Toast The New Carlton Thread: 5 wooden spoons this century (next worst is 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

When Coleman went off. Game completely changed. My take away. Blues vey susceptible to fast movement from the oppo D50. When the heat was on in first a lot were missing. Donā€™t think they have enough leg speed and elite kicks to be a top 4 side. They will make finals again. However if they keep getting the ump decisions they will finish top 2.
Coleman is a massive blow for Brisbane

And how do we stop it? Or more importantly win it before they do?

This would be the worst possible nightmare for us, finally we get to the top of the tree in the competition over the course of the competition only for the filth to take the mantle off us.

Many on these boards, are dismissing the blose, coz they don't like them and not taking them seriously, so it's fingers in the ears singing la la la trying to ignore it.

But they should take them seriously, the blose are scoring off ball movement now, no longer are they grinding out wins on the back of cp, this gives their forward half better looks when i50, instead of just willing the contest win and hope to score that way.

Now, to the real worrying questions, for the last two years we've had a system to win it, that being we'll just outnumber you at the ball, we lose that ball and we're exposed to be scored against - but we didn't care, we just outnumbered then turn on the jets and 'out hurt' the opposition.

The opposition seem to have found ways to expose our 'swarm and spread' game (or a variant thereof), as Fly stated in the presser after the giants loss, to paraphrase, 'the opposition takes things away from us'

Not to mention, the 'intensity' seems to have dropped off, to paraphrase David King 'that metre off'.

So is it case of just bringing the intensity back and everything will be aok? (Doubt it!) Or do we have to tweak the game plan, or re invent the wheel or somewhere in between? Or both?, for argument sake I think our intensity has dropped off, but fixing this part won't be enough IMO.

So how do we 'fix' or 'come up with something new' to bamboozle the opposition, like we have since Fly walked in?

I haven't even touched on the personnel / list angle of it yet. Which by the way, we won it with not the best list in it, our system like Bucks's back in 18 wasn't as personnel reliant as other teams.

But now, that our system has been 'worked out' and 'stoppable', the list deficiencies are a worry. The age of Pendles, Sides and Howe (how long can they continue influence), the lack of a truly dominant KPF and now the seemingly exposed KPD's with the absence of Murph. There's many thread discussions on our list, positive and negative.

Is the list in your mind the only issue? Do we have the list to win it before the blose?

Coz there'd be nothing worse than finally being the undisputed King, where we belong, only for it to be short lived for 12 or 24 months.

We have to win it again before they do (or the bombouts)

Personally I think we'll improve from our level right now, just how much I don't know, probably contend again, how I'm not sure, but that's moot if the blose win the whole box and dice before us.

although carlton not winning premierships is excellent, i'd be more worried about the eagles winning one ahead of the pies for two reasons. i live in perth and the eagles are painful and secondly, it would mean that we're broken because the eagles will take 8 years to win a flag and if we cant win one in 8 years then we've lost any positive organisational behaviours from the last two years and we're back to stumbling along disfunctionally with useless leadership.

although carlton not winning premierships is excellent, i'd be more worried about the eagles winning one ahead of the pies for two reasons. i live in perth and the eagles are painful and secondly, it would mean that we're broken because the eagles will take 8 years to win a flag and if we cant win one in 8 years then we've lost any positive organisational behaviours from the last two years and we're back to stumbling along disfunctionally with useless leadership.
Good point, they'd be ahead of us on averages of team performance over the course of time in the competition for either club.

Not really worried about wc or the bombouts for that matter atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

200.gif

Who knows. It's possible but it's also unpredictable. They've got enough talent but so do we. I think atm, there are a couple of sides ahead of both of us. I don't think Carlton have or will improve enough this year to win the flag. I still think we have another flag in us over the next 2 years

Quite a few on this board have not experienced a successful Carlton era - its a horrendous thing to live through.

Indeed. However we will hopefully not see another one as
  • they no longer have the best country zone handed to them on a platter
  • they are no longer able to cheat every player payment system that's ever existed
  • they used up about 500 years worth of dumb luck during the 70s and 80s

Quite a few on this board have not experienced a successful Carlton era - its a horrendous thing to live through.
Quite so - the scars of 1970 linger and will until we reverse that particular tragedy

And how do we stop it? Or more importantly win it before they do?

This would be the worst possible nightmare for us, finally we get to the top of the tree in the competition over the course of the competition only for the filth to take the mantle off us.

Many on these boards, are dismissing the blose, coz they don't like them and not taking them seriously, so it's fingers in the ears singing la la la trying to ignore it.

But they should take them seriously, the blose are scoring off ball movement now, no longer are they grinding out wins on the back of cp, this gives their forward half better looks when i50, instead of just willing the contest win and hope to score that way.

Now, to the real worrying questions, for the last two years we've had a system to win it, that being we'll just outnumber you at the ball, we lose that ball and we're exposed to be scored against - but we didn't care, we just outnumbered then turn on the jets and 'out hurt' the opposition.

The opposition seem to have found ways to expose our 'swarm and spread' game (or a variant thereof), as Fly stated in the presser after the giants loss, to paraphrase, 'the opposition takes things away from us'

Not to mention, the 'intensity' seems to have dropped off, to paraphrase David King 'that metre off'.

So is it case of just bringing the intensity back and everything will be aok? (Doubt it!) Or do we have to tweak the game plan, or re invent the wheel or somewhere in between? Or both?, for argument sake I think our intensity has dropped off, but fixing this part won't be enough IMO.

So how do we 'fix' or 'come up with something new' to bamboozle the opposition, like we have since Fly walked in?

I haven't even touched on the personnel / list angle of it yet. Which by the way, we won it with not the best list in it, our system like Bucks's back in 18 wasn't as personnel reliant as other teams.

But now, that our system has been 'worked out' and 'stoppable', the list deficiencies are a worry. The age of Pendles, Sides and Howe (how long can they continue influence), the lack of a truly dominant KPF and now the seemingly exposed KPD's with the absence of Murph. There's many thread discussions on our list, positive and negative.

Is the list in your mind the only issue? Do we have the list to win it before the blose?

Coz there'd be nothing worse than finally being the undisputed King, where we belong, only for it to be short lived for 12 or 24 months.

We have to win it again before they do (or the bombouts)

Personally I think we'll improve from our level right now, just how much I don't know, probably contend again, how I'm not sure, but that's moot if the blose win the whole box and dice before us.
Please delete the first half of this post.
The paranoia is embarrassing and would be a delight for any Blues fan to read.

Voss is a crap coach.
Nothing to fear here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back