Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

17077375_1020609488083259_532761779348963328_n.jpg

17127253_266574463781634_8283265762332770304_n.jpg
Yeah definitely should built it in Subi :rolleyes:

Stunning!

Yeah definitely should built it in Subi :rolleyes:

Stunning!

Newly elected Premier McGowan said this morning on 6pr radio news he was going to have to clean up the Stadium financial mess left by Barnett.
Mentioned the final funding deals for the Eagles and Dockers at the new Stadium still not completed after months of negotiations.

Newly elected Premier McGowan said this morning on 6pr radio news he was going to have to clean up the Stadium financial mess left by Barnett.
Mentioned the final funding deals for the Eagles and Dockers at the new Stadium still not completed after months of negotiations.

Who is going to drive this, McGowan, Mick Murray, Paul Papalia .... give it to Quiggles & it will be fixed this week.

International Cricket Mode:

MMZTkZO.jpg

Big Bash League Mode:

dIQcoiO.jpg

Rugby Mode:

RFDQA1c.jpg

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

In Cricket mode, if they're going to loss a few hundred/thousand seats behind the wickets on both wings, I wonder if there's any reason they can't install the end "bumper" seating (in Rugby/Soccer mode) that would be square to the wicket for Cricket. Doing so would narrow that axis down to 164.8m which is still easily wide enough for all versions of Cricket (wider than the WACA) and makes up roughly another 2000 seats.

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

In Cricket mode, if they're going to loss a few hundred/thousand seats behind the wickets on both wings, I wonder if there's any reason they can't install the end "bumper" seating (in Rugby/Soccer mode) that would be square to the wicket for Cricket. Doing so would narrow that axis down to 164.8m which is still easily wide enough for all versions of Cricket (wider than the WACA) and makes up roughly another 2000 seats.
Good idea. Plus a swimming pool

The new stadium looks good, what I find amusing is how the old grounds such as Subi and Football park get bad mouthed at every opportunity. They've been brilliant grounds have s**t loads of history and with a bit of love and attention would've coped with AFL action for years, but when the latest shiny new thing comes in the propaganda starts.

The new stadium looks good, what I find amusing is how the old grounds such as Subi and Football park get bad mouthed at every opportunity. They've been brilliant grounds have s**t loads of history and with a bit of love and attention would've coped with AFL action for years, but when the latest shiny new thing comes in the propaganda starts.

Football park was old. It had a shallow bowl, most of the crowd had no cover, it lacked facilities etc etc.

Subi, built in bits, and it showed, cramped, didnt really have appropriate capacity, etc etc.

Both could have held AFL games for years but compared to most of the other major grounds they really didnt stack up.

AO, state of the art, good cover, comfortable, great facilities, better parking (ie you can park in the city), better transport options, (bus, rail, car and limited tram), it gets more use being shared with cricket, its location is far better for Adelaide + + +

Perth, much more appropriate capacity for both football and cricket, way way more comfortable (ie actual seats not crowded wooden benches with * all leg room), improved transport access, great facilities for everyone, players, fans, officials,

The only way footy park and subi would have survived much longer is if they were knocked down and started again. They just weren't up to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair point referring to history, but do you live in WA? 95% of games I've been to have been at subi, and I can tell you viewing, ATM access, Toilet facilities, Food prices/variety/access, seating, and general accessibility is all very sub par and not up to the standard a AFL fanatic state deserves.

Having been to both Etihad and the G for the first time in the past 6-7 years, I was blown away with how amazing and superior they both were to subi oval. I'm not sure it's fair for a Victorian to question our dislike for a WA stadium we know like the back of our hand and have sunk money into for years on end.

(Last game I attended, to be fair I'm 6"4, but it was still unacceptable...)
IMG_1167.jpg

Last edited:

Spoken like someone whose never been to either.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that Subi is soulless, but you have to look pretty hard to find elements of nostalgia which are actually welcome (ie. not wooden benches that cram people in like sardines). The suburban grounds in Melbourne, even Princes Park due to it's location you get that familiarity as to with your own local footy experiences with the sights, smells and viewing proximity.

I would recommend you actually go to Adelaide Oval and experience the enthusiasm of the masses of crowds streaming in from restaurants, bars, pubs and hotels in the CBD over the bridge and into one of the most aesthetically and ergonomically pleasing venues I have ever seen. You cannot tell me with a straight face that a drive out to the suburbs parking, at a generic shopping centre and going into a serviceable but dilapitated venue provides a remotely similar experience.

Spoken like someone whose never been to either.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that Subi is soulless, but you have to look pretty hard to find elements of nostalgia which are actually welcome (ie. not wooden benches that cram people in like sardines). The suburban grounds in Melbourne, even Princes Park due to it's location you get that familiarity as to with your own local footy experiences with the sights, smells and viewing proximity.

I would recommend you actually go to Adelaide Oval and experience the enthusiasm of the masses of crowds streaming in from restaurants, bars, pubs and hotels in the CBD over the bridge and into one of the most aesthetically and ergonomically pleasing venues I have ever seen. You cannot tell me with a straight face that a drive out to the suburbs parking, at a generic shopping centre and going into a serviceable but dilapitated venue provides a remotely similar experience.
Been to both son.

The eastern end of subi was a hill in the 90s. I'm not sure that qualifies as old

Subi Oval - restricted site prevented proper redevelopment, poor facilities, wooden seats, mostly not covered, stands poorly linked, very unhelpful local Council, 3 tier stand concrete cancer, etc. Would have needed way more than some love to bring up to standard.

Have never been to Footy Park but Subi sucks. The surface is great and it has historical significance as the home of WA football but as a stadium it has very little going for it. To appreciate how poor Subi is you only need to go to NIB Stadium which is half the capacity and fairly low-spec as modern arenas go. You can get in and out of your seat, and when in your seat that you fit in as a normal sized person you have a good view of the game.

SCG Members Stand:

Members%20stand%20large.jpg

Subi 3 Tier Stand:

197309-subiaco.jpg

The WACA is no better. Whoever was in charge of stadiums in Perth in the 20th century should give themselves an uppercut. It frustrates me no end the historic buildings that have been demolished in the city yet we have the least functional and aesthetic stadiums going around.

Was going along the Causeway just before 6am this morning and teh testing was still going. The colours were very strong and vibrant. The effect inside will look great based off that. The pictures and videos don't quite do it justice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back