Opinion The I Was Wrong thread- Where Tom Atkins posts go to die

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought we paid overs for Cameron, thought Zac was a lost cause, thought Close and Atkins were just list cloggers and thought we wouldn’t see another premiership under Chris Scott.

I was wrong and I’m so happy about it

Last edited:
I'm usually a very optimistic supporter but geez I was wrong too.
Preseason I had us as an "also ran", playing finals sure but not much else. MAYBE sneak into the top 4.
I had Zuthrie on the delist pile.
I had Kolo and Atkins out of the team.
I thought Stengle could, maybe, play 12-15 games and a goal a game for the year and been a good season.
I had SDK nowhere near the AFL.
Although bullish about his future I didn't have Holmes as a lock and one of the best wings in the comp.
Hawkins, SELWOOD, Danger, Smith, Tuohy, Duncan.. all over the hill and unlikely to replicate any decent form.

Wowee. Blown most of us away with him emphatic their domination was.
Absolute marvel of a club.

I was wrong about Ollie Dempsey. Long way still to go with his career. I thought he had talent but just thought he was way to avoidant of any body contact to make it. His contested marking last night showed more preparedness to collide than I thought he had in him.
Ditto 🙋🏼‍♂️

I was wrong about Ollie Dempsey. Long way still to go with his career. I thought he had talent but just thought he was way to avoidant of any body contact to make it. His contested marking last night showed more preparedness to collide than I thought he had in him.
Yup. Me too. I didn’t think he was soft, more worried that he didn’t get into the game. He’s now doing that brilliantly.

Put him in the Zuthrie file - good footballer in need of a footballer’s body.

I'll join the group too.
Had hope, as like u said he showed glimpses of class and flash but to me didn't look like the player who could impact a contest like he did yesterday.
Early days but happy to concede I'm wrong already, and he might just make me look stupid in a few more years.

I thought we paid overs for Cameron, thought Zac was a lost cause, thought Close and Atkinson were just list cloggers and thought we wouldn’t see another premiership under Chris Scott.

I was wrong and I’m so happy about it
We did pay overs for cameron. His value when we drafted him doesnt change after the fact. He was coming off a poor year and was suffering from injury issues.

Edit - just realised this is a 2 year old post. Has it really been this long since anyone has posted here? I guess we are rarely wrong now :)

We did pay overs for cameron. His value when we drafted him doesnt change after the fact. He was coming off a poor year and was suffering from injury issues.

Edit - just realised this is a 2 year old post. Has it really been this long since anyone has posted here? I guess we are rarely wrong now :)
Yeah took me a while to find the thread

Appropriately posted in the I was wrong thread.

I dont think I ever gave Dempsey the Tijuana Brass in terms of making it - but I certainly didnt think he have an effort like Sat night with a BOG and Rising star type game this soon. credit to him for pushing hard and sticking his head right in there and making it happen.

Stengle had a rough game in the flood of defenders but he and Close have another wanting to feed at the F50 trough now.
Good to have competition at positions and its a long season.

Well done OD and yup - i was wrong about you getting here this fast.

GO Catters

I'll join the group too.
Had hope, as like u said he showed glimpses of class and flash but to me didn't look like the player who could impact a contest like he did yesterday.
Early days but happy to concede I'm wrong already, and he might just make me look stupid in a few more years.
So I was obviously NOT wrong about Ollie (having lead his bandwagon charge - with others - since he arrives) but I absolutely DID understand why people had reservations - in particular about the contest.

There is no doubt he does not (and I am not 100% sure ever will) engage in ground ball contests…but I don’t think because he worries about getting hurt or anything - he seems to just think it is better to try and be a bit “clever” with a tap on/back or even just create space for someone to get him the ball. It can look terrible at times (when it doesn’t work and we scream “go get the ball”) but I think that actually is just the flip side of one of his “super powers” - which is to create space.

Even just in a small sample size Saturday - his first goal the two Ollie’s were in similar position and Henry went to the ball to receive from Danger and Dempsey faded away from the incoming ball to receive the next one…First play of second qtr he again separated at perfect time for Tanner to get him the handball for a side step and then an unbelievable delivery to Close…and then in last qtr he was “nearby” but “running away” from the contest 3 times - each time getting in a better position for someone to get him the ball - Henry “missed him” but then Mannagh (in a veteran play) bobbed the ball to him for a great cross to 2E for goal.

Anyway I say that not to rub it in to people who didn’t “buy him” but indeed to say parts of his game will always be a bit frustrating (ground ball contest, left side!!, avoiding contest) but I think will be massively outweighed by those leaping into marks and seemingly being by himself all the time - on top of being very clever

So I was obviously NOT wrong about Ollie (having lead his bandwagon charge - with others - since he arrives) but I absolutely DID understand why people had reservations - in particular about the contest.

There is no doubt he does not (and I am not 100% sure ever will) engage in ground ball contests…but I don’t think because he worries about getting hurt or anything - he seems to just think it is better to try and be a bit “clever” with a tap on/back or even just create space for someone to get him the ball. It can look terrible at times (when it doesn’t work and we scream “go get the ball”) but I think that actually is just the flip side of one of his “super powers” - which is to create space.

Even just in a small sample size Saturday - his first goal the two Ollie’s were in similar position and Henry went to the ball to receive from Danger and Dempsey faded away from the incoming ball to receive the next one…First play of second qtr he again separated at perfect time for Tanner to get him the handball for a side step and then an unbelievable delivery to Close…and then in last qtr he was “nearby” but “running away” from the contest 3 times - each time getting in a better position for someone to get him the ball - Henry “missed him” but then Mannagh (in a veteran play) bobbed the ball to him for a great cross to 2E for goal.

Anyway I say that not to rub it in to people who didn’t “buy him” but indeed to say parts of his game will always be a bit frustrating (ground ball contest, left side!!, avoiding contest) but I think will be massively outweighed by those leaping into marks and seemingly being by himself all the time - on top of being very clever
Love these reflections. Saturday night showed how genuinely clever he really is - both in terms of how he creates space and how he uses the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was wrong to take the piss out of Norm for his miss in the '16 QF.
I was wrong to nearly vomit at the thought of his recruitment.

But I am glad he did miss. The first of 4 consecutive finals losses for them lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back