Roast The media....*Shakes Head* Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Hill beating his "AFL is a deadend sport" drum again.. seriously who does this ****brain think he's speaking for! piss off back to England

First of all, who? As many others have echoed. Secondly, dat dere constant hooliganism at the soccer in australia.

Dead end, yeah.

I never mentioned soccer in my post so don't play the "who" card you bellends

He basically thinks nothing should be invested in sports like AFL because they have no world stage and Soccer in Australia suffers because of these deadend sports.

Kane said we bought the game and every right with it to make it our home game but also said the Gold Coast chairman had a few "good points too" like how the Gold Coast is good for tourism. So is that their argument? Gold coast is a popular place to holiday so they have to reneg and wear red?

He basically thinks nothing should be invested in sports like AFL because they have no world stage and Soccer in Australia suffers because of these deadend sports.

not the AFL's fault they wasted 45mil on a world cup bid.

you get what you deserve

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kane said we bought the game and every right with it to make it our home game but also said the Gold Coast chairman had a few "good points too" like how the Gold Coast is good for tourism. So is that their argument? Gold coast is a popular place to holiday so they have to reneg and wear red?
That's Bullshit. It's about our team getting sponsors having done the work.

Yep I listened and couldn't see what the fuss that was created on here was. He basically said if Australia wants to be successful in international sports they have to spend less - he meant and said the government federal and state governments - on local only sports and plough it into international sports. he mentioned the world game and the Olympics - the 4 year Olympic cycle and people grinding their teeth every 4 years - why aren't we winning more medals? - and quickly moved to the British/UK example of how they won very few Olympic medals before the national lotto was set up and after the big investment from the lotto monies have meant the Brits/UK medal total has gone through the roof.

It all came from the context of the amount of money in international soccer, they discussed Arsne Wegner overnight turning down a $50mil AUD deal to coach a Chinese club, Ange Postecoglou maybe one day being enticed by the big dollars in Asia or Europe, despite saying the Socceroos being his dream job. Then talked about the next leagues down from China having lots of dollars, Japan ( said they have just signed a new broadcast deal worth equivalent of $2 bil AUD) and Korea in particular, UAE and other middle east/Asian nations, talks about an arms race in Asia as a result and the football being really good. He then talks about being left behind if we don't invest some money in this country ie - soccer. "You're not going to like me saying this and I know your listeners wont, but we gotta stop investing in government money state and federal in internationally dead end sports like AFL and Rugby League. I'm sorry but its the truth. IF you want to be competitive in international sports you have to invest in them." Rowe - how can you say AFL is a dead sport? Hill - Internationally dead end sports, then went on about the Olympics and the British experience, before bring it back to general soccer talk, says we don't want $500m that went into Adelaide Oval, but we can't even get $5mil from the government.

I resent his belief that soccer belongs as the #1 sport in every country by virtue of the fact it's the most popular game in the world. I suppose when he travels to Italy he tells them to stop eating pasta and eat McDonald's and KFC instead 'cos......."get with the program!!".

Yep I listened and couldn't see what the fuss that was created on here was. He basically said if Australia wants to be successful in international sports they have to spend less - he meant and said the government federal and state governments - on local only sports and plough it into international sports. he mentioned the world game and the Olympics - the 4 year Olympic cycle and people grinding their teeth every 4 years - why aren't we winning more medals? - and quickly moved to the British/UK example of how they won very few Olympic medals before the national lotto was set up and after the big investment from the lotto monies have meant the Brits/UK medal total has gone through the roof.

It all came from the context of the amount of money in international soccer, they discussed Arsne Wegner overnight turning down a $50mil AUD deal to coach a Chinese club, Ange Postecoglou maybe one day being enticed by the big dollars in Asia or Europe, despite saying the Socceroos being his dream job. Then talked about the next leagues down from China having lots of dollars, Japan ( said they have just signed a new broadcast deal worth equivalent of $2 bil AUD) and Korea in particular, UAE and other middle east/Asian nations, talks about an arms race in Asia as a result and the football being really good. He then talks about being left behind if we don't invest some money in this country ie - soccer. "You're not going to like me saying this and I know your listeners wont, but we gotta stop investing in government money state and federal in internationally dead end sports like AFL and Rugby League. I'm sorry but its the truth. IF you want to be competitive in international sports you have to invest in them." Rowe - how can you say AFL is a dead sport? Hill - Internationally dead end sports, then went on about the Olympics and the British experience, before bring it back to general soccer talk, says we don't want $500m that went into Adelaide Oval, but we can't even get $5mil from the government.
It's his angle he doesn't seem to realise he's talking about the two pillar sports in this country if he didn't have such a belligerent attitude to anything not soccer he might cop a more interested ear.

I want Simon Hill to give Tom Brady a call and tell him his achievements mean zilch

Tom Brady plays a sport in a country of 300 million people, in a league that gets zero government funding. It's got nothing to do with the sport itself and everything to do with the fact that the AFL and NRL stick their hands out for government grants while internationally recognized sports that would give Australia great face on a world stage are left to scrape the bottom of the barrel...even though both organizations sign billion dollar broadcast deals.

Tom Brady plays a sport in a country of 300 million people, in a league that gets zero government funding. It's got nothing to do with the sport itself and everything to do with the fact that the AFL and NRL stick their hands out for government grants while internationally recognized sports that would give Australia great face on a world stage are left to scrape the bottom of the barrel...even though both organizations sign billion dollar broadcast deals.

So everything is as it should be then?

Right move on everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back