Analysis The No-Sacking, No-Cussing, How-Can-We-Improve Thread 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually don't think the teams that are using the short chip kick to maintain possession is a result of any of the rule changes. It's an evolution of a game plan on the back of analysing statistics. But you're right, the way we are playing does stink. I hope to see some obvious changes in the next 2 weeks.
It is actually ....with teams not able to have a loose man behind the ball after goals .....it means the DEF is more one on one, which is resulting in less ability to run the ball out of DEF

Poor planning ! ....this scenario was always a possibility

Instead of just getting the dregs in the rookie draft for our ruckman, how about we use a decent draft pick to pick a ruck with some actual talent.
Everyone knows the rookie draft is a lottery, even more so for a ruckman.
It's about time we started using some top draft picks on some big guys, not just midfielders

Last edited:
Instead of just getting the dregs in the rookie draft for our ruckman, how about we use a decent draft pick to pick a ruck with some actual talent.
Everyone knows the rookie draft is a lottery, even more so for a ruckman.
It's about time we started using some top draft picks on some big guys, not just midfielders
Disagree.

A fair chunk of good rucks come from low to rookie picks. Clubs generally just don't see rucks as valuable.

Disagree.

A fair chunk of good rucks come from low to rookie picks. Clubs generally just don't see rucks as valuable.

Do you still think that after what Grundy did to Brisbane? A big, athletic ruckman controlled the taps, acted as an extra mid when the ball hit the ground and did huge damage around the ground. He'd make any midfield look like a million bucks.

Disagree.

I think that's part of the issue, and also that it takes so long for these talls to come on. So you develop them for years, and then if they aren't playing due to limited spots, you can pinch them off another list. Or someone pinches them off you.

That's what we did with Jacobs, and looking around the league few first rucks are with the clubs they were originally drafted by.

Grundy went 18 and Gawn 34 in the draft and are a couple of the few that have stayed where they were drafted. Natanui of course was early.

I agree that they are late to rookie picks unless they are absolute guns. Takes until 23-24 y.o. until you have any idea if they are much chop in most cases.

Shows what happens when senior players get dropped. Actually saw Atkins tackle and Mackay tackle then run and carry and kick a lace-out pass.
Himmelburg crashed packs, chased and tackled, Murphy put in a 4 quarter performance, Greenwood and CEY can play in the same team.
How much was playing our bunny the Suns? Playing the Saints back at Marvel will show if this is a false dawn.
Milera out for 4-6 is massive. Gallucci or ???

Shows what happens when senior players get dropped. Actually saw Atkins tackle and Mackay tackle then run and carry and kick a lace-out pass.
Himmelburg crashed packs, chased and tackled, Murphy put in a 4 quarter performance, Greenwood and CEY can play in the same team.
How much was playing our bunny the Suns? Playing the Saints back at Marvel will show if this is a false dawn.
Milera out for 4-6 is massive. Gallucci or ???

Not really. Saints are as much our bunnies as the Suns are (last time they beat us was 2011, but the thing with all of these streaks is they do break eventually), so there may not be much you could take out of a win here if that streak holds up.

Not really. Saints are as much our bunnies as the Suns are (last time they beat us was 2011, but the thing with all of these streaks is they do break eventually), so there may not be much you could take out of a win here.
In recent times they haven't been as chock full of confidence as they are now.... but we must win.

Not really. Saints are as much our bunnies as the Suns are (last time they beat us was 2011, but the thing with all of these streaks is they do break eventually), so there may not be much you could take out of a win here if that streak holds up.
If we were playing home Id say easy win. There were good signs especially Smithers charging from half back. Hopefully this frees up Laird. Hard to tell how good Saints are after playing the Dees.

In recent times they haven't been as chock full of confidence as they are now.... but we must win.

No doubt this has the potential to be a dangerous game, but we've well and truly had the wood on them this decade. Definitely must win though because at 2-4, it's not far off being at a point our season could be effectively ended, 3-3 is a much better position to look at spring boarding into the 8, especially with this season being pretty even so far.

If we were playing home Id say easy win. There were good signs especially Smithers charging from half back. Hopefully this frees up Laird. Hard to tell how good Saints are after playing the Dees.

Really, you can't tell much from any of their matches. Gold Coast, and Hawks are meh sides, good timing with playing Melbourne and Essendon seeing both hadn't hit a good bit of form by those points and Fremantle beat them. It's a poor to meh team getting a run on with a favorable draw (not to take anything away from them of course, you've still got to win them).

This season is showing a trend of “nothing is really a given these days”. A heavily depleted Tigers team 2 weeks ago beat up Port who were looking a million bucks at the time. Then Port responded by thrashing the Eagles in Perth, who are the reigning premiers and were looking great at the time.

On the “team A is team B’s bunny” reasoning, Hawks and North (away) have had the wood over us for yonks. Should we discard those results?

I’d say beating any team who’s 2nd after round 5 (ie. Saints) and playing away, would do us a whole lot of morale boosting goodness, bunny or not! Much different scenario against the Suns and us playing at home.

This season is showing a trend of “nothing is really a given these days”. A heavily depleted Tigers team 2 weeks ago beat up Port who were looking a million bucks at the time. Then Port responded by thrashing the Eagles in Perth, who are the reigning premiers and were looking great at the time.

On the “team A is team B’s bunny” reasoning, Hawks and North (away) have had the wood over us for yonks. Should we discard those results?

I’d say beating any team who’s 2nd after round 5 (ie. Saints) and playing away, would do us a whole lot of morale boosting goodness, bunny or not! Much different scenario against the Suns and us playing at home.

North hasn't had the wood on us at all. Hawks though, it is the case of you do just write off that loss if it does happen. Similar to Geelong in Geelong or any games in Tasmania. Historically low percentage games are like that to a large degree.

Those streaks are meant to die, but it does diminish what could be taken out of a game. We do come in it with a serious mental advantage after all and it only takes a run on for Saints players to be really fighting not going into their shells.

Beating Saints is a good confidence boost, but like GC, you can't take anything out of that game that indicates we've fixed some key flaws.

Last edited:
North hasn't had the wood on us at all. Hawks though, it is the case of you do just write off that loss if it does happen. Similar to Geelong in Geelong or any games in Tasmania. Historically low percentage games are like that to a large degree.

Those streaks are meant to die, but it does diminish what could be taken out of a game. We do come in it with a serious mental advantage after all and it only takes a run on for Saints players to be really fighting not going into their shells.

Beating Saints is a good confidence boost, but like GC, you can't take anything out of that game that indicates we've fixed some key flaws.
Not sure about that last bit really. We've had trouble with small forwards for years, if we can negate them with our best small defender missing it means a bit.

That said, I'd rather we perform that way against better sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about that last bit really. We've had trouble with small forwards for years, if we can negate them with our best small defender missing it means a bit.

That said, I'd rather we perform that way against better sides.

Win the midfield battle and it won't matter how dangerous their small forwards are.

Like all forwards, it's about supply and it's doubly worse as unlike a tall forward, they're much more relying on being opportunistic (which would make it much more inconsistent).

Win the midfield battle and it won't matter how dangerous their small forwards are.
Yes and no, we've given up decent scores despite limiting i50 numbers (except North)

Yes and no, we've given up decent scores despite limiting i50 numbers (except North)

You can handle it if your forward line is functional. Outside of the Geelong game, we haven't been far from the average points given up for a side (~80 points, with Hawks being 87, North/Sydney being 71).

Really small forwards are a much easier proposition to suffocate then anything else. You may get a slight upswing of performance from them if your KPDs are competent (seeing any time you spoil the ball, you bring small forwards into the game if they haven't taken themselves out of the contest), but it is much easier to control the amount of supply then a key forward for instance.

Hi, just popping in to ask a couple of questions as a Carlton fan (to quote Threepio from Star Wars "Don't Shoot !!)

1 - How is Matty Wright going ? Loved him in his brief time at Carlton, I hope he is kicking ass in the SANFL both as a player and development coach

2 - Who do you support when your traditional SANFL team plays The Crows ?
I am a Woodsville-West Torrens fans myself. Quote curious to know that tbh.

Best of luck for the rest of the season, both in the SANFL and AFL (Unlike many others, I am not fussed about the Draft pick swap shenanigans, it is what it is)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back