The Movie Thread

• Thread starter Old Spice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

I know Copalla had to re-write the end of the movie because Brando turned up fat on the set, but which elements don't fit together?
It's inevitable that when a shoot lasts so long, scenes within the film are going to just seem different.

If you cut up the movie and looked at the different scenes in a vacuum, it's hard to picture the scene at the start with Martin Sheen going nuts in the hotel, and the scene on the beach with Robert Duvall, and the scenes at the end with Brando all come from the same movie... As I said, they still somehow come together to make something that is, in essence, a hell of a film, but there's something about that doesn't rank it up there with Coppola's best, or the best of the Vietnam movies, IMO.

To give an idea of how insane that shoot was, Laurence Fishburne lied about his age as a 14 year old, to get to play a 17 year old soldier, and by the time shooting wrapped, he WAS 17...

Hitchcock's movies were overwhelmingly plot driven but also cinematically good. He was a master of his craft, but for me not a master story teller through image. He's great with imagery, but only to underscore a point in the plot
I don't know that I can disagree much more fervently - I wrote an entire essay on this shot from Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt:

Shadow%2Bof%2Ba%2BDoubt%2Bpic%2B3.jpg

That shot is so carefully constructed, and so far beyond the literal that on it's own I can't accept your "not a master story teller through image" claim.

Hearts of Darkness is the best 'making of' documentary I've seen. Just as interesting as the film itself. It's a miracle Apocalypse Now was ever completed.

It's inevitable that when a shoot lasts so long ...

On the subject of that, anybody seen Russian Ark? The entire film was shot in a single 96 minute take. And that's not using a single stage either - they use a steadycam to film it throughout the Winter Palace in St Petersberg (ie: the Hermitage museum)

It's a must-see for anybody who has any interest in Russian history.

On the subject of Vietnam, I recommend "The Fog of War". It's a reasonably recent documentary (early 2000's) based on an interview with Robert MacNamara who was Defence Secretary during the Vietnam War.

If you're a guns 'n guts kind of a movie goer, it's not your thing.

If you're curious about the hindsight reflections and life lessons learnt by one of the key prosecutors of that war - it's a fascinating watch.

I was thinking of starting this exact same thread not that long ago! I forgot about it and never got around to making it.

For me, I just can't watch serious movies (except for classic horror movies - and even then, they can still be ridiculous), and I tend to laugh at inappropriate moments, especially overly dramatic acting. I love watching silly comedy movies or over-the-top action movies. One movie I rediscovered recently was 'The Burbs' with Tom Hanks. It's a weird '80s comedy movie, with horror themes to it and dark humour. It's set in a typical perfect American neighbourhood with one run down house. New neighbours move in and no one knows who they are. People start suspecting that they have been murdering people, and a group of bumbling neighbours investigate. Hilarity ensues. There are so many classic lines in this movie! Never fails to crack me up.

I'm a massive Jim Carrey fan too. 'Ace Ventura: Pet Detective' could be my favourite movie ever. So many hilarious scenes. Jim Carrey is a comedy genius! 'The Mask' is another one of his classic movies.

As far as over-the-top action movies go, you can't beat Arnold Schwarzenegger. My favourite Arnie movie is 'Last Action Hero', which is so incredibly underrated! I just can't believe people don't like this movie! Both an action and a comedy movie, and incredibly entertaining. That's how I rate movies. Not based on whether it has amazing acting or whatever. If it entertains me then I'm happy.

On the subject of Vietnam, I recommend "The Fog of War". It's a reasonably recent documentary (early 2000's) based on an interview with Robert MacNamara who was Defence Secretary during the Vietnam War.

If you're a guns 'n guts kind of a movie goer, it's not your thing.

If you're curious about the hindsight reflections and life lessons learnt by one of the key prosecutors of that war - it's a fascinating watch.
It's Errol Morris, who is probably my favourite documentarian, who's responsible for other classics like The Thin Blue Line and A Brief History of Time, and what he gets McNamara to talk about is incredible.

I wouldn't put him in the category of master director, but I think Tarrantino created a masterpiece in Pulp Fiction. Sadly, he just got a bit silly after that, and he's been on a freefall plummet ever since.
Don't agree at all. I'm an unabashed Tarantino fan, and while I can get why some people might not have enjoyed Jackie Brown or Inglourious Basterds, I will not stand for anyone talking smack about Kill Bill.

I was thinking of starting this exact same thread not that long ago! I forgot about it and never got around to making it.

For me, I just can't watch serious movies (except for classic horror movies - and even then, they can still be ridiculous), and I tend to laugh at inappropriate moments, especially overly dramatic acting. I love watching silly comedy movies or over-the-top action movies. One movie I rediscovered recently was 'The Burbs' with Tom Hanks. It's a weird '80s comedy movie, with horror themes to it and dark humour. It's set in a typical perfect American neighbourhood with one run down house. New neighbours move in and no one knows who they are. People start suspecting that they have been murdering people, and a group of bumbling neighbours investigate. Hilarity ensues. There are so many classic lines in this movie! Never fails to crack me up.

I'm a massive Jim Carrey fan too. 'Ace Ventura: Pet Detective' could be my favourite movie ever. So many hilarious scenes. Jim Carrey is a comedy genius! 'The Mask' is another one of his classic movies.

As far as over-the-top action movies go, you can't beat Arnold Schwarzenegger. My favourite Arnie movie is 'Last Action Hero', which is so incredibly underrated! I just can't believe people don't like this movie! Both an action and a comedy movie, and incredibly entertaining. That's how I rate movies. Not based on whether it has amazing acting or whatever. If it entertains me then I'm happy.
As far as classic horror films go try and get your hands on a copy "don.t look Now" an intelligent man,s horror film also "Exorcist" put,s all these wannabe horror flick,s to shame as do the early flick,s of Argento.

It's Errol Morris, who is probably my favourite documentarian, who's responsible for other classics like The Thin Blue Line and A Brief History of Time, and what he gets McNamara to talk about is incredible.

Don't agree at all. I'm an unabashed Tarantino fan, and while I can get why some people might not have enjoyed Jackie Brown or Inglourious Basterds, I will not stand for anyone talking smack about Kill Bill.
I think Tarantino had one great film in him and as you say he already made it with Pulp Fiction and his early films are better than anything he has done for a while.
True romance was a good film that he either wrote the screenplay or directed and reservoir dogs is also good Jackie Brown I liked but I cannot come at either Bill 1 or 2.

As far as classic horror films go try and get your hands on a copy "don.t look Now" an intelligent man,s horror film also "Exorcist" put,s all these wannabe horror flick,s to shame as do the early flick,s of Argento.
Thanks, I'll check it out. Classic horror movies are so much better than modern horror. Modern horror doesn't even compare.

I really, really love the first 'Halloween' movie. That would rank in my top 5 movies of all-time. I saw it when I was a kid and I still love it just as much as I used to. The soundtrack in that film works so well and I can't picture it without it. John Carpenter is probably my favourite director too. 'The Shining' is another classic that I re-watched recently.

Give me suspense over gore any day!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I swear that somebody must have spiked my popcorn with LSD when I went to see that film.
Superb Film,the Italians were making outstanding films still at that time lost the plot in the 80,s but then so did everyone,You can count on 1 hand how many great films have been made since Raging Bull in 1980.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Classic horror movies are so much better than modern horror. Modern horror doesn't even compare.

I really, really love the first 'Halloween' movie. That would rank in my top 5 movies of all-time. I saw it when I was a kid and I still love it just as much as I used to. The soundtrack in that film works so well and I can't picture it without it. John Carpenter is probably my favourite director too. 'The Shining' is another classic that I re-watched recently.

Give me suspense over gore any day!
The Shining is a very good film "Here come,s Johnny" chilling and his gradual plunge into madness.Dario Argento is a very good maker of horror films but only his early ones he has become a "bucket of blood" merchant in recent years.

I wouldn't put him in the category of master director, but I think Tarrantino created a masterpiece in Pulp Fiction. Sadly, he just got a bit silly after that, and he's been on a freefall plummet ever since.

Can't disagree more! He is one of my all time favourite directors alongside Hiyao Miyazaki and Wes Anderson. The only movie of his which I didn't feel was great was Jackie Brown. I love his ability to attack and canibalise from different genres that he loves. Some may see this as unoriginal (I have had this argument before) or perhaps conflicted but I think it is fantastic. I also really appreciate movies with strong dialogue. So many cool lines in his movies.

Are you a fan of Edgar Howard Wright movies? Sounds like Shaun of the Dead and some of the other movies like Hot Fuzz and Scott Pilgrim Vs the World would be right up your alley!

I think Tarantino had one great film in him and as you say he already made it with Pulp Fiction and his early films are better than anything he has done for a while.
True romance was a good film that he either wrote the screenplay or directed and reservoir dogs is also good Jackie Brown I liked but I cannot come at either Bill 1 or 2.

He didn't direct True Romance just wrote it. Still one of my faves. The scene with Anthony Hopkins and Christopher Walken when his old man won't rat his son out but knows what's coming to him is simply awesome.

He didn't direct True Romance just wrote it. Still one of my faves. The scene with Anthony Hopkins and Christopher Walken when his old man won't rat his son out but knows what's coming to him is simply awesome.
Did you like blue velvet or eraserhead,Lynch is another director who started strong and has fallen away,Quicky that scene in the caravan with @ crazy men Walken and the other was Dennis Hopper another crazy b------ and a star turn from Gary Oldman as a wannabe Jamaican drug dealer you are right that was a fine film.

Tarantino has got a lot of his ideas from watching the films of John Woo and wa Kai wah and some of Peckinpah,s stuff as well who made a couple of good films.

I really like films from the 70,s it was a great decade for film makers all around the world,both Scorsese and Coppola have never since made films the equal of their films from that time and other great films like Chinatown and 1 flew over the cuckoo,s nest.Mallick also emerged then with Badlands another superb film and Bogdanovic with Last picture show and What,s up doc.

The Europeans were also top notch at that time as were Shoei Immamura and Akira Kurosawa in Japan.

But we do agree Pulp Fiction was a masterpiece? ;)
Funny you should post that. I watched 'Pulp Fiction' for the first time ever last night on TV. Amazing movie! Thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved the dark humour in it too.

Are you a fan of Edgar Howard Wright movies? Sounds like Shaun of the Dead and some of the other movies like Hot Fuzz and Scott Pilgrim Vs the World would be right up your alley!
I've seen 'Shaun of the Dead' and 'Scott Pilgrim'. Both are great films. I've never watched 'Hot Fuzz' though. I wasn't aware that 'Shaun of the Dead' and 'Scott Pilgrim' were directed by the same guy. I'll have to check out more of his movies.

The Shining is a very good film "Here come,s Johnny" chilling and his gradual plunge into madness.Dario Argento is a very good maker of horror films but only his early ones he has become a "bucket of blood" merchant in recent years.
Every time I watch 'The Shining' I'm blown away by how good it is. I watched it when I was quite young and the bathtub scene gave me nightmares for months! I just love the slow build up. Jack Nicholson is so intense in that movie.

Funny you should post that. I watched 'Pulp Fiction' for the first time ever last night on TV. Amazing movie! Thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved the dark humour in it too.

I've seen 'Shaun of the Dead' and 'Scott Pilgrim'. Both are great films. I've never watched 'Hot Fuzz' though. I wasn't aware that 'Shaun of the Dead' and 'Scott Pilgrim' were directed by the same guy. I'll have to check out more of his movies.

Every time I watch 'The Shining' I'm blown away by how good it is. I watched it when I was quite young and the bathtub scene gave me nightmares for months! I just love the slow build up. Jack Nicholson is so intense in that movie.
No point talking about horror movies if An American Werewolf in London isn't going to come up - Complete and total masterpiece of horror movie making.

No point talking about horror movies if An American Werewolf in London isn't going to come up - Complete and total masterpiece of horror movie making.
I will pay that,no doubt as you say a masterpiece of horror film making:thumbsu: and I love the song too.

A few years back I discovered Macquarie University (for the Sydney folk) run a movie night every once in a while.

But here's the wonderful thing: the movie is hosted by a department of the Univerisity who use the movie as a topic of discussion about their research. And after the movie showing they do a presentation about their research (wrt the movie) and they then run an audience Q&A session.

When I went along they screened the movie "Donnie Darko" (great film) and it was hosted by the department of Psychology who used the movie to create a discussion about psychosis. It was fascinating.

I'd be surprised if Macquarie are the only Uni doing it - if it sounds like something you'd be interested in, I'd recommend you check out a University near you to see if they run such a thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back