The 'nice guy/good bloke' culture at the club needs to change

Remove this Banner Ad

We've had a culture of not working hard enough on our running in preseason for years. Some guys who could run retired or left and we've left with a list that has too many senior players who aren't fit enough. Ziebell, Cunnington, Thomas, McDonald, Zurhaar, Mackay, Greenwood are all sub-standard runners. LDU got off this list but is at risk of going back on it. It's why we get blown away in the middle of quarters week in week out.

Players who have left our club have commented on how much harder their new clubs run in preseason. Shiels mentioned 'training standards' before checking himself in a preseason interview.

Then you add in the young guys who are still building their tanks so you make allowances but they"re seeing very poor examples in preseason running from those senior players.

The problem is that the guys on our list who can actually run at AFL standard are either fringe or not good enough (Taylor, Turner, Howe, Lazzaro, Dawson) or in the twilight (Goldstein and Shiels).

You can crack in all you like - definitely want courageous, competitive players, but if your senior and best players can't run and won't work at in preseason, you will get blown away in transition week in week out. You literally cannot win games of footy.

This has been a huge issue for years.

Why haven’t we addressed this. Clarko should have come in and said whatever we have done for the past 5-10 years, say goodbye. It’s time for some brutal training.

All this talk about the need to get in more experienced players can be flushed down the toilet. Load up on more kids I say so they can start their own culture & standards just like the early 90s. We need to rid ourselves of this loser mentality

This has been a huge issue for years.

Why haven’t we addressed this. Clarko should have come in and said whatever we have done for the past 5-10 years, say goodbye. It’s time for some brutal training.
It's a good question. Clarko wasn't there for a lot of the preseason and was probably just trying to build relationships when he did come in. He had all that other conflict going on and probably didn't want that at the club at the start of his tenure.

You'd hope though, that he and Viney will take the kid gloves off now. At exit interviews say, no more 3km time trials. Be prepared for time trials 4 x 4 km or 8 x 2km. And you will be judged on your application and improvement. You will be delisted or traded if you don't apply yourself. Basically what happens at the AIS - you don't knuckle down, you"re out. That includes everyone.

It's a good question. Clarko wasn't there for a lot of the preseason and was probably just trying to build relationships when he did come in. He had all that other conflict going on and probably didn't want that at the club at the start of his tenure.

You'd hope though, that he and Viney will take the kid gloves off now. At exit interviews say, no more 3km time trials. Be prepared for time trials 4 x 4 km or 8 x 2km. And you will be judged on your application and improvement. You will be delisted or traded if you don't apply yourself. Basically what happens at the AIS - you don't knuckle down, you"re out. That includes everyone.

Time to take the gloves OFF. Time for the real ones that actually want it. No more ******* passengers

I dont want to give Caro cred but she sort of alludes to what went down. Eugene tried to push back on Donald initially but JB took Donald's side and the rest is history.
What gets missed is that we had doubts leading up to the draft about taking McDonald at pick 8 when we came to learn of West Coast's bid at 6. And we cooled off. So Luke's mum went dippy at the club saying his dad works there, he loves the club, hes playing at Weribee, etc and we just bitched it and took him.

Just read this in the other thread but want to repeat it here as it pertains to my original OP comment on Donald McDonad and the hesitancy of the club in stepping on certain toes.

My suspicions were correct and even though it's Caro I tend to believe it given the ongoing unwillingness of selectors to drop Luke.

I don't care how much of a clubman Donald was, and he may be loved in the club, but this kind of stuff is killing us. It's one thing to back your friends, it's another to actively use your friendship as leverage to the detriment of the club and it's supporters.

We have enough problems we don't need to add nepotism to the list too.

Honestly, this just makes me furious and completely demotivated that any change will happen. I sure hope Clarko sees this and we get the ruthless version this off season. Both McDonalds need to be gone from the club ASAP, and that's just the start.

This has aged well. What a fraud.

4 games since and Stephenson has 1 goal, 2 goal assists, 22 effective disposals and 9 turnovers. That's his total output in the last month, not averages.

So much talent....at podcasting.
Slevo has had a poor mouth or 2 but largely had a good to great first half of the year. More than can be said for the mediocre McDonald. If it were up to you we'd have 22 cloned L Macs fielded each and every week.

Slevo has had a poor mouth or 2 but largely had a good to great first half of the year. More than can be said for the mediocre McDonald. If it were up to you we'd have 22 cloned L Macs fielded each and every week.
Not at all. My argument with Lmac is we've got no one else to replace him. He plays his role better than anyone else can and a lot of the good stuff he does goes unnoticed. And then he gets blamed for stuff that he just wasn't responsible for, the latest being idiots saying he played on Darling for the entire game. It's just plain wrong.

Meanwhile Stevo has been squibbing it from day 1. Day 1. And that can not be argued against. He is the softest player to every play for North.

Is anyone else concerned about it. I see these things said about a lot of our players and even some supporters and it really worries me that it seems to be the main qualifier for some over merit and ability.

The players were given the power to choose the captains and it has become quite a disastrous result since this is the person they feel represents them and/or is to lead them and set standards. Yes, I am talking about Luke Mcdonald but the general culture too. I have seen similar glowing stuff said about Hall, McKay etc. Whenever I have seen them talk about Luke it's always how much of a great guy he is, bleeds for the club etc. Does this happen at other clubs? I'm a bit out of the loop on how many clubs allow the players this much power with captains choice. On top of this, we have the added layer of those chosen players fathers having been or still working at the club, even in recruiting, making the tough choices even tougher, again due to mateship and family. Donald McDonald no doubt has strong connections to the club and I think it's naive to believe that it wouldn't be a factor in Luke not being dropped for his terrible form.

Nepotism is of course common in every work place, I get it, it's human nature, but it's often to the detriment of results.

I'm not saying we need to become a club of pricks or anything, but there is a balance. Pagan dropped his son Ryan after 3 games if I recall, never to play again.

I just worry we have become a mates club who market ourselves as nice guys, unable to make necessary painful decisions that might lead to success. I really hope nasty Clarko shows up soon.
The late John Kennedy (not the one who had his head blown off) would be rubbing his hands together to get his hands around this clubs throat right now. I'm not sure I agree with everything, but yeah, we're a bit too placid, and forgiving.

We need to bring in 10 players who can run. Then we need to tell the list that we are running all game next year and if you don't come into preseason in shape for that playstyle then you won't be getting a game until you are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just read this in the other thread but want to repeat it here as it pertains to my original OP comment on Donald McDonad and the hesitancy of the club in stepping on certain toes.

My suspicions were correct and even though it's Caro I tend to believe it given the ongoing unwillingness of selectors to drop Luke.

I don't care how much of a clubman Donald was, and he may be loved in the club, but this kind of stuff is killing us. It's one thing to back your friends, it's another to actively use your friendship as leverage to the detriment of the club and it's supporters.

Honestly, this just makes me furious and completely demotivated that any change will happen. I sure hope Clarko sees this and we get the ruthless version this off season. Both McDonalds need to be gone from the club ASAP, and that's just the start.

I'm sorry to offend but anyone who thinks Donald still has any influence over the football department is a fool.

I'm sorry to offend but anyone who thinks Donald still has any influence over the football department is a fool.

Why is it outside the realms of possibility? It happened then, it can't be hard to imagine he still uses his friendship to keep his son in such a significant place in the team? Connections, connections, connections.

Absolute correct in what your saying but the club won’t get rid of the McDonalds just like they won’t get rid of Rawlings

Remember when Geelong lost to us in 2007, their players had a meeting and really challenged each other on what they wanted to stand and be known for as a team, as a club. They made a concious decision to change their culture, and as we know the rest is history. I know we aren't at that stage of development, but I'm struggling to see such a scenario play out with our current leaders.
Our players rather drink lattes and sit back and play stupid video games

Remember when Geelong lost to us in 2007, their players had a meeting and really challenged each other on what they wanted to stand and be known for as a team, as a club. They made a concious decision to change their culture, and as we know the rest is history. I know we aren't at that stage of development, but I'm struggling to see such a scenario play out with our current leaders.

Half the team would sook and cry.

We need some hard truths spoken

Carlton did something similar during this year and have won every game since

I'll never forget one bozo on here years ago being rapt with our good guy/quality person culture because he could "breathe easy on Mad Mondays". Only problem is, our Mad Mondays are now in August, not September.

A successful team needs a mix of characters, ego's, personalities etc. We seem to have a team choc-a-block of introverts.

The club culture needs a major shake-up so that mediocrity in training and playing standards is no longer accepted.

If this group has a Mad Monday or they all fly off to Bali and get smashed for a few weeks or Vegas or whatever then nothing has clicked. What the f*** is there to celebrate?
The campaigners who get delisted can do whatever the hell they want but if you have a contract for 2024 then switch the f*** on.

The playing group can honestly stick the Mad Monday and the end of season footy trip. They earned nothing.

Oh but from November to August these guys are full time athletes so they deserve to unwind.

Jayden Stephenson and Curtis Taylor not only went to Bali but also did the Vegas double. As you can they’re both in ripper form and have had great years.
Buts it fine lads. In 12 months time you can both have as many holidays as you like. Add in Mexico and Ibiza to the itinerary.

Really sick of the lack of dedication of this playing group. There is ZERO ambition.

Why is it outside the realms of possibility? It happened then, it can't be hard to imagine he still uses his friendship to keep his son in such a significant place in the team? Connections, connections, connections.
Okay, I take back the apology about offending seeing as you just doubled down. It is idiotic to think that Donald McDonald is pulling strings within the football department. It's laughable. The very suggestion is risible.

If this group has a Mad Monday or they all fly off to Bali and get smashed for a few weeks or Vegas or whatever then nothing has clicked. What the f*** is there to celebrate?
The campaigners who get delisted can do whatever the hell they want but if you have a contract for 2024 then switch the f*** on.

The playing group can honestly stick the Mad Monday and the end of season footy trip. They earned nothing.

Oh but from November to August these guys are full time athletes so they deserve to unwind.

Jayden Stephenson and Curtis Taylor not only went to Bali but also did the Vegas double. As you can they’re both in ripper form and have had great years.
Buts it fine lads. In 12 months time you can both have as many holidays as you like. Add in Mexico and Ibiza to the itinerary.

Really sick of the lack of dedication of this playing group. There is ZERO ambition
These 2 plus TT, Zurhaar plus a few more could do worse than sit down for 30 minutes & pick Petracca's brain about what changed for him after his 3rd year in the system. Trac freely admits he was enjoying all the perks that come along with being an AFL footballer but only really putting in 70% of his capacity. After his self admittance of this he cracked in and now gives 100% on & off the field in all aspects of his life. He understands there is a finite life of a footballer and wants to get the best out of himself while he has the chance.

These 2 plus TT, Zurhaar plus a few more could do worse than sit down for 30 minutes & pick Petracca's brain about what changed for him after his 3rd year in the system. Trac freely admits he was enjoying all the perks that come along with being an AFL footballer but only really putting in 70% of his capacity. After his self admittance of this he cracked in and now gives 100% on & off the field in all aspects of his life. He understands there is a finite life of a footballer and wants to get the best out of himself while he has the chance.
It’s as simple as that.
For 10 years of your adult life you can set up the next 30.
But if you f*** around then you’re going to be chasing your tail fairly soon.

I implore these guys to think big picture and to demand more from themselves and their teammates.
It is a full time job. It is demanding. But how could it not be.
Sometimes I feel like our players forget that this is a competition and that there are 700 other players in the same position ready to do anything to keep their careers going and achieve the same success.

I doubt they know or care.

This industry is cut throat and yet here we are absolutely nowhere near it. It’s exhausting and frustrating as hell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back