Autopsy The Good (lol!) The Bad and the Beveridge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love to hear from Dougie on Inside the Kennel this week !!

Maybe silenced and off the air ways permanently.
It's a shame he played the clown on The Footy Show as he actually has a good football brain. It belies his media reputation.

It's a shame he played the clown on The Footy Show as he actually has a good football brain. It belies his media reputation.
Yes, so true and testament to this is John Newman who my wife and our sons met and he was sorry that Dougy's tv career panned out this way.

Fleas not a small forward. He’s a medium, Bailey Fritch/Jamie Elliott type marking fwd who happens to be ok at ground level.

How is it 5 years in to his career and some supporters still don’t know what type of footballer he is??

I look at our midfield that refuses to lead at the ball carrier, then I look at the forward line and see a bloke who leads at the ball carrier 20 times a match, and I think, hmmmmmm - where is the area of greater need?

AFLCA Votes for Sunday.

9 Oliver (M)
7 May (M)
7 Gawn (M)
5 Petracca (M)
1 Bramble (WB)
1 Billings (M)

Not taking anything away from Bramble, who seems to be grasping the opportunity with both hands - and credit to him.

But our senior players should be mortified that they played in such a fashion that he’s getting coaches votes ahead of them (even if it is likely Bevo giving him the vote).

Not taking anything away from Bramble, who seems to be grasping the opportunity with both hands - and credit to him.

But our senior players should be mortified that they played in such a fashion that he’s getting coaches votes ahead of them (even if it is likely Bevo giving him the vote).
They should be wrapping their arms around Bramble. His debut performance sends a great message of his intent and determination. Let's just hope it's not an illusory flash in the pan.

What they should be mortified about is Oliver, Petracca, Gawn and Billings getting votes ahead of them. Surely their mission was to keep those first three under control? They comprehensively failed in that mission.

AFLCA Votes for Sunday.

9 Oliver (M)
7 May (M)
7 Gawn (M)
5 Petracca (M)
1 Bramble (WB)
1 Billings (M)
Throw a blanket over those top 4 each and every time we play Melbourne. Granted they're probably the best 4 players on the Dees list, but none of them ever have down games against us.

Not Good I get the feeling Bevo won’t see the year out depending on the results on the field
Wouldn't be great if the season is already cooked by that stage because last time I checked cellar dwelling and rebuilds don't:
  • Win AA rucks premierships
  • Sell Monster Energy drinks
  • Put young star forwards on the biggest stages

Hands up if you are old enough to remember Rocket Eade taking over from Rohde in 2005?
If you are then you would remember the drastic game style change that occurred. I cannot remember a more noticeable change in the way a team played over the last 30 years.
Rocket was such a sharp football brain that he analysed our list and saw it was very fast and very skilful so he unleashed the shackles and told them to play on and handball at all costs. We got done by a dodgy umpiring decision to just miss finals but that year was exhilarating - I have never enjoyed a season more because we were playing to our strengths and as supporters we could see what they were trying to do.
Right now I am longing for that feeling watching the Dogs... we didn't win every game and actually missed finals but it was fantastic and a sign of things to come... ie. 3 prelims in a row...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hands up if you are old enough to remember Rocket Eade taking over from Rohde in 2005?
If you are then you would remember the drastic game style change that occurred. I cannot remember a more noticeable change in the way a team played over the last 30 years.
Rocket was such a sharp football brain that he analysed our list and saw it was very fast and very skilful so he unleashed the shackles and told them to play on and handball at all costs. We got done by a dodgy umpiring decision to just miss finals but that year was exhilarating - I have never enjoyed a season more because we were playing to our strengths and as supporters we could see what they were trying to do.
Right now I am longing for that feeling watching the Dogs... we didn't win every game and actually missed finals but it was fantastic and a sign of things to come... ie. 3 prelims in a row...
1710844033914.jpeg

I was there. 2005 and 2015 are the years I really fell back in love with watching the Dogs. Could it happen again in 2025?

Rocket was such a sharp football brain that he analysed our list and …
This is clearly what we lack. Bevo might have the highest EQ in Australia but he seems pretty average for footy IQ.

We’ve travelled as far as we can on EQ. Time we switched to a different fuel.

Further to this I'd like to share a memory I have of walking into a 2005 game late and the opposition (cannot remember who) had kicked a behind... An extremely young Adam Cooney was taking the kick in and the fullback standing the mark was absolutely shitting himself because he knew Cooney was going to play on, Gilbee was in the back pocket and Cooney kicked to himself and exploded from the square running straight at the guy on the mark dished off the handball to Gilbee and he trotted up field bouncing the ball 6 times with the oppo trying to coral him... he hits a laser beam kick onto the chest of a leading forward and we kick the goal... the rest of the game was more of the same... no one could stop us...
Nothing beats 'play on' footy executed by skilful players, absolutely nothing...
2005 R5 vs. Adelaide. Grant's 300th. 28,000 people go to the game (it remains our second-biggest crowd against an non Sydney/Brisbane interstate opponent, or in the 2017 season immediately after the flag). So one of the more passionate, one-sided Bulldogs crowd. Darcy turns back the clock and kicks six despite spending half the game in the ruck, dominating in a way that Bulldogs fans saw in the 2001-2 period when he was one of the game's best. We get the win, but Darcy tears his ACL the following week at that cursed stadium down in Geelong.

Could you just imagine what Rocket Eade could achieve with this list

tfw GIF

Billings only 2 decent games have been against us - 9 years apart
Three actually. 10 coaches votes in the R2 2020 Covid return/Ryan Gardner clanger game.

Throw a blanket over those top 4 each and every time we play Melbourne. Granted they're probably the best 4 players on the Dees list, but none of them ever have down games against us.

We know it yet nothing is done about it year in year out.

Agree the most frustrating thing about us now is knowing what another coach could do with Bont, JUH, Weightman, Naughton, English, Darcy, Treloar etc.

We should be a V8 engine purring along instead we're a rusted out, coughing and spluttering, misfiring one unable to properly fire a shot.

Brings a tear to the eye.

This is fair but will probably be unpopular. I think for many it’s not about this week so much as it’s about the underwhelming last two seasons. Every bad loss is salt in the wound.

The thing is that Bevo, Nicks, Longmuir, Lyon, Simpson and Mitchell will all come under fire if they don’t make the eight this year but plainly not all will. Geelong want to return to finals too even if Scott doesn’t make it. They will all have been trying things.

We’ve made big changes to both on field and off field personnel. Round one shows little to no improvement.

The first few rounds usually throw up odd results that don’t match the rest of the season. Melbourne at the MCG is usually a tough fixture. It’ll take a while for us to figure out whether we’ve gone anywhere.
I think you are being too optimistic here Anja. There are serious problems with the coaching and the strategy of the game. I would like someone to start a new thread called "The New Coach" to start analysing who will replace Bevo by at least mid-season. I truly think that the way things are, that this is one of those Peter Rhode moments repeating again. Thanks for the Premiership Bevo, but I think it is time to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back