Rules The 'Dissent' rule

Remove this Banner Ad

It comes down to how dissent is interpreted by the umpire department & how does umpires are directed to adjudicate. ATM fart in their general direction & its dissent. The AFL is the laughing stock of the sporting community. Brad Scott should be blacklisted & never allowed to hold an AFL position again.

According to Brad Scott, it doesn't matter how the umpire feel what dissent is, they need to umpire dissent the way the AFL wants them to.

Game 1, and it's already a shambles.

I saw a lot of dissent last night that was not penalised.
AFL are s**t.
Viewership is down, attendance down. People are leaving the game in droves so maybe in a few years there won’t be an umpire crisis because we will all watch soccer instead.

I don't think there is much of a problem with a player asking "what that's for?", or disagreeing with the umpire or just putting raising their arms. If umps are taking offence of that then they are a bunch of snow flakes.
The point is that most senior umpires dont take offence.
However, if they do have this rule it should be to the umpires discretion. It should only be paid if the player just keeps on about and disputing it to the point the umpire can't concentrate on their duties and move the game on.
That is basically the problem right now, majority of umpires dont pay it and they dont see it as dissent / disrespect.

But a few sticklers have paid a few based on some of the guidelines given, which has caused the controversy.

You wont get consistency if left to umpire discretion, and if try to make a black and white rule ie arms out = dissent, there are dozens of missed penalties every week.

The 50 metre penalty paid against McKenzie last night was a disgrace, that wasn't even dissent, he was just indicating that the ball had hit the ground.

If that is the standard the umpires are going to set for this rule the game is in big trouble. Luckily that garbage 50 and goal didn't cost us the game last night but it could happen in the future, imagine a final being decided by something as trivial as that, it would make the AFL a complete laughing stock.

Scott should have to watch footage of himself attempting to coach, overreactions and arms out at every decision. Somehow he expects the people actually out on the field to not make a simple inoffensive gesture, one that is natural when you're confused

Never thought I'd miss Hocking and his ridiculously s**t rules

This is a dangerous rule and can be deemed up to personal opinion. We already live in a super sensitive and woke world we don’t need this s**t. I get we need more umpires but to ruin the players and the game overall is not worth it. What’s the point of having more umpires when there won’t be a game left to umpire. Players wont want to play the game and fans won’t want to watch the game anymore because of this bullshit

Leave the game alone Brad. He’s always had a massive issue with his power trip and ego when he was coaching north and it’s no surprise he’s puffing his chest up now.

This is a dangerous rule and can be deemed up to personal opinion. We already live in a super sensitive and woke world we don’t need this s**t. I get we need more umpires but to ruin the players and the game overall is not worth it. What’s the point of having more umpires when there won’t be a game left to umpire. Players wont want to play the game and fans won’t want to watch the game anymore because of this bullshit

Leave the game alone Brad. He’s always had a massive issue with his power trip and ego when he was coaching north and it’s no surprise he’s puffing his chest up now.
First they started reprimanding comments in interviews and press conferences, you can visually see restraint on faces when asked about decisions, then they target the on field. With most of the media in their pocket there is f all left to question the game because they sure as s**t don't listen to the fans. Why would anyone want to be involved when you have to walk on eggshells and not allowed to be expressive.

I think last night showed an interesting point, regardless of what the AFL says the umpires don't WANT to pay these stupid 50s. You can't tell me that all the examples last night the umps just didn't see them. But from the umpires perspective it's clear they a) don't see it as disrespectful the vast majority of the time and b) don't want to pay it because they think it's a stupid rule (albeit well intentioned) with way too high a consequence. Everyone's raised the point about what if the grand final is decided like this, well it's clear it won't come to that not because players will be conforming to some impossible standard of limiting their emotions and body language by then, but because no umpire wants to be the bloke paying this in a close final. Absolutely guarantee if it happens in a final they will swallow the whistle.

This whole thing is so fcuking stupid by the AFL. The whole media is acting like they had no choice but to double down and the players just have to live with it. Would it have killed them to just say 'You know what on reflection this rule is as unpopular as it is unfair and unenforceable, we'll concede that 50 for dissent should be at an umpires discretion'. But oh no they're too precious to admit they're wrong.

Dissent is not a wide enough issue to warrant this rule change. The AFL need to fork out the cash and invest in umpires at a grassroots level.

More money = more umpires.
I remember playing soccer 20 years ago we baulked at paying $2 per player for an association referee. So we moved to duty refs and two teams got a bye each week to do duty officiating. It was such a massive disaster that we agreed to pay $4.50 each for association refs the next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Showed how it’s working perfectly fine in my opinion. Most players have already adapted and we got to see less moaning and b**cing.

Except for 2 or 3 players who are still trying to convince the umpire to change his decision

Except the one that was given wasn’t even for dissent really, and others where there was arms thrown up weren’t paid.

I'm not usually troubled by rule changes buy this is a shocker, not just from a footy perspective but from a normal human life perspective. By all means punish players that are abusive or threatening or waste time but to punish player for even mildly wondering why a free was paid is sociopathic. Are umpires really quitting because players are spreading their arms in surprise?

Here's an idea, if the AFL are that concerned with the dissent rule and its impact on junior/underage/amateur umpiring then why not introduce the rule to its highest interpretation strictly at that level. For those that have played the game a while then it will obviously still take some adjustment, for those those children that have just started then the rule will be something they've they've been taught from their first introduction to the game.

At AFL level let's scale the rule back to verbal abuse and demonstrative and intimidating actions for which arms out isn't one of those.

The AFL is clearly the elite competition which is played with an intensity like no other in an environment that is extremely high pressure. Players feed off the emotions of themselves, their teammates, the opposition and the crowd, they expect a lot of their own performances and a lot is expected of them. To expect them to show no emotion is a game that is arguable the hardest game in the world to umpire where rules change yearly is very naive.

After watching almost all games from the weekend, so far, I am of the opinion that the umpires have made a private decision to now award frees for players putting arms out and asking questions.
For the most part they have umpired very well so far.
Maybe a kick in the arse for the heirachy of the AFL.

After watching almost all games from the weekend, so far, I am of the opinion that the umpires have made a private decision to now award frees for players putting arms out and asking questions.
For the most part they have umpired very well so far.
Maybe a kick in the arse for the heirachy of the AFL.

As per usual the umpires cracked down hard on the rule in the first game on Friday night and then eased up on it in the remaining games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back