Movie The Matrix Resurrections

Remove this Banner Ad

I enjoyed it. It's as much of a reboot of the original movie as a sequel. I liked the set up where Thomas Anderson is now a game designer who invented the Matrix. After that the story wasn't particularly strong. But it didn't get bogged down with long CGI sentinel battles and slow motion rave scenes that detracted from the previous sequels. I liked the ball bearing characters and the people bombs - the big robot bird not so much. There's a short post credits scene but it wouldn't be worth sitting in the cinema for 10 minutes to watch it.

6/10

Watched it last night, and I thought it was pretty ordinary. Felt it was a bit hard to follow at times.
Bit of a let down TBH.
Maybe needs another watching, similar to the original movies.

The original Matrix was one of my fav movies. I really tried to like this, I really did but sadly I just couldn't.
It felt cheesy and cliched.
They just couldn't capture the magic of the original again and watching anything past that, the series just gets worse with each title pretty much.

I read the snyposis of this and found that pretty boring, so highly doubt I'll watch, but for those that have seen it, did they retcon it with Keanu now having created the program?

What program? He starts the movie back in the new Matrix thinking that hes a video game designer of the original matrix movies before he is freed again...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It could've been interesting if they kept the suspense plot of whether the Matrix was actually real. Because what better way of convincing everyone the Matrix is fantasy than to make a video game or movie trilogy about it?

In Star Trek TNG there was an episode where a character was tricked into thinking he exited the simulation into reality but he actually just emerged into another simulation. They could have done that.

Once I saw how bad the choreography was, and they hit Zion , and the low stakes of getting Trinity, I lost interest.

I actually enjoyed it. I think you want a mix of old and new characters so I didn't hate not having Fishburne and Weaving, and rather liked all of the new characters, in particular the blue haired woman who I may be in love with.

To me it reminded me of Star Wars Episode 7. Lots of fan service. Cool new characters (at least in my opinion) and great action.

Having said that, I now hate Episode 7 because of what that sequel trilogy became. I hope they just leave this at that.

It was okay, I little laughable with Doogie Howser
as the big bad.
I know they needed the flashbacks for the story but I couldn't help thinking two things when they were showing the original, how inferior the rest are and how I wished I was watching the original one.

so been reading that it's not that good....so I torrented the damn thing in 4K

a bit trashy to start off...about the only positive thing I can say about it is Neo has the sense to use a vertical mouse, like I do.

(Evoluent, lefty)

Evoluent_VML4_Mouse_2048x2048.png

onto more trash...

EDIT: and vertical monitors...LOL, been using my 2nd monitor in portrait mode for years...world finally caught up...

Last edited:
Wow. What a steaming pile of shyte.

So many plot holes, and things trying to retcon the original that it showed utter disrespect to the creativity of the first film - something of which it tried to dull viewers into believing it was akin to, given the amount of stock footage and references to the original. If anything it helped draw comparisons to how good the original was and how much of a dumpster fire this was.

The "transitioning" of the ability to fly from Neo to Trinity was an obvious, and terrible reference to both Wachowski brothers finding their wings by transitioning into females themselves. Narrative wise, it made absolutely no sense and compromised the arc of Neo being "the One" - which is what the whole original trilogy was underpinned by. So, so dumb.

Love also how they thought being "meta" and self-referential that discussions of another installment of the Matrix was a cash grab would somehow add humour. If anything, it was simply a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Oh, and don't get me started on that annoying character "Bugs". Was I the only one who had trouble understanding WTF she was saying most of the time?

During her initial scene with Morpheus dressed as an agent at the beginning of the film, I had absolutely NFI what she was saying. She spoke waaaay too fast, and her thick accent made it near impossible to make out her dialogue - something that was already shitful to try and hear as it was already drowned out by the explosions and music dialed all the way up to 11.

It literally got to the point where after rewinding thrice to try and make out hersetencesthatwerespokenasiftheywereoneword, that I had to turn on the captions. That set the tone for the rest of the film that just dragged, and took a massive pile of s**t on the original films.

Oh, and why not allow Laurence Fisburne to return? Numerous articles have quoted him as saying he has no idea why he wasn't asked to return to the film. If I was to guess, it would be that he said something relating to Lana or her sister that didn't sit well. To not have such an integral character return was another massive cross.

The only thing that actually reminded me I was watching a Matrix film was that Keanu and Moss were in it. Remove them, and it becomes a cheap knock-off film and a cheap imitation.

1/5 stars (simply for seeing Keanu and Moss return for nostalgias sake).

Wow. What a steaming pile of sh*te.

So many plot holes, and things trying to retcon the original that it showed utter disrespect to the creativity of the first film - something of which it tried to dull viewers into believing it was akin to, given the amount of stock footage and references to the original. If anything it helped draw comparisons to how good the original was and how much of a dumpster fire this was.

The "transitioning" of the ability to fly from Neo to Trinity was an obvious, and terrible reference to both Wachowski brothers finding their wings by transitioning into females themselves. Narrative wise, it made absolutely no sense and compromised the arc of Neo being "the One" - which is what the whole original trilogy was underpinned by. So, so dumb.

Love also how they thought being "meta" and self-referential that discussions of another installment of the Matrix was a cash grab would somehow add humour. If anything, it was simply a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Oh, and don't get me started on that annoying character "Bugs". Was I the only one who had trouble understanding WTF she was saying most of the time?

During her initial scene with Morpheus dressed as an agent at the beginning of the film, I had absolutely NFI what she was saying. She spoke waaaay too fast, and her thick accent made it near impossible to make out her dialogue - something that was already shitful to try and hear as it was already drowned out by the explosions and music dialed all the way up to 11.

It literally got to the point where after rewinding thrice to try and make out hersetencesthatwerespokenasiftheywereoneword, that I had to turn on the captions. That set the tone for the rest of the film that just dragged, and took a massive pile of sh*t on the original films.

Oh, and why not allow Laurence Fisburne to return? Numerous articles have quoted him as saying he has no idea why he wasn't asked to return to the film. If I was to guess, it would be that he said something relating to Lana or her sister that didn't sit well. To not have such an integral character return was another massive cross.

The only thing that actually reminded me I was watching a Matrix film was that Keanu and Moss were in it. Remove them, and it becomes a cheap knock-off film and a cheap imitation.

1/5 stars (simply for seeing Keanu and Moss return for nostalgias sake).
Bugs is played by Jessica Henwick who is English... she had no accent?

Also he was never "the one" as made clear in the original trilogy there were a bunch of "ones" before him, if anything having the power of the one split between two actually makes his (and her) arc much more unique. Of course thats only my opinion but yours is just a little strange. Were you this upset when the architect told Neo very explicit about the ones who came before him?

As for the speculation about why no Fishburne can we only assume the Weaving also made some off color crack about the Wachoskis? Would seem very out of character for the man who wore drag in a film but given its the only guess you can make it must have been that.

Bugs is played by Jessica Henwick who is English... she had no accent?

Also he was never "the one" as made clear in the original trilogy there were a bunch of "ones" before him, if anything having the power of the one split between two actually makes his (and her) arc much more unique. Of course thats only my opinion but yours is just a little strange. Were you this upset when the architect told Neo very explicit about the ones who came before him?

As for the speculation about why no Fishburne can we only assume the Weaving also made some off color crack about the Wachoskis? Would seem very out of character for the man who wore drag in a film but given its the only guess you can make it must have been that.

I am referring to Bugs' thick English accent. She spoke at the speed of light, and almost in an out of breath/whisper tone that was super annoying and made it super hard to discern what she was saying. Go back and watch the scene where she is in the room with Morpheus and recognizes Tom Anderson's desk, and details when she started questioning her existence - it was as if they had sped up her dialogue.

Strange? The issue isn't anything related to the fact that there were other "ones" before Neo, that was built into the original source material. A singular person being the "one", not two co-existing. No qualms. The issue is they have virtually retconned the original premise that Neo was the one, and now magically Trinity has his powers... with no indication of this in the original trilogy... and now TWO share the power of the ONE without any explanation? And they can't use the excuse that it is because of their bond and love for eachother, as that was a big cornerstone of their character arc in the original. Sloppy writing.

I read that regarding Weaving not returning it was due to unavailability as he was involved with another production at the time of filming. But who knows!

I am referring to Bugs' thick English accent. She spoke at the speed of light, and almost in an out of breath/whisper tone that was super annoying and made it super hard to discern what she was saying. Go back and watch the scene where she is in the room with Morpheus and recognizes Tom Anderson's desk, and details when she started questioning her existence - it was as if they had sped up her dialogue.

Strange? The issue isn't anything related to the fact that there were other "ones" before Neo, that was built into the original source material. A singular person being the "one", not two co-existing. No qualms. The issue is they have virtually retconned the original premise that Neo was the one, and now magically Trinity has his powers... with no indication of this in the original trilogy... and now TWO share the power of the ONE without any explanation? And they can't use the excuse that it is because of their bond and love for eachother, as that was a big cornerstone of their character arc in the original. Sloppy writing.

I read that regarding Weaving not returning it was due to unavailability as he was involved with another production at the time of filming. But who knows!
Right. I didnt have any issue understanding her but to each their own.

You realise this is all canon and part of the source material made by the same people who created the story? FWIW i think the way they killed Trinity off was lazy writing and this makes much more sense (as well as being a more satisfying conclusion to both their arcs). Neo wasnt unique, the concept of the "one" was that it was never a singular entity but an anomaly that, by the very nature of being an anomaly, could be different from one to the next one (there is a long running fan theory that the Merovingian is a former one who chose a different outcome). This outcome makes far more sense when considered with the choice Neo makes in Reloaded to save Trinity instead of saving humanity (which the architect himself noted was strange) that this anomaly was and is different. By all means you dont have to like it but its not lazy or retconning anything. Also in a movie with this much suspension of disbelief this was the hill you couldnt get over? That Trinity shares some of the ones powers?

Im implying that there are any number of reasons that Fishburne wasnt asked back, youve jumped to the pretty pointed conclusion that he made some transphobic comment that got him banned. That "might" be true but there is no evidence to that whatsover and its a weird choice to jump to that conclusion. In reality it seemed that it was an outcome of the story.

You realise this is all canon and part of the source material made by the same people who created the story? FWIW i think the way they killed Trinity off was lazy writing and this makes much more sense (as well as being a more satisfying conclusion to both their arcs). Neo wasnt unique, the concept of the "one" was that it was never a singular entity but an anomaly that, by the very nature of being an anomaly, could be different from one to the next one (there is a long running fan theory that the Merovingian is a former one who chose a different outcome). This outcome makes far more sense when considered with the choice Neo makes in Reloaded to save Trinity instead of saving humanity (which the architect himself noted was strange) that this anomaly was and is different. By all means you dont have to like it but its not lazy or retconning anything. Also in a movie with this much suspension of disbelief this was the hill you couldnt get over? That Trinity shares some of the ones powers?

You realise the mere resurrection of these characters and changing up who has powers in itself is retconning? The fact that Trinity now magically shares powers when she wasn't originally written to is just one of the bigger ones. Do a Google search, there are a heap of articles written about this, I'm not the only one to have this mindset. But to each their own.

Im implying that there are any number of reasons that Fishburne wasnt asked back, youve jumped to the pretty pointed conclusion that he made some transphobic comment that got him banned. That "might" be true but there is no evidence to that whatsover and its a weird choice to jump to that conclusion. In reality it seemed that it was an outcome of the story.
Given Fishburne wasn't actually spoken to - whether to be told yes they'd love him to come back, or a courtesy no they would like to go in another direction - isn't quite normal behaviour in the biz, especially given he was an integral legacy character. Hence why this weird behaviour elicits one to think it wasn't merely a creative decision, which again would've been spoken about in the media and addressed if it was as simple as that. Not sure they can say he didn't fit in with the story given a vast majority of the stock footage used from the original he featured in, and they went to great lengths of creating an "alternate" version of the Morpheus character. If the character wasn't important, it would merely have been written out.

All in all, it seems my opinion in disliking the film has rubbed you up the wrong way, with your constant defensiveness and references to me having a "weird" or "strange" stance on things. That's fine if you love the franchise, and I respect the passion, but we all have opinions and none are less valid than the other. Carry on mate. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Yeh that’s not retconning dude, the whole universe is fake, can’t really retcon stuff that argurably never existed.

Feels like lazy criticism. You’re entitled to not like it and critique it however you like just as im entitled to critique your critique, hasn’t rubbed me the wrong way at all just seems flawed and presumptuous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back