The key to beating Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

We plod along the boundary line, A kicks to B, B kicks to C, its like safety first.

We need to to encourage lots of run from behind, modern attacking footy with quick handball, setting up a runner who can deliver to potentially a top four forward line. (see Geelong)

We need to to encourage lots of run from behind, modern attacking footy with quick handball, setting up a runner who can deliver to potentially a top four forward line. (see Geelong)

This is the key. Tactics like huddles and long kicks down the middle are OK as a change up option but it is the run and usage from the back half which sets up a good kick in. Whether it is a perception thing or not, we seem to lack energy at kick in time.

100% agree that's why I said earlier, that we seem to be missing Adcock's run that we had last year, and now without Drummond, we just don't get any penetration through the middle from the backline.

We plod along the boundary line, A kicks to B, B kicks to C, its like safety first.

I watched the Geelong/Sydney game on the box on Saturday arvo and what impressed me about Geelong was their system with kick-ins.

A common theme was a relatively short kick to a receiver, not out near the boundary or even on an acute angle but pretty much up the centre or on a "small" angle (hope that makes sense).....with one or more secondary runners going past on the "inside"(at pace) to receive another handball .

The result is most effective.....a wave of runners going straight up the ground through CHB.

Of course, success is contingent in the foot skills of the kicker-inner being of a high enough standard to find that first receiver ,there being little margin for error if he stuffs it up.

I guess Geelong's foot skills are of the highest order overall....not to mention their confidence in one another.

But it just seemed like a nice simple, yet highly effective way of launching an attack up the "corridor":thumbsu:

While I will admit that this is a weekly concern for us, this week the hawks have to take a lot of credit. Their zone defence was set up amazingly quickly after each miss and it moved with the play. I sat back and watched this after every behind and there was litterally no option that you could safely take 'up the middle'. I'm under the impression that even if we had Drummo out there this week he still would have gone to the flanks every kickin as well.

We need to take a leaf out of the hawks book because it was very impressive...

Yeah I think we're also missing a big CHB target who can take a mark and set up forward plays like leppa used to. It limits us to kicking to the boundary line players and teams have caught on and setting up their zones accordingly.

I miss Drummond, His long 60+ meter pin point passes from the kick-ins.

Was it just me or was that Merret's worst game in a long time?

Worst. I would be interested in knowing just how many of his possessions result in a clanger. If he is so great to coach, then please coach him to stop turning the thing over.

I did write that down. I think it was TJ 2, JMac 3, Merrett 2, Brennan 1 of the 8 that I recorded.

But I'd have to double check that.

Close. Take 1 off Travis, it was taken by Power actually.

Who took the kick-in that sailed OOB on the full at the "School" end? From memory, the intended target was JMac (on the southern side) but the pill lobbed over his head and landed out by about 2 metres!!!

Whoever it was, it ended up another hawks goal.

There were 2 from 50 metre penalties, at least 3 from Brennan's poor length kicking from the back and another one from Charman's ridiculous, blind overhead handball.

That's 7 goals from errors that I can remember without really trying hard.

No wonder we lost:(

PS. is there anyone else here that thinks that Corrie was hard done by when conceding that first 50?

I swear Roughead ran at least a metre off the line off his mark to his left looking for a passing option, so Corrie also moved in the same direction and in doing so, crossed the mark,according to the Ump.

I thought they were red hot on players moving off the line off the mark being called to "play on" and I"m sure that's what Corrie was expecting the Ump to call.

It annoys me that some Umpires seem so intent on policing where the defender is in relation to the mark that they often lose track entirely of what the man with the pill is doing.

Have I got a point here or am I "off the mark"?

For all those opposition scouts out there, I am going to give away the secret to beating us:

Kick a behind.

You will get a shot on goal 20 seconds later, more or less in front. :mad:

I thought we played very well for the majority of the night and the signs are there, but FFS we struggle to find 2 consecutive targets kicking out after a behind. It is a major pet hate of mine. We have been the worst side in the comp clearing the ball from defense for a couple of years but nothing has changed. We kick it to a man in the pocket and then can't go any further. Someone pick the ****ing thing up after a behind and get it in quickly.

The worse thing is opposition teams clear it from their kick-ins so easily against us.

I reckon we conceeded about 20 points tonight due directly from turning it over after a kick-in.

Couldn't agree more- frustrates the hell out of me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back