Autopsy The good, the bad and the Blakey. All in against the bloods

Remove this Banner Ad

There were quite a few soft efforts besides that turnover.

Imo on the balance of it we get more than we give with him out there.

Clearly had deficiencies but they are different to most of the others that are out there.

There were quite a few soft efforts besides that turnover.
There were two turnovers, and one other clanger. he kicked at 80% which is high range. Had an alright game.

He's never going to be a zurharr type, but for the most part he is going when he needs to.

Imo he gets the preseason and most of next year to settle there.

Made a bad blue in the Buddy turn over however significantly better option than any other kicking the ball out.

Hall missed multiple short kicks today, Luke is ok only for long down the line.

Sleevo clearly or deftest most attacking.
Exactly. He brings something we need, and things happen with the ball in his hands. (mostly good things xD)

Being at the game, every single contest we fall over and never keep our feet. We need more strength and weight training. Bloody mark the ball ffs!

Our captain needs to pass the banner over
Yeah there's work to do, but it is a young team. Watch how LDU now has folk hanging off him as he finds the release handball, when he used to be taken down and give away holding frees.

Didn't learn anything at all today, good or bad.

Wasted an afternoon.

I learnt that yelling stuff at Blakey is fun and that after I did yell stuff Blakey miss kicked it multiple times.

I enjoyed it.

F*** you Lizard. And you dad was better.

The gap between the top six and bottom six in this side is too great. Even saying that though, if there were McKay and another decent KPD plus a second KPF and a small goal sneak then the lesser blokes play on different opponents and maybe a few more break even.

The missing links are causing our third best defender to be playing as number one. Flankers at CHB and CHF.

All due respect to Patch but he could never achieve much more than he has with this side. The job of the coaches now is to make sure that there aren’t any of these blokes dropping their heads too much.

Comben and Cunnington, and maybe TT can improve the side but only Chom will significantly alter the structure. Some more time in the weights room and a bit more kicking practice will do him some real good.

The drafting and trading or free agent pick ups at season’s end will be critical.

If North can nail that process and land a proven coach then we’ll be OK.

Glad we didn't convert those last couple in junk time. Blow me if we're gonna make that game look half competitive. I prefer not papering over the cracks
they dont sell rolls of paper that wide :)

seriously i wasnt terribly upset with the game, the void of talent between the 2 teams at present is massive. still maintain we are another 18 months minimum from being contenders, if we can address our shortcomings in that time i reckon there will be a pretty decent core to compliment. Goldy really bleeds blue and white and is by far our most influential senior leader. kudos for him sticking round because we would be a hell of a lot worse without him,

the knocks on the hornet are pretty petty, heres a bloke thats learning how to control his emotion atm , massive competative beast not used to being part of such a helpless outfit. which points my attention to paul curtis, gee he has a great head on his shoulders for a first year player.

great effort from souva who i though had been trying to mink free kicks a bit, today seemed to just keep going about it and the decisions went his way.

LDU might not have had the numbers of some of his other games but sheesh what a thoroughbred.

could have been a 100pt loss but they just kept cracking in, building mental strength from adversity. but the ball is squarely in the recruiters court now more than a long time, if we cant firm up fwd line and defence the growing midfield beast will be to no avail when it hits its prime.

Had a crack. The reality is that we’re playing in the AFL, and I’m afraid you can’t expect to win games of football (or even compete tbh) without any defensive system - and to be clear, one on one is not a system. It really is a sad indictment on the coaching panel that they’ve had two seasons to implement one, which should be your #1 priority, yet there isn’t one. It will turn quickly once that’s implemented.

Positives for today:

- I expect LDU to be widely regarded as being in the top ten players in the AFL by this time next year. What an absolute star. Couple of errors today, but he’s a needle mover.

- Hats off to Curtis Taylor. Nice game today, and had a really good season. I had semi-wrote him off as being someone who is stuck in mediocrity because of his physique mainly, but he works himself into the ground and does a lot of nice things.

- Corr’s game was fantastic. Overall he beat Franklin, and it was just the sheer weight of opportunity that gave him the goals he kicked.

Imo on the balance of it we get more than we give with him out there.

Clearly had deficiencies but they are different to most of the others that are out there.
With hall added in, the poor defensive efforts get magnified. For the moment, we can’t have both in the backline. Stevo’s weak efforts were just more noticeable today. I would honestly settle for a shift of hall or hall out instead. It’s either/or.

With hall added in, the poor defensive efforts get magnified. For the moment, we can’t have both in the backline. Stevo’s weak efforts were just more noticeable today.

If I have to choose, I choose the bloke who still has unrealised potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The gap between the top six and bottom six in this side is too great. Even saying that though, if there were McKay and another decent KPD plus a second KPF and a small goal sneak then the lesser blokes play on different opponents and maybe a few more break even.

The missing links are causing our third best defender to be playing as number one. Flankers at CHB and CHF.

All due respect to Patch but he could never achieve much more than he has with this side. The job of the coaches now is to make sure that there aren’t any of these blokes dropping their heads too much.

Comben and Cunnington, and maybe TT can improve the side but only Chom will significantly alter the structure. Some more time in the weights room and a bit more kicking practice will do him some real good.

The drafting and trading or free agent pick ups at season’s end will be critical.

If North can nail that process and land a proven coach then we’ll be OK.
i actually reckon te 666 and stand on mark rules have had a big effect in lower placed teams not being able to scramble better results, lesser talented sides are being cut to threads with less ability to clog backlines and slow up general field play.

in a nutshell more than ever its not a good time to be a celler dweller.

Might seem petty, but for me, it's games like this that really hammer home the frustration with how we've handled pretty much everything over the last six years or so. Most of the squad played okay, or better than okay, today - clearly there's a decent amount of talent here, and for most the required level of effort was present also, but courtesy of season upon season of headless stumbling, we're completely unable to stitch that together into anything more than yet another comfortable loss, the system and cohesion simply isn't there. So whilst better, more stable teams develop young players quicker through having established structures they can ease into, we're stuck working for little reward, writing off another season of our players' careers as we collectively develop at a crawl...

In short, a number of individual positives - Larkey, LDU (first half), Corr, Anderson, Goldstein - but (unsurprisingly in the circumstances) little to speak of in terms of forward momentum as a team going into next year. Poor disposal hurt us a lot today, and whilst it's not quite as egregious as it has been, our ability to stifle opponents' transition remains a serious limitation on our ability to be competitive. Mercifully, only two more games remaining in this season - desperately hoping we have reason to believe the upcoming reset will give us some shape and a defined route out of the mire the last few efforts have sunk us into.

We did ok, the effort was there but we don't have the structure to trouble a lot of teams and we lack the speed to make or close down space. Add the poor decision-making and inability to run out the game and this is a standard result.

Lets hope the fitness regime that apparently was put in place last year started making dividends another year on.

A win against the Suns with Cunners back in the side as well as Nick finishing off the year with at least 45 Goals (My prediction) would be a decent to finish to an otherwise forgettable season.

We had the four lowest players with TOG. JHF 71%, Jed 70%, CCJ 63% and Powell 63%. We can debate why but that's got to put extra pressure on the other mids.

I liked that the boys didn't go into their shells when the goals piled on and the loss was imminent, the effort was there all day and I don't think I saw that once for 4 quarters under Noble, so whatever Patch is saying its working.

However, we are still so so so far and away the worst developed and conditioned & drilled side in the comp by a Flemington straight. We have good moments, good passages of play and that right there is an indicator of what we can become if we had the right personnel and coach and a little bit of position tweaking with some correct trades. So if I'm Clarko i'd be looking at that and thinking 'yeah there's something there to work with' -- but that doesn't take away from the fact that from the VFL right up to the AFL we are bereft of depth, proper football smarts and strategy, along with everything else behind the scenes. We need someone to come in and address all of this, whoever that is, their work is cut out for them and would swallow most coaches whole.

Curtis Taylor is underrated.
LDU is really hitting his stride as a player.
Larkey was superb today and really switched on, lot of second efforts.
Paul Curtis should play every week with how well he's growing as a player.
Missed McKay's defence dearly.
Really loved Corrs game today, he was switched on and gave it a real crack.
Goldy just so above any ruckman with his around the ground abilities.

There was positives in this game, wasn't the usual flat boring dull unexcited low energy affair with the same shocking skills.

The Larkey/Comben combo could be great - if it ever sees the light of day.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We did ok, the effort was there but we don't have the structure to trouble a lot of teams and we lack the speed to make or close down space. Add the poor decision-making and inability to run out the game and this is a standard result.

Lets hope the fitness regime that apparently was put in place last year started making dividends another year on.
its not just lack of structure, we are poorly drilled, always flying against one another, swans today showed how well they are drilled, players know when to fly, which ones stay down, ball gets over the back they almost always scored as we had 2 players fling for the same ball. also players like heeney, mills and now warner, its almost like they have found a way to clone kennedy, tall running * rover types a plenty.

Thought Corr was fantastic on Buddy, who padded his stat's with a couple of cheap ones. Beat him in pretty well every one on one contest.
Souva will be an absolute weapon in a good side. Love that he goes on and kicks bags, once he gets on top. Rampe will be a total liability for the swans in September, got smashed and could only hold and scrag.
LDU doing LDU things. Special footballer when he has the pill.
Curtis Taylor just digs in and runs his ass off every week. Really developing as a footballer, get him signed asap.
Sadly Jack is totally done as an AFL footballer, needs to consider whether he goes on next year. Sad because he's been an absolute warrior.

So how do we get better we’ll have pick one hopefully a pp then pick 50 something I think with our track record of drafting we’re in trouble.

Drop Ziebell and play someone else. Comben preferably or Ford.

TT, Cunners, McKay to come in.

I don't think it is all bad...the right coach, another draft pick, some FA down the track and we will come good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back