THE GF. ..WHO TAKES IT OUT THIS YEAR

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope Carlton gets through to at least SF1 because it's good for football to see Collingwood Vs Carlton at the G in a Final.
View attachment 1788369
Not far off from my prediction. I also think Dees and Lions are the likely GF teams, but obviously the other rounds are slightly different with my obvious bias.
1693357157775.png

If Collingwood get their contingent back, maybe, but they seem to be dropping like flies at both afl and vfl level

I actually think despite the gws flogging. Carlton is playing the best footy of anyone in the 8

Melbourne probably best situated for a tilt. Healthy-ish list, star power

TBF out of our starting 23, will only be Naicos unable to be selected

I love these sorts of posts.

The hatred seething is a thing of beauty.

You just want us to fail so badly so you can come back on here and say I told you so!
Mate this is like 99% of BigFooty. Not many oppo fans want to see the lions succeed. If we fail on the big day it'll be even worse. Then we can never win a flag. Everyone is waiting for it.

Sydney are no good. Shouldn't really be in the finals. FWIW, they were pretty ordinary last year too. It just happened to be an extraordinarily poor standard comp.

So it's a hard No to Sydney.

Saints midfield is weak in terms of Clearances and composure, so they'll be lucky to make it past Week 1. I like where they're going, but until they get some class in the middle, they're deep in No Man's Land.

So it's a No to the Saints.

Carlton's turnover game is rubbish, which will hurt them. When they don't dominate Clearances, they struggle. They are also too Curnow reliant, and they won't get away with that in Finals against the top 3 teams. I reckon they beat Sydney pretty comfortably, but won't go past Week 2.
I worry about Voss. They seem to base their game on pressure (like all clubs do), but then don't have the technical plan beyond that.

No to Carlton.

Giants are good. Awesome midfield, especially with Ward coming good. They have a lot of pieces in there, and can hurt you many different ways. Their issue is the forward line though, as I reckon Hogan isn't much chop. It always seems to be about Toby Green, and it's rare that a midget forward can carry a team to a flag.

Having said that, I rate them highly but just don't think they'll be able to get past a Prelim. They have a coach who seems very good at identifying the opposition key strengths, and they have players capable of execution the plan to mitigate them. But the forward line remains an issue.

Soft No for the Giants.

Port are a No. A soft No though. Brilliant midfield but I don't like their forward line. Alir holds the defence together and is a freak footballer - and with a hard and dominant midfield the opposition finds it hard to score.
But their forward line is very 'meh'. Even with Dixon, I despise the 'bomb it to the big forward to crash the packs and bring it to ground' strategy. It's so predictable and teams shut it down too easily.

Soft No for Port.

Melbourne are a gun team with some genuine stars. With Petracca, Oliver, Viney, May, Lever and Gawn - they have a spine alone that is good enough to get them over probably 6 of the top 8 teams. Forward line is a worry, as I don't think that freaky looking little dweeb Fritsch can be the key forward. Their midfield and defence is good enough to compensate though - but I'm not sure it's good enough to compensate against a fit Collingwood, a Brisbane or even a Port? Losing Melksham hurts.

If they don't get recurring injuries to guys like Oliver and Fritsch, then they're a strong Yes for mine.

Strong Yes for Brisbane. They seem a bit fragile still, but I think that's more based on the perception of them being a front running team with an electric offence that isn't overly defensive. But I think that whilst that was true in previous years, I don't think it's the case this year.

They are a bit Neale reliant, but he's good enough to be relied on.

Strong Yes for the Lions.

Collingwood just need to get healthy. I don't buy that their bad form recently is due to being worked out, or being no good all of a sudden. They just lost their best players, that's all.
If they get Daicos back and he's fit, and get Moore back fit - they're a strong Yes.

So...I reckon:
GWS beat St Kilda
Brisbane beat Port
Melbourne beat Collingwood
Carlton beat Sydney

GWS beat Port
Collingwood beat Carlton

Melbourne beat GWS
Brisbane beat Collingwood

Melbourne beat Brisbane

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney are no good. Shouldn't really be in the finals. FWIW, they were pretty ordinary last year too. It just happened to be an extraordinarily poor standard comp.

So it's a hard No to Sydney.

Saints midfield is weak in terms of Clearances and composure, so they'll be lucky to make it past Week 1. I like where they're going, but until they get some class in the middle, they're deep in No Man's Land.

So it's a No to the Saints.

Carlton's turnover game is rubbish, which will hurt them. When they don't dominate Clearances, they struggle. They are also too Curnow reliant, and they won't get away with that in Finals against the top 3 teams. I reckon they beat Sydney pretty comfortably, but won't go past Week 2.
I worry about Voss. They seem to base their game on pressure (like all clubs do), but then don't have the technical plan beyond that.

No to Carlton.

Giants are good. Awesome midfield, especially with Ward coming good. They have a lot of pieces on there, and can hurt you many different ways. Their issue is the forward line though, as I reckon Hogan isn't much good. It always seems to be about Toby Green, and it's rare that a midget forward can carry a team to a flag.

Having said that, I rate them highly but just don't think they'll be able to get past a Prelim. They have a coach who seems very good at identifying the opposition key strengths, and they have players capable of execution the plan to mitigate it. But the forward line remains an issue.

Soft No for the Giants.

Port are a no. A soft No though. Brilliant midfield but I don't like their forward line. Alir holds the defence together and is a freak footballer - and with a hard and dominant midfield the opposition finds it hard to score.
But their forward line is very meh. Even with Dixon, I despise the 'bomb it to the big forward to crash the packs and bring it to ground' strategy. It's so predictable and teams shut it down too easily.

Soft No for Port.

Melbourne are a gun team with some genuine stars. With Petracca, Oliver, Vine, May, Lever and Gawn - they have a spine alone that is good enough to get them over 6 of the top 8 teams. Forward line is a worry, as I don't think that freaky looking little dweeb Fritsch can be the key forward. Their midfield and defence is good enough to compensate though - but I'm not sure it's good enough to compensate against a fit Collingwood, a Brisbane or even a Port? Losing Melksham hurts.

If they don't get recurring injuries to guys like Oliver and Fritsch, then they're a yes for mine.

Strong Yes for Brisbane. They seem a bit fragile still, but I think that's more a perception of them being a front runner team with an electric offence that isn't overly defensive. But I think that whilst that was true in previous years, I don't think it's the case this year.

They are a bit Neale reliant, but he's good enough to be relied on.

Strong yes.

Collingwood just need to get healthy. I don't buy that their bad form recently is due to being worked out, or being no good all of a sudden. They just lost their best players, that's all.
If they get Daicos back and he's fit, and get Moore back fit - they're a strong yes.

So...I reckon:
GWS beat St Kilda
Brisbane beat Port
Melbourne beat Collingwood
Carlton beat Sydney

GWS beat Port
Collingwood beat Carlton

Melbourne beat GWS
Brisbane beat Collingwood

Melbourne beat Brisbane
I agree with your assessment on Port Adelaide, especially the forward line.

But I'm still confused on how our scoring output is on the same level as Collingwood Brisbane (and Adelaide).

(note that Port beat GWS quite comfortably a couple of weeks back, and the game would be in Adelaide.)

I agree with your assessment on Port Adelaide, especially the forward line.

But I'm still confused on how our scoring output is on the same level as Collingwood Brisbane (and Adelaide).

(note that Port beat GWS quite comfortably a couple of weeks back, and the game would be in Adelaide.)
I just like the Giants right now. I think if Ward from the weekend is the Ward we'll see in the Finals - they'll be dangerous.

Huh?
What part of my post do you disagree with?
The part where you’ve ordained us as premiers from mid season and anything less than that would be deemed a ‘failure’ and ‘shitting the bed’ despite the fact so many posters now deem Brisbane and Melbourne equal, if not a greater chance of winning the flag after the last 6 weeks.

Your post reeks of wanting Collingwood to just choke it up so you can bask in the pain of others.

If we were 10 games undefeated, about to face a weaker, inferior opposition your post would’ve made more sense, but we’re actually heading into a final against a team who is probably our equal to winning the flag. How would that be shitting the bed exactly?

The part where you’ve ordained us as premiers from mid season and anything less than that would be deemed a ‘failure’ and ‘shitting the bed’ despite the fact so many posters now deem Brisbane and Melbourne equal, if not a greater chance of winning the flag after the last 6 weeks.
It seems you are upset with my view because it doesn’t align to others.

I’ve got Collingwood flag favourites and I’ve stated why.
Not sure why you are getting your back up about it.

They are the deserved flag favourites but we haven't had an interstate team take it out since 2018 and you would have to say it is overdue. That's why I am going GWS.
It keeps the competition honest.😁

Pies are favourites simply because of the MCG factor. Pretty much everyone agrees that the Lions can't win at the MCG VS Pies. Dees maybe

If the Pies win the first final they are unbackable favourites.

When someone pulls out the upset card, clearly they’re getting too emotional about things themselves. I have no problems with you having an opinion but I’ll call it out the undertones when I see them.

You’re looking forward to Collingwood ‘shitting the bed’ and if they don’t win the flag, you’ll be laughing about it and calling it a failure. Let’s not kid ourselves.

You reckon Collingwood are unbackable favourites against the Dees? You should be putting your house on the Pies to win then.

Well yeah. That’s why I said 1990. Eagles and hawks currently the most successful clubs.
1. Hawthorn - 5
2. Geelong - 4
3. West Coast - 4
4. Brisbane - 3
5. Richmond - 3

After that it's a ****fight and someone else can figure it out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back