Streaming The Netflix Thread

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched outside the Wire cause I saw a Guardian review that gave it three stars, which is pretty good given it's not really a Guardian type movie. But I don't think it knew what it wanted to be, not even sure it knew what message it wanted to convey. Just all over the shop and even got a bit boring towards the end. interesting premise but didn't know what to do with it.

Just binged the last Kingdom.

Tried watching it years back and again struggled with the early parts of season 1 but once i got through it and onto season 2...Loving it!
I read the books and the TV show was basically the same story. Nothing really new, just book in video form.

Probably not for those who only like fast pacing or dislike subtitles because they can’t play on their phones at the same time,, but I’ve really enjoyed a few wonderful non-English language shows lately.
Ethos - a beautifully made Turkish drama with great dialogue.and characterisation. Really subtle humour at times and an amazing insight into contemporary rural Turkish culture. Top notch single season.
Shtisel - set in an ultra orthodox Jewish community in Tel Aviv, the story of a young man and his rabbi father’s seemingly fruitless attempts to marry him off. Great side characters too. Two seasons, with a third apparently on the way.
Fauda - a kind of middle eastern version of The Shield, with unhinged Israeli cops pitched against Palestinian terrorists, which doesn’t so much blur the lines between good and bad guys as portray them all as alternating somewhere in between. Couple of seasons so far.
Unorthodox is brilliant too.

Last edited:
Yes, Vikings was much better. I found it much more compelling.
You must have stopped watching a few years ago then, the recent few seasons have me questioning why I still bother watching it. The Last Kingdom has been much better.

You must have stopped watching a few years ago then, the recent few seasons have me questioning why I still bother watching it. The Last Kingdom has been much better.
Agreed. Vikings was great in the early years but hit and miss since. Last Kingdom is no GoT or anything but it’s better than Vikings - doesn’t get boring.

Anyone else watching Superstore, it's surprisingly very funny.
Yes, watched up to the bit in Episode 1 where the newbie fell over the toilet rolls. I had to turn it off because I nearly died of lack of oxygen from laughing. Have not been back. Does it get better does it?

The Ripper. I'm almost finished it. Pretty good documentary, but so far, not as critical of the police as it should be. They made a hash of everything. Were judgemental about the victims and went off in completely the wrong direction with their investigation.
I finished watching this the other day and I thought that the doco didn't really have to be overtly critical of the police, simply because the police incompetence was manifest just by the way they told the story. It was nigh on unbelievable.

I finished watching this the other day and I thought that the doco didn't really have to be overtly critical of the police, simply because the police incompetence was manifest just by the way they told the story. It was nigh on unbelievable.

I have watched the final couple of episodes since my post and think they ended up covering the incompetence pretty well.

I guess it was made with people not having prior knowledge watching it and kind of made it somewhat suspenseful, then showed how badly wrong they got it at the end.

Yes, watched up to the bit in Episode 1 where the newbie fell over the toilet rolls. I had to turn it off because I nearly died of lack of oxygen from laughing. Have not been back. Does it get better does it?
It does. I began it on a recommendation with the caveat it gets much better by season 2. Its Rotten Tomatoes score in season 1 is about 60, it’s 100 for seasons 2 and 3. It’s an ensemble, a lot like Brooklyn Nine Nine, it will completely depend on how much you like the characters. By the midway point of season 1, I could clearly see the potential, by the end, I really liked them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Netflix Australia is a ******* embarrassment.

What, 40 s**t movies this year (since 1st of Jan). Most are foreign Asian or Indian garbage, and the rest are thinly vailed Doco's.

They're happy to up the charges by telling everyone more content was going to be available late last year. Get ****ed Netflix.

What a s**t show.

Nothing worse than investing hours in garbage. Sounds like you have to invest in 3-4 hours of garbage before you get quality. Fair crack of the whip
As I say, 100 per cent RT score from season 2-5. Season 1 is 10 eps at 20 mins each and it’s pretty clear half way through (so 100 mins) that it has strong potential. No one’s saying you have to watch 22 one-hour episodes before it starts to get bearable. But it’s your time.

Watched outside the Wire cause I saw a Guardian review that gave it three stars, which is pretty good given it's not really a Guardian type movie. But I don't think it knew what it wanted to be, not even sure it knew what message it wanted to convey. Just all over the shop and even got a bit boring towards the end. interesting premise but didn't know what to do with it.

Wanted to chip in to agree with this, and that Spectral also seems to follow the same path - sci-fi elements with an interesting premise and well-done set pieces, but didn't know what to do with it. You can sort of see why these movies (eg Bright, 6 Underground etc) are on Netflix - some promise in the story but lacking execution to warrant box office release.

I hope they do better in 2021.

If you liked this show, you would probably like the Aussie version, Rostered On, also on Netflix.
Same format 22 minute episodes so it is an easy watch.
Thanks. I should add that Superstore can be hit and miss, but it's so silly it appeals to me for some reason.

I started watching Call My Agent! and I am totally addicted, It can best be described as a very French Extras. I love all the characters and many French movie stars take the piss playing versions of themselves. Sad that there is only 4 seasons of 6 episodes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back