news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Meh, main event was gonna be boring anyway.

Algeo v Carlyle and Baeza v Sato are the two most interesting fights on the card.

Mudaerji also a half interesting chinese prospect and Kamaka is a pretty decent up and coming FW.

Just watched the latest event.

Good to see Smith back in the winners column. Ate a heavy shot early and then just dominated it on the ground.

The heavyweights were the fight of the night for mine. Parker Porter is a new fan favourite. Or he should be anyway.

I just don't get why these guys don't / can't lose another 20 lb of fat and put it on their legs and upper body in muscle.

Seriously, those of you who know more about this sport than I do, what am I missing here?

Just watched the latest event.

Good to see Smith back in the winners column. Ate a heavy shot early and then just dominated it on the ground.

The heavyweights were the fight of the night for mine. Parker Porter is a new fan favourite. Or he should be anyway.

I just don't get why these guys don't / can't lose another 20 lb of fat and put it on their legs and upper body in muscle.

Seriously, those of you who know more about this sport than I do, what am I missing here?
Lazy, nothing more. These aren't the best athletes at heavyweight. The best athletes that size are in the NFL, NBA, or even box. MMA is left with leftovers which is often fat blokes. Given the minuscule money on offer in MMA they're probably working FT so training and dieting required to do as you suggest is difficult and they just get by on what they have.

That said, there's still heavyweight boxers. I'm often perplexed as to how you can train every day and be drastically overweight

Absolutely spewing about that. Had a big bet on Leon...

Also, he does himself no favours at all. Unless it's affected his VISA, or he is actually sick and can't train, it's weak. Keep training and take another test in a few days. It'll likely come back negative

Everyone else was ready all year, not Leon. He sat at home whinging

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely spewing about that. Had a big bet on Leon...

Also, he does himself no favours at all. Unless it's affected his VISA, or he is actually sick and can't train, it's weak. Keep training and take another test in a few days. It'll likely come back negative

Everyone else was ready all year, not Leon. He sat at home whinging

Edwards' case was severe. He hasn't been able to train at all and lost 12 pounds in four days, sources told ESPN's Brett Okamoto. He's currently in the process of recovering at home.

that is a quote from here:

Edwards' case was severe. He hasn't been able to train at all and lost 12 pounds in four days, sources told ESPN's Brett Okamoto. He's currently in the process of recovering at home.

that is a quote from here:

My mistake, I hadn't seen an article but only a tweet regarding it

2-3 days ago he said the fight was on (when it was rumoured Chimaev had it) so it's weird to lose so much weight in that time.

woulda liked to see him at light heavyweight so he wasn't always killing himself with the weight cut.
If he goes to Bellator you'd imagine it'd be a straight title shot against Mousasi other than going up in weight there and fighting Nemkov or Bader there isn't a whole lot of interesting matchups

The question for me is just...why? Still had 3 fights left on ufc contract.

Has he had that supplements-saga payout yet? That was said to have been around $25,000,000. Yes, shitloads.
I've heard from a few different places he won't see a cent of that

I've heard from a few different places he won't see a cent of that
Ouch. Fancy getting told that you're in for a massive, life changing payout, only to never see a cent. 🤕

On another note, I just read this which I didn't know had happened.. "Romero, 43, won a silver medal in freestyle wrestling at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney".

A long career and he still looks magnificent at 43.. Hopefully he makes some great coin at another promotion and hopefully he keeps his training on point.

Wonder why the UFC didn't opt to keep him. 205 is so bloody shallow...

Oh yeah, cutting decent fighters to bring in more DWTNCS scrubs and low level WMMA to afford the next round of dividend payments.

Nemkov, AJ, Corey, Bader is better than Jan, Glover, Santos, Reyes. Bellator catching up slowly overall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back