Analysis We need to chat ( some of our more sensitive posters, probably shouldn't enter)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is one is in favour of the shitmen.

With Brad I always disliked the fact that we didn't have a great structure.

It was always kick it long down the boundary and force a contest.

When Shaw came along he didn't much improve things - get out there and bash em as TAO would say.

When Shaw had a mental breakdown, we were really in the sh*t in terms of having any collective player knowledge about modern game plans.

Noble came along and realized the problem but couldn't implement change and pissed everyone off.

Now the players are trying to learn again but it's like morale is so low that going through the pain of this learning process is too much or no one can bother.

Last edited:

Especially after we booted 15 out the door just 3-4yrs ago
Yes that is exactly right , so we’ve managed to find 35 players not up to standard in four or so years. That’s a record that I can’t see being beaten.
We had ample opportunity like every other club but time and time again we blew the drafts .FMD and FML 😏
Our 2021 list had to be the worst in history.
I’d have to go back and look at it. I believe ya though - go us crikey

1. McDonald
2.Hall
3.Turner
4.Taylor
5.Scott
6.CCJ
7.Howlers
No need for any of them to play again. We can lose just as well without them.

Pick 1 is looking good fyi
Trouble with this comment is this: If those players don't play again, we are at risk of winning some matches and therefore pick 1 is not looking good.

We will have ten changes before the 2024 season starts. I’m confident we can turn it around in 12 months
I was not quite as aggressive on that number of changes as your good self until the last few weeks. Until recently, my thinking was that the bottom 4 or 5 in the "best 22" are about the worst bottom 5 in the league, and with them replaced by better players, our new bottom 5 would be similar to the worst of other teams.

But I'm not seeing desire or the will to win in too many players. It's like the period in the 80s when we had a bunch of good players but no heart and soul.

When Goldie ran out to play his 300th he was super switched on. But he was about the only one. By half way through the game I'm sure he was jacked at half the team for them not turning u Cunnington was similar last night. About 70% of the team were plodding.

I reckon it's time for some size 9 dicipline.

And Viney and Monkey can join in with their respective clod-hoppers.

Our drafting history and our current list:

2006 - 1 - Goldstein
2008 - 1 - Ziebell
2009 - 1 - Cunnington

2013 - 2 - McDonald, Turner
2015 - 1 - McKay
2016 - 3 - Simpkin, Larkey, Zurhaar
2017 - 2 - Davies-Uniacke, Xerri
2018 - 4 - Thomas, Scott, Taylor, Hall
2019 - 4 - Comben, Mahony, Perez, Bonar
2020 - 9 - Phillips, Powell, Lazzaro, Spicer, Ford, Edwards, Corr, Stephenson, Young
2021 - 7 - Goater, Curtis, Bergman, Archer, Dawson, Greenwood, Coleman-Jones
2022 - 10 - Sheezel, Wardlaw, George, Harvey, Drury, Free, Howe, Shiels, Logue, Tucker

Original Drafts

2008 - Shiels
2012 - Corr, Hall
2014 - Howe
2015 - Greenwood, Tucker
2016 - Logue
2017 - Bonar, Stephenson, Coleman-Jones
2018 - Young

1683074989425.png
1683075324188.png
1683075336893.png
1683075673231.png

2006 - 1 - Goldstein
2008 - 1 - Ziebell
2009 - 1 - Cunnington

2015 - 1 - McKay
2020 - 9 - Phillips, Powell, Lazzaro, Spicer, Ford, Edwards, Corr, Stephenson, Young
2022 - 10 - Sheezel, Wardlaw, George, Harvey, Drury, Free, Howe, Shiels, Logue, Tucker

Original Drafts

2008 - Shiels
2012 - Corr, Hall
2014 - Howe
2015 - Greenwood, Tucker
2016 - Logue
2018 - Young

View attachment 1676790
View attachment 1676791
View attachment 1676792
View attachment 1676794
By the end of 2024 will anyone drafted before Simpkin even be at the club or getting games? McKay could leave and I know McDonald has a deal until 2026 but fukc if I know how we find a spot for him in the side until then.

So many busts. 2017 is LDU only.
2018 arguable they could all be gone by 2024.
2019 is even worse ffs with Charlie’s injury history

The rest are too soon to call.

Fukc this club is broken man. I’d love to celebrate the wins but half a dozen or so gets us nowhere

2006 - 1 - Goldstein
2008 - 1 - Ziebell
2009 - 1 - Cunnington

2015 - 1 - McKay

Original Drafts

2008 - Shiels
2012 - Corr, Hall
2014 - Howe
2015 - Greenwood, Tucker
2016 - Logue
2018 - Young

View attachment 1676790
View attachment 1676791
View attachment 1676792
View attachment 1676794

Still think EVW could have made it

By the end of 2024 will anyone drafted before Simpkin even be at the club or getting games? McKay could leave and I know McDonald has a deal until 2026 but fukc if I know how we find a spot for him in the side until then.

So many busts. 2017 is LDU only.
2018 arguable they could all be gone by 2024.
2019 is even worse ffs with Charlie’s injury history

The rest are too soon to call.

Fukc this club is broken man. I’d love to celebrate the wins but half a dozen or so gets us nowhere

It’s why we’ve new people in a lot of roles. No doubt there’ll be more.

I'm still clinging to the rapidly diminishing likelihood of us having a 50% improvement on last year.

One win will do the trick and who can argue that an improvement of 50% is not to be sneezed at?

Why who knows if we can achieve 50% year on year, we might make the 8 by 2056.

Actually just 4 years and a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s why we’ve new people in a lot of roles. No doubt there’ll be more.
Based upon our drafting history and current list, talented 18yo come into our system show a bit and then never come on.
There are 5 players under 30 that have established themselves as good afl footballers. 5.

That’s why change was needed

I'm still clinging to the rapidly diminishing likelihood of us having a 50% improvement on last year.

One win will do the trick and who can argue that an improvement of 50% is not to be sneezed at?

Why who knows if we can achieve 50% year on year, we might make the 8 by 2056.

Actually just 4 years and a flag.
You could also look at the reduction of losses too, like as in losing by less. A team we previously lost to by 12+ goals getting closer to.
Or averaging a better score for and against.

They had a stats up the other day with our win/loss record across the younger players.
No wonder the likes of Mckay want to leave.
He wont be the first or the last until we start doing a LOT better on field.

2006 - 1 - Goldstein
2008 - 1 - Ziebell
2009 - 1 - Cunnington

2015 - 1 - McKay

Original Drafts

2008 - Shiels
2012 - Corr, Hall
2014 - Howe
2015 - Greenwood, Tucker
2016 - Logue
2018 - Young

View attachment 1676790
View attachment 1676791
View attachment 1676792
View attachment 1676794

Keep your pencil close by could another eight requiring a line through them in around six months.

Who's keen to look into our trading record that's ordinary as well lol.

Still think EVW could have made it
This is emblematic of the problem. I really liked EVW and too reckon he could have made it as an AFL footballer.
BUT, as Clarko said from the get-go, we don't want AFL players. We want AFL players that can deliver silverware.

Is that EVW - no. But as TAO has so succinctly put, you could say that for at least 50% (and substantively more) of our current list.
Will Phoenix Spicer hold the cup aloft - fcuk no. Then what is he doing there?

It's going to take a couple more seasons and drafts yet to get us out of the s**t that Scott, Lewis, Joyce and co left us with. Only then can we start dreaming of finals tickets.

2006 - 1 - Goldstein
2008 - 1 - Ziebell
2009 - 1 - Cunnington

2015 - 1 - McKay

Original Drafts

2008 - Shiels
2012 - Corr, Hall
2014 - Howe
2015 - Greenwood, Tucker
2016 - Logue
2018 - Young

View attachment 1676790
View attachment 1676791
View attachment 1676792
View attachment 1676794

200.gif

2006 - 1 - Goldstein
2008 - 1 - Ziebell
2009 - 1 - Cunnington

2015 - 1 - McKay

Original Drafts

2008 - Shiels
2012 - Corr, Hall
2014 - Howe
2015 - Greenwood, Tucker
2016 - Logue
2018 - Young

View attachment 1676790
View attachment 1676791
View attachment 1676792
View attachment 1676794
Ooof.

I stand by my view that the GC / GWS years absolutely crippled our build. Not to say that we didn't make preventable mistakes but my take is that we spent the 2012-5 period desperately trying plug gaps in a squad that was already developed and their time running out. We need to really make hay the next couple of years and this years picks available backing onto last years are a great start. Especially if we could snag another Logue level player or two with their absolute best footy still ahead of them.

This is emblematic of the problem. I really liked EVW and too reckon he could have made it as an AFL footballer.
BUT, as Clarko said from the get-go, we don't want AFL players. We want AFL players that can deliver silverware.

Is that EVW - no. But as TAO has so succinctly put, you could say that for at least 50% (and substantively more) of our current list.
Will Phoenix Spicer hold the cup aloft - fcuk no. Then what is he doing there?

It's going to take a couple more seasons and drafts yet to get us out of the s**t that Scott, Lewis, Joyce and co left us with. Only then can we start dreaming of finals tickets.
He did his knee twice but before that he looked alright in the very brief view we got of him. It impossible to judge how good he could have been. Same with Will Walker, who did look like a good player before injury and mis-management cost him a chance.

That was just s**t luck.

But you have to expect that sort of thing with some drafting and we have had too many other misses due to s**t selections to be able to cover s**t luck for some players. For example Nielson, Hibberd, Watson, (JOsh) Williams and Wagner. Just one of those picks (not necessarily those players) still playing would make a huge difference to our side.. Clarke and Mountford - both showed something but poor development cost them a further shot at it. I never thought much of Clarke tbh but the Swans have got something useful out of him. We tried to turn him into (Sam) Gibbo but he didn't have the courage and strength or the skills. He might have made a half decent Jacobs replacement tho.

Its not even "ARe they capable of being premiership players" when they aren't even really proper senior footy players. At least you know you could put Kayne Turner in a GF side and he'd leave everything he had out there on the park come the end of the game.

The 2014,15 and 16 drafts left alot to be desired in terms of second round picks. From The second round to halfway thru the third across those seasons we had seven picks and only Ryan Clarke has really done anything. EVW might have done something if he'd had more luck but there are five other players in that group. 20167 and WWalker lost to injury - its a combination of bad luck and missing other players who were picked late.

But since then we've had Scott, Taylor, (late third rounders actually but Scott probably would have gone earlier in an open draft,) Mahoney, Perez, Comben, Lazarro, Spicer, Curtis, Bergman, Goater. Spicer is the only one who looks as far off it as most of those 2014-17 players. All the others have either played more than a season's worth of games or at least shown they can play at the level. Even Lazarro, early on he showed a bit and Mahony did as well. And with those two - at the time we didn't really have the luxury of midfield depth. Even now we really don't so Mahony and Lazarro did fill a need before we got access to better mids in the last two drafts (ie NCJ, Sheeze, Wardlaw, Goater even PC if he builds a tank.)

For me the difference between the second rounders we drafted in that middle 2010's period and the ones we drafted since is that the ones we drafted since look like actual footy players, even if they aren't AFL level. The others didn't even look like VFL players imo. (I could have beaten Josh Williams in any contest and was just as fast. There's probably a bunch of other posters on here who could too and some of those other choices weren't much chop either so i reckon some posters would feel the same about them too.)

That's how bad the s**t Scotts et al left us with actually was.

I reckon EVW looked quite a capable prospect. But shoulder, shoulder, PCL, PCL then capped off with an ACL put paid to that.

It's also easy to forget the quarter Walker played before his "minor" knee injury. He had a ripper. Then the injury followed by the undetected injury crueled that.

As Ferbs mentioned, s**t luck coupled with other s**t decisions left us with nowt.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

He did his knee twice but before that he looked alright in the very brief view we got of him. It impossible to judge how good he could have been. Same with Will Walker, who did look like a good player before injury and mis-management cost him a chance.

That was just s**t luck.

But you have to expect that sort of thing with some drafting and we have had too many other misses due to s**t selections to be able to cover s**t luck for some players. For example Nielson, Hibberd, Watson, (JOsh) Williams and Wagner. Just one of those picks (not necessarily those players) still playing would make a huge difference to our side.. Clarke and Mountford - both showed something but poor development cost them a further shot at it. I never thought much of Clarke tbh but the Swans have got something useful out of him. We tried to turn him into (Sam) Gibbo but he didn't have the courage and strength or the skills. He might have made a half decent Jacobs replacement tho.

Its not even "ARe they capable of being premiership players" when they aren't even really proper senior footy players. At least you know you could put Kayne Turner in a GF side and he'd leave everything he had out there on the park come the end of the game.

The 2014,15 and 16 drafts left alot to be desired in terms of second round picks. From The second round to halfway thru the third across those seasons we had seven picks and only Ryan Clarke has really done anything. EVW might have done something if he'd had more luck but there are five other players in that group. 20167 and WWalker lost to injury - its a combination of bad luck and missing other players who were picked late.

But since then we've had Scott, Taylor, (late third rounders actually but Scott probably would have gone earlier in an open draft,) Mahoney, Perez, Comben, Lazarro, Spicer, Curtis, Bergman, Goater. Spicer is the only one who looks as far off it as most of those 2014-17 players. All the others have either played more than a season's worth of games or at least shown they can play at the level. Even Lazarro, early on he showed a bit and Mahony did as well. And with those two - at the time we didn't really have the luxury of midfield depth. Even now we really don't so Mahony and Lazarro did fill a need before we got access to better mids in the last two drafts (ie NCJ, Sheeze, Wardlaw, Goater even PC if he builds a tank.)

For me the difference between the second rounders we drafted in that middle 2010's period and the ones we drafted since is that the ones we drafted since look like actual footy players, even if they aren't AFL level. The others didn't even look like VFL players imo. (I could have beaten Josh Williams in any contest and was just as fast. There's probably a bunch of other posters on here who could too and some of those other choices weren't much chop either so i reckon some posters would feel the same about them too.)

That's how bad the s**t Scotts et al left us with actually was.
I have no doubt that now that, it the Shaw years and later, and possibly during the end of the Scott era, we weren't fit for purpose as a football club. Our recruiting, player development, the medical side and our coaching fell below the professional standard required for a football club. I obviously don't know the reason, but I suspect that the penny pinching we undertook to pay off our debt was a significant factor.

I didn't mind the Noble appointment when Roos was appointed to provide some support. Hoped that Roos would identify some of our core deficiencies and help turn them around. Turned out that neither Noble or Roos were fit for purpose.

So now change, through Clarkson and Viney, is finally here. But I reckon we're starting from a very long way back, and it's going to take us a commensurate amount of time to turn things around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back