The on topic thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The FA opened the Pandoras box a few years ago now. Can't even remember who it was but once the punished the first one for historic tweets they have to punish the lot.

No-one will ever fight a punishment but I doubt it would stand up in court.

Was that precedent punishing a tweet sent while underage though?

I think there needs to be a level of common sense used as we get into an era where kids as young as 10/11 will have a twitter account

I think there needs to be a level of common sense used as we get into an era where kids as young as 10/11 will have a twitter account
Spot on. Case just recently where a 27 yo woman was appointed chief editor for well known magazine. But staff objected because of tweets she posted a decade earlier as a 17 yo about Asians and gay people. Rightly offensive but since then she’s gained a rep as good politics writer who has written good articles about race and defending minorities. She has for years apologised profusely for her teen tweets. Does she pay for that mistake for the rest of her life?

Except that a large part of why historical tweets would be punished is for PR purposes*, and the people who would be appeased don't really show common sense when it comes to matters like this

*it can hardly be called educational if the tweets in question were from many years ago (especially while the person was a minor) and it hasn't happened again. The fact that it hasn't repeated is proof alone that the player in question has learned it was inappropriate

What would the criminal statute of limitation be for a hate crime? This happened 9 years ago, not a couple of years ago. I see no value in an investigation or any retrospective ban now. Bowen already knows it was stupid and wont do it again.

If this is really being pursued the FA have gone utterly bonkers.

What would the criminal statute of limitation be for a hate crime? This happened 9 years ago, not a couple of years ago. I see no value in an investigation or any retrospective ban now. Bowen already knows it was stupid and wont do it again.

If this is really being pursued the FA have gone utterly bonkers.

Hamza Choudhury had the same thing happen to him in 2019 - 5k fine at the end of it which should serve as a fair precedent.

I doubt he ever plays against Arsenal.

My reaction was him having a 20 year old son.

He is 43 years old. Most people on this forum have parents who had them or a sibling by the age of 23. It’s not like Didier is 38 or something.

He is 43 years old. Most people on this forum have parents who had them or a sibling by the age of 23. It’s not like Didier is 38 or something.

I dunno about most. 23 is pretty young to have a kid.

I dunno about most. 23 is pretty young to have a kid.

I guess it was fairly common in older generations, early to mid 20 years olds in the 60’s to 80’s, than say the last 20 years. But yeah, saying “most” is likely off the mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha i had 2 kids by 23, not planned though.

872704.gif

I guess it was fairly common in older generations, early to mid 20 years olds in the 60’s to 80’s, than say the last 20 years. But yeah, saying “most” is likely off the mark.
My parents were 28 and 30 when I was born. Not sure when mine will be born but I'll be a lot older.

Looks like his Dad but can he play like him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back