Analysis We need to chat ( some of our more sensitive posters, probably shouldn't enter)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah it was the right thing to do, we then bought back some free senior talent to help out the youngsters, I don't mind that approach. We knew we'd bottom out and that was the plan, hit the drafts hard and start again. It is why we had to start again that is the issue.

T'was K4E who posted all of our misses, I think. Anyway it sticks out like dogs balls. I don't mind if we miss a fourth rounder ie a Ford, at pick 50 odd you're not really expecting much. A bit speculative and that's ok.

Our second round misses and trading have been catastrophic as of now, some may turn it around.

Rd 2 2020 Charlie Lazzaro
Rd 2 2020 Phoenix Spicer
Rd 2 2019 Jack Mahony
Rd 2 2019 Flynn Perez
Rd 2 2017 Wil Walker
Rd 2 2016 Declan Watson
Rd 2 2016 Josh Williams
Rd 2 2015 Ryan Clarke
Rd 2 2015 Mitch Hibberd
Rd 2 2014 Dan Nielson
Rd 2 2014 EVW

Goodness me

oh well

Looks horrific from any angle. Out of interest, I’d like to see the same table for every club in the competition. Just to get a complete idea. What were we thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Mate you're the one in the alternate world thinking Turner is elite. You've embarrassed yourself enough, log off and take a break, it's clear you're a footy nuffy.
Show me where I’ve said he’s elite? I haven’t mentioned him in this thread. I’ve said he is likely gonna play until someone else can play his role for four quarters, and that I will be pleased when that happens. Turner elite lmao. I’ll delete my account if you can show me saying that.

If you wanna hurl insults around rather than have a reasonable discussion that’s on you. You can’t seem to make an argument without misrepresenting what I’ve said, and your fixation on one player in a side that got done by 70 odd points isn’t perhaps the approach the coaches will take. I’d argue it’s a pretty nuff move to throw the toys out of the cot cos we’re not playing like the ******* Crows. Put me on ignore and spare me your disingenuous and lazy “arguments”.

I’m not sure if people were hiding under a bushel all preseason, but there was never any shying away from the fact that this was going to be painful. We’re fortunate not to be 0-5. Last week could have very easily gone the way of yesterday.

Unfortunately there’s no quick way to boot all the “shitmen”. What do we replace them with this week? Curtis and Bergman in. Possibly. Goater soon. Wardlaw a bit later on. What else is there? You’re down to hoping a Perez or Lazzaro can stick.

We need to keep drafting in skilled kids and hope Clarko can pull some FA gems.

Agreed, we could be 0-5. However, the difference last week was that we stood up. Even if we had been flogged in the end, it would have been more or less acceptable, albeit, a bitter pill. Yesterday’s complete debacle just was not supposed to happen this year. We should, at least, have been able to do what West Coast are doing against Geelong - flogged, but not laughably so.

Looks horrific from any angle. Out of interest, I’d like to see the same table for every club in the competition. Just to get a complete idea. What were we thinking?

Add in we gave Preuss away and the Dees then traded him again for pick 31 lol. We paid way overs for CCJ pick 19. Then gave up pick11 for Polec FMD!!

Think Poort then took Buttes lol.

Nah it was the right thing to do, we then bought back some free senior talent to help out the youngsters, I don't mind that approach. We knew we'd bottom out and that was the plan, hit the drafts hard and start again. It is why we had to start again that is the issue.

T'was K4E who posted all of our misses, I think. Anyway it sticks out like dogs balls. I don't mind if we miss a fourth rounder ie a Ford, at pick 50 odd you're not really expecting much. A bit speculative and that's ok.

Our second round misses and trading have been catastrophic as of now, some may turn it around.

Rd 2 2020 Phoenix Spicer
Rd 2 2019 Jack Mahony
Rd 2 2019 Flynn Perez
Rd 2 2017 Wil Walker
Rd 2 2016 Declan Watson
Rd 2 2016 Josh Williams
Rd 2 2015 Ryan Clarke
Rd 2 2015 Mitch Hibberd
Rd 2 2014 Dan Nielson
Rd 2 2014 EVW

Goodness me

oh well
tenor.gif

Yep look at Adelaide, second youngest list and didn't have the high end picks we did and look at them.
Several years ago there was an article about Adelaide's drasft picks and the 10 or 15 they had in the top 30 over the last five years. Or whatever it was I dunno. At the time we had BMac and either the 2020 picks or we'd picked them.

I have spent the last 3 seasons wishing we'd get beaten. ( hated myself for it fyi) I was super excited by the prospect of watching us compete under al clarko in the year of the Lord 2023.
Well not much has changed, we have a better squad than we've had over the last 3 seasons, and today's result was as bad as anything we've dished up in the past. Not going to bother analysing the fact we got analysed. It was there for the football world to see.

The Hawks defeat was also catastrophic and I wasn't a bit surprised the Blues copped a belting against the Crows. We are once again closing in on averaging 100 points against every week. With many more options in the back six than we've had in a while.
Someone said that Sheezel may well win our B&F and as laughable as that should be, you'd think he'll go close.

I'm not sure how we arrived here but alas we are here and I still feel finals in 2025 are a real chance, I also don't rate the quality of the comp, think it is quite poor. That helps us I suppose.

On to the real issue at hand. In alphabetical order

1. Bergman
  2. Comben
  3. Corr
  4. Cunnington
  5. Curtis
  6. Drury*
  7. George*
  8. Goater
  9. Goldy
  10. Greenwood
  11. Harvey*
  12. Howe
  13. Larkey
  14. Logue
  15. McKay
  16. Phillips
  17. Powell
  18. Sheezel
  19. Sheils
  20. Simpkin
  21. Stephenson
  22. Thomas*
  23. Tucker
  24. Wardlaw*
  25. Xerri
  26. Ziebell
  27. Zurhaar

That is our AFL capable squad, the * I haven't seen as yet, so I'll give then a chance. The rest aren't any good and for 99% they never will be good enough for AFL football, regardless of how poor a standard it is.

The break down as follows.

The below fab five I believe won't be playing in season 2025, so leaves us with 22

1. Goldy
  2. Cunners
  3. JZ
  4. Greenwood
  5. Shiels

The below flaky four make the San Andreas seem stable, leaves us with 18.
  1. McDonald
  2. McKay
  3. Corr
  4. Howe

The good news, the below are our future

1. Bergman
  2. Comben
  3. Corr
  4. Curtis
  5. Goater
  6. Larkey
  7. Logue
  8. LDU
  9. Phillips
  10. Powell
  11. Sheezel
  12. Simpkin
  13. Stephenson
  14. Xerri
  15. Zurhaar

May be the above is bad news as there isn't many of them.

Then of course; * Haven't seen them play

1. George- hope he is as good as they say.
  2. Wardlaw- very unfit, but that is actually very exciting if you think about it
  3. Drury- don't know anything about him
  4. Harvey- isn't impressing many on the track with his efforts fyi.

For the rest, you could all be delisted without causing a ripple. Now I'm not suggesting we delist 18 at seasons end, but we *en should.
This is dire and I hope we're smart enough to let McKay walk and cash in big time.
Head to the draft with 3 first rounders and shake them about , see if we get a bite.

Collingwood have moved on great players and it never seems to set them back.

oh well

Some people might want to debate one player or another on your list, but that doesn’t change the story. Agree with your Functional 15 and would back in 2 out of the 4 of the *. I’d add back LMac and McKay (or his compensation replacement), which gives us 19 players. How many are needed to win a flag? I’m guessing by your classification maybe 25? So we are 6-8 short. Add two more years of drafting and we’re maybe 2-6 short.

So, I’m suggesting we need pied piper Clarko to charm 2-6 quality head of cattle over the next 3 years to get us there. 2 is doable but 6 is unlikely. Sound reasonable?

Some people might want to debate one player or another on your list, but that doesn’t change the story. Agree with your Functional 15 and would back in 2 out of the 4 of the *. I’d add back LMac and McKay (or his compensation replacement), which gives us 19 players. How many are needed to win a flag? I’m guessing by your classification maybe 25? So we are 6-8 short. Add two more years of drafting and we’re maybe 2-6 short.

So, I’m suggesting we need pied piper Clarko to charm 2-6 quality head of cattle over the next 3 years to get us there. 2 is doable but 6 is unlikely. Sound reasonable?

Yep 100% you are correct. I'm not against us trading an early pick for the right player in the appropriate age bracket. Next week is the last game in the next six or so weeks I can see us winning.

Reckon we'll be 17th by rd 10 ish.

Rd 2 2020 Phoenix Spicer
Rd 2 2019 Jack Mahony
Rd 2 2019 Flynn Perez
Rd 2 2017 Wil Walker
Rd 2 2016 Declan Watson
Rd 2 2016 Josh Williams
Rd 2 2015 Ryan Clarke
Rd 2 2015 Mitch Hibberd
Rd 2 2014 Dan Nielson
Rd 2 2014 EVW

Goodness me

oh well

******* hell that is a depressing list of players hahaha

Looking at the long list of players out of contract, most of whom would be justifiably delisted, the raw numbers tell me that there are going to be a few lucky boys getting one year extensions.

As a wise man once said, oh well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rd 2 2020 Phoenix Spicer
Rd 2 2019 Jack Mahony
Rd 2 2019 Flynn Perez
Rd 2 2017 Wil Walker
Rd 2 2016 Declan Watson
Rd 2 2016 Josh Williams
Rd 2 2015 Ryan Clarke
Rd 2 2015 Mitch Hibberd
Rd 2 2014 Dan Nielson
Rd 2 2014 EVW

Goodness me

oh well
Hindsight is always a wonderful thing, but how we went any of Mahony, Perez, and Comben over Chad Warner is beyond me. Obviously Comben is just a few games into his career and could prove my comment here null and void as he becomes the next Corey McKernan.

The other one who would be helpful in our forward line would be Charlie Spargo (and surely he was right under our nose). In fairness though, Walker looked very good in his first few games before getting injured.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lazaro get a run this week if Simpkin doesn't come up. Looks like he is applying the appropriate pressure from the VFL.

Josh Williams was one of the reaches (well so was Walker probably) that didn't need to be done with an early second round pick.

Rd 2 2020 Phoenix Spicer
Rd 2 2019 Jack Mahony
Rd 2 2019 Flynn Perez
Rd 2 2017 Wil Walker
Rd 2 2016 Declan Watson
Rd 2 2016 Josh Williams
Rd 2 2015 Ryan Clarke
Rd 2 2015 Mitch Hibberd
Rd 2 2014 Dan Nielson
Rd 2 2014 EVW

Goodness me

oh well
Yep that hurts and then Thomas awol
You expect at least 3 to 4 from that list to be solid contributors with one pushing B+ type.

It’s quite possible we could run out on Sunday with 6 blokes over the age of 30.

Now, if you’re competing for a premiership that would be all well and good. When you’re coming off 9.5 wins in 3 seasons, it’s less than optimal I would have thought.

This isn’t a criticism of selection so much, more so a reflection of where we currently sit and the state of the list.

It’s quite possible we could run out on Sunday with 6 blokes over the age of 30.

Now, if you’re competing for a premiership that would be all well and good. When you’re coming off 9.5 wins in 3 seasons, it’s less than optimal I would have thought.

This isn’t a criticism of selection so much, more so a reflection of where we currently sit and the state of the list.

We don't have a base of players who actually understand how to carry out our game plan.

Older blokes will diligently work on understanding and implementing that plan. Yes they suck at times but will go to work on how we want to play and won't fall to pieces mentally when things are hard.

Once enough blokes actually understand wtf is going on then you can blood the young blokes who are struggling just to keep up with the pace of things and run four quarters.

That's what I presume is happening.

Rd 2 2020 Phoenix Spicer
Rd 2 2019 Jack Mahony
Rd 2 2019 Flynn Perez
Rd 2 2017 Wil Walker
Rd 2 2016 Declan Watson
Rd 2 2016 Josh Williams
Rd 2 2015 Ryan Clarke
Rd 2 2015 Mitch Hibberd
Rd 2 2014 Dan Nielson
Rd 2 2014 EVW

Goodness me

oh well
Well we dont have a second rounder in the next draft (?), so we cant mess that one up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back