AFL announces 4.5billion, 7 year media deal (2025-2031 inclusive)

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you think about the idea for Friday nights in WA? 10pm over in the East, 8pm over in the West.
Only question is the crowds, otherwise good.
Note my comments on Sunday late were to owning the time slot. Leading into a bye would be fine. Its a good concept with the byes.

If the game is on FTA, I think it's a no brainer. 7pm eastern is the most watched time on TV. If it's on Fox I agree it's not worth it. Plus there's enough Monday public holidays around the country that I reckon you could do 8 Sunday Nights in Perth, 8 Late Friday Nights in Perth and 8 Sunday Nights / Public Holiday games in other states. So it's not Freo getting all 11 home games at Sunday 4pm, but probably 4 to 6.
Its tied into the following game for the WA clubs whereas its not the same issue if you arent travelling.
I took owning a time slot to be regular.

Its tied into the following game for the WA clubs whereas its not the same issue if you arent travelling.
I took owning a time slot to be regular.
Well the WA teams would get the bulk of them, and could make it into something they own, but the AFL would be free to fixture any game into those times

I wonder if AFL created Sunday night football exclusively in Perth or Adelaide, would fans turn up to it? The same was once said about Thursday night football, and look at how popular that timeslot is now.

Not sure why owning it has a benefit to WA clubs, pls explain.
Perth teams complain about being shafted on FTA. Friday nights are primetime, the number 1 slot to have. But they miss out. Partly because of the timezone difference (a 6pm start on a Friday isn't ideal). What I'm proposing is that we create two new times when games can be played which takes advantage of the timezone difference, and gets Perth teams that FTA exposure that they want (better sponsorship deals etc).

Friday 7pm or 8pm (west) / 10pm (east)
Sunday 4pm or 5pm (west) / 7pm (east)

Both slots have pros and cons. Friday 10pm out east won't have the same TV audience as 7pm, but as part of a double header could be quite successful. Not sure if 6pm/9pm or 7pm/10pm (eastern times) would work better, I think a trial of both is needed.

Sunday 7pm is without a doubt the most watched time for FTA, so having an AFL game there with national exposure would be huge. The issue is that a game starting at 4 or 5pm before a workday is meh, not bad (like Monday 7pm), but not great either.

So the trade off on Sundays is that fans get shafted for TV, where as the Friday the trade off is that TV gets shafted for fans. So ideally you do an equal amount of both so it evens out. I reckon 8 total of each is about right, because the remaining 6-8 rounds can be shared around the country with Monday public holidays and the like.

So you end up with rounds that can look like (8 game rounds, because byes will be needed to sustain Thursday nights):

Thursday 7pm
Friday 8pm
Saturday 2pm/5pm/8pm
Sunday 1pm/4pm/7pm

or

Thursday 7pm
Friday 7pm/10pm (6pm/9pm)
Saturday 2pm/5pm/8pm
Sunday 1pm/4pm

or

Thursday 7pm
Friday 8pm
Saturday 2pm/5pm/8pm
Sunday 3pm/7pm (because of public holiday, 7pm game can be played outside WA)
Monday 3pm

Perth teams complain about being shafted on FTA. Friday nights are primetime, the number 1 slot to have. But they miss out. Partly because of the timezone difference (a 6pm start on a Friday isn't ideal). What I'm proposing is that we create two new times when games can be played which takes advantage of the timezone difference, and gets Perth teams that FTA exposure that they want (better sponsorship deals etc).

Friday 7pm or 8pm (west) / 10pm (east)
Sunday 4pm or 5pm (west) / 7pm (east)

Both slots have pros and cons. Friday 10pm out east won't have the same TV audience as 7pm, but as part of a double header could be quite successful. Not sure if 6pm/9pm or 7pm/10pm (eastern times) would work better, I think a trial of both is needed.

Sunday 7pm is without a doubt the most watched time for FTA, so having an AFL game there with national exposure would be huge. The issue is that a game starting at 4 or 5pm before a workday is meh, not bad (like Monday 7pm), but not great either.

So the trade off on Sundays is that fans get shafted for TV, where as the Friday the trade off is that TV gets shafted for fans. So ideally you do an equal amount of both so it evens out. I reckon 8 total of each is about right, because the remaining 6-8 rounds can be shared around the country with Monday public holidays and the like.

So you end up with rounds that can look like (8 game rounds, because byes will be needed to sustain Thursday nights):

Thursday 7pm
Friday 8pm
Saturday 2pm/5pm/8pm
Sunday 1pm/4pm/7pm

or

Thursday 7pm
Friday 7pm/10pm (6pm/9pm)
Saturday 2pm/5pm/8pm
Sunday 1pm/4pm

or

Thursday 7pm
Friday 8pm
Saturday 2pm/5pm/8pm
Sunday 3pm/7pm (because of public holiday, 7pm game can be played outside WA)
Monday 3pm

Arent pretty much all WA club games on FTA in WA ?
So its about what, exposure on FTA in Melbourne ?

Arent pretty much all WA club games on FTA in WA ?
So its about what, exposure on FTA in Melbourne ?
National Exposure. Yes games are on FTA in WA, but Hungry Jacks doesn't want WA exposure, they want national exposure. I'm always hearing about how it's unfair that the FTA games are always big Vic clubs like Collingwood and Richmond. Well here's a way to fix that.

National Exposure. Yes games are on FTA in WA, but Hungry Jacks doesn't want WA exposure, they want national exposure. I'm always hearing about how it's unfair that the FTA games are always big Vic clubs like Collingwood and Richmond. Well here's a way to fix that.
This solution will create problems not fix a financial situation that is fine as it stands.
IF Jack Cowin ( Hungry Jacks) were worried by the current arrangement there are plenty of alternatives for him (move clubs or rebrand the Eagles with Domino's).
Happy for the WA clubs to participate, carrying the load would be a dreadful decision if it was up to the clubs.

This solution will create problems not fix a financial situation that is fine as it stands.
IF Jack Cowin ( Hungry Jacks) were worried by the current arrangement there are plenty of alternatives for him (move clubs or rebrand the Eagles with Domino's).
Happy for the WA clubs to participate, carrying the load would be a dreadful decision if it was up to the clubs.
I wasn't singling out Hungry Jacks. Just saying that clubs with more national FTA games make more on sponsorship, so this is one way that WA clubs can carve out a unique slot or two to increase said exposure. If you want to get stuck at 4pm Sunday on fox be my guest, but that's not how you build your club's brand.

I wasn't singling out Hungry Jacks. Just saying that clubs with more national FTA games make more on sponsorship, so this is one way that WA clubs can carve out a unique slot or two to increase said exposure. If you want to get stuck at 4pm Sunday on fox be my guest, but that's not how you build your club's brand.
if free to air was to get the sunday night slot - they wont want it btw as they want a national show (reality crap usually) at that timeslot - but say they do, what slot do they give up? or do they pay more than the last rights deal to get an extra game?

Running a successful club is a balance of on & off field as Cooky well knows, as does his protege Nisbett.

if free to air was to get the sunday night slot - they wont want it btw as they want a national show (reality crap usually) at that timeslot - but say they do, what slot do they give up? or do they pay more than the last rights deal to get an extra game?
For starters, they could move that 3pm game to 7pm as a trial in the current period. Keep fox at 1pm and 4pm. No overlap, and if it doesn't work they can put it back to 3pm. Ch9 has MAFS on a Sunday night, but Ch7 and Ch10 have nothing really. Big Brother or the Project won't out rate the AFL on a Sunday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Healy was suggesting a 2022 start & I agree. Its the last game of the round that JZ seems to want to put on the WA clubs if only because the late Sunday games are a 'death' spot in Melbourne for crowds.

Last edited:
Disagree all you like, its not as if Healys rework of the game schedule cant be shared about (making all clubs travel off a Sunday home game?o_O ).
I disagree with "Its the last game of the round that JZ seems to want to put on the WA clubs if only because the late Sunday games are a 'death' spot in Melbourne for crowds."

You could at least quote me instead of making me find a mention.

What I'm trying to say is that it doesn't have to be a death spot, it's fox's highest rating game of the round after thursday/friday night, and it's FTA's highest rating night. So you give the WA teams a few of these for commercial reasons (and fans will come, Geelong v North at 4.40pm was a near sellout, the SA clubs at 4.40pm sell their sunday twilight games out week in week out), and yes it's kinda s**t for the fans, but no different to any other team that gets a 4.40pm game on a sunday, and in return you give the WA clubs an equal amount of proper friday night games at 7pm or 8pm local time.

Does that not seem like a workable proposition? It has nothing to do with Melbourne (teams, clubs, fans or crowds etc), and everything about finding ways to give more games exclusivity and to reduce (hopefully elimiate) overlap.

I disagree with "Its the last game of the round that JZ seems to want to put on the WA clubs if only because the late Sunday games are a 'death' spot in Melbourne for crowds."

You could at least quote me instead of making me find a mention.

What I'm trying to say is that it doesn't have to be a death spot, it's fox's highest rating game of the round after thursday/friday night, and it's FTA's highest rating night. So you give the WA teams a few of these for commercial reasons (and fans will come, Geelong v North at 4.40pm was a near sellout, the SA clubs at 4.40pm sell their sunday twilight games out week in week out), and yes it's kinda sh*t for the fans, but no different to any other team that gets a 4.40pm game on a sunday, and in return you give the WA clubs an equal amount of proper friday night games at 7pm or 8pm local time.

Does that not seem like a workable proposition? It has nothing to do with Melbourne (teams, clubs, fans or crowds etc), and everything about finding ways to give more games exclusivity and to reduce (hopefully elimiate) overlap.
I see the late Sunday game as a false economy, more to lose with a reduced recovery time leading into an away game with air travel 10 times each season.
The suggested financial gain isnt real, more money for on field pain is a dud deal & that should be spread across the comp.

As I've said before, the concept of 24 rounds/2 byes is great & the suggestion of 2022 to introduce is fine by me.
Its the idea of loading extra games* on the WA clubs that I object to.

*call it whatever you like.

Kwality it looks like West Coast v Richmond will be Rd13, Sunday at 5.10pm local time (7.10pm for the eastern states). Time is ripe to trial this awesome time slot for the WA teams and to see the $$$ roll in.

Kwality it looks like West Coast v Richmond will be Rd13, Sunday at 5.10pm local time (7.10pm for the eastern states). Time is ripe to trial this awesome time slot for the WA teams and to see the $$$ roll in.
The actual match is listed to start at 7.40 on Fox and the AFL website not 7.10. The 7.10 time will be the pre match stuff on CH7

The actual match is listed to start at 7.40 on Fox and the AFL website not 7.10. The 7.10 time will be the pre match stuff on CH7
Do you have a link to the AFL website? I can't see it there. Just what's been reported by journalists.

Where/ when is the next game is the point I am making.

Where/ when is the next game is the point I am making.
My example was something like this:

Rd 1: Sunday 7pm, West Coast play Richmond (OS)
Rd 1: Saturday 7pm, Adelaide v Freo (AO)

Rd 2: Saturday 4pm, Brisbane v West Coast (G)
Rd 2: Sunday 7pm, Freo v Geelong (OS)

Rd 3: Friday 10pm, West Coast v Collingwood (OS)
Rd 3: Sunday 1pm, Melbourne v Freo (MCG)

What if games were scheduled and broadcast rights auctioned, 6 weeks in advance?

Would it create greater revenue?

My example was something like this:

Rd 1: Sunday 7pm, West Coast play Richmond (OS)
Rd 1: Saturday 7pm, Adelaide v Freo (AO)

Rd 2: Saturday 4pm, Brisbane v West Coast (G)
Rd 2: Sunday 7pm, Freo v Geelong (OS)

Rd 3: Friday 10pm, West Coast v Collingwood (OS)
Rd 3: Sunday 1pm, Melbourne v Freo (MCG)
With respect my posts related to the Sunday late fixtures & the WA clubs 'owning them'.

With respect my posts related to the Sunday late fixtures & the WA clubs 'owning them'.
Well you should have said so. Your point is still un-clear. Can you elaborate?

Are you asking when will the AFL next fixture a Sunday night? Because clearly not this year unless covid forces them to, but that should not stop them from giving it another go if next Sunday night proves successful, as I predict.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back