Rules The 'Dissent' rule

Remove this Banner Ad

What a non event the GWS/ST Kilda game turned out to be for the Dissent rule

One 50 metre penalty paid for some guy having a dummy spit, but the other players all miraculously maintained self control and didnt carry on.
How easy it all is.

What a non event the GWS/ST Kilda game turned out to be for the Dissent rule

One 50 metre penalty paid for some guy having a dummy spit, but the other players all miraculously maintained self control and didnt carry on.
How easy it all is.
Dummy spit? that??
All it would've taken is the Umpire to say it didn't touch the ground, and play goes on.

I didn't think they could bring in a rule more ridiculous than the Stand rule. But Brad Scott said "hold my beer" and brought in this farce.

I don't think there is much of a problem with a player asking "what that's for?", or disagreeing with the umpire or just putting raising their arms. If umps are taking offence of that then they are a bunch of snow flakes.

However, if they do have this rule it should be to the umpires discretion. It should only be paid if the player just keeps on about and disputing it to the point the umpire can't concentrate on their duties and move the game on.

Tonight shows how it isn’t working. I mean legitimate dissent, I think just disagreeing or shaking head at a decision isn’t worth a 50, which will then lead previously vile parents to respect umpires at kids games.

Showed how it’s working perfectly fine in my opinion. Most players have already adapted and we got to see less moaning and b**cing.

Except for 2 or 3 players who are still trying to convince the umpire to change his decision 😂

Showed how it’s working perfectly fine in my opinion. Most players have already adapted and we got to see less moaning and b**cing.

Except for 2 or 3 players who are still trying to convince the umpire to change his decision 😂
And without much of a hitch so far...be in no doubt, the hysterical reaction is shrill and loud, and will have moved onto the next "catastrophe" in not too more many weeks.

Where does the umpire take responsibility for their calls? It's a two way street.

A Fair comparison would be an Umpire giving a player verbal stick or arm flapping every time the player made a mistake /gave away a free.
When that starts to happen let me know

It's clear there are other forces at play here and Brad Scott is simply implementing what he's told to do. This unfortunately makes him a puppet, sell out, and a huge hypocrite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue last night wasn't the 50 that was paid for dissent, but the numerous ones that weren't paid.
Perhaps this player was a little more 'aggressive in his actions, but he wasn't the only player to flap his arms about or to question the umpire.
And this is why people get annoyed by it.

It's clear there are other forces at play here and Brad Scott is simply implementing what he's told to do. This unfortunately makes him a puppet, sell out, and a huge hypocrite.

Conspiracy eh?
Stamp out dissent.
Shocking

Rugby Union is played by two opposing lines of players on a smaller field, in cricket there's a break every 15 seconds approximately. The ability for only the captains to discuss umpiring decision is therefore easier.
The AFL is played on a massive oval and is a 360 degree game, the captain model wouldn't work.

So brad scott has the audacity to say they only missed 6 'dissent' frees in a full round of football last week. Yet, under his stupid definition of 'dissent' i found 8 in 1 game. This doesn't even include eye rolls, shoulder shrugs and other things that mean the same as arms out. Brad Scott, where is the consistency. If you're going to ruin the game, ruin it completely and pay the frees you said you were going to pay. This wishy washy, flimsy definition of 'dissent' is a disgrace. I hope you acknowledge the hundreds of missed calls this round. Massive Ned Guy vibes from you with the amount of BS that is coming out of your mouth atm.
20220423_010945_0000.png

So brad scott has the audacity to say they only missed 6 'dissent' frees in a full round of football last week. Yet, under his stupid definition of 'dissent' i found 8 in 1 game. This doesn't even include eye rolls, shoulder shrugs and other things that mean the same as arms out. Brad Scott, where is the consistency. If you're going to ruin the game, ruin it completely and pay the frees you said you were going to pay. This wishy washy, flimsy definition of 'dissent' is a disgrace. I hope you acknowledge the hundreds of missed calls this round. Massive Ned Guy vibes from you with the amount of BS that is coming out of your mouth atm.
View attachment 1381338

Probably more than 8 that you've listed here as well.

Just off the top of my head, if we look back at the 1 50m penalty paid for dissent, you could probably see McKenzie with his arms out towards the umpire who paid the 50m penalty, which would've been an 100m penalty all up.

Also the Callan Ward one where he had one arm out facing the umpire looking to argue a free kick.

Preuss probably had 4 or 5 different ones by himself.

People who think that it's gone well are deluded and only joking themself.

Did Brad Scott not say that the umps are to pay frees and 50's for arms out? If not is it up to the discretion of each umpire?
And if that is true then brings umpiring into inconsistency. That cannot continue.

If it is not up to the discretion of each umpire then why weren't they all paid?

Further disenfranchising the fans from the umps, no wonder we can't get umpires, coz Brad Scott is a f*n moron.

They get judged and dropped just the same as any player would.
judged by who?
they are not publicly accountable at all
and their judgers at AFL house are even less so

we, the fans, pay for the show and they need to be accountable to us, it's our game

clandestine internal reviews are predictably hopeless at driving higher standards

(and could be part of why the game is in such a mess, with people turning off the TV in large numbers over the last 5 years)

It comes down to how dissent is interpreted by the umpire department & how does umpires are directed to adjudicate. ATM fart in their general direction & its dissent. The AFL is the laughing stock of the sporting community. Brad Scott should be blacklisted & never allowed to hold an AFL position again.

My guess is, rather like Shocking before him, BScott needs to find a justification for his role

If being a rules guy is allowing you to pull several 100s of k salary per year, you are going to find issues with rules, everywhere you look, that's human nature. The whole game will need fixing, over several years dammit!!

Except it didn't.

So 5 years later, SHocking and now BScott have earnt their dough, but we have endless stupid rule changes that have reduced the appeal of the game such that FTA viewer numbers are down 20%

Remove this Banner Ad

Back