Opinion The Ruck. We need to talk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Goldy still miles in front of X - I know that much. Probs also in front of CCJ.

But he's not the future, so quite the conundrum. I don't like Comben rucking much (fragility) so I'd lean Goldy Ruck, Comben pinch hit and Xerri/CCJ can rotate in pending form when Goldy needs a rest. For 2024.

I think wins right now are almost as important as "games in the kids".

Goldy still miles in front of X - I know that much. Probs also in front of CCJ.

But he's not the future, so quite the conundrum. I don't like Comben rucking much (fragility) so I'd lean Goldy Ruck, Comben pinch hit and Xerri/CCJ can rotate in pending form when Goldy needs a rest. For 2024.

I think wins right now are almost as important as "games in the kids".
I mostly agree with this. CCJ has not shown enough to be a walk up, Xerri - whilst solid yesterdary - can't carry ruck on his own, especially not with CCJ as the backup.

The problem is that I think Goldy is also starting to struggle to get up week in week out and have impact. If there was a good AFL ready ruck available under 26 years old I'd happily take them.

Obviously Grundy would be the perfect option and unless we can get him a chain of Zambreros franchises then he ain’t coming to a side so far down the ladder as us.

Briggs from GWS killed us a few weeks ago, never heard of him before that game but he moves well for a big bloke. Just checked his stats and he’s averaging 14 disposals, 26 h/o, 5 tackles and 6 clearances a game 😳

Ahh yes just read he’s from Western Sydney so very doubtful he would leave home.

Next..

Obviously Grundy would be the perfect option and unless we can get him a chain of Zambreros franchises then he ain’t coming to a side so far down the ladder as us.

Briggs from GWS killed us a few weeks ago, never heard of him before that game but he moves well for a big bloke. Just checked his stats and he’s averaging 14 disposals, 26 h/o, 5 tackles and 6 clearances a game 😳

Ahh yes just read he’s from Western Sydney so very doubtful he would leave home.

Next..
Sean Darcy?

Or one of the two ruckmen behind Briggs (Preuss or Flynn)?

Xerri will never be a 1st ruck at AFL level for anyone other than a side desperate for one.

He just doesn't have it.

He's still developing, but he's not a great mark for a ruckman, he doesn't have particularly good ruck craft despite OK hitout numbers, he's lumbering and more than a bit unco.

Throw whatever we can at Briggs.

I'd be asking the question of Grundy's management also.

Xerri rely's on aggression and size at VFL level. The problem is, he's can't bully rucks at AFL level, because doesn't have a physical advantage, he's mostly at a physical disadvantage.

get him a chain of Zambreros franchises
Can someone please open a Zambrero in the inner-west? Yarraville or Newport or Williamstown. I'm not greedy.

Next..

GWS seem to have a stockpile of sneaky good rucks. Briggs this year is doing what Flynn did a few years ago.

It would have to be a great sell . Obviously we're promising first ruck but we also need to really sell that we are going to be winning games and be enjoyable to play for.

Clarkson helps with this sort of sales pitch.

I also think Grundy would fit in extremely well with our talented midfield.

It's not a desperately difficult sales pitch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We arent trading in a ruck after developing X for 5 years.

Goldy is doing everything right this year. Id give him another 12 months now, and play the two together in as many games as possible. Goldy finishes up at end of 2024, and X becomes the main man.

Comben is a better prospect than CCJ for mine. He starts at CHF round 1 next year. CCJ in the twos.

If CCJ can't force his way in for 15 games next year, then he wont be at the club in 2025.

Xerri will never be a 1st ruck at AFL level for anyone other than a side desperate for one.

He just doesn't have it.

He's still developing, but he's not a great mark for a ruckman, he doesn't have particularly good ruck craft despite OK hitout numbers, he's lumbering and more than a bit unco.

Throw whatever we can at Briggs.

I'd be asking the question of Grundy's management also.

Xerri rely's on aggression and size at VFL level. The problem is, he's can't bully rucks at AFL level, because doesn't have a physical advantage, he's mostly at a physical disadvantage.

Yeah I like X and looks like he's developing but gee worlds away from the ruck service we've come accustomed to with goldy, and I think that's really plain to see when you compare our performances in the middle over the last few weeks with and without Goldy. No easy fix there, would be tempting to try doing a deal for grundy, but I really don't rate his tapwork either more of a just belt it forward type of guy rather than put it on a platter for mids.

The way to go seems to be to look at the teams with established first rucks and lure the guys out of favour or stuck behind them in the queue. Briggs is the latest love child at GWS so go after Flynn. Kieran Strachan is in the right age demographic at Adelaide but can't get a game under O'brien, and Thilthorpe is coming through so he's got to look elsewhere. For some reason Hinkley refuses to play Sam Hayes at PA. Ned Moyle can't play ahead of Witts. These are the guys who are realistically gettable.

We arent trading in a ruck after developing X for 5 years.

This is sunk-cost fallacy thinking and isn't what successful clubs do.

Xerri just ain't it. If he had a viable future as our starting ruck we would have seen it by now, but we haven't.

Ned Moyle is a future gun ruck. He would be my target. Sign Goldy up for one more year, delist Edwards and try and get a pack of chips for The Maltese Falcon.

Clarkson helps with this sort of sales pitch.

I also think Grundy would fit in extremely well with our talented midfield.

It's not a desperately difficult sales pitch.
So, should we polish up that old "It's Happening" gif or would it be just a tad too soon?

Asking for a friend of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back