Strategy The midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

There has been a lot of discussion creeping into other threads about our midfield, but it deserves its own thread.

We enter 2020 still reliant on an experienced few, though the depth we have managed to build in this area of the ground is seriously impressive. We now have a glut of talent who could feature prominently, albeit many are very young and require further development.

The proof will as always be in the pudding, but it is very hard to not get excited about what this group may produce in 2020 and beyond, and it all starts in the midfield.

For a while now I have wanted to take a deeper look into our midfield, and 2020 is finally the year to do it.
I will be posting in this thread a weekly update on formations, success rates and any other stats relevant to the midfield debate.

In the meantime, I am keen to hear what you think is our optimal midfield setup come R1 vs the Tigers?
What are your expectations for our midfield group in 2020?
What do you see as the strengths and weaknesses of our midfield options, both individually and as a collective?
Are there any specific types you think we need to target come the player movement period at the end of 2020?

For reference, this is the midfield group we recently voted as being our consensus best 22:

C: Sam Walsh, Patrick Cripps, Will Setterfield
FOL: Matthew Kreuzer, Ed Curnow, Marc Murphy
INT: Sam Petrevski-Seton, Zac Fisher, Jack Newnes

Whether or not you agree with this as being our best setup to start the year, there is no doubt this is a very talented group. Even more telling perhaps is the caliber of footballers who would be waiting in reserve.

Have at it.

I can get figures from about round 15 onward

Can share the link if you wish

I recall seeing centre-square involvement figures from some years ago across all clubs...a couple of years actually.

There's no one rule that will be the same for every club, but I do recall that there were usually four or five principle players involved, with often a sharp drop to others who may have had the odd through the midfield.

I can't see why that would change for us this year and again, it looks like at that at this stage, the five first called upon will be Cripps, Setterfield, Walsh, Murphy and ECurnow. I feel this is important as then the rest of the 'real ball-winning' mids have to work around this and have to consolidate roles elsewhere, whilst being able to come in and out as required.

What I see coming about is for midfielders Dow and Kennedy to be squeezed out of the main team, because others will be more adept at alternative roles than for what these two individuals may have to bring to the table -
i.e. JSilvagni to be more flexible and better suited to a forward role than Kennedy. Dow; Midfield/wing or nothing.

There's nothing wrong with this under one important proviso - For the Northern Blues to be a better development ground than it has been. Important.

I recall seeing centre-square involvement figures from some years ago across all clubs...a couple of years actually.

There's no one rule that will be the same for every club, but I do recall that there were usually four or five principle players involved, with often a sharp drop to others who may have had the odd through the midfield.

I can't see why that would change for us this year and again, it looks like at that at this stage, the five first called upon will be Cripps, Setterfield, Walsh, Murphy and ECurnow. I feel this is important as then the rest of the 'real ball-winning' mids have to work around this and have to consolidate roles elsewhere, whilst being able to come in and out as required.

What I see coming about is for midfielders Dow and Kennedy to be squeezed out of the main team, because others will be more adept at alternative roles than for what these two individuals may have to bring to the table -
i.e. JSilvagni to be more flexible and better suited to a forward role than Kennedy. Dow; Midfield/wing or nothing.

There's nothing wrong with this under one important proviso - For the Northern Blues to be a better development ground than it has been. Important.

Will format the stats, but until then, this website has the numbers for every match from round 15 last year.

I will get the full year and format those at a later date

Each side varies, but generally the main 3 each week, even though the names can be different. Then you have another 2-3 rotating and then others playing cameos

What I don't have is players at round the ground stoppages, say in a 5 metre radius from the ball up. Will ask the question though

Little snapshot of 2 rounds. Players that attended centre bounces, thos that won the clearance and those that won stoppages around the ground. Have removed all other players. CBA/30 also indicates total bounces. You will notice in round 18, our starting mids didn't get many clearances, this is a concern (don't know how Newman and Lang were credited with one each given they have zero CBA). What you should notice is why I rate Gibbons so highly. In round 18 he was equal highest in stoppage clearances with Ed, round 19 he was equal 2nd highest, with Walsh (Cripps had a monster day)

Will do this for round 15 onwards, then do the full year when I get the stats

Round 18
PlayerCBA/30CCLSCL
P Cripps
25​
2​
3​
M Kreuzer
25​
1​
2​
E Curnow
21​
1​
5​
M Murphy
19​
2​
3​
S Walsh
16​
0​
3​
J Silvagni
8​
0​
2​
L Casboult
5​
0​
0​
Z Fisher
1​
0​
2​
K Simpson
0​
0​
3​
S P-Seton
0​
0​
2​
M Gibbons
0​
0​
5​
N Newman
0​
1​
0​
D Lang
0​
1​
0​
Round 19
PlayerCBA/26CCLSCL
P Cripps
23​
8​
11​
K Simpson
0​
0​
1​
M Murphy
22​
2​
2​
E Curnow
23​
2​
4​
S Walsh
10​
1​
6​
W Setterfield
0​
0​
2​
M Gibbons
0​
0​
6​
S P-Seton
0​
0​
1​
L Casboult
6​
1​
1​
A Phillips
20​
3​
0​
P Dow
0​
0​
1​

Last edited:

HARKER only because i had a spare 1/2 hour

Round 15 - 22 (23 missing)

Firstly a summary of CCL versus CBA Think the likes of Kennedy, Fisher, Gibbons, Dow should be used more at centre bounces. The other surprising thing is Setterfield took only 2 centre bounces, that really needs to change

NAMECCLCBA% CCL/CBA
M Kennedy2540.00%
P Dow1333.33%
M Gibbons1425.00%
Z Fisher21315.38%
A Phillips64114.63%
P Cripps1613312.03%
M Murphy1615610.26%
M Kreuzer1312910.08%
E Curnow151738.67%
L Casboult3407.50%
J Silvagni3466.52%
S Walsh4854.71%
H McKay010.00%
J Deluca020.00%
S P-Seton0110.00%
W Setterfield020.00%

Round 15
PlayerCBA/26CCLSCL
E Curnow23412
M Kreuzer2212
M Murphy2016
J Silvagni1922
S Walsh722
S P-Seton502
L Casboult402
M Kennedy410
W Setterfield01
L O'Brien01
Z Fisher02
M Gibbons03
K Simpson10
P Dow01
Round 16
PlayerCBA/29CCLSCL
E Curnow2913
M Murphy2562
M Kreuzer2354
S Walsh2101
L Casboult1111
J Silvagni1002
Z Fisher921
S P-Seton603
M Gibbons202
N Newman02
L Plowman02
W Setterfield01
L O'Brien01
J Weitering01
Round 17
PlayerCBA/21CCLSCL
M Kreuzer2015
E Curnow1736
P Cripps1717
M Murphy1633
S Walsh611
J Silvagni401
Z Fisher304
L Casboult102
K Simpson10
M Gibbons02
W Setterfield01
L O'Brien11
H Goddard01
Round 18
PlayerCBA/30CCLSCL
P Cripps2523
M Kreuzer2512
E Curnow2115
M Murphy1923
S Walsh1603
J Silvagni802
L Casboult500
Z Fisher102
K Simpson003
S P-Seton002
M Gibbons005
N Newman010
D Lang010
Round 19
PlayerCBA/26CCLSCL
P Cripps23811
E Curnow2324
M Murphy2222
A Phillips2030
S Walsh1016
L Casboult611
K Simpson001
W Setterfield002
M Gibbons006
S P-Seton001
P Dow001
Round 20
PlayerCBA/29CCLSCL
P Cripps2536
M Murphy2414
E Curnow2314
A Phillips2130
S Walsh904
L Casboult812
J Silvagni301
M Gibbons103
J Deluca102
M Kennedy110
S P-Seton01
W Setterfield03
L O'Brien01
Z Fisher01
D Lang01
Round 21
PlayerCBA/20CCLSCL
P Cripps2004
M Kreuzer1712
E Curnow1615
M Murphy1104
S Walsh802
L Casboult301
J Silvagni210
W Setterfield203
M Gibbons112
K Simpson03
D Thomas04
N Newman03
L Jones02
D Lang01
Round 22
PlayerCBA/25CCLSCL
P Cripps2323
M Kreuzer2245
E Curnow2124
M Murphy1911
S Walsh802
P Dow310
L Casboult203
J Deluca100
H McKay100
L O'Brien01
S P-Seton01
M Gibbons01
Z Fisher01
D Lang01

Thanks for the effort Arr0w

That's a snapshot of what Teague felt would win him games and would be quite different to the way things were under Bolton.
As you pointed out, it does seem odd that Setterfield was used as sparingly as he was...quite odd, given it's over a period of one third of the season.

As at this point in time, Setterfield looks likely to occupy the time JSilvagni had in the centre, but given how much JSilvagni was used (more than I thought) he may not be completely squeezed out just yet and used as a stopper when required.

Interesting also, Gibbons had one centre square involvement in 7 games. That's it. I thought it would have been a lot more than that.

That table seems to be telling us what we know (sort of know) that Cripps, Walsh, ECurnow and Murphy will take on the majority of centre square involvements and on viewing to date, Setterfield will likely be next in line and that makes it the five players that will be involved in the majority.

I know we're hearing Cuningham & Martin and now even mentioning Williamson, Newnes and O'Brien, but it just doesn't pan out that way, as the proven are likely to be continued to be used, given what we've seen and given Teague (The club) will be aiming for wins over any development at the premium level.

Don’t think it’s too strange that Setters’ numbers are low.

Looked excellent on a wing, and we know Teague favored the mature bodies in the centre.

Fast forward 8 months and my guess is we’ll see a very different set of results.

Fair point and Setterfield certainly looks stronger now, than he did this time last year.
He and Stocker can carry an opponent on their backs at stoppages....ala Cripps. Some strong boys at the club.

Feel that there will be an injection of speed added to the midfield stoppages and Cuningham may take precedence initially, but I just see Dow or Fisher being the first used for this reason by years end.

Thanks for the effort Arr0w

That's a snapshot of what Teague felt would win him games and would be quite different to the way things were under Bolton.
As you pointed out, it does seem odd that Setterfield was used as sparingly as he was...quite odd, given it's over a period of one third of the season.

As at this point in time, Setterfield looks likely to occupy the time JSilvagni had in the centre, but given how much JSilvagni was used (more than I thought) he may not be completely squeezed out just yet and used as a stopper when required.

Interesting also, Gibbons had one centre square involvement in 7 games. That's it. I thought it would have been a lot more than that.

That table seems to be telling us what we know (sort of know) that Cripps, Walsh, ECurnow and Murphy will take on the majority of centre square involvements and on viewing to date, Setterfield will likely be next in line and that makes it the five players that will be involved in the majority.

I know we're hearing Cuningham & Martin and now even mentioning Williamson, Newnes and O'Brien, but it just doesn't pan out that way, as the proven are likely to be continued to be used, given what we've seen and given Teague (The club) will be aiming for wins over any development at the premium level.

The yearly total of centre clearances shows that many of our kids were actually doing well first half of the season compared to senior players, but maybe it was that 2nd phase where they were struggling, sure the ball movement was also a factor

Will know soon, once I get the stats

The yearly total of centre clearances shows that many of our kids were actually doing well first half of the season compared to senior players, but maybe it was that 2nd phase where they were struggling, sure the ball movement was also a factor

Will know soon, once I get the stats

The numbers you've put up (and previous numbers) demonstrate to me that there clearly are preferred options in regards to midfield starters.
If something is working, why on earth would you set out to change it for the sake of change?

That's why I don't take much notice around discussions of Cuningham playing in the midfield or Martin being engaged 50% of the time, or let's give Docherty a run through the midfield, nor 'What's Williamson like as a mid'

Unless things are failing and Cripps, Walsh, Murphy all fall foul to injuries, we'll again have the top 5 involved and a smattering of others, as required, or for just some relief to the main crew, with a gentle introduction of the young guys starting to take some weight off Murphy and ECurnow.

There could well be something that jumps right out of the box, but I'd bet on the side of it not coming about...but who knows for sure?

Not sure who will own the negating role once curnow retires.

we have a good range of attacking mids, who will take the defensive mantle?

F that, how will the opposition defend all our gun mids?

:)

Great work Arr0w - pretty much underlines why I say given Murphy and Ed's age that we are 'short' one developed A grade mid for on ball duties. Furthermore, when I look back at Murphy's biggest influence in games - it is him being in forward 50 and kicking elite snaps in congestion. The other midfield glaring obvious is that we are 'short' two players who are genuine marking/running and forward entry long kicks ie genuine wings - especially in context of having on paper if fit one of the best combinations of three marking talls in AFL in CHarlie/Harry and McGovern.

So 2020 we can get by with Cripps/Ed and Murph ( although Murph is better suited having a free reign to wander) but you'd want to see Walsh and whoever else is playing on ball lift significantly - big ask for Walsh - agree with you on Gibbons versatility - the kid is a football player.

I dont know what to do with Setterfield - smart footballer, clean but didnt see him as a contested beast in 2019 - fingers crossed, he just seems to be the best of the rest at this stage - especially since he knows how to sneak into forward 50 and impact.

I like Dow's burst, and he is a natural straight lines attacking player - but he should also have a look at Dangerfield's ability to stick tackles can't have one way running passengers.

So for me - covering for Cripps and finding two players who can perform on wings is the challenge - and that is assuming Harry ( at least) if not both he and Charlie can get on the park at some stage in 2020.

I see us as a middling side until these issues are resolved - missing the ability to score easy because of messy entries and relying too much on elite forward 50 craft from Betts/Martin.

Fix these issue and we can play against anyone anytime.

The numbers you've put up (and previous numbers) demonstrate to me that there clearly are preferred options in regards to midfield starters.
If something is working, why on earth would you set out to change it for the sake of change?

That's why I don't take much notice around discussions of Cuningham playing in the midfield or Martin being engaged 50% of the time, or let's give Docherty a run through the midfield, nor 'What's Williamson like as a mid'

Unless things are failing and Cripps, Walsh, Murphy all fall foul to injuries, we'll again have the top 5 involved and a smattering of others, as required, or for just some relief to the main crew, with a gentle introduction of the young guys starting to take some weight off Murphy and ECurnow.

There could well be something that jumps right out of the box, but I'd bet on the side of it not coming about...but who knows for sure?

Because versatility and unpredictability is an asset, and gives you an edge over the opposition, as long as its utilised correctly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have completely ignored what I posted.

Soon enough you will see the percentage of centre clearances versus attendances are similar for youth in the first half of the season versus senior players in the second half of the season.

Walsh only had 4 clearances from 85 visits, round 15 onward, yet had 12 for the year

Fisher had 2 from 13 visits, yet had 22 for the year, same as Murphy

I am suggesting it is more to do with the 2nd phase of play and a more attacking gameplan

There consecutive games, Saints, Bombers, Lions, we lost the CCL, by 2 in each of those games, yet the result against the Lions was vastly different

A week later we were +5 against the Dogs, yet lost the game

Drill down Harks

Because versatility and unpredictability is an asset, and gives you an edge over the opposition, as long as its utilised correctly.

It's so unpredictable that it really doesn't come about anywhere near as often, as one would want to imagine.
Imagination and reality are generally speaking, two very different things.

It's also good to deploy your weapons where they serve you best and when all the huff and puff settles, this is what we'll likely see.

It's so unpredictable that it really doesn't come about anywhere near as often, as one would want to imagine.

It's also good to deploy your weapons where they serve you best and when all the huff and puff settles, this is what we'll likely see.

Think you are still avoiding the facts Harks.

A perfect example is the game where we beat the Suns

They spanked us in centre clearances, 19 to 8, had more inside 50's, +3, more contested ball, tackles inside 50, 1%ers,

The difference was ball movement and execution.

Senior bodies in pivotal roles, not just the centre bounces, as this would be for the next phase/ideal setup around the ground

I will add though...

Guys like Cripps, Murphy, Ed, probably would have got first hands/outlet handball to others streaming through/breaking the square and that player being awarded the centre clearance.

Happy to have the likes of Cripps, Murphy, Ed, Gibbons, etc at the coal face, then the likes of Cuners, Walsh, Fisher, etc coming off the line

Setters should be allowed to split his time in both areas.

And, the likes of a Martin may not spend much time at centre bounces, but he will play plenty of minutes between the arcs

You have completely ignored what I posted.

Soon enough you will see the percentage of centre clearances versus attendances are similar for youth in the first half of the season versus senior players in the second half of the season.

Walsh only had 4 clearances from 85 visits, round 15 onward, yet had 12 for the year

Fisher had 2 from 13 visits, yet had 22 for the year, same as Murphy

I am suggesting it is more to do with the 2nd phase of play and a more attacking gameplan

There consecutive games, Saints, Bombers, Lions, we lost the CCL, by 2 in each of those games, yet the result against the Lions was vastly different

A week later we were +5 against the Dogs, yet lost the game

Drill down Harks

I know and I've stated as much, but proof....pudding...

Just dot point what I've put forward and to be clear, I'm only talking about midfield involvements.
That's it....who is going to entrusted to get the ball moving out of the centre? That's all....no tricks...that's all.

1. We'll start the year principally using the following mids - Cripps, Murphy, ECurnow, Setterfield and Walsh.
2. We will though begin to introduce some youth into the middle as we have to, but we're not really sure who that may be. They'll have to prove themselves.
3. All the stuff about everyone and anyone being asked to be involved through the midfield won't happen. This is just imagination.

What our game-plan may be makes for another discussion. First things first. Get your hands on the ball.
Cripps will not be asked to play elsewhere because some game-plan demands he won't be needed in the midfield any more.

...and stop playing out as a deep thinker. I haven't seen much evidence of that yet, and what I've put forward shouldn't be hard to understand without conflating it with all sorts of add-ons, to jumble the point of the matter. :)

I know and I've stated as much, but proof....pudding...

Just dot point what I've put forward and to be clear, I'm only talking about midfield involvements.
That's it....who is going to entrusted to get the ball moving out of the centre? That's all....no tricks...that's all.

1. We'll start the year principally using the following mids - Cripps, Murphy, ECurnow, Setterfield and Walsh.
2. We will though begin to introduce some youth into the middle as we have to, but we're not really sure who that may be. They'll have to prove themselves.
3. All the stuff about everyone and anyone being asked to be involved through the midfield won't happen. This is just imagination.

What our game-plan may be makes for another discussion. First things first. Get your hands on the ball.
Cripps will not be asked to play elsewhere because some game-plan demands he won't be needed in the midfield any more.

...and stop playing out as a deep thinker. I haven't seen much evidence of that yet, and what I've put forward shouldn't be hard to understand without conflating it with all sorts of add-ons, to jumble the point of the matter. :)

I have supplied proof, you are just ignoring it

Midfield involvements of just centre bounces? You seem to be swaying heavily in one area.

Please stop with this constant rhetoric of the likes of Doc being a full time mid, no one has suggested it

The gameplan had everything to do with this discussion, you can't separate it from the midfield setup is,cthey go hand in hand

Cripps played in the guts over the course of the whole year

I just asked you to drill down, has nothing to do with deep thinking. Would be like me suggesting you are surface thinker for only looking at the raw numbers and not the indirect benefits?

It will be interesting to see if they try a random Eddie Betts in the center here and there, once or twice per game.
With the development of Williamson, Newman and SPS in the backline, I wonder if Docherty could also spend more time in the midfield moving forward.
In his junior years, he looked like he had the ability, just never really worked out at Brissie.

The tactic was sound though. They constantly put bodies in between him and the ball to inhibit his ability to get first touch then they would spread after a second or two
This sort of tactic was used by the Saints against us in 2016. Ostensibly Jack Stevens was competing with Cripps for the ball. Stevens seemed a bit hampered by injury by quarter time and instead of going for the ball he simply ran interference and this allowed Gresham to go straight for the ball unmolested since the Blues mids were expecting Cripps/Stevens to battle to win it.

The tactic has been tried several times thereafter. It has generally not worked. Cripps now knows of the tactic and can avoid being molested by engaging with the molesting opponent first and pushing them away when it is clear the umpires are not going to give him a free for essentially being tackled without the ball. Umpires show leniency to Cripps self-help methods.

As has been pointed out the tactic "worked" for WB because Cripps was clearly injured during the game. The extent to which it would have been useful otherwise can be doubted.

IMO Murphy's abilities in the contest are under-rated by BF posters. That he can carry the midfield is demonstrated by the Freo game last year. Murphy was part of the BB sacrifice to speed the development of Fisher, Dow, Walsh and SPS. For this year I starting midfield is obvious: Cripps, Murphy, Walsh and Ed. Each plays a complementary role to the other - Cripps the bull accumulator - Murphy, experienced and highly skilled inside/outside - Walsh, great positioning and anticipation - Ed great defensive ability. There is much talk up of Setterfield, Gibbons and Cuningham as centre bounce midfielders but IMO Fisher has proven ability ahead of them at this stage. Maybe 1 of those 3 will step up to join Fisher to form the 5 mainstay mids this year (most teams tend to have a dominant 5) but I hope it will be Dow who makes the step-up.

In that event Setterfield, Gibbons, Cuningham, JSOS and others should (and no doubt will) be given cameo roles when injury/match-ups/ a need to inject them into the play/desparate last quarter change-ups requires it.

Great work Arr0w - pretty much underlines why I say given Murphy and Ed's age that we are 'short' one developed A grade mid for on ball duties. Furthermore, when I look back at Murphy's biggest influence in games - it is him being in forward 50 and kicking elite snaps in congestion. The other midfield glaring obvious is that we are 'short' two players who are genuine marking/running and forward entry long kicks ie genuine wings - especially in context of having on paper if fit one of the best combinations of three marking talls in AFL in CHarlie/Harry and McGovern.

So 2020 we can get by with Cripps/Ed and Murph ( although Murph is better suited having a free reign to wander) but you'd want to see Walsh and whoever else is playing on ball lift significantly - big ask for Walsh - agree with you on Gibbons versatility - the kid is a football player.

I dont know what to do with Setterfield - smart footballer, clean but didnt see him as a contested beast in 2019 - fingers crossed, he just seems to be the best of the rest at this stage - especially since he knows how to sneak into forward 50 and impact.

I like Dow's burst, and he is a natural straight lines attacking player - but he should also have a look at Dangerfield's ability to stick tackles can't have one way running passengers.

So for me - covering for Cripps and finding two players who can perform on wings is the challenge - and that is assuming Harry ( at least) if not both he and Charlie can get on the park at some stage in 2020.

I see us as a middling side until these issues are resolved - missing the ability to score easy because of messy entries and relying too much on elite forward 50 craft from Betts/Martin.

Fix these issue and we can play against anyone anytime.
I think the messy forward entries became less of an issue when we shifted more experience back into the midfield. They don't necessarily win the clearances more often than the kids (see Arrow's post), but they are better at ensuring clearances become goals.

It is about identifying when a certain element in a current situation is lacking eg pace, contested possession etc etc. and then recognising elements in certain players that aren’t necessarily recognised as ‘full time mids’ that can assist with that, as well as surprise opposition game plans. This should be seen as an asset, not a detriment.

I’m not saying it happens every game or that every player is capable, but it happens, whether you see it or not. It’s what separates good coaches from great coaches imo.

Throwing Silvagni onto Fyfe is a great example of this. By having an open mind as to what players are capable of, literally won us the game.

Without imagination, you’ll never achieve anything.

This sort of tactic was used by the Saints against us in 2016. Ostensibly Jack Stevens was competing with Cripps for the ball. Stevens seemed a bit hampered by injury by quarter time and instead of going for the ball he simply ran interference and this allowed Gresham to go straight for the ball unmolested since the Blues mids were expecting Cripps/Stevens to battle to win it.

The tactic has been tried several times thereafter. It has generally not worked. Cripps now knows of the tactic and can avoid being molested by engaging with the molesting opponent first and pushing them away when it is clear the umpires are not going to give him a free for essentially being tackled without the ball. Umpires show leniency to Cripps self-help methods.

As has been pointed out the tactic "worked" for WB because Cripps was clearly injured during the game. The extent to which it would have been useful otherwise can be doubted.

IMO Murphy's abilities in the contest are under-rated by BF posters. That he can carry the midfield is demonstrated by the Freo game last year. Murphy was part of the BB sacrifice to speed the development of Fisher, Dow, Walsh and SPS. For this year I starting midfield is obvious: Cripps, Murphy, Walsh and Ed. Each plays a complementary role to the other - Cripps the bull accumulator - Murphy, experienced and highly skilled inside/outside - Walsh, great positioning and anticipation - Ed great defensive ability. There is much talk up of Setterfield, Gibbons and Cuningham as centre bounce midfielders but IMO Fisher has proven ability ahead of them at this stage. Maybe 1 of those 3 will step up to join Fisher to form the 5 mainstay mids this year (most teams tend to have a dominant 5) but I hope it will be Dow who makes the step-up.

In that event Setterfield, Gibbons, Cuningham, JSOS and others should (and no doubt will) be given cameo roles when injury/match-ups/ a need to inject them into the play/desparate last quarter change-ups requires it.
Ok, I stand corrected... probably had a few lagers that game, maybe my memory isn't what I thought it was.

I'm still expecting us to line up round 1 with Cripps, Murph & Ed in the square and Walsh & Setters on the wings.

Hopefully Setters can start transitioning a little inside over the course of the season. Walsh still feels another year or so off due to his frame, when comparing his 'value' inside versus outside. Agree on Dow; his burst out of the stoppage would be a great asset, putting opposition defenders in two minds as there's always that possibility of the super fast break/entry.

It's be interesting to see who takes the mantle as 'more defensive minded' starting mid in the AE (After Eduardo) era. Setters does appear to do a good deal of the right stuff - blocks, loves to tackle, etc - but at the same time someone like Stocker might be a more natural replacement.

I'm really hoping we get to see more of the pre-leg Fisher wreaking some havoc on the fringes of the contest.

HARKER little more on the numbers till round 11 (Bolton), and from round 12 onward (Teague). While we don't have all the stats from who attended the centre bounces, especially the first half of the year, we do know it was the kids that were handed the responsibilities.

It shows that our youth had the better record compared to the senior players in centre clearance differentials, while it was the opposite for stoppages. Bigger, mature bodies in the 2nd, 3rd, etc phases. Again there are other contributing factors that changed with gameplan and tactics, that also contributed to 2 part season

Let's not get too caught up with the names, as you always say, it's the sum of all parts.

Rounds 1-11
GMCCLSCL
Blues
11.7​
27.3​
Opponent
12​
28​
Team/Opp. Diff.
-0.3​
-0.7​
Rounds 12-23