The football video games thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Started my first Toon career on FM17 last night - first order of business was finding Mr Benitez a new home.

Felt so bad taking his job so I made him the manager at Inter (De Boer then took the vacant Wolfsburg job so everyone wins lol). and basically transferred the entire Real Madrid first team to Inter (on reduced wages). Should make for an interesting title fight between Juve and Inter haha.

But NUFC, won't Inter have a bloated squad now? Indeed they did - solution: due to an unforeseen event, German amateur side FC Coburg won promotion to the Bundesliga taking the place of a rival club. With a sugar daddy owner, they appointed the previously unemployed AVB to the hotseat. The Inter off cuts then found their way to Coburg on loan. It will quite the scenery change for the influx of first team players - going from the Bernabeu and San Siro to the tiny Stadion am hinteren Floßanger (yes, that's the actual name). Can AVB weld the misfits into a team capable of avoiding the drop?

As for Real Madrid, Zindane, so fed up losing his entire first team moved to a cashed up Metz FC looking to make waves in Ligue 1. So who did Real Madrid turn to you ask? Well Mr Joe Kinnear had just taken his post at Sunderland so was unavailable. Therefore, Real, probably the biggest club in the world turned to the only fitting candidate - none other than the 'best coach in the league' John Carver. It remains to be seen how they will fare this coming season.

Anyway, all that taken care of, my first day on Tyneside and I've made an offer for Mr Berbatov to realise a childhood dream in the twilight of his career and pull on that famous black and white shirt via a free transfer. Hopefully we will accept. The Toon thankfully have a bit of wage budget to play with. Also on the lookout for another CM for depth and a winger who can play AML/AMR as we're a bit light on either side. Suggestions welcome otherwise Sammy Ameobi's loan deal at Bolton might be cut short.

P.S I don't hate Real Madrid - just genuinely curious to see how Mr Carver will go with ample resources and a blank canvas to work with. :p

Started my first Toon career on FM17 last night - first order of business was finding Mr Benitez a new home.

Felt so bad taking his job so I made him the manager at Inter (De Boer then took the vacant Wolfsburg job so everyone wins lol). and basically transferred the entire Real Madrid first team to Inter (on reduced wages). Should make for an interesting title fight between Juve and Inter haha.

But NUFC, won't Inter have a bloated squad now? Indeed they did - solution: due to an unforeseen event, German amateur side FC Coburg won promotion to the Bundesliga taking the place of a rival club. With a sugar daddy owner, they appointed the previously unemployed AVB to the hotseat. The Inter off cuts then found their way to Coburg on loan. It will quite the scenery change for the influx of first team players - going from the Bernabeu and San Siro to the tiny Stadion am hinteren Floßanger (yes, that's the actual name). Can AVB weld the misfits into a team capable of avoiding the drop?

As for Real Madrid, Zindane, so fed up losing his entire first team moved to a cashed up Metz FC looking to make waves in Ligue 1. So who did Real Madrid turn to you ask? Well Mr Joe Kinnear had just taken his post at Sunderland so was unavailable. Therefore, Real, probably the biggest club in the world turned to the only fitting candidate - none other than the 'best coach in the league' John Carver. It remains to be seen how they will fare this coming season.

Anyway, all that taken care of, my first day on Tyneside and I've made an offer for Mr Berbatov to realise a childhood dream in the twilight of his career and pull on that famous black and white shirt via a free transfer. Hopefully we will accept. The Toon thankfully have a bit of wage budget to play with. Also on the lookout for another CM for depth and a winger who can play AML/AMR as we're a bit light on either side. Suggestions welcome otherwise Sammy Ameobi's loan deal at Bolton might be cut short.

P.S I don't hate Real Madrid - just genuinely curious to see how Mr Carver will go with ample resources and a blank canvas to work with. :p
Both Winks and Onomah performed well for me in rotational roles in my first Spurs season so I would think that they would do well in the Champ. Onomah, who has star potential, would probably go on loan or I imagine you could get Winks reasonably cheaply who has decent potential. Depending on the formation you play Onomah is a natural at AM as well.

Both Winks and Onomah performed well for me in rotational roles in my first Spurs season so I would think that they would do well in the Champ. Onomah, who has star potential, would probably go on loan or I imagine you could get Winks reasonably cheaply who has decent potential. Depending on the formation you play Onomah is a natural at AM as well.

Cheers KS, think I'll be sending some scouts WHL way tonight. :p

I'm going to go a bit out there with this career and am thinking of playing a 5-2-2-1 formation (3 CBs, 2 wing backs, 2 CMs, 2 wingers and a center forward). Never used the formation before but want to give it a crack (hence why I need some cover out wide).

Cheers KS, think I'll be sending some scouts WHL way tonight. :p

I'm going to go a bit out there with this career and am thinking of playing a 5-2-2-1 formation (3 CBs, 2 wing backs, 2 CMs, 2 wingers and a center forward). Never used the formation before but want to give it a crack (hence why I need some cover out wide).
That's certainly an interesting formation! Good luck with it.

Not sure about wide players. Maybe you could buy Sissoko back? :p

Andre Green from Aston Villa is a jet

Season 5 summer have sold him for £14m after getting him for a couple of mil after season 1. Only selling him as I'm not using wingers this season and he has fallen behind a pretty impressive AM bunch: Lemar, Rafael Barbosa, Edwards from spurs on loan, Bergwijn, Raheem Sterling & Patrick Roberts.

if you like playing long careers then get Tammy Abraham to play AML and pinch hit as a back up striker. You should be able to get Odegaard on loan to play AMR. Bangs goals for the mighty burton in my save.

On a more realistic note, i bought Tom Ince for about 10m as Blackburn and he has 8 goals and 6 assists in the 1st 10 games of the minnowship as AML/IF. Worth a look.

Running between a 3421 & 442 narrow diamond in season 5 with Brentford.

Clubs new ground Lionel Road increased in capacity from 20,000 to 23,540 after we secured promotion with a Great Escape. Survived by 4 points in the end after a great run at the end of the season where we managed to get 17 points out of the final 8 games (only got 24 from the first 30 games).

GK: Dragowski & Badiashile
CB: Hause, Galloway, Omer Toprak, Kverkvelia, Hoogma
WB: Walker-Peters, Cools, San Emeterio, Henry
DM/CM: Sunjic, Denis Zakaria, Hou Saeter, Tielemans
AM: Lemar, Rafael Barbosa, Edwards, Sterling, Bergwijn
ST: Kuki, Max Romero & Hawthorne (regen)

Pretty bloody confident that I wont have to get out of jail to survive this season

Bojan KantKick have you got Burton Albion up to the EPL? I found getting Brentford up and then straight back down to be a massive blessing in disguise. Got the massive money in with the promotion, spent a bit to try & stay up but failed. Got the parachute money + sold my best 4-5 players for 15m or more. Set the club up massively financially

Bojan KantKick have you got Burton Albion up to the EPL? I found getting Brentford up and then straight back down to be a massive blessing in disguise. Got the massive money in with the promotion, spent a bit to try & stay up but failed. Got the parachute money + sold my best 4-5 players for 15m or more. Set the club up massively financially
yeah. in my 4-1-2-2-1 it's more important for the players to excel in their role than be good players. Most of my key players have been brought in on loan (Odegaard, Abraham, Rashford, Fosu-Mensah ). They got me to the prem. I was able to buy Odegaard, Abraham and TFM and replace Rashford who spurs bought for 41m with Charly Musonda on loan.

In short, i spend a lot of money on scouts and scouting and youf. loan them out for a couple of years until they are good enough and then get them in or sell for profit. Hard to keep the big players tho. Tammy gets really good by season 4 and I've had to let him go to United for 52m. Whole squad are pissy because i bought in a striker from Freiburg for 10m and a argie wonderkid to replace Tammy.

I must admit that i am struggling to take the next step. finishing 15-10th in the prem is fine but need to push on soon.

yeah. in my 4-1-2-2-1 it's more important for the players to excel in their role than be good players. Most of my key players have been brought in on loan (Odegaard, Abraham, Rashford, Fosu-Mensah ). They got me to the prem. I was able to buy Odegaard, Abraham and TFM and replace Rashford who spurs bought for 41m with Charly Musonda on loan.

In short, i spend a lot of money on scouts and scouting and youf. loan them out for a couple of years until they are good enough and then get them in or sell for profit. Hard to keep the big players tho. Tammy gets really good by season 4 and I've had to let him go to United for 52m. Whole squad are pissy because i bought in a striker from Freiburg for 10m and a argie wonderkid to replace Tammy.

I must admit that i am struggling to take the next step. finishing 15-10th in the prem is fine but need to push on soon.
I'm hoping this season is 10-15th with a cup run. Managed to make a cup final in season 3 when I was back in the Championship. League Cup i find is a great cup to attack as a small club.

Yeah I've done the same with bringing in scouts from all over the world (up to 19 now) and selling on kids for profit. Got a couple of Nigerian kids who just cant get WPs they're just short of the international caps at this stage. Annoying since they're dominating in 1st division in Spain and Germany and could do jobs for me. Might sign them onto new contracts and give it another go and if not will sell them on, 3rd year I've loaned them out.

I'm hoping this season is 10-15th with a cup run. Managed to make a cup final in season 3 when I was back in the Championship. League Cup i find is a great cup to attack as a small club.

Yeah I've done the same with bringing in scouts from all over the world (up to 19 now) and selling on kids for profit. Got a couple of Nigerian kids who just cant get WPs they're just short of the international caps at this stage. Annoying since they're dominating in 1st division in Spain and Germany and could do jobs for me. Might sign them onto new contracts and give it another go and if not will sell them on, 3rd year I've loaned them out.
my team at the moment is
Rajkovic
O'connor - Romagnoli - Tuanzebe - Sessegnon
-------------------Fosu-Mensah
-------Gribbin ---- Lo Celso
Odegaard -----------------Musonda (loan)
--------------------Philipp

Fruchtl
Florentino Luis
Reiss Nelson (loan)
Ze Gomes
Dael Fry
Tom Ince
Kuki

Taken me ages to build depth. Next step is to push into the top 10 or win a cup.

I'm currently 8th after 29 games. Would love a europa spot and I'm only 4 points off 6th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This FM was defo done by Spurs fans.

Spurs are on course for back to back to back UCLs...............

Burton is a feeder club for them ffs. Chelsea are selling Musonda to Atletico in the summer so i need a new winger/IF fml
Haha I've always felt that they must be Arsenal fans.

I can never forget Shceznzy (sp?) being significantly better than Lloris in about FM 14 or 15. Not so much this one, but previous editions of FM Arsenal have always gone on massive winning runs in my saves.

Just won Las Palmas their first ever trophy in my second season with them in Manager Mode on FIFA 16. Jonathan Viera, hometown boy, scored with half an hour to go against Real Madrid to lift the Copa del Rey. Also finished 3rd in the league after winning the last 7 games (against the bottom 7 lol).

Getting annoyed now. PSG want Fosu-Mensah who has asked to leave and campaignerfaces like Thiago Silva and Peaheat Tia Maria are telling him to move.

My scouts want me to replace him with Emre Can who has bizarrely found himself surplus to requirements........at Real Madrid. I have a young half back from Benfica, Florentino Luis, who looks good so may just play him for a season or 2 until he is up to scratch.

That's certainly an interesting formation! Good luck with it.

Not sure about wide players. Maybe you could buy Sissoko back? :p

Mostly playing it as I want to see how some of Rafa's signings (Hanley, Lazaar, Yedlin) and other fringe players like Mbemba go if they are first XI choices.

Pass on Sissoko also. Still got to clear some other deadwood out first! :p

Andre Green from Aston Villa is a jet

Season 5 summer have sold him for £14m after getting him for a couple of mil after season 1. Only selling him as I'm not using wingers this season and he has fallen behind a pretty impressive AM bunch: Lemar, Rafael Barbosa, Edwards from spurs on loan, Bergwijn, Raheem Sterling & Patrick Roberts.

Think I had Barbosa on loan during my Rotherham playthrough if memory serves me right. Handy player!

if you like playing long careers then get Tammy Abraham to play AML and pinch hit as a back up striker. You should be able to get Odegaard on loan to play AMR. Bangs goals for the mighty burton in my save.

On a more realistic note, i bought Tom Ince for about 10m as Blackburn and he has 8 goals and 6 assists in the 1st 10 games of the minnowship as AML/IF. Worth a look.

Abraham has been doing very well in the Championship in RL also. Odegaard must have been some coup for little ol' Burton. Jackson Irvine might be pinching himself haha.

Mostly playing it as I want to see how some of Rafa's signings (Hanley, Lazaar, Yedlin) and other fringe players like Mbemba go if they are first XI choices.

Pass on Sissoko also. Still got to clear some other deadwood out first! :p

Think I had Barbosa on loan during my Rotherham playthrough if memory serves me right. Handy player!

Abraham has been doing very well in the Championship in RL also. Odegaard must have been some coup for little ol' Burton. Jackson Irvine might be pinching himself haha.
had to wait till i got to the prem to get Odegaard. he turned me down in the Championship haha

Halilovic, Viera, Boateng, Jese, Livaja, Tana, Vicente, Roque and Bigas would give you the base for an awesome team. The attack alone is jizz inducing.

Getting another CB and a LB would be first priorities IMO.
yep, that was the plan. lemos and viera in particular are highly rated. castellano is someone i've picked up cheap in other saves and he's terrific.

had to wait till i got to the prem to get Odegaard. he turned me down in the Championship haha

Haha that actually makes more sense.

A few years ago, a mate of mine once managed Soton and led them to double promotions back to back (when they were in League One) to the PL. He ended up using his entire transfer budget signing Neymar (prior to his Barca move). Was pretty cool! :D

Irvine is pretty handy himself in my save. 1.5 good seasons at Burton and then Stoke signed him up

Nice! Stoke still in the PL? I looked at his stats and they were pretty solid. Suspect he becomes a mainstay in the Socceroos setup in the game.

Haha that actually makes more sense.

A few years ago, a mate of mine once managed Soton and led them to double promotions back to back (when they were in League One) to the PL. He ended up using his entire transfer budget signing Neymar (prior to his Barca move). Was pretty cool! :D

Nice! Stoke still in the PL? I looked at his stats and they were pretty solid. Suspect he becomes a mainstay in the Socceroos setup in the game.
Yeah they had a real good season 4. Finished top 6. Liverpool finished 13th and sacked Klopp

Remove this Banner Ad

Back