Rules The 'Dissent' rule

Remove this Banner Ad

Tonight shows how it isn’t working. I mean legitimate dissent, I think just disagreeing or shaking head at a decision isn’t worth a 50, which will then lead previously vile parents to respect umpires at kids games.

Tonight shows how it isn’t working. I mean legitimate dissent, I think just disagreeing or shaking head at a decision isn’t worth a 50, which will then lead previously vile parents to respect umpires at kids games.

Heard a coach on the radio today that said his club will instruct their players to not communicate in any way with the umpires, no more shaking hands, no more anything.
Thought that was a bit to far but this is what happens when people stuff with the fabric of the sport.

A few not paid tonight then they pluck one out of nowhere.

Going to be some horrendous decisions going forward. Clearly dome confusion between interpretations. AFL turning this great game into a farce.

Umps would get more respect if they just let the game flow and stop paying over technical frees.

A few not paid tonight then they pluck one out of nowhere.

Going to be some horrendous decisions going forward. Clearly dome confusion between interpretations. AFL turning this great game into a farce.

Umps would get more respect if they just let the game flow and stop paying over technical frees.

In the "old days" you'd expect that the umpire's response to the player would be to explain that he didn't see the ball hit the ground and that he believed it was a mark - benefit of the doubt. That was pretty normal. The player may not have been happy, but he understands the umpire can be blindsided and gets on with the game. End of event.

Tonight, the umpire made no effort to calm the situation and seemingly could not hold back from blurting "umpire dissent" and calling a 50. So instead of earning respect and shutting down any noise this umpire has inflamed a proportion of football followers - those who understand the tribalism, the passion and the emotion that the game creates. His decision to pay 50 has now already inflamed the issue in the media and umpire respect is out the window.

You got it wrong mate. The ball did hit the deck. You could have calmed the situation but you poured heat onto it and you have lost respect for yourself and your entire fraternity. Not that a good many people had much for you all anyway.

this dissent issue is just a smokescreen for the pathetic "stand rule" to not be discussed and given the raspberry it desrves,theyve(the AFL)
have created a 'Charles Manson', a fake bogeyman if u will, as the distraction ;)
Is Sharon still alive?

Do we really think this rule will convince kids to become umpires and make up the shortfall? I think the real issue is the ugly parent on the boundary. This rule would just increase the abuse at lower grades from the boundary line

The ugly parent has been there for decades and now more than ever in the world of my kid is perfect the ugly parent is in shining lights. Nothing will change in this regard.

Maybe the AFL should look into why we are having an umpire shortage at lower levels instead of making kneejerk rules that are just killing this game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not saying there is no shortage but Ithink it’s just the topic of the year.
This is going to be a test of wills, players don't like it, fans don't like it, commentators don't like it and I'm sure most umpires don't like the rule. So is this just going to be the AFL asserting their authority

Wow.

First time of listened it through, and this sentence does blow my mind.

"We just don't want any... any questioning of umpiring decisions."

Coaches aren't going to come out and bag rules/umpires..it's too risky, they have to tow the line like everyone else. It's a culture that has permeated throughout the whole AFL industry..media included.
Rubbish, Bevo said the other week he didn't agree with a 50m penalty that was paid for the stand rule and would seek clarification. Coaches aren't going to abuse the umpires but they aren't afraid to state their opinion calmly and professionally.

I've always been against arguing with umpires, hence why I think the challenge and appeal rules in tennis and cricket are incorrect. It might have something to do with the way players behave in tennis too.

However, I think they are missing the opportunity for players and umpires to show mutual respect, and that they are equally important parts of the game (I suspect the AFLPA would disagree, I think they believe they are the most important part of the game), and allowing respectful conversation between player and umpire.

Moving your arms as part of the conversation is human nature, it's a communication tool, so a blanket rule on use of arms is not disrespectful. So long as the conversation is respectful, and about clarifying a decision, that's OK IMO, but saying the decision is wrong I agree needs to be penalised.

It's been a while since I played, but IIRC, most of the 'disrespect' towards umpires was from the sideline, not from players...will the AFL ask fans to be tennis fans too?

Probably. I can see that an umpire could hear a crowd comment and think it came from an aggrieved player
Could be the case where the supporters of the team that got a free kick then abuse the umpire into tricking out a 50 for dissent

Wow.

First time of listened it through, and this sentence does blow my mind.

"We just don't want any... any questioning of umpiring decisions."

It's almost like there is a already a forum for decisions to be clarified during breaks and during the week. Mid game is not the time for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back