The Lego Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The VW Combi van is the only set I have done with no numbers. What made it worse is the instruction manual is printed with off colours so a light grey is actually dark, dark grey is black etc. Was a nightmare to sort through, luckily the build was awesome.
Yep, that's the biggest issue with building older sets IMO (and being colourblind). I've messed up many Technic builds by confusing the greys and black.

Some of the newer "adults only" (LOL) sets apparently have instructions on a black background (like Architecture sets) which make it harder to discern colours. Not sure why they've done that, as surely they use more ink?

The VW Combi van is the only set I have done with no numbers. What made it worse is the instruction manual is printed with off colours so a light grey is actually dark, dark grey is black etc. Was a nightmare to sort through, luckily the build was awesome.

Yeah, Emerald Night train is the same. Palette of black, brown, dark grey, grey and dark green.
Always end up having to pull it down half way through and swap out a black for a dark grey.
1600665872716.png

Yeah, Emerald Night train is the same. Palette of black, brown, dark grey, grey and dark green.
Always end up having to pull it down half way through and swap out a black for a dark grey.
View attachment 966916
Probably top of my list of sets I wish I'd bought when they were released. Is it as good as it looks?

Two Ideas sets - Ship in a Bottle and Saturn V - are apparently set for a re-release by Lego. They'll have new set numbers but I don't know whether they'll be amended in anyway. An interesting decision.

If you could get one Lego set re-released which one would it be?

Probably top of my list of sets I wish I'd bought when they were released. Is it as good as it looks?

Two Ideas sets - Ship in a Bottle and Saturn V - are apparently set for a re-release by Lego. They'll have new set numbers but I don't know whether they'll be amended in anyway. An interesting decision.

I'm not a massive train guy. Don't have enough track pieces for a good layout. Plus my track pieces spac 3 different Lego generations and I don't think they interconnect well. It's not powered, but it's designed to be retrofitted with power components (IR) pretty easily. The center section of the engine tank lifts out and has all the pieces needed to secure the power components. It's nice enough looking though. When you get the colours right in the build anyway :p

Hmm, that's a tough one. There's two I missed out on but really wanted when I was a kid. So probably them. They're the ones that spring to mind now anyway.
1600667092531.png 1600667112061.png

Lego today announced release dates for 10275 Elf Clubhouse (1/10 and 23/9 for VIP, $150) and 75318 The Child (30/10, $120). The latter is available for pre-order in most other markets but won't be here. I suspect both will sell out quickly, although 75318 is likely to be available in stores hopefully in time for the Black Friday sales.

The dilemma at this time of the year is the timing and availability of the Christmas GWPs. These are only rumours at the moment and there is no indication of release or purchase thresholds. They could include some of the seasonal sets already disclosed including 40425 BrickHeadz Nutcracker, 40426 Christmas Wreath (2-in-1), 854037 Santa Ornament, 854037 Reindeer Ornament and 854050 Snowman and Reindeer.

Just a quick heads up in case you're not already across this. The majors all have school holiday sales on now at around 20% off, more in some cases. The sets I wanted were generally cheaper in Big W as the discount is off normal sale price not RRP. But shop around, the discounts are not uniform.

Annoyingly the premium sets are excluded from most of the action, but keep an eye out. It was possible, for example, to get Hogwarts at more than 20% off.

Also Amazon match most, but not all, prices so check there too.

Stock levels seem low just about everywhere, so be prepared to do a lot of running around :(.

Brilliant that you have these, well done. My modular collection only goes back as far as the Detective's Office.

I do quite like the modular kits. The older ones don't have the whimsy of the more recent ones, but they're still fun designs and builds, and look good once done.

I've also got the Grand Emporium and the Firestation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems Christmas GWP 40410, A Christmas Carol, is/has been available in Australian certified stores, but not yet on lego.com. No word on when that might be. Requires a $200 purchase in NZ, so will be close to that here. Tough when there's almost nothing in stock.

Also until 20 October there's double VIP points at lego.com, so if there is something you're hankering for that hasn't been available in recent sales, might be a good time to get in.

Amazon Prime days for 2020 are 13 and 14 October. In the past they have had up to 50% off the odd set, so watch out for that.

It would be very hard to go past:
1602118931013.png

However - from personal project perspective - I'd buy multiples of this one (or the 2001 re-release)......along with the Black Falcons Fortress (with the Yellow timber frame wall panels); but if the Guarded Inn below came out again I'd be picking up at least 5 or 6.:
1602119166030.png

I bought the Lego Super Mario starter kit off Amazon a couple of weeks back and it finally arrived today. I really like that digital manual that comes with it and hope it's not too much to ask from Lego for their bigger sets to receive the same treatment. It's really handy being able to manipulate the instructions to get a better look at the model for where pieces should be going.

I bought the Lego Super Mario starter kit off Amazon a couple of weeks back and it finally arrived today. I really like that digital manual that comes with it and hope it's not too much to ask from Lego for their bigger sets to receive the same treatment. It's really handy being able to manipulate the instructions to get a better look at the model for where pieces should be going.
Personally I much prefer a book, but I can see the attraction. There are digital instructions (I think they're called Instructions Plus or similar) on the Lego Life app for some new sets. I've never used them but they are apparently also animated.

Anyone manage to get hold of The Child (75318), released today (30 October)? I checked on Lego.com this morning and it said "coming soon". Now it says "temporarily out of stock". The good news is this does seem to be on general release - K Mart are advertising at $99, also "coming soon".

123 Sesame St due for release on the 1st. Expecting the same to happen :(.

I think this will be an exclusive for a little while, like the Batmobile was. Good news is, it is currently still in stock at Lego online.

I'm in no rush, I don't think it'll be as popular as the Batmobile was. That said Lego has been selling out a lot more during the pandemic so what do I know ? :p

I thought it was out "today", I checked my email yesterday and found I could have purchased it on the 21st being a VIP member (assuming I got in first of course).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back