The future - Fev, Kouta, Campo, Stevens, Whitnall..

Remove this Banner Ad

luke2177

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2004
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in what others think of where the likes of Fevola, Campo, Stevens, Whitnall are going beyond 2005?

My view is that Carlton should do everything within their power to retain Fevola, without paying him the Earth of course. Around the $300K-$350K sounds about right. The kids love him, and will have a key role in the marketing of our club for years to come, if he can get his act together on the field.

Stevens, I would guess, will remain at Carlton post-2005 - he is our best midfielder with Koutoufides, and the way Stevens uses the ball is crucial to our set-up. We need good delivery to Fev, so if they both stay with the Blues, could be one of the best 1-2 combinations in the AFL.

Camporeale- tough one - he's struggling on the field, especially with his discipline. He's on a huge salary, but if he's to stay on - he'll need to take a severe pay-cut. I like the bloke, but I wouldn't be surprised if he looks to move back to South Australia for the final 2-3 years of his career. If Carlton are offered something of value for Campo from Adelaide or Port, don't be surprised if a trade takes place.

Whitnall - another bloke on a large salary, who will need to take a big pay-cut to stay on. The talk is that Whitnall is on very shaky ground and is at the crossroads (according to Collo on 3AW yesterday). He played well yesterday, but I don't think it's going to be enough for him to stay on. Look for the trade that never happened in 2004, to take place in 2005. Carlton can't afford to keep him on if he still isn't performing.

Koutoufides - what a champion. I'm so happy he is having a sensational season this year, and I believe next year is the final year of his big 5-year multi-million dollar contract. I think Kouta is on the veterans list, which should help regarding his massive contract. Will play on for possibly his final year in 2006 - depending on how his body holds up. On 2005 form alone, our current best and fairest - and another 2 years is not out of the question.

So what am I suggesting to Carlton?

Do everything within their power to keep Fevola and Stevens. Two match winners and the loss of either would hurt our forward line and midfield respectively.

Consider options regarding Camporeale and Whitnall. Offer either far-reduced deals to free up cap space, or look for a trade for draft picks or young players. If Campo wishes to return to S.A, then we shouldn't stand in his way - presuming we're offered something of quality in return.

Give Koutoufides every opportunity to play another few years. He is a champion, one of our best ever. The prime of his career ('00, '01) was cut down by injuries, which was a shame, but won't hurt his legacy as a brilliant player who will be remembered a long time by the Carlton faithful.

Give Russell and S.O'hAilpin some games in the second half of 2005 - if they're ready. O'hAilpin especially, throw him into the back line to give him experience and get him ready for 2006 - where he will hopefully play a key role.

I really think we're on the right track. Depending on results over the next few months, we may end up with the first two picks of this years draft, which would help us enourmously if we were to finish down the bottom.

So - thoughts?

Anyone strongly agree/disagree with what I've suggested?

yeah we have to make sure fevola stays. camporeale will not be around for much longer and whitnall will be our main trade bait. and unless someone gets seriously injured, setanta wont be playing again unfortunately this year cos he is back on the rookie list.
Kouta is just a living legend and could play another 2 years if his body held up.

Well thought out and totally agree. I think the face saving performances of the last season could have been foregone and our list improved by getting rid of campo and whitnall earlier. Whitnall is relly hard as we need him to lead the club, but has to go.
Players like walker (davies, fisher, waite) are going to make this team pump, so if we can find one decent player with campo/whitnal trade, and one decent player with early picks, and one decent player through rookie draft.....hooahh. We have a team. Especially with the looks of Bryan pairing up with Prenders. (Do we still have knot or whatever his name is from north).
I just hope we dont et too carried away with hopeing the best from underperformers, McKerrnan etc.

i think talk of trading whitnall is unrealistic - every other team can see his performances, why would they think they can get more out of him? Having said that, he was great on saturday and generally good when he is allowed to play in the forward line.

What would Carlton expect to get for him if they did trade him? He's not worth a first round pick. Who wants him? no interest early this year. Which team needs him?

stevens will be the next captain

campo - difficult - I'd like to see him on a half forward flank or forward pocket. can't see him worth that much as trade bait but you never know. Good player having a bad year.

need fev to stay but in order to get the best out him we need another couple of forward options - which is the role T. longmuir was supposed to fill.

ralphmalph said:
i think talk of trading whitnall is unrealistic - every other team can see his performances, why would they think they can get more out of him?
Well, arguably the "best" team in the competition - St.Kilda - were looking at him quite seriously during the trade period, so given Lance has got himself fitter and will without question have a better year this year, his value may even increase. Not that I would expect to get more than a 2nd round pick for him. In fact, I'd be happy with Jason Gram (originally from Brisbane, now at St.Kilda), that kid looks quite good. We could do with a bit of pace.

Perhaps Gram and a 3rd round pick for Whitnall?

Having said all this, I should clarify that I'm actually a fan of Big Red. If he kicks 40-50 goals and finishes top 5 in our best and fairest, I'd be very happy for him! I guess it comes down to what is in the best interest of the Carlton footy club.

On a side note, I watched the 1995 Grand Final last night. ahhhhhhh. :D

luke2177 said:
Give Russell and S.O'hAilpin some games in the second half of 2005 - if they're ready. O'hAilpin especially, throw him into the back line to give him experience and get him ready for 2006 - where he will hopefully play a key role.

Go to the thread about Rd 12 Team and I said the same thing

Give O'hAilpin a go what have we got to lose

We need young guns, players who are full of enthusiasm, players that Pagan can nurture and bring through a solid program. We need to creat a culture similiur to what North did when Pagan first started there and if that means trading Fev,Red,Campo,Stevo or anyone for that matter im happy to do it.

luke2177 said:
Well, arguably the "best" team in the competition - St.Kilda - were looking at him quite seriously during the trade period, so given Lance has got himself fitter and will without question have a better year this year, his value may even increase. Not that I would expect to get more than a 2nd round pick for him. In fact, I'd be happy with Jason Gram (originally from Brisbane, now at St.Kilda), that kid looks quite good. We could do with a bit of pace.

Perhaps Gram and a 3rd round pick for Whitnall?

Having said all this, I should clarify that I'm actually a fan of Big Red. If he kicks 40-50 goals and finishes top 5 in our best and fairest, I'd be very happy for him! I guess it comes down to what is in the best interest of the Carlton footy club.

On a side note, I watched the 1995 Grand Final last night. ahhhhhhh. :D
gram struggled at brisbane, he is struggling at st kilda, i would rather get picks in round 2 & 3 than gram for your suggested trade.

we are back in the draft now, we need to look to kids and developing the current list we have, i think we will see very few recycled players traded by carlton next year. 2 or 3 max (+ pre season pick) unless they are of a high quality and too good to refuse.

Was watching the game Saturday night - You guys really need to get rid of Campereole. Try and trade him whilst he has *some* value. Without looking at the stats, I thought he had 7 clangers and when I had a chance to look at them, I saw that I was right.

Carlton would be much better without him

Well, arguably the "best" team in the competition - St.Kilda - were looking at him quite seriously during the trade period, so given Lance has got himself fitter and will without question have a better year this year, his value may even increase

Yes, but they were the only ones and offered nothing really for him in exchange.
I agree Campo could go, he is past it and the opposition know just to stir him up and he will retaliate (50 metre penalty thanks) and..lose the plot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bulldogrob said:
What do you guys reckon you will take for us to get the services of Lance????

Agree with Free Willy. Wouldn't mind getting Rawlings at Carlton. Other than Rawlings, maybe a Mitch Hahn, who is playing seconds at the moment.

In terms of draft picks, nothing worse than a 2nd round pick.

I was thinking about this in the morning as I was talking to a friend who supports the Blues.

I think you should shop Fev and Whitnall around. Build your forward line around Jarred Waite. Pick up a stop gap full forward if possible.

Fev should be able to get you some depth. Something like a good young player and a first rounder. He should have if not better, the same currency that Ottens and Thompson had.

Also get rid of Lance - if the offer is right. I'm not sure if a swap for Mitch Hanh or Rawlings to the Dogs would benefit you guys? He may hit form for a new club, but even if this happens it shouldn't bother you guys, because I dont think he can achieve what he used to with the outfit you have at the moment.

Next, do everything you can to keep Koutafidies playing and give him a send off his deserves. He is a great player.

As I mentioned before get rid of Campreole as soon as possible. From an outsiders view, he is too easy to antagonise, can not handle the hard tag without giving away free kicks and the game is getting beyond him. Try and trade him back to South Australia for anything you can get.

Keep Nick Stevens as he is a good player. However if the opportunity came up to trade for some decent youth, it would have to be strongly considered.

The players you should build around in my opinion are Lappin, Jarred Waite, Brett Thornton and Andrew Walker [Wasn't a fan but he impressed me somewhat against Acker]

I know I might cop some flack for suggesting that you guys Trade Fevola, but your list seems a bit too thin around the ground and trading him could net you some good depth.

Any thoughts?

HugeBluesFan said:
Agree with Free Willy. Wouldn't mind getting Rawlings at Carlton. Other than Rawlings, maybe a Mitch Hahn, who is playing seconds at the moment.

In terms of draft picks, nothing worse than a 2nd round pick.

Rawlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If Carlton draft Rawlings I will no longer support the club! My view is Lance will stay and campo will 2, his the love child they wont get rid of him. now Lance can settle up forward he will be up there in the B&F.

While I thought it to be highly unlikely at first, Im pretty worried about Fevola leaving. If he really wanted to stay with Carlton he would have re-signed.

Remember Johnathan brown it come out in the news about his contract and a week later he resigned! During that period he had talks with Collingwood (ed said on the Footy show) and no doubt numerous others.

Wouldnt be suprised if Fev was becoming increasingly involved in talks, lets hope Carlton dont let im go and more importantly that money doesnt become the main factor in the decision. :(

Sealen said:
Andrew Walker [Wasn't a fan but he impressed me somewhat against Acker]

I know I might cop some flack for suggesting that you guys Trade Fevola, but your list seems a bit too thin around the ground and trading him could net you some good depth.

Any thoughts?

First off you should never have doubted the kid he's a gun! ;)

Secondly Getting rid of your CHF and FF is IMO a stupid way to go. i think we can build a team around these two its the players up the field who we need to get in to.

Couple of resonable suggestions but I cant really see too much trading of lance fev and campo. Although a lot of fringe players will be shipped off

ECHUCABOY said:
First off you should never have doubted the kid he's a gun! ;)

Secondly Getting rid of your CHF and FF is IMO a stupid way to go. i think we can build a team around these two its the players up the field who we need to get in to.

Couple of resonable suggestions but I cant really see too much trading of lance fev and campo. Although a lot of fringe players will be shipped off

Was up your way on the weekend a nice quiet place the Echuca/Moama area. Didn't go to OPT for once.. LOL

True, getting rid of the CHF and the FF may be disasterous in the short term and it may be robbing Peter to pay Paul, but the Blues need to be daring in my opinion.

Need some more turn over, you won't be able to improve by just turning over the fringe players, you will need to give up something and that something IMO are Fev and Whitnall.

Fair point mate! 50/50 option really will be interesting to see what happens!
I moved to melb this year but was home on the weekend, place was rocking! haha

Very very big weekend, hot tip dont go to OPT and hit the Shamrock till close then if your drunk enough go to OPT! ahaha only good when ya para that place

Fev's a matchwinner and the only one you have. Whitnall is worthless at the trade table.

Carlton is stuck with both of them.

hotpie said:
Fev's a matchwinner and the only one you have. Whitnall is worthless at the trade table.

Carlton is stuck with both of them.

stick to your own board dill your post doesn't even make sense. You say we are stuck with Fev and he is a matchwinner. Doesn't that make him very tradeable? After Whitnall's last 2 games there are plenty of clubs out there who would be interested in Lance.

Kooley said:
stick to your own board dill your post doesn't even make sense. You say we are stuck with Fev and he is a matchwinner. Doesn't that make him very tradeable?

He's very very tradeable but if yyou lose him you have nobody left to build a side around. As wild as he may be he should be the one player you want to keep. A bit like Everitt. StKilda lost patience with him, and getting rid of him will probably cost them a flag.

Whitnall = no value at all. You'll be lucky to get a late second round pick for him. Talent-wise, hes better than that, but whatever you get for him wont be what he's worth, because he's damaged goods.

You should keep Fev because he's a gun, and you'll be stuck with Whitnall because of the publicity surrounding him reducing his trade value.

our forward line is NOT the problem ...we need tall key defenders and inside midfielders . if Fev and Whitnall were playing in the eagles forward line they would kick bags of goals every week .
Camporeale has ben a great player for the blues over the years but his time is up ...he should only re-sign with a significant pay cut and finish his career at the club playing off the bench (ala riccardi for the cats )

exactly, our forward line is not our problem, its our defence and our midfield that let us down each week, when we get it in there properly we score goals, suprise suprise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back