The Flat Deck Problem

Remove this Banner Ad

I would go for 110 overs a day for 4 day tests, and increase the playing time by an hour, each session going 2 hours and 20 mins.

No way they couldn't bowl the overs quick enough, they can do it in first class cricket and one dayers, no excuse, And add 10 runs to the extras column for every over not bowled on time. This would be a way of ensuring spinner stay in the action as well.

This would mean the net total of overs would be only 10 less than it is now for 5 day matches

I would go for 110 overs a day for 4 day tests, and increase the playing time by an hour, each session going 2 hours and 20 mins.

No way they couldn't bowl the overs quick enough, they can do it in first class cricket and one dayers, no excuse, And add 10 runs to the extras column for every over not bowled on time. This would be a way of ensuring spinner stay in the action as well.

This would mean the net total of overs would be only 10 less than it is now for 5 day matches
At very least, someone sort out these s**t over rates. Run penalties is what I would do too.

Some good ideas in there, though I think the run penalties could be a tough one to police, when you have batsmen taking extra drinks breaks / glove changes, sight-screens breaking down every other day, etc.

They are so tough on bowlers approaching the danger area and fielding teams scuffing up the ball. If they took a similar approach with official warnings etc for 12th men being on too much, batsmen not being ready to face up and the like, you could quite easily get through overs more quickly.

Some good ideas in there, though I think the run penalties could be a tough one to police, when you have batsmen taking extra drinks breaks / glove changes, sight-screens breaking down every other day, etc.

They are so tough on bowlers approaching the danger area and fielding teams scuffing up the ball. If they took a similar approach with official warnings etc for 12th men being on too much, batsmen not being ready to face up and the like, you could quite easily get through overs more quickly.
Just add a clock to the scoreboard that counts up for breaks outside the control of the bowling side like in soccer with extra time. Add this to the bowling team's allocation.

Run penalties are not the answer as they'll ruin the integrity of run chases. Not to mention things like the DRS, glove changes etc. get in the way of things too. It's not always the bowling side who are completely to blame there's a lot of different things that slow play down. Also wouldn't put it past Channel 9 and other broadcasters having a minimum time gap between overs to ensure commercials can run as scheduled.

At very least, someone sort out these s**t over rates. Run penalties is what I would do too.

I agree that bowlers should be able to bowl their overs quicker, but the crappy over rates can also be blamed for batsmen wanting to change gloves every 4 overs, not taking strike before the bowler turns to run in, drinks being run onto the ground every couple of overs, DRS reviews taking anywhere between 3-5 minutes to decide upon, and that is AFTER the committee meetings between captain, wicketkeeper and bowler, bowlers wanting umpires to check the ball anytime they can't get it to swing, electronic sight boards breaking down, batsmen pulling away as the bowler is in his delivery stride because he detects someone in the crowd at square leg taking the wrapper off an ice cream, physios on the ground attending to injuries rather than the player leaving the ground immediately and being treated off the field, spin bowlers taking up to 5 minutes to bowl an over when Lance Gibbs used to be able to bowl an 8 ball over in 90 seconds, and copious other stoppages in the space of 2 hours.

I mean ... WTF??? Just get on with the damned game.

Maybe they should have bought the boundary rope in closer at Adelaide. Like, a few metres outside the inner circle... a bit like they do for under-13 matches. That would've guaranteed a few more 4's and 6's. :rolleyes:
Do away with the rope altogether. They've already got that circle painted on the ground, just use that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coincidence? I think not.

Don't forget that Australia are the team affected the most by this tripe as shown by their recent 'successes' in the last two tours of England, India and the last tour of the UAE. All arenas where the Kiwis have put up a better show.

Yeah Khawaja may be getting the plaudits now but if the average fan were to turn on the telly a few short months from now they'll see a deer in the headlights, a batsman unable to grasp the intricacies of spin/swing/whatever else on offer.

Didn't put up a better show against Australia though. Half our side has retired, lost our two main strike bowlers during the series and you still lost 2-0.

I think we can conclude that Hobart 2015 is not Hobart 2011.

Because WI have bowled garbage? That pitch has a good covering of green. The WACA and the Gabba were shockers but Adelaide was a great pitch and this Hobart one looks good as well. If WI make a big score on it then I'll reconsider. So far this just looks like confirmation bias on your part.

Because WI have bowled garbage? That pitch has a good covering of green. The WACA and the Gabba were shockers but Adelaide was a great pitch and this Hobart one looks good as well. If WI make a big score on it then I'll reconsider. So far this just looks like confirmation bias on your part.

Nannes mentioned on ABC that no shield side has been bowled out yet batting first in Hobart this year, his conclusion was its been a road this year.

Nannes mentioned on ABC that no shield side has been bowled out yet batting first in Hobart this year, his conclusion was its been a road this year.

I was listening. I had a little look at he scorecards for the three matches. You should too. There are 4 occasions where a side has been bowled out for less than 200 as well. A couple of times where a side barely made 200 before being bowled out.

Worth noting as well, each pitch is different. It's not the same pitch each time, they are each prepared for the match in question. You can prepare a road or a minefield as required on a given ground.

Anyone who has been watching today will have noticed that the pitch is not dead. It is doing a bit. WI are just utterly failing to exploit what is there.

Over rates could easily be fixed if they really wanted

30 overs a session any not bowled are bowled after the the session ends and are free hits.

No extra drink breaks or glove changes etc unless extreme heat are allowed.

Only breaks allowed for injuries and players must retire hurt if the physio/doctor comes on.

Batsman must be ready to face up when the bowler reaches his mark.

If not they get a warning and and second time they are timed out.

Easy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back