Analysis We need to chat ( some of our more sensitive posters, probably shouldn't enter)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have spent the last 3 seasons wishing we'd get beaten. ( hated myself for it fyi) I was super excited by the prospect of watching us compete under al clarko in the year of the Lord 2023.
Well not much has changed, we have a better squad than we've had over the last 3 seasons, and today's result was as bad as anything we've dished up in the past. Not going to bother analysing the fact we got analysed. It was there for the football world to see.

The Hawks defeat was also catastrophic and I wasn't a bit surprised the Blues copped a belting against the Crows. We are once again closing in on averaging 100 points against every week. With many more options in the back six than we've had in a while.
Someone said that Sheezel may well win our B&F and as laughable as that should be, you'd think he'll go close.

I'm not sure how we arrived here but alas we are here and I still feel finals in 2025 are a real chance, I also don't rate the quality of the comp, think it is quite poor. That helps us I suppose.

On to the real issue at hand. In alphabetical order

1. Bergman
  2. Comben
  3. Corr
  4. Cunnington
  5. Curtis
  6. Drury*
  7. George*
  8. Goater
  9. Goldy
  10. Greenwood
  11. Harvey*
  12. Howe
  13. Larkey
  14. Logue
  15. McKay
  16. Phillips
  17. Powell
  18. Sheezel
  19. Sheils
  20. Simpkin
  21. Stephenson
  22. Thomas*
  23. Tucker
  24. Wardlaw*
  25. Xerri
  26. Ziebell
  27. Zurhaar

That is our AFL capable squad, the * I haven't seen as yet, so I'll give then a chance. The rest aren't any good and for 99% they never will be good enough for AFL football, regardless of how poor a standard it is.

The break down as follows.

The below fab five I believe won't be playing in season 2025, so leaves us with 22

1. Goldy
  2. Cunners
  3. JZ
  4. Greenwood
  5. Shiels

The below flaky four make the San Andreas seem stable, leaves us with 18.
  1. McDonald
  2. McKay
  3. Corr
  4. Howe

The good news, the below are our future

1. Bergman
  2. Comben
  3. Corr
  4. Curtis
  5. Goater
  6. Larkey
  7. Logue
  8. LDU
  9. Phillips
  10. Powell
  11. Sheezel
  12. Simpkin
  13. Stephenson
  14. Xerri
  15. Zurhaar

May be the above is bad news as there isn't many of them.

Then of course; * Haven't seen them play

1. George- hope he is as good as they say.
  2. Wardlaw- very unfit, but that is actually very exciting if you think about it
  3. Drury- don't know anything about him
  4. Harvey- isn't impressing many on the track with his efforts fyi.

For the rest, you could all be delisted without causing a ripple. Now I'm not suggesting we delist 18 at seasons end, but we *en should.
This is dire and I hope we're smart enough to let McKay walk and cash in big time.
Head to the draft with 3 first rounders and shake them about , see if we get a bite.

Collingwood have moved on great players and it never seems to set them back.

oh well

I have spent the last 3 seasons wishing we'd get beaten. ( hated myself for it fyi) I was super excited by the prospect of watching us compete under al clarko in the year of the Lord 2023.
Well not much has changed, we have a better squad than we've had over the last 3 seasons, and today's result was as bad as anything we've dished up in the past. Not going to bother analysing the fact we got analysed. It was there for the football world to see.

The Hawks defeat was also catastrophic and I wasn't a bit surprised the Blues copped a belting against the Crows. We are once again closing in on averaging 100 points against every week. With many more options in the back six than we've had in a while.
Someone said that Sheezel may well win our B&F and as laughable as that should be, you'd think he'll go close.

I'm not sure how we arrived here but alas we are here and I still feel finals in 2025 are a real chance, I also don't rate the quality of the comp, think it is quite poor. That helps us I suppose.

1. Bergman
  2. Comben
  3. Corr
  4. Cunnington
  5. Curtis
  6. Drury*
  7. George*
  8. Goater
  9. Goldy
  10. Greenwood
  11. Harvey*
  12. Howe
  13. Larkey
  14. Logue
  15. McKay
  16. Phillips
  17. Powell
  18. Sheezel
  19. Sheils
  20. Simpkin
  21. Stephenson
  22. Thomas*
  23. Tucker
  24. Wardlaw*
  25. Xerri
  26. Ziebell
  27. Zurhaar

That is our AFL capable squad, the * I haven't seen as yet, so I'll give then a chance. The rest aren't any good and for 99% they never will be good enough for AFL football, regardless of how poor a standard it is.

The below fab five I believe won't be playing in season 2025, so leaves us with 22

1. Goldy
  2. Cunners
  3. JZ
  4. Greenwood
  5. Shiels

1. McDonald
  2. McKay
  3. Corr
  4. Howe

1. Bergman
  2. Comben
  3. Corr
  4. Curtis
  5. Goater
  6. Larkey
  7. Logue
  8. LDU
  9. Phillips
  10. Powell
  11. Sheezel
  12. Simpkin
  13. Stephenson
  14. Xerri
  15. Zurhaar

2. Wardlaw- very unfit, but that is actually very exciting if you think about it

For the rest, you could all be delisted without causing a ripple. Now I'm not suggesting we delist 18 at seasons end, but we *en should.
This is dire and I hope we're smart enough to let McKay walk and cash in big time.
Head to the draft with 3 first rounders and shake them about , see if we get a bite.

oh well
Is Corr flaky or the future?

1. Bergman
  2. Comben
  3. Corr
  4. Cunnington
  5. Curtis
  6. Drury*
  7. George*
  8. Goater
  9. Goldy
  10. Greenwood
  11. Harvey*
  12. Howe
  13. Larkey
  14. Logue
  15. McKay
  16. Phillips
  17. Powell
  18. Sheezel
  19. Sheils
  20. Simpkin
  21. Stephenson
  22. Thomas*
  23. Tucker
  24. Wardlaw*
  25. Xerri
  26. Ziebell
  27. Zurhaar

1. Goldy
  2. Cunners
  3. JZ
  4. Greenwood
  5. Shiels

1. McDonald
  2. McKay
  3. Corr
  4. Howe

1. Bergman
  2. Comben
  3. Corr
  4. Curtis
  5. Goater
  6. Larkey
  7. Logue
  8. LDU
  9. Phillips
  10. Powell
  11. Sheezel
  12. Simpkin
  13. Stephenson
  14. Xerri
  15. Zurhaar

oh well
Archer doesn't evevn rate a mention ? come on man, he has at least shown AFL capability imo

Would have loved to have seen Archers mongrel out there today. Our backline is so soft.

And you can add Tucker to your shitman list. He was pathetic today and I'm now leaning towards what my Freo mates have said. He's not up to it.

I'm kind of with you with McKay but you only let guys leave if you have someone to replace them. We need another couple of key defenders badly.

Would have loved to have seen Archers mongrel out there today. Our backline is so soft.

And you can add Tucker to your shitman list. He was pathetic today and I'm now leaning towards what my Freo mates have said. He's not up to it.

I'm kind of with you with McKay but you only let guys leave if you have someone to replace them. We need another couple of key defenders badly.

Mate McKay is that overblown around here it is madness

We have Dawson. Well done Brady Rawlings

Can’t disagree on too much there. The fact the competition is so diluted and we should get some more top end talent again should help us get up the ladder sooner rather than later.
Hopefully!!

Last week, arguably the best tall duo
In the comp tore us apart with no KPD. This week, a hack and a potential player tore us a new one. You don’t need a cumbersome full back. Griff is mobile and reads it well. Mckay is a 1v1 guy deep in the 50.

I understand Clarko is using this year to see what players can and cant do. McKay was up around the wings, that was a direction, was it to see how quick he can move back into defence? I found the McKay thing quite interesting. I think mckay was found out today. 1 dimensional and if he stays with us, its for absolute pittance.

As for the rest, its too early to tell. We got pantsed in the midfield and out of defence. Too many passengers, in contrast to last week. It was pathetic effort and skill killed us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can add a key fwd to that, the cavelry definitely doesnt consist of chom and souva.

You can add a key fwd to that, the cavelry definitely doesnt consist of chom and souva.
Chom has played 6 ish games and had 6 shots on goal. Bag Chom at your own peril. A Brisbane supporter called me 10 minutes ago and gave Chom a massive wrap.

I said he’s played 6 games. He couldn’t believe it

I thought our backline looked too short today, based on the odd occasion they were actually next to an opponent. Losing McKay as our tallest defender won’t help that.

No love for Curtis Taylor? On a positive not we are well back in contention for Harley Reid, and another bottom finish would have to mean a proper compensation pick. Lose McKay and we could go in with 5 first rounders!

We are five games into Clarko's first season after three of the worst seasons in NMFC history, and as bad as today was, I want to see how we respond next week before blowing a gasket.

1. Bergman
  2. Comben
  3. Corr
  4. Cunnington
  5. Curtis
  6. Drury*
  7. George*
  8. Goater
  9. Goldy
  10. Greenwood
  11. Harvey*
  12. Howe
  13. Larkey
  14. Logue
  15. McKay
  16. Phillips
  17. Powell
  18. Sheezel
  19. Sheils
  20. Simpkin
  21. Stephenson
  22. Thomas*
  23. Tucker
  24. Wardlaw*
  25. Xerri
  26. Ziebell
  27. Zurhaar

1. Goldy
  2. Cunners
  3. JZ
  4. Greenwood
  5. Shiels

1. McDonald
  2. McKay
  3. Corr
  4. Howe

1. Bergman
  2. Comben
  3. Corr
  4. Curtis
  5. Goater
  6. Larkey
  7. Logue
  8. LDU
  9. Phillips
  10. Powell
  11. Sheezel
  12. Simpkin
  13. Stephenson
  14. Xerri
  15. Zurhaar

oh well
Re your first paragraph, I think you’re going a little premature here. Already we have the same number of wins this season than we did last. Only one blowout so far - we had these performances last year week on week. Lets revisit mid season

Re your first paragraph, I think you’re going a little premature here. Already we have the same number of wins this season than we did last. Only one blowout so far - we had these performances last year week on week. Lets revisit mid season

Yeah may be, just it was the same old names copping it in the GD thread, always the same names.

We are five games into Clarko's first season after three of the worst seasons in NMFC history, and as bad as today was, I want to see how we respond next week before blowing a gasket.
Oooof, reckon Clarko’s nice persona would of been quiet in the rooms after the game. Would of just stood there in the rooms in the post match and pointed at blokes “hey larks, what went wrong today, cunners what you think, jy, powell, buckets, what do you think went wrong” would of been a savage self reflection moment in the rooms. No bakes, no sprays just let the boys walk out understanding that they were not good enough

now, now don't misquote me.

I said he was a shitmen in 22 and I was correct. I also said he'd have a great 23.
Surely the old adage 'once a shitmen, always a shitmen' must come into consideration though? If you laid out a shitmen's output over his career, the mean output would be shitmen-esque. You can't be a shitmen for one year if it's a clear outlier year in the wider context of your career

Surely the old adage 'once a shitmen, always a shitmen' must come into consideration though? If you laid out a shitmen's output over his career, the mean output would be shitmen-esque. You can't be a shitmen for one year if it's a clear outlier year in the wider context of your career
Career? Over a career? Has powell played out a career?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back