FTA-TV The Handmaid’s Tale

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont really like this tv show tho I do.

Season 1 episodes 1-5 were a labor to get thru. Season 1 episodes 6-10 were fantastic. But season 2 has been a big bore fest again.
I like the show because it really develops characters well and puts them in a variety of situations. But the characters are often two one-dimensional. June is the worst actress ever. I hate her style of acting, that same facial expression for everything. Her character too is a mess, and it therefore doesn't help give much sympathy for her. She's just a one-way street. The show really handles the flashbacks very well, if only Westworld employed a similar narrative style -- linear from the get go, with a lot of flashbacks mixed in -- then WW would've been much better, tho still lacking in terms of characters -- which THT excels at (bar June).

Anyway, I'm trying to find the exact words for why this show bores the s**t out of me. It's "too much" of certain things over and over.

You’d be in the minority thinking that about Moss. Her acting with expressions needs to be pretty solid as often she can’t speak. If she just had one expression it would look farcical.
She shows the various emotions in her eyes, or pushing her jaw a little, etc, but really it's the same facial expression -- wide-eyed, open mouth. Like a sex doll (not that I know about that, just what a friend told me)....but....it's not just that, but the fact she expresses so much angst/grief/pain/worry/anger at every freakin' moment she's on screen. Every tiny thing that occurs around her -- inanimate or animate -- results in these long close-ups of her sex doll face showing extreme anger/pain/grief. After a while it's like FFS get over it, jesus *ingg christ. It's way over-played, over-done, over-cooked, it spoils the character and the show.

Same with that Nick guy too. He is THE worst male actor ever. Seriously watch him. The same facial expression too, and his arms. They always just dangle motionless by his sides. Horrible, considering the both of them are like the main two focus.

Waterford Mr and Mrs are far better actors. Especially Mrs.

The whole show is too much about showcasing horrible acts/attitudes towards women and homosexuals. Just beating you over the head at every moment. Far too much that it detracts from the plot/story. It's like let's imagine all the very worst things we can subject women to, and shove it down your throat every screen moment.

No doubt, someone will take this post as being sexist or something. But i'm a huge proponent of women's (gays/etc) rights and so on. But they're too heavy-handed about it instead of being more poignant. Too soap-boxy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just sounds like it’s not the show for you.
It's not a show for anyone. It was better left as a movie. This show isn't enjoyable in any sense. This alternate reality of America as a religious cult is extremely depressing (a possible reality looming), of political correctness gone viral on purpose in order to bring in a christian traditional value system, like an Illuminati conspiracy. And then the show beats you over the head with the horrible day-to-day realities of this world show after show. Considering it's a TV show, with 10 episodes per season, and possibly heading into a 3rd and 4th....no one can enjoy watching this on a weekly basis, getting beaten over the head with it. The violence, torture, and soap-boxing. A TV show has a foundation - a certain type of world they live in - sure, but a show needs to progress along, taking different twists and turns, incorporating different events that change the world they live in, and even just to break up the monotony of things.

I'm up to episode 7 of Season 2....so far, season 1 first half did a good job of setting up the world etc, and the second half of season 1 did well to maneuver things around to keep things lively. But season 2 first half had the chance to make some progress, or promised that, with June's escape. But now where back to status quo again, and back to where we were in season 1 first half. I feel the writers should've done something far more with June's escape. It dragged on for like 3 or 4 episodes and should've resulted (imo) in her say escaping, and using her baby to barter for the return of Hannah, with say political pressure and the beginnings of a war between Canada and America showing on screen. Something like that.

Even a turn in the story where the writer's flip the sympathy around on us, to play with us, making us dislike June and appreciate the Waterford's more. Like when June's character learns (like she did at the wall with Aunt Lydia) that she has been too selfish, about her, and causing so many tragedies around her. They could've pushed that further, more deaths and repercussions occurring all because June keeps fighting this new way of life beyond reason, too selfish, when everyone else has just as many or more sacrifices and losses, but June is too self-centered about her quest, her promise, to free Hannah.

I would've just appreciated them progressing and turning things....from a viewers/writers perspective.

Season 1....tho it had it's lags, as a set up season was great.

I just would've done the following thing -- season 2 -- june escapes and the escape is hurried along quicker, so that it happens in two episodes not 4. June's selfish acts cause death and pain for many around her -- the people helping her escape, Nick, Mr Waterford getting something cut off, Rita, other handmaids.

June escapes and uses the baby to negotiate with the Waterford's for Hannah's release. But June realizes her selfish acts have caused so much grief around her, and that all the Waterford's want is a baby, Mrs is a good woman, she cares for children unlike the other wives, etc. So many times June has gone feral only for Mrs to help her, or save her from Aunt Lydia's punishments, the Colonies.

June is forced to accept that Hannah is better off in her new life, safe, protected, and that she can't harm her "unwanted" Waterford baby. She willingly accepts to give up her escape, return her pregnant self to the Waterfords, give up on Hannah, that'd be a big woah point of the show, that at some point, a mother thinking always for her child, decides the best thing for her is to give her up, let her be free, even if it causes the mom pain. So many others had to sacrifice their husbands, children, parents, lives, and succumbed, so too June, especially given Moira actually escaped when she didnt have as much fight in her as June. A twist on things.

So June returns to the Waterfords by episode 3, and actually, she stops with all this facial expression of pain/anger at every moment. She willingly accepts she is safe here, is blessed, unlike those at the colonies and maimed, and she tries harder to genuinely belong, because she's adaptive, a survivor. She and Mrs Waterford actually become incredibly close friends episode 4, and you see them often helping each other, opening up more to each other, there's no jeckyll-hyde relationship where one moment Mrs beats her up and then kind, but instead they become dear friends, she replaces Moira in her life.

Meanwhile, Moira and Luke, Mayday, keeps looking for June, but she turns her back on them. When the baby is born, Mr Waterford wants June replaced, but Mrs fights to have her stay, and allows her to be a mom too, unlike how Janine was treated. Perhaps Nick is replaced by a new driver, who is more professional as an Eye, and he tries to dob in the Waterfords for living hypocritically to the way others have to in their similar/lesser positions. Abusing their standing.

That develops further where the two people who pretty much WROTE the new laws (the Waterfords) are breaking the laws, but also perhaps, with the help of compassion for June, beginning to understand they went too far, and try to rewrite the laws. In a way, then, June's character is larger than life....she's no longer fighting just selfishly to save her daughter, but now she has a bigger goal, to help save ALL women, handmaids, in this new America. Progress June, the acting, away from this angry/pained one-expression role already. Enough was enough for an entire season 1....but now June/OfFred, is a different character, evolved. There's a real sense now the world they live in is starting to unravel, change in little ways, thanks to June, Mrs Waterford, politics with Canada, Luke/Moira/Mayday insurgencies, etc. All this should've been happening in a more rapid way thru Season 2.

She shows the various emotions in her eyes, or pushing her jaw a little, etc, but really it's the same facial expression -- wide-eyed, open mouth. Like a sex doll (not that I know about that, just what a friend told me)....but....it's not just that, but the fact she expresses so much angst/grief/pain/worry/anger at every freakin' moment she's on screen. Every tiny thing that occurs around her -- inanimate or animate -- results in these long close-ups of her sex doll face showing extreme anger/pain/grief. After a while it's like FFS get over it, jesus *ingg christ. It's way over-played, over-done, over-cooked, it spoils the character and the show.

Same with that Nick guy too. He is THE worst male actor ever. Seriously watch him. The same facial expression too, and his arms. They always just dangle motionless by his sides. Horrible, considering the both of them are like the main two focus.

Waterford Mr and Mrs are far better actors. Especially Mrs.

The whole show is too much about showcasing horrible acts/attitudes towards women and homosexuals. Just beating you over the head at every moment. Far too much that it detracts from the plot/story. It's like let's imagine all the very worst things we can subject women to, and shove it down your throat every screen moment.

No doubt, someone will take this post as being sexist or something. But i'm a huge proponent of women's (gays/etc) rights and so on. But they're too heavy-handed about it instead of being more poignant. Too soap-boxy.

The only comments here that I agree with are that the actor playing Nick is dreadful and Joseph and Yvonne are great as the Waterfords.

I would've just appreciated them progressing and turning things....from a viewers/writers perspective.

Season 1....tho it had it's lags, as a set up season was great.

I just would've done the following thing -- season 2 -- june escapes and the escape is hurried along quicker, so that it happens in two episodes not 4. June's selfish acts cause death and pain for many around her -- the people helping her escape, Nick, Mr Waterford getting something cut off, Rita, other handmaids.

June escapes and uses the baby to negotiate with the Waterford's for Hannah's release. But June realizes her selfish acts have caused so much grief around her, and that all the Waterford's want is a baby, Mrs is a good woman, she cares for children unlike the other wives, etc. So many times June has gone feral only for Mrs to help her, or save her from Aunt Lydia's punishments, the Colonies.

June is forced to accept that Hannah is better off in her new life, safe, protected, and that she can't harm her "unwanted" Waterford baby. She willingly accepts to give up her escape, return her pregnant self to the Waterfords, give up on Hannah, that'd be a big woah point of the show, that at some point, a mother thinking always for her child, decides the best thing for her is to give her up, let her be free, even if it causes the mom pain. So many others had to sacrifice their husbands, children, parents, lives, and succumbed, so too June, especially given Moira actually escaped when she didnt have as much fight in her as June. A twist on things.

So June returns to the Waterfords by episode 3, and actually, she stops with all this facial expression of pain/anger at every moment. She willingly accepts she is safe here, is blessed, unlike those at the colonies and maimed, and she tries harder to genuinely belong, because she's adaptive, a survivor. She and Mrs Waterford actually become incredibly close friends episode 4, and you see them often helping each other, opening up more to each other, there's no jeckyll-hyde relationship where one moment Mrs beats her up and then kind, but instead they become dear friends, she replaces Moira in her life.

Meanwhile, Moira and Luke, Mayday, keeps looking for June, but she turns her back on them. When the baby is born, Mr Waterford wants June replaced, but Mrs fights to have her stay, and allows her to be a mom too, unlike how Janine was treated. Perhaps Nick is replaced by a new driver, who is more professional as an Eye, and he tries to dob in the Waterfords for living hypocritically to the way others have to in their similar/lesser positions. Abusing their standing.

That develops further where the two people who pretty much WROTE the new laws (the Waterfords) are breaking the laws, but also perhaps, with the help of compassion for June, beginning to understand they went too far, and try to rewrite the laws. In a way, then, June's character is larger than life....she's no longer fighting just selfishly to save her daughter, but now she has a bigger goal, to help save ALL women, handmaids, in this new America. Progress June, the acting, away from this angry/pained one-expression role already. Enough was enough for an entire season 1....but now June/OfFred, is a different character, evolved. There's a real sense now the world they live in is starting to unravel, change in little ways, thanks to June, Mrs Waterford, politics with Canada, Luke/Moira/Mayday insurgencies, etc. All this should've been happening in a more rapid way thru Season 2.

No thanks

I dont really like this tv show tho I do.

Season 1 episodes 1-5 were a labor to get thru. Season 1 episodes 6-10 were fantastic. But season 2 has been a big bore fest again.
I like the show because it really develops characters well and puts them in a variety of situations. But the characters are often two one-dimensional. June is the worst actress ever. I hate her style of acting, that same facial expression for everything. Her character too is a mess, and it therefore doesn't help give much sympathy for her. She's just a one-way street. The show really handles the flashbacks very well, if only Westworld employed a similar narrative style -- linear from the get go, with a lot of flashbacks mixed in -- then WW would've been much better, tho still lacking in terms of characters -- which THT excels at (bar June).

Anyway, I'm trying to find the exact words for why this show bores the s**t out of me. It's "too much" of certain things over and over.

"I don't like anything" are the words you are looking for ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back