on in the past, now not doing those actions.
That to me is the system working.

Players have adjusted extraordinarily quickly, indicating they understand well the boundaries of dissent and how easily it is to just accept the decision and say nothing.

Put simply, the players overwhelmingly self regulated within the space of a week.

Its supposedly to get more junior umpires but I would have thought talking to and interacting with the players especially at AFL level would be one of the selling points. Teaching kids that once they become an umpire they become an alien species who no one can speak to or use their arms to interact with seems like bad recruiting. And I suspect one of the reasons the umpires dont seem to want to pay the 50s

One kid at my work who was an AFL boundry umpire based his entire existence around the small amount of access it got him to AFL players and how some of them even gasp knew his name. This would be the major motivation and ego boost to a lot of umpires

I just posted a similar reply in another thread on this top and it seems apt here

The last round you watched the games and saw a few dissent frees not paid. That to you is the system not working

When I watched the last round, what I saw was a hundred or more occasions where players would have complained and carried on in the past, now not doing those actions.

Players have adjusted extraordinarily quickly, indicating they understand well the boundaries of dissent and how easily it is to just accept the decision and say nothing.

Put simply, the players overwhelmingly self regulated within the space of a week.
But you are a plant. The mob understands this, tolerating your comment under free speech.

Last edited:

No they haven't, not much anyway.

Umps haven't been paying 50's for arms out, don't matter how much you wanna twist it to say 'oh look the rule worked, those infantile dissenting players have stopped dissenting'

The system is not working because the umpires are not applying the system as Brad has said they should.

What's working is the umpires not being infantile and knee jerk reactors the way that stupid cnut Scott wants them to be.

So where is he now? Is he in a meeting with the umps demanding that they continue to over penalise for frivolous bullsh*t? Do ya reckon that'll get the umps on side or do you reckon that'll put a wedge between he and his umpires? I know where my money is.

So yeah I think it is the way you (want to) view watching the games.

No they haven't, not much anyway.

Umps haven't been paying 50's for arms out, don't matter how much you wanna twist it to say 'oh look the rule worked, those infantile dissenting players have stopped dissenting'

The system is not working because the umpires are not applying the system as Brad has said they should.

What's working is the umpires not being infantile and knee jerk reactors the way that stupid cnut Scott wants them to be.

So where is he now? Is he in a meeting with the umps demanding that they continue to over penalise for frivolous bullsh*t? Do ya reckon that'll get the umps on side or do you reckon that'll put a wedge between he and his umpires? I know where my money is.

So yeah I think it is the way you (want to) view watching the games.

System is working a charm.
You don't get it all correct in one round, but it will sort itself out quick enough.

There weren't many 50 metres paid because players self regulated for the main part. The equation is pretty simple.
A few will be missed , but so what?

Umpires understand what to do, they don't need to be micro managed on the topic by Brad 24/7. Is that how your workplace operates?

You don't get it all correct in one round, but it will sort itself out quick enough.

There weren't many 50 metres paid because players self regulated for the main part. The equation is pretty simple.

Umpires understand what to do, they don't need to be micro managed on the topic by Brad 24/7. Is that how your workplace operates?

Its how Brad wants them to be managed, but sure, keep ignoring this point and continue living in this fantasy world of yours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You must've missed what he said then. He clearly stated that the umpires ARE to pay them.

You're right the umpires shouldn't be micro managed. Seems what Scott said IS micro management.

So the system ISN'T working, what IS working is the umpires umpiring as they should, not how dumb fk said they should.

So where is he now?

You must've missed what he said then. He clearly stated that the umpires ARE to pay them.

You're right the umpires shouldn't be micro managed. Seems what Scott said IS micro management.

So the system ISN'T working, what IS working is the umpires umpiring as they should, not how dumb fk said they should.

So where is he now?

It sounds like you didn't watch the games last round.
There was barely a dissent free missed.
The reason for that is there was barely any dissent given: they just weren't there to be paid.
They weren't there because players self regulated, like they were always capable of.
That's the system working well

Such an easy rule to follow and understand and watching on it seemed as if every player now understands what to do and not to do.
In the past, there were the same players who would moan and groan at every decision that didn't go their way: I was waiting for a few of the Sydney players who are guilty of it to give away a free..But nope, they were silent... Amazing eh?

It sounds like you didn't watch the games last round.
The reason for that is there was barely any dissent given: they just weren't there to be paid.
They weren't there because players self regulated, like they were always capable of.

Such an easy rule to follow and understand and watching on it seemed as if every player now understands what to do and not to do.
In the past, there were the same players who would moan and groan at every decision that didn't go their way: I was waiting for a few of the Sydney players who are guilty of it to give away a free..But nope, they were silent... Amazing eh?

Clearly didn't watch the games. Pure waffle here.

Now you're getting it.
No it's not the system that's working well, it's the umpires umpiring as they should, not as that dumb fk wants them to.

If you wanna pay credit, pay it where it due - to the umpires not giving 50's from knee jerk reactions.

Do NOT give credit to that stupid cnut who is a poor excuse for an AFL footy boss.
It's obvious you didn't watch last weeks games, the rule you're in love with is rarely being applied. And that is a good thing.

Good on the umpires giving a big F U to Brad Scott, tell him to GAGF umpires.

Do NOT give credit to that stupid cnut who is a poor excuse for an AFL footy boss.

He is doing a terrific job, bringing back the conversation of having basic human respect to umpires by players.

It's obvious you didn't watch last weeks games, the rule you're in love with is rarely being applied. And that is a good thing.

Its not being applied because players aren't offering dissent. Its an easy calculation to do.
Low dissent levels = low frees given

He is doing a terrific job, bringing back the conversation of having basic human respect to umpires by players.
The positive of players behaving is not his your doing, it is the umpires and to a lesser extent the players that are due the credit.

If the umpires did as he you want, there'd be an angry mob waiting outside Marvel stadium.
Its not being applied because players aren't offering dissent. Its an easy calculation to do.
Low dissent levels = low frees given

I agree, so why does the idiot want them to do differently? He clearly stated that the umpires are to umpire to the rules, not to their own discretion, in the rules, arms out is a 50, Brad you said as much, yet they're not being paid.

So why doesn't he you sack all of the umpires? Clearly they're disobeying the directive of the AFL footy boss.

Nope, it's crickets and tumbleweeds.

I'm starting to believe that you're the idiot we're talking about.

The positive of players behaving is not his your doing, it is the umpires and to a lesser extent the players that are due the credit.

If the umpires did as he you want, there'd be an angry mob waiting outside Marvel stadium.

I agree, so why does the idiot want them to do differently? He clearly stated that the umpires are to umpire to the rules, not to their own discretion, in the rules, arms out is a 50, Brad you said as much, yet they're not being paid.

So why doesn't he you sack all of the umpires? Clearly they're disobeying the directive of the AFL footy boss.

Nope, it's crickets and tumbleweeds.

I'm starting to believe that you're the idiot we're talking about.

The players were able to show self restraint in the space of a week, not hard.

Now you are looking for problems with the interpretation and rule , when the problems aren't there. Sack all the umpires?...I mean that's funny just for the angry saltiness of your comment

If players can manage their impulse control and anger management issues and not abuse others, I am sure you can have a go at the same yourself, given you have time to read over your thoughts before posting

Do better, champ

Now you are looking for problems with the interpretation and rule , when the problems aren't there. Sack all the umpires?...I mean that's funny just for the angry saltiness of your comment

If players can manage their impulse control and anger management issues and not abuse others, I am sure you can have a go at the same yourself, given you have time to read over your thoughts before posting

Do better, champ
It's obvious you can't comprehend.

Players behaving is NOT a result of this rule. IF this rule was applied how it is supposed to be there'd be a 100 50s paid in every game.

If you want to believe your fantasy of this rule working you go right ahead. You're on your own.

Do better, champ

The amount of ignorance and stupidity you've shown in this thread and the other thread regarding the new rules re umpire has gotten to a point where its not even funny anymore.

Its downright sad and pathetic.

Anyone with eyes can see that there's a complete disconnect between what the AFL wants umpires to do, and what umpires are actually doing in game. Its not even an interpretation thing anymore. Umpires are actively going against what the AFL is telling them to do.

Forget about the rules for a second, if you can't see that disconnect, then you are utterly hopeless, and there's not much point in you responding in this thread anymore.

It's obvious you can't comprehend.

Players behaving is NOT a result of this rule. IF this rule was applied how it is supposed to be there'd be a 100 50s paid in every game.

If you want to believe your fantasy of this rule working you go right ahead. You're on your own.

Players are behaving because the rule was enforced by 50 metre frees.

Simple.

The amount of ignorance and stupidity you've shown in this thread and the other thread regarding the new rules re umpire has gotten to a point where its not even funny anymore.

Its downright sad and pathetic.

Anyone with eyes can see that there's a complete disconnect between what the AFL wants umpires to do, and what umpires are actually doing in game. Its not even an interpretation thing anymore. Umpires are actively going against what the AFL is telling them to do.

Forget about the rules for a second, if you can't see that disconnect, then you are utterly hopeless, and there's not much point in you responding in this thread anymore.

Really, that brought tears to my eyes, the ludicrousness of what you wrote.

Umpires have rebelled!!

You might want to sit this round out mate. There is likely to be almost no dissent again, maybe a few 50s given. Enjoyable for most of us, but not for you I fear

Remove this Banner Ad

Back