The Laver Cup

What do we think of this?

2 teams of 6 of Europe v Rest of the world.

3 singles + 1 doubles each day with the tie to be decided by a sudden death doubles if its a draw at the end of 3 days.

Held in late September except in Olympic Years with no points but substantial prize money on offer to the players. 4 spots decided by ranking with 2 to be wild card slots handed out by team captains.

Presuming top 6 from both sides ranking wise make it then the teams would be

Europe: Joker, Murray, Fed, Nadal, Stan and Berdych

World: Nishikori, Isner, Anderson, Roanic, Tomic and Sock

Europeans would romp it in currently.

Thoughts?

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Is this your own concept or something that is happening? Is this to replace Davis cup or is that staying?

I like the sound of it anyways. Though in September after the us open seems crowded. Tennis schedule is full though.

Is this your own concept or something that is happening? Is this to replace Davis cup or is that staying?

I like the sound of it anyways. Though in September after the us open seems crowded. Tennis schedule is full though.
Its a real thing. Mobile is being difficult and won't let me post links to articles. Just google Laver Cup.

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Oh so this is what Laver Cup is that they mentioned post match tonight.
I don't know, still prefer traditional tennis can't get into Fast4.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Players don't play Davis cup ATM, so why would they play this????

$$$$$$

That's why they will play. Davis Cup means very little unless you are in the semis/final. Why bother when you can rest up and prepare for Slams.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I don't mind the concept but I think the Calender is full. We have the Grand Slams, Davis Cup, end of year Championships.

Unfortunately anyone playing this will probably play one or two less regular events. We are lucky in Australia that our tournaments lead into a Grand Slam so we get a good field but some regular events will lose good players.

Players don't play Davis cup ATM, so why would they play this????

Are the women included in any potential plans.

Sounds good, but won't be a thing

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk
Women aren't included and its already a thing.

Also to those saying its fast 4 where's that?

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I like it, but Not as fast 4; if anything I'd much prefer it be 5 sets.
Also, that Europe team would wipe the floor with the ROW. If Tomic qualifies....

In the modern era does anyone remember a time where Europe wouldn't have won comfortably? I can only really think of the Sampras, Agassi and Courier years.

In the modern era does anyone remember a time where Europe wouldn't have won comfortably? I can only really think of the Sampras, Agassi and Courier years.
When it was Kuerten, Hewitt, Agassi, Roddick roating the number one?

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Have they announced whereabouts in the world the Laver Cup will be held?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PAT Cash says the newly proposed tennis teams event named after all-time great Rod Laver could struggle for credibility.

The exhibition tournament is to be played over a September weekend in non-Olympic years but Cash doubts whether the world’s best players will sign up.

He also suggests the tournament that would suffer most would be the Davis Cup.

“I like the concept but I don’t know if players will take it seriously,” Cash said.

“The concept is a great idea, but it’s after the US Open and the Davis Cup (semi-finals). It’s stuck in the middle of a tournament.

“With the Davis Cup struggling in some places in the world, I’m not sure we need another tournament to squeeze in.”

v1

Tennis Australia joined with Roger Federer’s management company Team8 and former Davis Cup player and billionaire Jorge Paulo Lemann on Friday to launch the Laver Cup.

The event hopes to pit the best six European players against six players from the rest of the world.

Nick Kyrgios, who on the ATP rankings at the time of the announcement was the seventh-highest ranked non-European, agreed with Cash.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/t...n/news-story/633bdcc42ff7256e4d68ec529194fda8

ChookMFC

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
This "Europe vs the rest of the world" thing is nonsense. There's more chance of rivalry and meaning by making European nations compete against one another than there would be any kind of camaraderie against the non-Europeans. Similarly, Canada vs US, Aus vs UK, etc are far more likely to be interesting than lumping them all together as some fake superteam with no historical ties.

ozgamer

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
This is a vanity project devised by Fed and his agent for Fed's best friend, Laver, no less. (Seriously, get a room you two)

Back