The most boring finals ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton's been irrelevant for over 20 years, Collingwood usually stink it up with a boring game style, and Richmond and Hawthorn usually beat everyone so badly that none of their games are that interesting. If anything the lack of these teams makes the finals series better.

1990 Grand Final. I went that day, probably the most boring game I've ever seen, let alone final. Ironic that one of the worst GFs ever came drectly after arguably the best....

3 blow outs and one who gives a sh*t close game

Sydney v GWS was a classic, the last ten minutes of Sydney dominating but not able to put it on the scoreboard and the Giants defending desperately is what finals is all about. Just because it didn’t have your precious big Melbourne clubs doesn’t diminish it at all.

Melbourne v Brisbane was actually quite a good game of footy, obviously the result wasn’t close but you can’t expect all finals to be.

Bulldogs v Essendon was so so, if Essendon had kicked straight in the first half it would have been very interesting.

I actually didn’t watch Geelong v Port so unlike you I won’t comment on it.

It's actually a good year for finals.

1. None of the other 3 big Melbourne teams can win;
2. We might be about to see history with the Demons finally getting it done for Norm;
3. The Cats are bringing the stink yet again;
4. The Lions could get done at home.....again. Lots of mouthguard throwing to come in that match.
5. Giants might make the big day and play like Auskick debutants again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 blow outs and one who gives a sh*t close game
Yeah who gives a shit about Sydney? I must have dreamed that bit about the TV ratings breaking records every time they make a grand final. Guess I imagined that fact about them having the biggest game day crowds of any NSW sporting team. Biggest club membership of any NSW sporting team. One of the most valuable jerseys in all Australian sport per sponsorship dollar. I imagined it all.

So glad your searingly intellectual post set me straight.

This might sound strange, but I don't mind seeing sides go out of finals in straight sets at all. I like when finals results are genuinely unpredictable. Before 2014 I was so sick of seeing the qualifying final losers winning their semi-finals and the home prelim teams getting up almost every time. What's the point of staging a sporting match if you can tip the home side winning with near certainty?

The most boring finals ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back