Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Gonna be interesting to see who Australia pick for Sydney. Obviously you pick Hazlewood to replace Starc but do they add Aaron Hardie to replace Green? He'd be my pick. I'd also play 2 spinners in prep for India.

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Carey (+)
Hardie
Cummins
Swepson
Lyon
Hazlewood

Less than 3 pages for this cricket season so far . Crowds are flocking in . It started in 2011.
Yep plenty reading it.
There are 79 people who care about cricket watching this thread. I don't care about cricket so I'm not interested in being alerted to posts about cricket in the The Non-Essendon Football thread. If 79 people who care about cricket aren't enough for you then you could maybe try the Cricket Board.

Cheers.

Still coming to terms with what I saw last night in the BBL. After the Hobart innings the atmosphere at the oval was pretty defeatist but I don't think anyone honestly predicted what would follow. Awesome game to be at.

Still coming to terms with what I saw last night in the BBL. After the Hobart innings the atmosphere at the oval was pretty defeatist but I don't think anyone honestly predicted what would follow. Awesome game to be at.
It was an interesting watch. On the TV it seemed like the Strikers cruised in the chase without taking too many risks, which is bizarre when chasing 230!

Surely by now cricket Australia needs to change around the summer schedule.

Something like 6 of the last 7 SCG tests have been affected by rain. It's typical of weather patterns in Sydney for January now.

They should be looking at swapping the Adelaide day/night test into Jan and SCG gets first week in December. The warmer weather in SA over Jan is mitigated by playing it at night, and since it is school holidays kids in the AEDT can stay up to watch.

Surely by now cricket Australia needs to change around the summer schedule.

Something like 6 of the last 7 SCG tests have been affected by rain. It's typical of weather patterns in Sydney for January now.

They should be looking at swapping the Adelaide day/night test into Jan and SCG gets first week in December. The warmer weather in SA over Jan is mitigated by playing it at night, and since it is school holidays kids in the AEDT can stay up to watch.
Agree. There has been the comments about tradition but Adelaide used to have the Australia Day weekend test as well.
The whole summer needs a shake up. It is clear the the BB running along with international cricket is not really working. They need to play the tests and have them finish early Jan and then run the BB with that final on the last weekend in Jan. International cricket Nov and Dec . Big Bash 3/4 weeks in Jan.

Every time we go to India it is the same story . There seems to be some sections of the media or the public that pump up our chances and when we get a dynamite spin pitch the same things happen. Even our greatest sides managed to get beaten more often than not. Lets face it the side we had from 2000 - 2008 could only win one series.
Yes they should have selected Head but the issue was pretty much the whole lineup where deer's in the headlights . Nothing will change until they actually work on a batting lineup that can play spin and actually follow through on a horses for courses selection policy fully. Of course developing these batsman in some way would be handy as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every time we go to India it is the same story . There seems to be some sections of the media or the public that pump up our chances and when we get a dynamite spin pitch the same things happen. Even our greatest sides managed to get beaten more often than not. Lets face it the side we had from 2000 - 2008 could only win one series.
Yes they should have selected Head but the issue was pretty much the whole lineup where deer's in the headlights . Nothing will change until they actually work on a batting lineup that can play spin and actually follow through on a horses for courses selection policy fully. Of course developing these batsman in some way would be handy as well.

The only Aussie to average 50 in India is Hayden and he paid to train there in an off season or something like that.

Teams barely play warm up matches.

What annoys me is that the Indians prepare pitches to defeat us. We prepare pitches to try to protect 5 days of revenues and negate our home ground advantage.

I find Matt Renshaw an interesting horses for courses selection. Isn't making runs part of the criteria to be a horse? I think he's more donkeys for courses.

It looks like picking the second best spinner in the country to play with the best spinner in the country exhausted the reservoir of selection panel common sense.

I'd like to see 5 games added to the Shield season, which must be played on a specially prepared dust bowl in the NT. Everyone plays everyone else once.

Obviously that won't happen

The only Aussie to average 50 in India is Hayden and he paid to train there in an off season or something like that.

Teams barely play warm up matches.

What annoys me is that the Indians prepare pitches to defeat us. We prepare pitches to try to protect 5 days of revenues and negate our home ground advantage.

I find Matt Renshaw an interesting horses for courses selection. Isn't making runs part of the criteria to be a horse? I think he's more donkeys for courses.

It looks like picking the second best spinner in the country to play with the best spinner in the country exhausted the reservoir of selection panel common sense.
Agree. The preparation is horrible. They cut the warm up games as they where basically getting roads to play on so it was a waste of time. My view is they need the players in camp here and just playing on pitches prepared for low bounce and spin. Pay to fly in some spin bowlers to bowl to them if needed. I am sure you could get some of the second string bowlers from India , Pakistan , Sri Lanka , Bangladesh etc maybe even have some of our spinners not just playing white ball cricket and actually spend a few months honing their red ball bowling.
It was annoying we let India dodge Perth last time around.
With Renshaw he had okay form 5 years ago but all his recent form has mainly been white ball stuff and a good season in this years Shield but hardly any against good spin bowling with a red ball.
The other issue is Lyon has to have bounce in the pitch. His biggest weapon is the extra bounce he gets on the balls that spin.

I'd like to see 5 games added to the Shield season, which must be played on a specially prepared dust bowl in the NT. Everyone plays everyone else once.

Obviously that won't happen
Would be too smart but it should happen.

What is the obsession with Travis Head who feasted on a forlorn powerhouse and one of the most underwhelming proteas lineups we've seen since the turn of the century.

Head is crap when the going gets tough, he is basically David Warner. Flat track bully who has a strong highlights reel that papers over his cracks. Maybe more Marcus North where it is feast or famine who bowls touch better useful part time spin.

Posted on the cricket forum last night that we have few few who would do the grind, score a 100 off 300 balls, think a Pujara, a Dravid of yesteryear. They all want to be flashy with the extravagant drives and s/r above 50. Warner occasionally digs in but even then he tends to get himself out more often than not when playing this way.

Alex Carey reverse sweeping from ball one is the best example, not only few credits in the bank to be doing this, it is fraught with danger for very little reward. Twice dismissed doing this shows it won't work against the best.

FWIW, I think our batters are better than England's bowlers (barring a Mark Wood/Joffra Archer shortball barrage) an Ashes win (or draw) in England would once again paper over the cracks of what is actually happening.

Not to mention that we have very few young guys pushing for Australian selection. That dad's army joke circa 2007 were some all time greats, this instalment has little credibility in comparison and Australia will be once again left in a predicament scrambling for batters capable of performing at international level.

FWIW (II), next test should see two changes even though we got spanked. Green for Renshaw and whichever way the pitch looks to play and change Boland who was non existent in his 17 overs. Be it another spinner (Swepson, Agar should never play test cricket again or Starc/Hazelwood who im not sure is even fit)

What is the obsession with Travis Head who feasted on a forlorn powerhouse and one of the most underwhelming proteas lineups we've seen since the turn of the century.

Head is crap when the going gets tough, he is basically David Warner. Flat track bully who has a strong highlights reel that papers over his cracks. Maybe more Marcus North where it is feast or famine who bowls touch better useful part time spin.

Posted on the cricket forum last night that we have few few who would do the grind, score a 100 off 300 balls, think a Pujara, a Dravid of yesteryear. They all want to be flashy with the extravagant drives and s/r above 50. Warner occasionally digs in but even then he tends to get himself out more often than not when playing this way.

Alex Carey reverse sweeping from ball one is the best example, not only few credits in the bank to be doing this, it is fraught with danger for very little reward. Twice dismissed doing this shows it won't work against the best.

FWIW, I think our batters are better than England's bowlers (barring a Mark Wood/Joffra Archer shortball barrage) an Ashes win (or draw) in England would once again paper over the cracks of what is actually happening.

Not to mention that we have very few young guys pushing for Australian selection. That dad's army joke circa 2007 were some all time greats, this instalment has little credibility in comparison and Australia will be once again left in a predicament scrambling for batters capable of performing at international level.

FWIW (II), next test should see two changes even though we got spanked. Green for Renshaw and whichever way the pitch looks to play and change Boland who was non existent in his 17 overs. Be it another spinner (Swepson, Agar should never play test cricket again or Starc/Hazelwood who im not sure is even fit)
I think part of the issue was we went too negative. I did not mind what Carey did. It was better than standing in the crease and trying to block with no foot movement and getting out LBW for 0 to 5. Not that it would have won them this game but another 50 runs by tacking a few risks takes some pressure off.

There are no bats around the world who want to grind out an innings. There is too much T20 in them. Renshaw was that type of bat when he first came into the side and they dropped him and told him to go away and learn how to score quicker. He ended up out of the QLD shield side.

The fact is India prepare wickets to suit them and good on them for doing so. It makes it virtually impossible to win their. The 1999-2008 side only managed 1 series win out of 4 attempts and that was a golden era side. There is no was we where going to do anything on that pitch as we do not prepare our bowlers or bats to play those conditions. There was no recent form or preparation.

England blasted India in the first test last year by chancing their luck and making 500 in Chennai but then fell in a hole and lost the next 3 by a lot.

Not sure how many cracks are being papered over. The simple fact is no one wins in India all that often in test cricket and the general batting standard in test match cricket around the world is not what it used to be because players coming through also focus on T20 cricket. No one has the answers to winning a series in India. Last winners of a series in India . England 2012/2013 season. Australia 2004/2005 season. South Africa 1999/200 season. They have won 13 series in a row at home.

They missed Starc as he swings the ball. Boland did what he does. Did not go for a lot of runs but got no movement. Agar was given a dud assignment. You can not pick a bloke who has spent 4 years playing mainly white ball cricket and first class cricket on non spinning decks and expect he can quickly step back into the style needed to play red ball cricket.

Head has improved a lot. His batting against a good SA attack was excellent and it was not just flat tracks. Not sure how he would have went on this pitch. The SA fast bowlers where as good as anyone including on the grass pitch in Brisbane. They lost because their batting sucked, their spinner could not turn it and their captain made a lot of questionable decisions during games. The fast bowling was really good apart from Rabada who was below his best.

The problem is you need to really prepare for India. And that means taking a squad into training camp and bringing in spin bowlers from overseas and paying them to bowl at the batters for 4 weeks. Pick somewhere in central Australia or WA where it is hot. Prepare some slow dust bowl wickets and play on the for 4 weeks. Same for the bowlers. Get them bowling to test match conditions. They had to forgo playing Big Bash.

The Big Bash needs the Australian players and it should be a late Dec / Jan comp so most years they can play but leading into India it should have been everyone into a 4 or 5 week camp with a couple of breaks to get back to family for a few days.

Have been a Warner fan but he should have retired after Sydney.

Last edited:
To be honest it is not a shock. Since 1996 we have played 25 tests in India for 4 wins 4 draws and 17 loses. For around 10 years we had the best test side in the world by a margin and only won 1 series out of four and won 3 tests drew 3 and lost 8.

I think part of the issue was we went too negative. I did not mind what Carey did. It was better than standing in the crease and trying to block with no foot movement and getting out LBW for 0 to 5. Not that it would have won them this game but another 50 runs by tacking a few risks takes some pressure off.

There are no bats around the world who want to grind out an innings. There is too much T20 in them. Renshaw was that type of bat when he first came into the side and they dropped him and told him to go away and learn how to score quicker. He ended up out of the QLD shield side.

The fact is India prepare wickets to suit them and good on them for doing so. It makes it virtually impossible to win their. The 1999-2008 side only managed 1 series win out of 4 attempts and that was a golden era side. There is no was we where going to do anything on that pitch as we do not prepare our bowlers or bats to play those conditions. There was no recent form or preparation.

England blasted India in the first test last year by chancing their luck and making 500 in Chennai but then fell in a hole and lost the next 3 by a lot.

Not sure how many cracks are being papered over. The simple fact is no one wins in India all that often in test cricket and the general batting standard in test match cricket around the world is not what it used to be because players coming through also focus on T20 cricket. No one has the answers to winning a series in India. Last winners of a series in India . England 2012/2013 season. Australia 2004/2005 season. South Africa 1999/200 season. They have won 13 series in a row at home.

They missed Starc as he swings the ball. Boland did what he does. Did not go for a lot of runs but got no movement. Agar was given a dud assignment. You can not pick a bloke who has spent 4 years playing mainly white ball cricket and first class cricket on non spinning decks and expect he can quickly step back into the style needed to play red ball cricket.

Head has improved a lot. His batting against a good SA attack was excellent and it was not just flat tracks. Not sure how he would have went on this pitch. The SA fast bowlers where as good as anyone including on the grass pitch in Brisbane. They lost because their batting sucked, their spinner could not turn it and their captain made a lot of questionable decisions during games. The fast bowling was really good apart from Rabada who was below his best.

The problem is you need to really prepare for India. And that means taking a squad into training camp and bringing in spin bowlers from overseas and paying them to bowl at the batters for 4 weeks. Pick somewhere in central Australia or WA where it is hot. Prepare some slow dust bowl wickets and play on the for 4 weeks. Same for the bowlers. Get them bowling to test match conditions. They had to forgo playing Big Bash.

The Big Bash needs the Australian players and it should be a late Dec / Jan comp so most years they can play but leading into India it should have been everyone into a 4 or 5 week camp with a couple of breaks to get back to family for a few days.

Have been a Warner fan but he should have retired after Sydney.

The funny thing is that the golden generation basically refused to play a game suited to India. Arrogance was clearly a pretty big part of that (exemplified by that follow on but also Warne tending not to adapt the way he bowled).

It was a Ponting-less, Gilchrist led side that won bowling stump to stump with Kasper who wasn't the 3rd best seamer in the country.

We actually know how to beat India these days. Being average forced us to learn the lessons but we're refusing to prepare.

The batting displays of this Aussie side are reminiscent of the sides of the 1980ā€™s but they donā€™t have Allan Border to save the day
I think they went into...if in doubt sweep against spin mode. And that did not work and they were too slow to change. The Indian's did not sweep.

Any chance we can re-hire Justin Langer and just fire the players he pissed off and the general leadership of Cricket Australia into the sun?

All I can think of is Langer in 'The Test' saying
' 'This isn't suiting my f---ing style,' no worries. It will suit your style when we don't have f---ing 20 batting collapses every time we play for Australia."...

Langer had them winning an Ashes series away and a T20 world cup in the sub continent, then the players getting him sacked cause they didn't like his style...
And now look where we are - More ******* batting collapses against half good teams away from home.

I honestly care less about the current Australian Cricket team than at any other time in my life. The most self-entitled group of athletes I have ever seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back