Roast The media....*Shakes Head* Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Brady plays a sport in a country of 300 million people, in a league that gets zero government funding. It's got nothing to do with the sport itself and everything to do with the fact that the AFL and NRL stick their hands out for government grants while internationally recognized sports that would give Australia great face on a world stage are left to scrape the bottom of the barrel...even though both organizations sign billion dollar broadcast deals.
He knew he would alienate the audience he was speaking too just by using terms like "deadend sports" he has bashed AFL from multiple angles from the day he landed here it doesn't even matter if he has good point in there somewhere the folks are not listening.

This is a guy who believes in conspiracies in AFL states to thwart soccer & embelish reports of anti-social crowd behaviour, he's never watched a game apparently but bemoans good athletes wasting their time in deadend sports.. you want me to have a balanced view when this drip speaks?

He knew he would alienate the audience he was speaking too just by using terms like "deadend sports" he has bashed AFL from multiple angles from the day he landed here it doesn't even matter if he has good point in there somewhere the folks are not listening.

This is a guy who believes in conspiracies in AFL states to thwart soccer & embelish reports of anti-social crowd behaviour, he's never watched a game apparently but bemoans good athletes wasting their time in deadend sports.. you want me to have a balanced view when this drip speaks?
He used the phrase dead end international sports - twice - making a clear distinction and agreed with Rowe that AFL isn't a dead end sport. He was talking about being internationally competitive and he stressed the international component of sport and if Australians want world champions not just be great in sports played by one two or three countries they need to invest in those international sports to keep up. Sure he knew he would be provocative talking to an AFL dominated audience, even said Im sorryy, but he was talking basic common sense that if we want to see ourselves as a world sporting power , then we need to be more than just champions of a domestic code or be champions in international sports dominated/played by a handful or two of commonwealth nations.

Sure he is biased to his code and it's a choice to be made by Australians but you can't have it both ways given our population and distance that we stay dominate in traditional commonwealth and local sports and be dominate in the widely played international sports without also investing in them.

No different to how many Australians are happy with their lot in Oz, don't want to take on the world just ocassionally visit it but they want internationally the latest and greatest goods and services. Other Aussies want to compete with the rest of the world make goods and services that are as good or better than anywhere in the world and either become exporters or become expats and go and live in the big world cities or go and live overseas where big projects are being built outside the big world city limits.

Tourism of the lowest calibre is literally the only thing the Gold Coast has going for it.

Yeah, I had no idea that Chinese were so heavily into amphetamines and low class prostitutes.

He used the phrase dead end international sports - twice - making the a clear distinction and agreed with Rowe that AFL isn't a dead end sport. He was talking about being internationally competitive and he stressed the international component of sport and if Australians want world champions not just be great in sports played by one two or three countries they need to invest in those international sports to keep up. Sure he knew he would be provocative talking to an AFL dominated audience, even said Im sorryy, but he was talking basic common sense that if we want to see ourselves as a world sporting power , then we need to be more than just champions of a domestic code or be champions in international sports dominated/played by a handful or two of commonwealth nations.

Sure he is biased to his code and it's a choice to be made by Australians but you can't have it both ways given our population and distance that we stay dominate in traditional commonwealth and local sports and be dominate in the widely played international sports.

No different to how many Australians are happy with their lot in Oz, don't want to take on the world just ocassionally visit it but they want internationally the latest and greatest goods and services. Other Aussies want to compete with the rest of the world make goods and services that are as good or better than anywhere in the world and either become exporters or become expats and go and live in the big world cities or go and live overseas where big projects are being built outside the big world city limits.
You give him way too much credit REH. Hill is a whining ten pound tourist of the first order. Just because he apologises in advance of delivering a backhander to the indigenous game and its supporters who have provided him with a home away from the home he should never have been allowed to leave is no excuse.

Yep I listened and couldn't see what the fuss that was created on here was. He basically said if Australia wants to be successful in international sports they have to spend less - he meant and said the government federal and state governments - on local only sports and plough it into international sports. he mentioned the world game and the Olympics - the 4 year Olympic cycle and people grinding their teeth every 4 years - why aren't we winning more medals? - and quickly moved to the British/UK example of how they won very few Olympic medals before the national lotto was set up and after the big investment from the lotto monies have meant the Brits/UK medal total

Can't speak for Olympics but not sure if government spending in soccer is the answer. Personally believe what is required to consistently make a quarter final in the world cup can't be brought through a public purse. Just ask England. I could easily argue that the rise of SASI and AIS in soccer has lead to less Australians finding a profession in the big leagues around the world.

Not sure why this is even a conversation piece. Public spending should really only be there to help fund industry that produces a public benefit that would not be ultimately achieved if left to the private sector.

I doubt anyone would argue that the investment into AO hasn't paid a public dividend despite my personal dislike of SACA and the SMA. I'd also struggle to understand how the same amount invested in any international sport would pay a public dividend anywhere as close.

You give him way too much credit REH. Hill is a whining ten pound tourist of the first order. Just because he apologises in advance of delivering a backhander to the indigenous game and its supporters who have provided him with a home away from the home he should never have been allowed to leave is no excuse.
Hill is alright. He is just really frustrated that the game he loves and grew up with, isn't as big in Oz compared to where he grew up. I suspect many Aussie expats have a similar frustration that where they live the game they grew up with and love be it Aussie Rules, Rugby League, Rugby Union, Cricket, Netball etc isn't big where they live.

He just has a bloody big soap box to stand on here in Oz, compared to those Aussie expats.

Has anyone told the ten pound tourist Ports are goin' to China! eat a bag simon

Sounds a tad similar to the English 'gentleman' on a recent replay of Escape to the Country. Returned to the old country because he couldn't find fresh vegetables in Australia.

Oz is now a better place:)

Sounds a tad similar to the English 'gentleman' on a recent replay of Escape to the Country. Returned to the old country because he couldn't find fresh vegetables in Australia.

Oz is now a better place:)
Send the english to the most beautiful beach on the planet and they'll whinge about sand

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australia will never ever win a Soccer World Cup, even if we threw $10 billion at it, why even try be delusional about it?
$10bil would buy you a lot of Putin type operatives hanging around a WC who could provide the Socceroos with a lot of assistance to win a world cup ;)

I reckon we are looking good for 2242 WC.

Tourism of the lowest calibre is literally the only thing the Gold Coast has going for it.

Yeah, I had no idea that Chinese were so heavily into amphetamines and low class prostitutes.

finbarr said:
And bikie brawling. Perhaps it's sold to them as some kind of Westworld fantasy experience.

You guys...:rolleyes:

Seaworld, Movie World (Koalas!), the beaches, the Surfers Markets and on bus rides to Brisbane, Mt. Tamborine, Sunshine Coast and wholesalers of local produce such as indigenous art and sheepskin products are where you'll find your average Chinese tourist. Now your average young aussie tourist might like Cavill ave and immediate surrounds but it's not high on your international tourists priorities. You're thinking more schoolies.

There are some legitimate reasons as to why soccer fans should have resentment against the AFL, CH7 openly admitted in court that they brought the rights to NSL during the 90s so they could moth ball it and protect AFL dominance in this country.

However if Simon Hill has an issue with the round ball status in this country then he needs to look no further than his fellow immigrants from his native land that did little to nothing to promote the sport.

You only need to go back to 1978 and research the communities that backed the formation of the NSL to realised who invested in getting the sport up off the ground as opposed to the previous wave of immigrants who frowned upon the working class game and preferred the gentleman game of union and cricket

I personally don't really give two shits about how Australia performs in sport on the international stage, but that's me. Club > Country.

Yeah, I was big on it as a kid but who ****ing cares.

We're one of those small countries that punches above its weight and no amount of Cathy Freemans, Lleyton Hewitts, Tim Cahills or Ben Simmonses will change the UK/USA/Russia/China's perception of us as a backwater at the arse-end of the world.

Here is a list of notable AIS scholarship holders who represented Oz at least 10 times. Viduka, Muscat, Moore, Trimboli, Neal, Aloisi, Skoko, Emerton, Grella, Zelic, Bresciano and many others are in there. Some were given scholarships at 15 or 16.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFA_Centre_of_Excellence

Oh and I don't consider sports scientists and technical coaches as bureaucrats. The AIS was seen as a world leader for 15-20 years and Oz sports science has been cutting edge. Others decided to copy and have ploughed in more $$$

It's not going to change overnight like Kevin Costner in the movies. Hell Port took 3 years to go from near bottom to mid pack for footy department spend and their isn't much left over. But you have to start earning more $$$ to start
Not sure what FIFA has to do with the argument.

Cheers for the link, honestly surprised by some of the names and more surprised by the size of their 05-06 budget. I would have thought they would receive more than that which adds further wait to more $$$ for the sport. However given the gap with OS, which you've highlighted so much better than me, public funds will never make a dent, at best the sport will need a private benefactor on the scale of a Saudi prince which the state could supplement to help us get to a top 8 nation. The gap is that big, a lot bigger gap than Port or any AFL club would ever face mainly because of all the AFL caps but also because AFL spend wouldn't be close to the top 8 leagues.

FIFA point was a lazy attempt to point out the only way the numbers would have stacked up on new stadiums was if we were going to host the world cup. Unfortunately FIFA, like the AFL, care more about market penetration than the purity of sports so the lure of middle east $$$ was too big to pass. Also their stadium requirements was years ahead of what would have been considered viable for soccer in Adelaide so I reckon AO was included in the bid which would have been a wasted opportunity for the game.

Hard to work out how much of Ports recent financial success was AO and what percentage was the actual performance on the park. No doubt AO provided a lift, but if the performances in 13 leading up to AO and 14 hadn't been as strong and worst still similar to 10-12 I doubt we would have made a profit.
However the AO business case would have still got up because it wasn't just about Port.

Ultimately we're talking about the issue so Simon's article (which I haven't even read) has got the desired effect.

You guys...:rolleyes:

Seaworld, Movie World (Koalas!), the beaches, the Surfers Markets and on bus rides to Brisbane, Mt. Tamborine, Sunshine Coast ......
Three of the best things about the Gold Coast aren't actually on the Gold Coast. o_O

Although it could be argued that the Gold Coast hinterland is almost the Gold Coast. Should include the "Russ" Hinze Dam in that case. :p

I lived in QLD for 5 years, 2.5 years of that in Brisvegas, and when friends and relatives would visit from SA they all wanted to be taken to the Gold Coast. We would reluctantly take them there and when they saw it most of them would say "this is shyte". We'd then take them to the Sunshine Coast and the Glasshouse Mountains and surrounding areas and they would wish they hadn't wasted time going to the Gold Coast.

I can understand people with young kids seeing the theme parks as attractive but they don't do it for me.

As for koalas, I have taken many international visitors to Cleland Wildlife Park which is a much better experience than Movie World.

Three of the best things about the Gold Coast aren't actually on the Gold Coast. o_O

Although it could be argued that the Gold Coast hinterland is almost the Gold Coast. Should include the "Russ" Hinze Dam in that case. :p

I lived in QLD for 5 years, 2.5 years of that in Brisvegas, and when friends and relatives would visit from SA they all wanted to be taken to the Gold Coast. We would reluctantly take them there and when they saw it most of them would say "this is shyte". We'd then take them to the Sunshine Coast and the Glasshouse Mountains and surrounding areas and they would wish they hadn't wasted time going to the Gold Coast.

I can understand people with young kids seeing the theme parks as attractive but they don't do it for me.

As for koalas, I have taken many international visitors to Cleland Wildlife Park which is a much better experience than Movie World.
I can't stand the generic shithead trap!
I can see how it would be great for Aussies who don't go overseas, but other than that it's bloody depressing.

So...It seems there will be 2 Port interstate games delayed by 2 hours on Free To Air this season. Round 14 vs Collingwood at the MCG and Round 18 vs Melbourne at the MCG

First time since we joined the AFL that we havent had all our interstate games live on FTA

I hope you're wrong, this is an absolute disgrace if that was allowed to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back