Roast The footy department!

Remove this Banner Ad

Spose thats one way to look at it, but still he didnt win them a premiership and the poor Dogs are still waiting. I dont know about you but I want our Suns to win one in my life time.
I reckon if any coach had the injuries we've had over the past two years they would struggle. Look at where Freo and Collingwood are with less injuries than us.

I reckon if any coach had the injuries we've had over the past two years they would struggle. Look at where Freo and Collingwood are with less injuries than us.
I suppose the only issue is we had just as many injuries last year but were competitive, unlike the blowouts the past 3 weeks.
Maybe the sub going and less rotations hurts more when you get 2 injuries early like we've had. I'm not looking at our coach as much as looking at why we seem to be injury prone and seems to take ages for our injured to return.

I suppose the only issue is we had just as many injuries last year but were competitive, unlike the blowouts the past 3 weeks.
Maybe the sub going and less rotations hurts more when you get 2 injuries early like we've had. I'm not looking at our coach as much as looking at why we seem to be injury prone and seems to take ages for our injured to return.
Too true it does seem that our players take a lot longer to return from injury than other clubs.
Im not writing them off, we have been handed big losses to some sides in good form this year, the boys just need to find that confidence again.

Too true it does seem that our players take a lot longer to return from injury than other clubs.
Im not writing them off, we have been handed big losses to some sides in good form this year, the boys just need to find that confidence again.
Perhaps we need Essendon's medical staff to help jab us in the right direction

Thoughts on Nick Riewoldt as an assistant? Not really sure what role I would have him in, more of a romantic thing I guess

Near the end, obviously would be his first gig but might be happy to come up being from here, has the spirit of a champion

Thoughts on Nick Riewoldt as an assistant? Not really sure what role I would have him in, more of a romantic thing I guess

Near the end, obviously would be his first gig but might be happy to come up being from here, has the spirit of a champion
I vaguely recall him saying his moving to nth America after footy with his wife and her family are from there?

I thought the reason why the Suns were under performing was due to injury.
So why the need for rebuild ????
Is this an admission of failure

And the Suns weak a$$ board is letting this happen again.

A few things ticking over in my mind if this 3yr re-build is indeed true. Which at least we can confirm tomorrow night.

1. It instantly takes the pressure off the club to make finals for the next 3 years. Are they hoping to lower supporters expectations so there is less backlash?

2. How are the players going to interpret this news? Will they accept the footy dept is putting the finals footy cue back in the rack for 3yrs?

2. Is it a sign JOM & Prestia are 90% leaving (perhaps others as well) & the club has seen this as an opportunity to utilise their high trade potential to overhaul our list? Possibly could end up with 5 or 6 Rd1 picks to play with?

3. Is Clayton the right man to recruit for this re-build? Or was he initially just recruiting what Bluey wanted... And now needs to recruit what Rocket wants? Or did he just f$&k up?

4. Does it need to take 3yrs? Could we not just have a god almighty massive trades period this year and get things back on track next season?

I dunno. No other media seems to be running with it. See what the powers to be say tomorrow night.

A few things ticking over in my mind if this 3yr re-build is indeed true. Which at least we can confirm tomorrow night.

1. It instantly takes the pressure off the club to make finals for the next 3 years. Are they hoping to lower supporters expectations so there is less backlash?

2. How are the players going to interpret this news? Will they accept the footy dept is putting the finals footy cue back in the rack for 3yrs?

2. Is it a sign JOM & Prestia are 90% leaving (perhaps others as well) & the club has seen this as an opportunity to utilise their high trade potential to overhaul our list? Possibly could end up with 5 or 6 Rd1 picks to play with?

3. Is Clayton the right man to recruit for this re-build? Or was he initially just recruiting what Bluey wanted... And now needs to recruit what Rocket wants? Or did he just f$&k up?

4. Does it need to take 3yrs? Could we not just have a god almighty massive trades period this year and get things back on track next season?

I dunno. No other media seems to be running with it. See what the powers to be say tomorrow night.

It sounds like JOM and Prestia have put a line through staying and by putting out noise of a 'rebuild' the club are signalling to the other clubs that we are open for business from a trade point of view to getting some bidding happening to up their price.

Maybe they want to clear the decks of the players who were remnants of the poor culture (Bluey's fault) or just don't have the skills required (Clayton's fault).

At least we have a quality spine already developing so at least we won't have to overreach to get that and wait 5 years to develop.

It sounds like JOM and Prestia have put a line through staying and by putting out noise of a 'rebuild' the club are signalling to the other clubs that we are open for business from a trade point of view to getting some bidding happening to up their price.

Maybe they want to clear the decks of the players who were remnants of the poor culture (Bluey's fault) or just don't have the skills required (Clayton's fault).

At least we have a quality spine already developing so at least we won't have to overreach to get that and wait 5 years to develop.

Tony in his SEN interview stated Eade is staying coach 100%
Clayton is staying is the right man for the job
And JOM and Prestia are both required players
And we have spent a fortune getting O'Meara back..
His 1 of the hottest young talent around.
We hope he feels the need to repay the debts for everything we've done for him the past 2 years.

Stated.. Watch out for us in the second half of year, we'll cause problems for finals contenders.

Sounds like Tony wants the same team/club just less injuries

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A 3 year plan to turn the club around and become a finals team is a good idea.

Two things to consider first.

Firstly, how are the other teams going? Our competition is actually doing pretty well.
  • A lot are going well.
  • The Pies and Port have under-performed but are still 10th and 11th
  • A few are ready to get a lot better very quickly (Freo, Tigers, Bombers).
  • Saints have a lot in place.
  • Blues are playing better and have some young top graders.
  • The Lions with a healthy midfield plus some growth from the young talls will improve.

Secondly, how are we set up? Our key talls are good, but:
  • Our ruck is a question mark.
  • Our best midfielders are all question marks.
  • Our midfield depth and quality is a question mark.
  • Some of our veterans are big question marks.
  • Our running power and kicking are question marks (big problems in the modern game).
  • The transition of highly drafted youngsters into the midfield is a question mark (Martin, Ah Chee, Garlett).
  • Our player development overall is a question mark.

Realistically?
There are far more than 8 clubs that are set up to do well in the next couple of years. There are no obvious basket cases on the horizon.

To compete we will need to be very big improvers across the board, both in terms of health and in player development. Given our history, hard to bank on either of those things.

Or, we need to try to upgrade our list by sending out some of our question marks and replacing them with other options (hopefully a mix of academy players, draft picks, surplus GWS players, and an experienced B grader or two).

Nothing easy there. Going to need hard work and luck as well as competence!

Just heard Luke Bev on Fox Footy during a between programs interview segment with David King say that he did speak to us when we were in the market for a senior coach but he wasn't prepared to move interstate

Wonder if it was a similar story with a couple of other options

Just heard Luke Bev on Fox Footy during a between programs interview segment with David King say that he did speak to us when we were in the market for a senior coach but he wasn't prepared to move interstate

Interesting,

I still wonder how Bolton would have turned out for us.

I know he's got a team around him at Carlton but.. The man served his apprenticeship with Clarko

Not that I dislike Rocket, but that sucks. Love what he's done there.

Not that I dislike Rocket, but that sucks. Love what he's done there.
I do too, but I think we needed the hard knuckled, tough as nails, no bullshit coach to fix up our off field issues then on field after. In which I feel Rocket is the guy for us.

I do too, but I think we needed the hard knuckled, tough as nails, no bullshit coach to fix up our off field issues then on field after. In which I feel Rocket is the guy for us.

Yes I can see this. I do think it was important to change the culture. I think Rocket has steadied the ship, I just hope he can lead us to some success. I would feel bad if he leaves and then we are in the premiership hunt. Hope he can taste some success.

Why bother having the interview then. Did he think we'd relocate Metricon Stadiun to Melbourne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back