The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not that we have an issue with GK's as EG is in superb form, but, watching Sydney FC his season, I'm really glad for Andrew Redmayne. He is proving to be the quality GK that many hoped he would be.

It's a good signing if it happens but still not happy about Bruno.
Yep. Ridiculous treatment that has clearly hurt the team.

Now will be interesting to see if we can adjust to having a proper striker again. I fear we are too negative to take advantage.

Yep. Ridiculous treatment that has clearly hurt the team.

Now will be interesting to see if we can adjust to having a proper striker again. I fear we are too negative to take advantage.

I think we have attacked well enough in recent weeks without one, just lacking that finisher.

Wonder if De Laet will remember how to defend...

I like to think that should JMac be presented with some of those chances Wales has been on the end of, he'll put them away. He's no star imo, but he's a very good finisher.

Just watching a bit of the match tonight. I'm wondering, what does the future hold for Melbourne City? The crowd seemed abysmal, the club have been unable to get people to support and seem to have very few loyal fans. There is now a new team coming in to the Melbourne market which will surely have a further effect on the crowds.

The City Group came along with the promise of being able to sign big players, but it hasn't really eventuated at all. They haven't really made the necessary investment to draw crowds. Meanwhile, the coach fell out with probably the best player the club has ever produced.

I considered myself somewhat of a fan - followed Heart in the early days, felt weird about following City because of the associations but went along with it. Now I just really don't care for the side at all and find them awful to watch.

I live in WA now and I'm really not meaning to be down on the club, but I just don't really see how this club survives on the current trajectory. Seems that they've isolated the loyal fans but also failed to bring in the excitement that they promised. Looking at the crowd tonight, they have completely failed to tap into a market. It will be hard for them to succeed because the atmosphere looks woeful and I think the players probably find it quite challenging.

Happy to be proven wrong but just don't see it working out at this stage. I wonder if the new West Melbourne team is an admission that Melbourne City is a complete flop.

I was over from Adelaide for the game saturday night and you could fit that crowd in a suburban oval. Pathetic

Why the A-League thinks expansion is the idea when crowds are diminishing is anyone's guess. City need a genuine marquee but even a Del Piero won't save them atm. Be lucky for attendances above 4,500 with another Melbourne team in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was over from Adelaide for the game saturday night and you could fit that crowd in a suburban oval. Pathetic

Why the A-League thinks expansion is the idea when crowds are diminishing is anyone's guess. City need a genuine marquee but even a Del Piero won't save them atm. Be lucky for attendances above 4,500 with another Melbourne team in

City are a viable concern as a talent pool and distribution centre.

Shame they care more about a youth team coach in Joyce then caring about actually winning

most the team are a bunch of spuds tbh

Disagree.
We have a good side which is being told to play backwards football with our best player sitting in the stands and often having a defender play forward.
At our best, with the best 11 on the field they could beat any other side in the league if they played attacking football.

Disagree.
We have a good side which is being told to play backwards football with our best player sitting in the stands and often having a defender play forward.
At our best, with the best 11 on the field they could beat any other side in the league if they played attacking football.
Disagree but fair enough.

Appropriate to add this here I'll also add it to the General Chat thread. Thoughts on Munn's contributions to City/Heart? I for one thought he should have gone when the CFG took over, we didn't hear much from him since through what has he been doing?

Munn exits Melbourne City top job
Melbourne City's Scott Munn (left) will head up City Football Group's expanding Chinese operations.

Long-serving Melbourne City chief Scott Munn will leave the job this month to become head of City Football Group's expanding Chinese operations.
The diminutive executive was the inaugural leader of Melbourne Heart when they were admitted to the league in 2010, remaining in the role after a takeover by the Manchester City-aligned football conglomerate.
Munn's departure coincides with CFG's acquisition of a third-tier Chinese club, Chengdu-based Sichuan Jiuniu.
Under his leadership, the A-League side won the 2016 FFA Cup but failed to reach an A-League grand final.
They have also struggled to create a footprint in Melbourne, averaging less than 10,000 people to games.
In contrast, the W-League side transformed the women's game in Australia, winning the championship in their first three seasons.
Munn will be replaced by Brad Rowse, currently the club's commercial and operations director.
Rowse has spent a decade at the club after stints in similar roles with AFL clubs Melbourne and Geelong.

https://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/story/5917003/munn-exits-melbourne-city-top-job/

Very, very disappointing tonight. With the scum being down to 10 for 75mins you'd expect at least 3 goals. I couldn't go due to work commitments, but watching on tv, it seems the players are either scared or have forgotten how to attack. After reading the reports that Joyce was on his last legs i half expected the team to pull out a typical 3-0 win to ease the pressure. When they went down to 10 i thought here's another way they'll pull out a win to save the gaffa. But i think with that kind of result surely WJ can't stay. PK to take over the rest of the season and hopefully results go our way and he can continue next season and beyond.

I can see Glory putting in a clinic next week with both Bart and Ritchie out

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back