Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

We can't give up on him yet, he's tantalising close to being a good player. He does a lot wrong but then he did that thing in the last quarter where he backed into the pack under a high ball and brought the ball to ground for Kersten to kick the goal. I haven't watched the replay yet so I may have some of the details of that act wrong but I'm pretty sure Kersten sought him out after the goal to acknowledge his act of courage.

Oh yes we can give up on him. He's a spud..............

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

We can't give up on him yet, he's tantalising close to being a good player. He does a lot wrong but then he did that thing in the last quarter where he backed into the pack under a high ball and brought the ball to ground for Kersten to kick the goal. I haven't watched the replay yet so I may have some of the details of that act wrong but I'm pretty sure Kersten sought him out after the goal to acknowledge his act of courage.
Typical of this board.

We lost. It's Tabs fault.

IMG_0918.GIF

Lol at the hate.
He can ruck, he actually brought the ball to ground, he actual presented a target. The midfield was beaten soundly in q4 and the team scored 85 all things considered.
Kersten definitely should go before Tabz.

Deserved a free kick for that. Was bumped off the play, his opponent not looking at the ball. Lucky we got the goal anyway. But yeah McCarthy/Kersten always tend to praise Tabs a fair bit. He does make their jobs a lot easier. Tabs does take the best defender as he has potential to be most damaging then Kersten

Yep, you do have it wrong. He dropped a mark that he should've taken, which he's been doing since day one and there were others in this game too. Time to move on, he's not good enough.

Funny how people remember things differently. The way I saw it, Taberner made good position, had the ball kicked to him and then dropped a wide open sitter. I think Kersten went up to him to try and make him feel OK due to his mental fragility.

Tabs is such a confidence player. He's done OK for being a speculative late pick. Not sure he has the tools upstairs to ever make it. Too timid; no mongrel; no arrogance; loses confidence too easily.

Lol at the hate.
He can ruck, he actually brought the ball to ground, he actual presented a target. The midfield was beaten soundly in q4 and the team scored 85 all things considered.
Kersten definitely should go before Tabz.

Lol. You have no idea do you. 2 hitouts!!! Get a clue Samantha!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

8 disposals, 3 marks, 2 hitouts, that's right our backup ruckman had 2 hitouts, 0 frees for but 4 against and only 34 fantasy points (the lowest for the team). Did you watch the game?

How much was he actually rucking?

Grundy had around 50 at 3QT. Wasn't leading upfield and as such Collingwood had a number of turnovers in back half because they had no big target up forward. He turned it around in q4. But he is one of the elite ruckmen in the game.

8 disposals, 3 marks, 2 hitouts, that's right our backup ruckman had 2 hitouts, 0 frees for but 4 against and only 34 fantasy points (the lowest for the team). Did you watch the game?
Maybe not.

Was it Tabs fault there looked like there was 100 Collingwood players lining up to have a shot on goal?

I'll watch it again to make sure he wasn't the only spud.

Funny how people remember things differently. The way I saw it, Taberner made good position, had the ball kicked to him and then dropped a wide open sitter. I think Kersten went up to him to try and make him feel OK due to his mental fragility.

Tabs is such a confidence player. He's done OK for being a speculative late pick. Not sure he has the tools upstairs to ever make it. Too timid; no mongrel; no arrogance; loses confidence too easily.
Exactly. Nothing wrong with being a nice guy.

I found this Q&A thing tabs did on the freo website. Bloody ironic!

Do you have a saying or motto that you live your life by: Gotta risk it to get the biscuit.

If you could ask someone to be your mentor, who would it be: Wayne Carey, I idolised him growing up, he was a great centre half forward

He's shown much more in his career to date than Apeness has, that's the reality.

Apeness has played 7 career games, averages 5.7 disposals and 0.4 goals per game.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...d2=9&type=A&pid1=3934&pid2=3885&fid1=C&fid2=C

Apeness has dealt with a heap of injuries and could've rucked for us. Tabs has played 50 games, I reckon 5 have been games where he has showed something but they're not the norm and the gap to his worst games is massive.

I don't think we've ever had a player at the club so reliant on confidence. He is too good for the wafl but not up to it in the big league. I can't think of a team in the league he would have played as many games - MAYBE Brisbane or Carlton.

Can't argue that Tabs had a bad day and very few had good ones.
His greatest weakness is the one you'd think was most fixable.
Got to good and dangerous positions through great workrate but couldn't hold the marks.
At this stage we stick with him because our options are few.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back