Outlook Rocky: he likes an expensive Tawny

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it is written by a nob, but?.

Jake Lever and Daniel McStay in sights of Victorian clubs in this year’s trade period
JAY CLARK AND SAM LANDSBERGER, Herald Sun
19 minutes ago
Subscriber only
MELBOURNE is set to make a strong play to bring star Adelaide defender Jake Lever home to Victoria next season.

Lever and emerging Brisbane tall Daniel McStay (both 21) are primed for massive pay days with the Demons, Western Bulldogs and Hawthorn all seeking defensive reinforcements in this year’s trade period.

Demons’ champion Garry Lyon said Lever was the best young key defender on the market and worth upwards of $800,000 a season.

LOCKED IN: LIONS BIG WEEK CONTINUES WITH THREE RE-SIGNINGS

DEMONS MOVE: THE NIGHT EDDIE TRAINED WITH THE LOCALS

ROUND 13: SEE WHO THE EXPERTS ARE PICKING THIS WEEKEND

The Crows were adamant they would keep the 195cm backman, while the Lions were confident McStay was going nowhere after talks with the defender and his family last week.

The Lions are hopeful of thrashing out a deal for McStay within the next month.

After loading up on elite midfield talent in recent years, Melbourne is expected to aggressively pursue a backman to help crack its 53-year premiership drought.

67ce70dfa93b28bf6964332cf6bcf171

Jake Lever juggles the mark. Picture: Sarah Reed
ef46e82c860dceaee8fc0475353810f4

Daniel McStay could be lured out of Brisbane.
The Herald Sun revealed last month every club has the ability to trade its future first-round pick before loose restrictions apply in 2019.

That means Hawthorn can trade aggressively again this year given its first 2018 selection is expected to be an early pick.

The Dees rated Lever near the top of the 2014 draft and strongly considered taking him.

But they were spooked by Lever’s ACL injury, which pushed him to the Crows at pick 14, and instead picked Christian Petracca and Angus Brayshaw.

The Dees want a strong-bodied interceptor to partner Oscar and Tom McDonald in the back half and have closely tracked Lever ever since he joined the Crows.

McStay and Lever are both out of contract at season’s end and have deferred contract talks throughout the early part of the year.

574df547e2d27e31f009dfd1fe0bc5ee

Jake Lever takes a big mark over Daniel Menzel and Harry Taylor. Picture: Michael Klein
“We’ll speak to the club as soon as the CBA is done,” Lever told Adelaide radio 5AA.

“I’ll sit down with (manager Ned Guy) and (partner) Jess, who’s a pretty important part in it, and we’ll make that decision and and get the contract rolling.”

Clubs are impressed with Lever’s leadership and ability to read the play with his statistics mirroring triple All-Australian Alex Rance at the same age.

Lever leads the AFL in intercept possessions and was again among the best three players in the Crows’ win over St Kilda on Friday night, enhancing his reputation as the premier young key defender in the league.

89efe76f4c20e2083a55795d727d352a

Lever has conceded the fewest goals of any key defender on average over nine games in only his third season.

Lyon said Lever could anchor a team’s defence for the next decade.

“He (Lever) is that good he can command the top price for a defender,” Lyon said on SEN.

“He is an attacking animal and his body was the only thing you could put a question mark on (after a knee reconstruction).

“But in terms of setting up a defence for the next 10 years, he would just about be your No.1 pick.”

Pretty much covers what was discussed on the Adelaide board 2 days ago, and the trade board yesterday.

Sam Landsberger always throwing our players around for trades.

Has never liked us for some reason.

Correct, Landsberger really despises the Lions. Remember that game last year when Carlton beat us at Etihad and Rocky got 45 touches. Didn't give him a vote. When some on social asked him about it - he said they were the worst 45 touches ever or something along those lines. I have never seen him write a positive story about our club. He is to busy writing about his favourite club the Western Bulldogs.

It's become a bit of a joke with the new breed of journo at the Herald Sun that they just write about their fave club. Jay Clarke - Collingwood. John Ralph - Richmond - Mark Robinson - Essendon. The only one i have any time for is Mick Warner. They never did replace Mike Sheahan.

"hmm Schache has re-signed with the Lions. Which other young talented player is out of contract at end of season? Ooh yes I'll use McStay, his name alone will get me bonus views hehe."

Funny how there are never articles written about OOC young Vic players. Hope someone calls these s**t journalists out on horrible reporting.

"hmm Schache has re-signed with the Lions. Which other young talented player is out of contract at end of season? Ooh yes I'll use McStay, his name alone will get me bonus views hehe."

Funny how there are never articles written about OOC young Vic players. Hope someone calls these s**t journalists out on horrible reporting.
That's because all the other clubs are viewed as academies for the Vic clubs. Vic player gets drafted, Vic club immediately contacts manager and begins process of trying to bring back home. No-one leaves Victoria, apart from all those from Neighbours who all inevitably move to Qld!

Funny how there are never articles written about OOC young Vic players.
Hope someone calls these s**t journalists out on horrible reporting.
That's because it doesn't happen that often, it would be fantastic to turn the tables and drag a young gun Victorian out of one of the "chosen" clubs and bring him up here. eg. Darcy Parish, Ryan Burton, Daniel Rioli. You could only imagine the headlines.

Darcy Parish to seek trade to Brisbane Lions.

AFL request a mental capacity assessment, the 10 Victorian CEOs fully support the request. Gillon McLachlan states that "While it was an extremely difficult call we have the best interests of Darcy at the forefront of our thinking and we will support him through this challenging time for him and his family." he continued "We expect a resolution that will be in the best interests of all parties."

What I never understand with these articles is the whole angle of club a was really interested in him but didn't draft him because of x, and now that x isn't an issue and they didn't show any faith or take a risk despite it they're interested again. If I'm a player reading that I'm more inclined to say a big Fu to that club to be honest. Hope he stays in Adelaide

What I never understand with these articles is the whole angle of club a was really interested in him but didn't draft him because of x, and now that x isn't an issue and they didn't show any faith or take a risk despite it they're interested again. If I'm a player reading that I'm more inclined to say a big Fu to that club to be honest. Hope he stays in Adelaide
If I was a young bloke with a choice of footy club to play for, I think I'd pick the Crows. So professional, excellent development programs and always thereabouts in terms of finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was a young bloke with a choice of footy club to play for, I think I'd pick the Crows. So professional, excellent development programs and always thereabouts in terms of finals.

Except you have to spend most of the year in Adelaide.

Except you have to spend most of the year in Adelaide.

Always we hear this smart comment. You can buy an affordable house 10 minutes from a quality beach. From there it is 20 minutes to where you train, play and the airport. 30 minutes by plane to Melbourne, playing to a packed Adelaide oval every second week and part of a well run footy club. If I was an Olly Wines, for example, I would have no problem being drafted to either SA club.

Always we hear this smart comment. You can buy an affordable house 10 minutes from a quality beach. From there it is 20 minutes to where you train, play and the airport. 30 minutes by plane to Melbourne, playing to a packed Adelaide oval every second week and part of a well run footy club. If I was an Olly Wines, for example, I would have no problem being drafted to either SA club.

30 minutes by plane. Who's flying it?

It's a beautiful stadium. Probably the main reason to ever be in Adelaide.
It's no coincidence footy has taken off in SA ever since they moved there. West lakes infrastructure just couldn't handle the crowds... well the crows ones anyway

Last year I was on the hill, this weekend I've forked out the extra $ to be on the wing should be better viewing

It's no coincidence footy has taken off in SA ever since they moved there. West lakes infrastructure just couldn't handle the crowds... well the crows ones anyway

Last year I was on the hill, this weekend I've forked out the extra $ to be on the wing should be better viewing

Footy park was such a pain to get to and from. I lived in the eastern suburbs which meant it took ages. Fortunately my grandparents lived walking distance from Footy park which made it easier.

Footy park was such a pain to get to and from. I lived in the eastern suburbs which meant it took ages. Fortunately my grandparents lived walking distance from Footy park which made it easier.
Yep & there was only the crows shed & 1 other pub to catch the crowd afterwards so everyone left at the same time creating traffic chaos. Not the best venue.

Port haven't even had to tarp up the Adelaide oval yet. Although sounds like they're worried about the crowd numbers for saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back