The 'nice guy/good bloke' culture at the club needs to change

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but if someone’s not playing well at Collingwood they get dropped.

We leave blokes out of form in our defence for three years and sometimes even make them captain because they’re good blokes.

Our youngsters are frustrated and you can see it.
Massive difference if you have blokes kicking the door down, their got ginny playing magoos and we elevate a raw msd kid from the waffle. Mind you nick daicos will be harder to cover.

This has been a huge issue for years.

Why haven’t we addressed this. Clarko should have come in and said whatever we have done for the past 5-10 years, say goodbye. It’s time for some brutal training.
Likely and more sensibly imo is looking at the assistants as the playing list needs wholesale change that will take years. For mine a big test will be if he has the stones to tap brady and brown on the shoulder at seasons end.

Okay, I take back the apology about offending seeing as you just doubled down. It is idiotic to think that Donald McDonald is pulling strings within the football department. It's laughable. The very suggestion is risible.

Insult me all you like. We have form and history there and the actions of the selectors support my view.

If we go anywhere near Collard this is out the window!!!

Heaps of talent but he screams mouthy arrogant little ship to me.

For me, the culture stuff sorts itself out when we have a realistic approach to where we are at. We hadn't taken things as serious as we needed to. Before Clarko came, we were all over the joint and didn't have a clear path. How do you realistically win a flag from that? It just wasn't happening. We were unmatched in our shitness.

I'm not sure if it was just me, but 2023 showed there has been a noticeable shift in mindset from the top. It's not just hopes and dreams. The sacking of Noble and the appointment of Clarko was essentially what exposed the horrendous neglect of the footy department. We can't sit here and blame the players. It starts from the board level and it had to be swallowed with the sharpest of fish bones by members and supporters that had to put up with it. Clarkson himself needed some serious convincing. What got him to sign was the best thing this club could ever do other than win a premiership, be united as one in their collective quest for premiership success.

I think back to the Clarko speech at the 2022 Syd Barker and his emphasis on how important it was for the club to be on the same page from board level to staff, players etc. It was clear that Hawthorn getting rid of him early was the catalyst for bringing that point across. If a club isn't in unity, there's no hope. Hawthorn did the bloke dirty and shouldn't make excuses for doing so. Four flags and they just ****ed him off then ruined his life for almost an entire year.

So again, it's not about the players or coaches but the vision of our footy club. Are we just here to survive? Or are we here to work our arses off and win flags?

The message should be clear for all of us and it wasn't until there had to be a shift in mindset. The list management leaving, Geoff Walsh review, Noble sacking, Clarko and new footy department.

Everything needs to align and for it to align, there needs to be unity.

No more hopes and dreams, just make it ******* happen Euge. Make it happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had a s**t bloke that we recently drafted with the no.1 pick in the draft.

What we need is professional attitude minded players who are desperate to win, I look at Wardlaw and Sheezel who seem to embody that but would also comfortably say they are nice guy / good blokes.

Real big difference between recruiting kids who have confidence and a level of swagger, versus recruiting kids who have a demonstrable history of aggressive and inappropriate behavior towards others.
Mitch Edwards falls more in the former

Arie the latter

But yes I think the premise of the thread or my take is more confident blokes with swagger than quiet nice guy introvert types assuming talent level is comparable

Real big difference between recruiting kids who have confidence and a level of swagger, versus recruiting kids who have a demonstrable history of aggressive and inappropriate behavior towards others.
You only need to look at last years draftees to see that this is not a standard that is adhered to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back