" The Last Dance "

Remove this Banner Ad

Comparison posts and discussion regarding Michael Jordan vs Lebron/Lebrone James are now contained here

WELCOME TO THE LAST DANCE

last-dance.jpg

Last edited:

It's interesting that since this doco a lot of people have swapped back to Jordan from Le Bron.
The more you watch you realise it's just like any sport, the current era is a higher level and any talk of defenses being tougher in the old days, etc. is just that, talk and nothing else. Not enough to make me change my GOAT from MJ to LeBron but definitely an eye opener to what the actual reality is

The more you watch you realise it's just like any sport, the current era is a higher level and any talk of defenses being tougher in the old days, etc. is just that, talk and nothing else. Not enough to make me change my GOAT from MJ to LeBron but definitely an eye opener to what the actual reality is
Normally I avoid Simmons, but listening to his last pod with russillo, made me realise just how much the game has changed.

Everything about it is completely different, defense, offensive sets.

The 98 finals were a half court battle of 2 teams who played deep into the shot clock on every possession. All the stars were in their mid 30s, the spacing was non existent, and guys like Rodman - who would be ignored today - were actively being guarded

10 years out so later we had the 7SOL sun's and now they would be a middle of the road pace.

Throw in training, dietary, sleep, cryotherapy, surgery and all the other advances.

Add in depth, with the volume of European talent. Salary cap and freedom of player movement have exploded too.

Superstars just didn't leave their teams, now there are barely any one club players

Everything has changed.

Normally I avoid Simmons, but listening to his last pod with russillo, made me realise just how much the game has changed.

Everything about it is completely different, defense, offensive sets.

The 98 finals were a half court battle of 2 teams who played deep into the shot clock on every possession. All the stars were in their mid 30s, the spacing was non existent, and guys like Rodman - who would be ignored today - were actively being guarded

10 years out so later we had the 7SOL sun's and now they would be a middle of the road pace.

Throw in training, dietary, sleep, cryotherapy, surgery and all the other advances.

Add in depth, with the volume of European talent. Salary cap and freedom of player movement have exploded too.

Superstars just didn't leave their teams, now there are barely any one club players

Everything has changed.
Taylor-2.jpg

I saw that Longley felt he didn't feel the need to comment on it. Apparently it's just his understated nature.

Longley was a guest on Mark Howards podcast (The Howie games) a few years ago and it's worth a listen.

From that interview it's obvious that he is a private man and towards the end of the interview it appears he has mental health issues but he wouldn't elaborate further when asked.

The Longley aliases are brilliant

I don't mind him but understand if people wouldn't be able to, I wonder how long he has gone without mentioning that the 86' Celtics are the best team ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's across all sports now.

20 years ago premierships, championships and rings were hardly mentioned when people compared athletes.

Some people don't rate Nathan Buckley with Hird and Voss because he couldn't win himself a premiership.

AFL and NBA are a bit different when it comes down to winning rings though.

Obviously an NBA player can influence a game (when there are only 5 players on the court) more than an AFL player (who has 18 players on the field).

Winning has always been important for NBA players. I mean look at Bill Russel's stats vs Wilts. It's a no brainer that Wilt's numbers are better, but, at worst, people have them about the same on the all time list.

Any other player that has been considered for being towards the top of all time lists has also been a winner. Magic, Bird, Kareem, Shaq etc.

Then the guys that didn't win (much) are a tier below. e.g. West, Oscar, Erving etc.

20 years ago premierships, championships and rings were hardly mentioned when people compared athletes.

Some people don't rate Nathan Buckley with Hird and Voss because he couldn't win himself a premiership.

And when talking NBA championships, well MJ has 6.....but Bill Russell has 11! Going by that metric....

+1 for the Howie podcast with Luc Longley. Its a great listen for bit over an hour, and you get a lot more from Longley than the handful of soundbites the other Bulls from 96-99 are getting in the doco.

Its the eve of the last 2 episodes and I really hope they show us more behind the scenes footage. The game highlights are everywhere. I don't need to watch Jordan strip Malone in the low post then go up the other end to hit "that shot" for the millionth time. I came into this doco hearing that we'd see the raw footage of Jordan being a complete campaigner to his teammates, but after 8 episodes I can barely fault him. I guess anything really nasty Jordan made the producers edit it out. Just wish we saw how savage he was to his teammates at practice, the way he treated Krause, etc.

I feel a bit sorry for Pippen. He had a tough upbringing, wanted to look after his family so agreed to that long-term contract that severely undervalued his talents. He watched lesser teammates around him earn more money, knew he would never get out of Jordans shadow. And when Jordan retires allowing Scottie to be the clutch man in big games, Phil Jackson ran the play for young kid Kukoc. No way if Jordan was on the team would Jackson run the play for someone else. It was Michael, and then if someone else was wide open then plan b pass it off. Scotties in the moment tantrum is understandable IMO. Undervalued, underappreciated, and then the ball taken out of his hands for a younger less experienced player to hit the game winner.

Then after Jordan returns the GM tested the open market to trade Pippen if a good offer came along. It was like 1 hit after the next really. Pippen delaying his surgery during the post-season of 98 meaning he missed a huge part of the last dance season shows he still struggled with feeling valued within that organization. Its understandable too.

Interestingly, the player voted best on ground for the 2002 GF, was Voss's opponent, Buckley

Its the eve of the last 2 episodes and I really hope they show us more behind the scenes footage. The game highlights are everywhere. I don't need to watch Jordan strip Malone in the low post then go up the other end to hit "that shot" for the millionth time. I came into this doco hearing that we'd see the raw footage of Jordan being a complete campaigner to his teammates, but after 8 episodes I can barely fault him. I guess anything really nasty Jordan made the producers edit it out. Just wish we saw how savage he was to his teammates at practice, the way he treated Krause, etc.
I've seen enough so far in the 8 eps to get that he could be a hard ass to his team mates during practice, and that he was vindictive to Krause
I feel a bit sorry for Pippen. He had a tough upbringing, wanted to look after his family so agreed to that long-term contract that severely undervalued his talents. He watched lesser teammates around him earn more money, knew he would never get out of Jordans shadow. And when Jordan retires allowing Scottie to be the clutch man in big games, Phil Jackson ran the play for young kid Kukoc. No way if Jordan was on the team would Jackson run the play for someone else. It was Michael, and then if someone else was wide open then plan b pass it off. Scotties in the moment tantrum is understandable IMO. Undervalued, underappreciated, and then the ball taken out of his hands for a younger less experienced player to hit the game winner.
The fact was though, that Jordan wasn't there, Jackson wanted Kukoc to take the shot, and he nailed it. Can't fault him for that.
Pippen's dummy spit said more about him than anyone else.
And yeah, he was underpaid when at the Bulls, but he somewhat made up for it at Houston and Portland. It's not like he's struggling these days.

There was more talk about Jordans eyes this week after the episodes aired.

Some people suggest it might be related to health issues with his liver.

ah didnt know that. had to google it.

"This style of clothing became popular in African-American, Latino, Italian American, and Filipino American communities during the 1940s"
Eat some bread northy

And Jim Carey in The Mask.

Wonder what inspired MJ and Pip to go down that path. Guess they can and could do anything they want and get away with it. Bloody hell, seeing it everywhere now (googling it).

Didnt realise Carey wore that in the mask, ill have to have a look.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back