The exact moment it all went to crap ... The Godfather Offers of 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Blowing up the list after the 2015 prelim which we could have won if not for being wasteful in the first quarter and umpiring

Now I’ve heard it all. Absolute rubbish
And then Hawthorn were for the taking and our 5th premiership was entirely possible. How things could have changed. But the umpires thought otherwise. Only the '94 prelim was worse and will always be worse, even if we play footy for another 50 years.

Ok , it wasn't Brad's decision to axe those players, 100% wasn't. I don't like him one bit, never did, but that isn't true.

There was a certain person involved who I wont name. But he's a ****wit when one considers his role and his inability to string a coherent sentence together.

He had no right to that role, yes he didn't give himself the job Buckley would have, I assume and whoever called out Buckley as a poor choice when he was announced was 100% correct. Someone did from memory.

View attachment 2001498

FFS, FMD & FML - he was Footballer Director, probably deserves an LOL. I'd have done a much better job.
And why TF would they entertain me for that gig, they wouldn't I'm not qualified, just like the silly prick who got the job.
And lol for business demands, his role and only role was/is to organise the booze.
And Cunners didn't want to retire, but was pushed by the other imbecile Rawling.
And you can add "" to the last two sentences.

We all know we could do with Cunners now. Heads need to role.

Stop casting aspersions on people, who have no right of reply.

And lets be honest, you spend most of your time compiling posts full of innuendo.

Its very easy to write these things on a football forum where everyone is (allegedly) anonymous. Gutless on your part.

Glenn Archer was appointed Football Director in 2015. Is he the person you are referring to? If so go and confront him.

This is one of those times when I truly hate this place

The word "some" is crucial there.

I understand you've got some weird pathological dislike of Brady Rawlings, it doesn't stand up to any scrutiny, but here we are, you making odd personal attacks.
Is it? Crucial. Admit it. You insinuated that Euge was somehow to blame for our current plight. One of the more imbecilic takes I’ve read on BigFooty. :stern look

As for my criticisms levelled at Rawling, well you just need to look at the poor decisions that have been made by our Football Club. Decisions that he instigated. Was involved in. Shit he even got demoted. There is a reason why we are headed to a 5th straight bottom 2 finish and he is one of those reasons. To suggest otherwise makes you look the fool. :stern look

Angry Right Now GIF by Film Riot

This is a good thread

Just what the world wanted another thread where the past can be relitigated to find out where it all went wrong.

There was never one moment. It is not on one person. There are those that had a huge hand in it, but they are gone.

Our last flag was in 1999. Honestly you can reach back probably as far to see small decisions that shaped where we landed and how.

In the last 10 years the following have been issues for our club:
Coaching
Development
Injury management
Recruiting (including drafting, trading and free agency)
Administrative oversight on football.
Over promotion.
Lack of accountability within the FD.
Lack of accountability for the "football" board members.
Attracting quality candidates for basically any off field role.
Running different programs through the AFL and VFL.
Our relationship with umpires

There just isn't one thing we have gotten wrong, it is close to all things along the way. There just wasn't a bang moment of there that's it that the point we f***ed it. It was all of it compounding in on itself.

This argument is never ending if you want it to be because there are simply so many many ways that we have f***ed it up and by so many people.

It makes me seriously laugh when we have employed a top coach to come in and reshape basically all the things we have done wrong and f***sticks like Henshaws posts shit about sacking Clarkson. If he cannot do this, the best coach in the current era of the game, if he cannot, there is probably no one we could employ that will be able to.

Yeah look this place really is a beacon of negativity.

It is amazing how much quicker I feel better after a loss when I am not posting in here.

It’s simple. We made a decision to strip the list to get access to high end talent. It is a shithouse strategy due to the pain you go through, but will likely work out.

It has been prolonged by poor coaching choices and some bad luck (eg TT).

We will get out of it if we stay the course with Clarkson and Viney. That doesn’t mean they will get us a flag, but they will restore culture and standards.

All in charge at the time this strategy was agreed - coach, board, leadership are accountable for our current predicament.

I would also point out that I think over 50% of Bigfooty advocated for this strategy as opposed to competing for bottom end of finals each year.

It’s simple.
It's not.

That is why people keep going over and over and over and over and over it.

It was death by a thousand cuts and posters want to explore every single one of those cuts to ensure it has the requisite amount of salt in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club is more than one person and a couple of failed FA attempts 8 years ago. Cheap scapegoating is, well, cheap scapegoating. E.g. Not mentioning any of Ben Buckley, Ben Amarfio, Any board members of that time, Cam Joyce, Jack Ziebell etc etc in your 2017 blame game is some bizarre whitewashing.

What?

Spot on.

Our "aggressive reset" had all the subtlety and cunning of throwing cash at everyone and when that didn't work it was going to the draft with just the picks we earned for being rubbish. Then, when that failed to yield instant results it was to clog the list with Polec, Tyson, Pittard and Hall. And when that didn't work Brad went to the board with "let's rebuild."

2017-2019... the wasted years.

The rapidly magnified by the COVID and Shaw disasters.

Jason and Tarryn leaving certainly didn't help either.

But the 2017-19 floundering set it all up.

It’s simple. We made a decision to strip the list to get access to high end talent. It is a shithouse strategy due to the pain you go through, but will likely work out.

We will get out of it if we stay the course with Clarkson and Viney. That doesn’t mean they will get us a flag, but they will restore culture and standards.

All in charge at the time this strategy was agreed - coach, board, leadership are accountable for our current predicament.

I would also point out that I think over 50% of Bigfooty advocated for this strategy as opposed to competing for bottom end of finals each year.
I think most agree with the strategy as a whole. The fact it is our 3rd go at it (tying in with your point on coaching) and IMO our poor talent ID has stalled progress.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Stop casting aspersions on people, who have no right of reply.

And lets be honest, you spend most of your time compiling posts full of innuendo.

Its very easy to write these things on a football forum where everyone is (allegedly) anonymous. Gutless on your part.

Glenn Archer was appointed Football Director in 2015. Is he the person you are referring to? If so go and confront him.

Taken on board Horace.
I will be more circumspect in the future.
One my fav all time players fwiw.

I think things started to unravel when Scotts was sniffing around Gold Coast gig and we then extended him. We should have moved on once he started looking elsewhere.

Yes, this too, all tied up in the same situation though.

But to access high-end talent, you need to finish in the bottom 4 or thereabouts, or you need to trade your stars for high-end draft picks. Falling arse backwards into a father-son or academy pick helps but we haven't had that luck.

When we made the decision to strip the list to get access to high-end talent, as you summarise it, and when everyone agreed to it, we were no longer in a position to trade for high-end picks because we didn't have the commodities to trade. We were finishing mid-table, so we also didn't have the draft picks. So what everyone was really agreeing to do was be rubbish for 5 years and stockpile high-end talent through natural draft picks from bottom 4 finishes.

In other words, the OP has it pretty right—once the Godfather offers of 2017 failed, we moved directly to this plan, which was to strip the list and be rubbish for 5 years in order to stockpile high-end talent. Hopefully, we are nearing the end of this part of the plan very soon.

Taken on board Horace.
I will be more circumspect in the future.
One my fav all time players fwiw.

Yes, Horace is wise to point out at least the good manners that should be observed here, although I think there is a valid comparison in the way Glenn Archer is revered and treated by all in Sunbury as opposed to Brady Rawlings. It's fascinating.

how this period was handled was a complete shitshow.

But that doesn’t excuse/undo all of the poor drafting and dogshit trades that have equally robbed us of talent & depth.

Ultimately our current issues are due to off field instability, poor recruitment, poor development and poor leadership (both onfield and off field) over the last 10 years.

Trying to narrow it down to blame it on one off field area serves no purpose at all.

Certainly, there were aging players that still had value in 2015 and we could have secured reasonable draft or trade capital by moving them on back then. By the time we went nuclear, nobody had any value so we were having to replenish the list with a poor draft hand.

I think this feeds back into the OP's point to some extent. Once we started the ground-up rebuild, we were already pretty rooted, and we needed 5 years' worth of top-end draft picks to complete the job. Having effectively missed the target in 2020 (Will Phillips) and 2021 (JHF), we are now just 2 years into that process
I think the point is by the time we were tossing huge checks at people in 2017, the renewal ship had already sailed.

Take a look at the number of good players Collingwood has moved on, Grundy, Treloar, Adams, Ginnivan, Stevens just to name a few.

Under Scott we kept players on the list for years that were never going to make it and never did.

You can either manage your renewal or have it thrust on you.

People at the club clearly became emotional attached to players, rather than exercising the cold calculations that builds Flag winning teams.

Blowing up the list after the 2015 prelim which we could have won if not for being wasteful in the first quarter and umpiring

Now I’ve heard it all. Absolute rubbish
After 1998 lost we move on Wayne Schwass, that move won us the 99 flag.
Moving on older players with value is controlled renewal.

The 2015 list massively overperformed, we were rated the worst list in the finals that year.
The following year after a great start we crashed and burned hard and its been a shite show ever since.
2016 is the year we should have started the renewal instead of drinking our own bath water and trying to top up.

I think the point is by the time we were tossing huge checks at people in 2017, the renewal ship had already sailed.

Take a look at the number of good players Collingwood has moved on, Grundy, Treloar, Adams, Ginnivan, Stevens just to name a few.

Under Scott we kept players on the list for years that were never going to make it and never did.

You can either manage your renewal or have it thrust on you.

People at the club clearly became emotional attached to players, rather than exercising the cold calculations that builds Flag winning teams.
Yes true enough but I suspect if someone at the club had proposed moving on any player that we, the supporters, had become emotionally attached to, this place would have gone into meltdown. Afterall, there were melts over Sam Durdin being delisted. Imagine if we tried to move on a peak Goldstein, Tarrant, Brown, Wells or L. Thomas. Funnily enough, each of those players went elsewhere but after they had any trade value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back